Monster 2.4's

Options

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2003
    Options
    both pairs marked high freq? those must be for Tri- Wiring.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Apex
    Apex Posts: 69
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well from what i gather,so don't try to prove me wrong and all,cuz i won't care.
    I think it says hi pass on both sides is because the L/R speakers are considered to be mids/highs,Not really Subwoofers.I know some Towers do have subwoofers,not to the extent of an external sub though.Cuz if they did why would we be buying subwoofer systems?.So I THINK,like i said THINK,this maybe the reason it does not say "Low Pass".

In car audio,the front seperates have hi and low frequencies seperated at the crossover.Even though it "SAYS" low on the crossover,doesn't mean it will go to low frequencies as a subwoofer,so why does it say low?.

So i think it would be best suited to say "Mid pass" not "low pass" anyway.
    H/K AVR7000

"LSI25's bi-wired with 2.4s

Mirage OM c2 Center "LSiC soon"

FX300i rears "LSi15's soon for the rears".

• Apex
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Got my 2.4s in,i have yet to hook em up.But the terminals are labled with High and low pass.
    H/K AVR7000

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Cool Apex, I still haven't gotten a reply from Monster. I figure if nothing shows monday in my inbox, I'll call the 800 no.

Not that it REALLY matters at this point, but just to finish out the discussion.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • infinitiqx4
    infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by rlw
    According to Monster, the "Hi Pass" is supposed to conduct the high frequencies, and the bass is supposed to go to the other conductors.

We all agree that 60Hz is bass, right?

Can somebody please take a set of 2.4 Hi Pass cable, strip off both ends on both conductors.

Insert one end of positive conductor into one side of AC outlet. Insert same end of negative conductor into other side of AC outlet.

Shove the other positive conductor end where you like, and put the other negative conductor end under your tongue.

Post your results and whether you think the cable blocks low frequencies, and whether you think Monster is full of ****.

:lol: If it actually is labelled "high pass" its ridiculous. High pass should refer to a filter- and if these wires are filtering then they SUCK.

$300 for speaker wire? And I thought I got ripped off when I paid $100 for 4channel RCAs that were 5 meters in length (that's about 16.4 ft for those of you scared of metric). BTW those are Monster's top car RCAs. They're good and help shielding out noise- but the "drain wire" is total gimmick.
  • Apex
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I just hooked them up and the results compared to the 14g are phenominal.I didn't think i would've actually gained so much volume and clarity.

I haven't really had the chance yet to sit and scruntinize the finer details.Since i'm expecting a baby boy in a week or two.

Before when i'd listen to Van halen or Tool i would go to about 10 on my H/k for some kick **** sound.Now i only have to go to 30.To me that is worth the money since i don't have to push the recicever so hard anymore.
    H/K AVR7000

• infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Apex
    I just hooked them up and the results compared to the 14g are phenominal.I didn't think i would've actually gained so much volume and clarity.

So my roommate just paid $400 for a one hour session with the best psychic around. He came home and said "That was phenominal. I gained so much clarity."

To each his own :D
  • Apex
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If you say "each his own" why are you critizing how much i paid?and what i felt about these cables?.

Also are you saying,i didn't notice these differences?,and that i'm full of it?.Cuz if you are my g/f that hates my obsession with h/t noticed it also.She also thought it was a waste until i hooked them up too.
    H/K AVR7000

• infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Options
    There is a smiley face- it means be merry. If you noticed a difference and are happy- then who am I to say you made a mistake? You are happy and that's all that really matters. But generally spending $350 on speaker wiring is pretty silly compared to other weak points in the system. If you had single 14 gauge wire before, you could likely be just as happy bi-wiring 12 gauge oxygen free wire that would cost 1/4 the price. Spend the time and money on calibrating your TV, tuning your equipment, installing some sound treatments, etc. It sounds like you are saving up for 2000s, I certainly would have saved that extra money towards a big improvement like that. But that is just my preference.

Come on, the claims like high pass by Monster are pretty ridiculous. If we are criticizing anybody it is Monster for their behavior- not you for trying to improve your system. To that matter, please do try some back to back tests. Perhaps try switching the "low and high" cables and seeing if there is any difference. Try running just one set and not bi-wiring, see how much of the improvement is from bi-wiring.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Russ,

You are correct. The conductors are the same for both the low pass and high pass leads on that cable.

