Monster 2.4's

Apex
Apex Posts: 69
I recently bought some 2.4's on Ebay.i haven't recieved them yet.I was wondering,what do i have to look forward too?.
Since i haven't heard these cables in person.

I'm just soo excited,i can't wait to get em.:D

Thanks
Justin
H/K AVR7000

"LSI25's bi-wired with 2.4s

Mirage OM c2 Center "LSiC soon"

FX300i rears "LSi15's soon for the rears".

Post edited by Apex on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited January 2003
    Hope you got a good deal.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Apex
    edited January 2003
    You think $350.00 is a good enough deal??
    H/K AVR7000

• yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited January 2003
    Yes...let me know what you think of them and what differences you hear, as I am considering them as well. :)
  • Apex
    edited January 2003
    Will do
    H/K AVR7000

• mantis
    edited January 2003
    Realism and truth come to mind when listening to those cables.I'd upgrade to them over my M1.4s as the are clearer and deeper sounding.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Dan, why are the cables labeled 'high pass' on the bottom posts?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    The label means nothing.The M1.4s biwires uses the same exact 4 conductors.I like the way the wire lays with the low pass hooked up to the tweeter side and visa vera.
    I had them hook up according to the label years ago,different speakers,had banana ends on them.
    It doesn't matter which way.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    That seems an odd response for a couple reasons.

1. Historically, you have been a big proponent of all of Monster's propoganda so I find it odd that you would dismiss it summarily.

2. Why have a High Pass wire at all? If they are exactly the same why label them?

I don't intend this as a knock on Dan as I have my doubts about there being any difference, my point is that I think a LOT of Monster's propoganda is BS. It just adds to my general skepticism of high dollar wire

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by TroyD
    That seems an odd response for a couple reasons.

1. Historically, you have been a big proponent of all of Monster's propoganda so I find it odd that you would dismiss it summarily.

2. Why have a High Pass wire at all? If they are exactly the same why label them?

I don't intend this as a knock on Dan as I have my doubts about there being any difference, my point is that I think a LOT of Monster's propoganda is BS. It just adds to my general skepticism of high dollar wire

BDT
    Troy Troy Troy,
    Ok....LOL to start out with.The little lable helps you hook up the wires correctly.Giving positive and negitive to each SET of binding posts.One say's high pass and one says low pass.The label doesn't tell the story of how good or how phony this cable is.This set of wires retails for 300.00.And my friend there is more reasons then just a label.This wire is 2nd from top of the line M series.The sound quality is awesome for the money.Serious listeners tend to pay attention to detail.Pointing out the low pass label is a very good honest question.Now if the conductors where designed for there duties as low and high,then wiring them this way wouldn't yield max performance out of the wire.
    I know that all conductors are exactly the same as I have ran bulk M1.4s wire.It's some awesome sounding wire.
    I have conducted a sootout with these wires against Home Depot 12x2 gauge wire.The results where unbelievable.The Home Depot wire seem to suffacate the Lsi15's to the point they didn't sound like thereselves.The tweeter became pronounced and a slight edge was added to the overall sound quality.I even made my own jumpers out of the 12 guage wire.I still have this horrible sounding wire on my back porch.I'll even snap you a pic.It's the real nice HD wire with the copper side and the metal whatever it is side.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    On a 4 conductor, bi-wire cable, there is no need for labeling, I think thats the point here.

Why are they labeled? On a bi-wire cable, it doesnt matter which - neg wire and which + pos wire is hooked to which post, as long as polarity is straight.

By your theory, which may indeed be correct, you could hook the high pass NEG cable to the upper NEG post, and high pass POS cable to the lower POS post, and so forth.

Why label them? Your opinion on said wire, or HD wire for that matter is not the issue, it has been dully noted. The issue is why does Monster label the wires, if it doesn't matter?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    Hd fellas,
    Dan
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Ahhhh i c.....my b......wrong wire - eh..i like that wire...
    and mantis....thats tinned copper ;)
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    On a 4 conductor, bi-wire cable, there is no need for labeling, I think thats the point here.