Lawrence Villasenor
    AMD Monster
    455 Valley Drive
    Brisbane CA 94005
    Direct 415-840-2026
    Phone 415-840-2000 x3583
    Fax 415-468-0176
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Russ,

You are correct. The conductors are the same for both the low pass and high pass leads on that cable.

And then you replied "So why the hell are they labled for low pass and high pass then?" Right Russ?

I hope someone does. I'd like to hear the response.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I did, no answer.

Major tired-head on this one.
  • Apex
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Come on, the claims like high pass by Monster are pretty ridiculous. If we are criticizing anybody it is Monster for their behavior- not you for trying to improve your system. To that matter, please do try some back to back tests. Perhaps try switching the "low and high" cables and seeing if there is any difference. Try running just one set and not bi-wiring, see how much of the improvement is from bi-wiring.

Well these cables retail at like $700.00.I wouldn't spend that much.For the price i got them,i could've only bought the 1.4s.
    But ok,i'll try switching them around and let you know what i notice.Also i'm the process of moving,so all of my DVDs are boxed up.So all put in some audio and see what i notice.

No hard feelings,but why is it ridiculous for monster to claim high pass?.
    H/K AVR7000

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Got my 2.4s in,i have yet to hook em up.But the terminals are labled with High and low pass.
    Apex, What speakers did you hook these wires up to????
    How many feet??
    Sorry If I missed - just remembered this thread.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Options
    why is it ridiculous for monster to claim high pass?.

Well, first of all it has already been stated that the two wires are the same. So how can the same wire do high pass and the same wire do low pass? There is no difference.

Saying "high pass" means a filter. These are low resistance wires- not filters!!! Even just a first order filter would need a real resistor and capacitor, and most audio filters are higher order (consider crossover networks, etc).

I hope they just intended to help label things for convenience... but in a bi-wire setup with identical cables (not bi-amp) there is no reason to!

NO REASON WHATSOEVER TO CLAIM LOW PASS OR HIGH PASS! That is why phuz and russman are scratching their heads over Monster's response.
  • Apex
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The cables are 8ft hooked up to RT100I's.

low/hi pass are the same on these wires?.I would think it wouldn't be that hard for them to seperate the cable into two parts and use different capacitors on each end.

In car audio i use bass filters on my mid drivers and tweeters,these are quite small enough to fit into where the cable splits up.So i still don't see how they wouldn't use a different filter for each end.
    H/K AVR7000

• scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    At retail the wires cost almost the same as your speakers.
    A 5/10 grand speakers ya. $700 for speakers wires for Polk rt's - not too sure there. I agree with some of the people on here - could have upgraded else where and did better. Just MPO/2cents
  • Apex
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well it's not like i'm never going to upgrade to different speakers.I know these cables out do the speakers now.I just thought they where a good buy.

Your system is only as good as your interconnects IMHO.
    H/K AVR7000

• Apex
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Duh thats what i meant.
    H/K AVR7000

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I would think it wouldn't be that hard for them to seperate the cable into two parts and use different capacitors on each end.

In car audio i use bass filters on my mid drivers and tweeters,these are quite small enough to fit into where the cable splits up.So i still don't see how they wouldn't use a different filter for each end.

Sorry, I want to stay in the “what ever works for you” mode, but you’re making it too hard. I can't help but reply to this one...

First, I doubt MC puts capacitors in their wires, but if they did…

If you were in pursuit of pure sound, why would you knowingly put the conditioning of your signal in the hands of a wire manufacturer? How could they know what level of conditioning is right for your speakers vs. mine vs…. I thought this was the joint responsibility of: first, the amp manufacturer, when they design the sound of their circuitry; and second, the speaker manufacturers, when they design their crossovers.

As for your car rig, what is the basis your filter selection? I’ll bet it’s not the wire manufacturer.

Don’t really want to get in your faces over this, but the great and continuing wire debate is all about the degree of transparency of wire. It’s about the degree to which, and cost of, removing all coloration from the amp/ speaker connection. No secret that I’m a low-fi, wire guy, and, in part, I’ll stay there because of rationalizations like this from the hi-end wire folk.

I’ll repeat what I have said before, “If you pay enough for wire, you will hear a difference.”

Of course, that’s only my opinion. I could be wrong… ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well it's not like i'm never going to upgrade to different speakers.I know these cables out do the speakers now.I just thought they where a good buy.
    Apex, good answer!!!!!
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Maybe just maybe they label them for Bi-amping??????
    ya know it would make good sense if you were useing 2- 2channel amps to know which is low pass and which is high pass strictly for amp wireing purposes, But they could have marked them wire set 1 and wire set 2 but does that look as fancy as low and high pass???/ 700 retail for wire is crazy even i'f you have the lsi's, i mean put them on a 3,4or 5000 $$ dollar set of speakers but to pay almost as much be it me with my 70's or lsi15's thats just alot of money
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dudes,
    I believe the labels are there just for dummies.They put the labels there so you hook up the wires correctly.They are also color coated for the same reason.The word high pass means nothing other then hook it up to the top posts and low pass to the lower posts.Thats it.Monster will not claim that there wires are different.
    If you guys would take some time learning about how Monster builds all of there wires,you would understand.
    In short,Monster time corrects there wires.They put alot of technology into building them.The way the wind there wires,different gauges within the wire,Dielectric,etc.All of this is explained on the web site if you just take the time to read it.
    For me since I own Monster Bi wires which are labeled,I go with sounds best.I also built these cables in the past,I already knew they where exactly the same inside.
    Buying M2.4s bi wires for rti100's is overkill.But now he has upgradability in speakers without needing to change the wires.Thats a good thing.You can use those cables on Lsi if you wanted.That would make a killer combo.
    Good wire costs alot.Believe in it or not.Sound is all that matters to me.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Apex
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Dudes,
    I believe the labels are there just for dummies.They put the labels there so you hook up the wires correctly.They are also color coated for the same reason.The word high pass means nothing other then hook it up to the top posts and low pass to the lower posts.Thats it.Monster will not claim that there wires are different.
    If you guys would take some time learning about how Monster builds all of there wires,you would understand.
    In short,Monster time corrects there wires.They put alot of technology into building them.The way the wind there wires,different gauges within the wire,Dielectric,etc.All of this is explained on the web site if you just take the time to read it.
    For me since I own Monster Bi wires which are labeled,I go with sounds best.I also built these cables in the past,I already knew they where exactly the same inside.
    Buying M2.4s bi wires for rti100's is overkill.But now he has upgradability in speakers without needing to change the wires.Thats a good thing.You can use those cables on Lsi if you wanted.That would make a killer combo.
    Good wire costs alot.Believe in it or not.Sound is all that matters to me.

Well said :)
    H/K AVR7000

• mantis
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thank you.
    Dan
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Mantis,
    Gave you enough s**t in your "Starter wire" thread last night so I'm going to leave you alone here... No, no need to thank me... but if you would please answer my earlier question.
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    OK, I am color blind, and what I really want to know is,
    "Is that carpet pink?"
    Ain't kidding, I really am color blind...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Justin,
    where is the full review on your newly acquired m2.4? I haven't found anybody that says the cable doesn't improved their system, so before I seriously consider it (damned expensive cable, but if it worth the money, then it might relatively its cost is reasonable). I like to get as much information as I can, including its low points, if any. Thanks....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Tour2ma,
    The color of my rug is light brown.The pic with the Home Depot wire was shot on our dinningroom table.The table cloth is what you see in that pic.That changes all the time so no color I can say it is as it isn't the same from day to day.Mrs Mantis likes to change things around.
    Dan
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Tour2ma,
    Mrs Mantis likes to change things around.
    :lol::lol:
    Thanks, as payment for the laugh I offer you one week of my "silence" in your "high-wire" discussions.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Apex
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    Justin,
    where is the full review on your newly acquired m2.4? I haven't found anybody that says the cable doesn't improved their system, so before I seriously consider it (damned expensive cable, but if it worth the money, then it might relatively its cost is reasonable). I like to get as much information as I can, including its low points, if any. Thanks....

Well i just currently moved,so i haven't had much time to scrutinze details.But i will say i did notice a diiference with clarity.Imaging was more defined.

Before when i'd listen to Van halen or Tool i would go to about 10 on my H/k for some kick **** sound.Now i only have to go to 30.To me that is worth the money since i don't have to push the recicever so hard anymore.

To be honest i wouldn't pay $750.00 for these,since that wouldn't be in my budget.So that's why i bought them off of Ebay for $350.00.
    H/K AVR7000