Why are they labeled? On a bi-wire cable, it doesnt matter which - neg wire and which + pos wire is hooked to which post, as long as polarity is straight.

By your theory, which may indeed be correct, you could hook the high pass NEG cable to the upper NEG post, and high pass POS cable to the lower POS post, and so forth.

Why label them? Your opinion on said wire, or HD wire for that matter is not the issue, it has been dully noted. The issue is why does Monster label the wires, if it doesn't matter?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    I really don't know the answer to your question as 2 why they put the labels on them.Dress it up?Make it pretty?I really don't have a tech answer for yeah.
    The HD wire is that I have some,pic above for demoing only.Awhile back alot of people in here thought it was crazy to spend alot of money on wire.I have heard over the years,better wire sounds better just to be general.A job I did where a customer has an electrician wire his theater with HD wire,there was some left over,I asked if I could have the scraps,they where going to go in the trash,so I took them home for some wire shootouts.The HD wire is now turning green and it's not even 5 months old.Sound quality is horrible when compared to Monster bulk 14 guage and gets destroyed when compared to the M1.4s.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Ok, I guess you don't want to answer the question, but you really don't have to, sounds like something the manufacturer needs to address. I'll talk to Monster cs tomorrow and get thier take on it.

Nice pic of standard wire, I don't see any 'green', or have I just gone colorblind? ;)

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    My pic kinda sucks,
    well I'm no photographer but if you look at the silver side,inside the clear jacket,it's turning green.
    Russ it's not that I don't want to answer it,I just don't have a tech answer.It makes no sence to me.It needs not to be there.But it is.Post back what Monster tells you.This should be good.
    Dan
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Mantis- the SILVER side is a cheap tinned plated copper, this goes into the black terminal. The copper goes into the red. The tin is cheap and does oxidate early. Nothing said it wouldn't. I didn't hear you say anything about the copper oxidating, now did I?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    The copper side didn't turn green,yes the silver side did.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited January 2003
    M2.4s Biwire features a sophisticated combination of multiple-gauge wire networks to optimize frequency and phase response

I got this from the Monster website. Essentially this tells me that they have 'optimized' certain condutors for certain frequencies. So, that would lead me to think that Monster wants you to think that there is a difference. If there is no difference, than what Monster said is a load of fertilizer. If THAT is the case, sorta makes you wonder what else is a load of fertilizer.

Dan, Dan, Dan,

Talk to me as condescendingly as you like but something isn't adding up here. I'm not debating that Monster sounds better than HD (we've been through that) what I am saying is that Monster is trying to sell a bill of goods that is misleading at best. Dishonest is a better term, I think. It would also make one wonder what else they are full of BS on as well. How much it sells for and where it falls in the product line isn't the issue. That's just saying that if it costs more, well, it MUST be better. As you know, I don't believe that for a second.

My point here is that all along, I've thought that a lot of the propoganda surrounding wire is largely unsubstantiated non-sense and this just furthers that sentiment to me.

BDT
  • Apex
    edited January 2003
    Well guys,I have 14g monster wire.

Once i get these in i'll compare the 2.4s to regular 14g,and give you my honset opinion.
    H/K AVR7000

• RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by ATCVenom

The Z2 bi-wires dominated the MIT'.s Considering the M2.4's are a few levels above the Z2, it should be....once again,, no contest.

A Bi-wire cable, against a regular 2 conductor? It better have 'dominated'. ;)
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    M2.4s Biwire features a sophisticated combination of multiple-gauge wire networks to optimize frequency and phase response
    Troy Troy Troy,
    this isn't by set of conductors,it's in the conductor itself.If you cut one open,inside are multigauge wires,twisted counter clockwise,a centercore tube.Theres alot going on inside.There not lieing with this statement.
    All 4 conductors are made the same way.If you buy M1.2s wire,it's the same as the M1.4s wire only less conductors.2 instead of 4.2 wire .......4 wire.
    I don't know why you jump to say hey there full of ****.Whatever there reasons for building there wires the way they do,label them or not, they sound really good.I don't really care about build and labels,I care about sound quality.If it sounds good,I'm in.If the Home Depot wire sounded good,and it didn't turn green,I'd use it.I don't care who made it,It's gotta sound good,thats all.Companies can go on and on about networks and twisted this way for this reason,shielding and what kind of dielectric they use.It means nothing if the wire can't perform.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited January 2003
    Simple fact is, and my point is, if they label it as such then they want you to believe there is a difference. If there isn't, it's dishonest. Otherwise, there is no need to label.

Like I said, it may be no big deal but it serves to reinforce my skepticism. I will bet that if I went to Tweeter tomorrow and bought this pair of cables that if I asked the salesman 'why does this pair say High Pass' that I'll be told that they are optimized for the high frequencies. Anybody want to bet?

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited January 2003
    I don't buy that it's to simplify the connection. That's why you have the positive cables one color and the negative the other. That dog just doesn't hunt.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    How's that hand terminated 16/2 lamp cord I sent you sound?

If it's the same 4 conductors, then it doesn't matter, of course as long as polarity is observed. I'll email monster tomorrow for thier take, then we can put this post to bed.

The more I think about it, there are a lot of dumb, well, uniformed consumers. I can see labling HIGH and LOW pass on the cables, saving a TON of tech support emails and phone calls. BUT then again, I hope those same uniformed consumers aren't buying $300 (or whatever) cables, without having a basic understanding of the design.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    I think it is amazing how you 2 can bicker so much over a label,then make it into why your skeptical about wire.I say stay away from it and go with what you believe in.

I agree with ATCvenom that it's black and white.For lack of a technical answer it's there for the common man to hook up correctly.
    Just because a wire costs 300.00 doesn't mean the person buying is always going to fully understand the built,install or any other end except it sounded reeally good when that person listened.
    I shouldn't have posted the pic,then all this could have been avoided.Hell if I would have hooked them up correctly,then it would have been.
    Guys relax,call Monster,Email,hell I will go out of my way to find the correct answers for you.I will call tomarrow.
    Dan
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Nice pic of standard wire, I don't see any 'green', or have I just gone colorblind? ;)

OK, I am color blind, and what I really want to know is,
    "Is that carpet pink?"
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    edited January 2003
    Still not buying, if a person is too dumb to figure out polarity, they are going to know what High Pass means? Nope, didn't think so.

No biggie Dan, you think that they are trying to simplify and I think they are peddling a load of fertilizer. No biggie.

Russ,

The new cord looks GREAT, nice solid connections, and sounds great on the 'combat rig'. Thanks a million!!

//aside to crowd, Russ built some custom cables, for free, to hook up my 'combat rig' that I'm taking to the desert//

BDT
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited January 2003
    According to Monster, the "Hi Pass" is supposed to conduct the high frequencies, and the bass is supposed to go to the other conductors.

We all agree that 60Hz is bass, right?

Can somebody please take a set of 2.4 Hi Pass cable, strip off both ends on both conductors.

Insert one end of positive conductor into one side of AC outlet. Insert same end of negative conductor into other side of AC outlet.

Shove the other positive conductor end where you like, and put the other negative conductor end under your tongue.

Post your results and whether you think the cable blocks low frequencies, and whether you think Monster is full of ****.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2003
    I have seen others post that they use brand X for the high freq. and brand Y for the low freq.

I bet you anything Monster Cable "salesmen" will tell you that the stranding..insulation..configuation..yada yada IS different for the low and high connections in that cable, and that you SHOULD connect the high pass to your upper posts.

It is funny to see the "extra" care MC has taken to lable this wire HIGH PASS, and now we have a THX certified installer saying ah it's **** wire it how you want.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • donahue
    donahue Posts: 125
    edited January 2003
    This thread is both interesting and funny. I just bought a pair of these cables and one of them has all of the four conductors marked as high-frequency. What does that mean? It means that someone labeled them incorrectly at Monster. Therefore, I find it hard to believe that there is any differences between the high and the low conductors.