Beautiful day, went to bike store and got new tires.

2»

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited April 2008
    Running shoes are a lot cheaper.;)

You make a valid point. It can get you out there. On the bike or on the sneaker, the path awaits you.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2008
    What do you guys think of the Lemond Alp d huez?I can get a 2007 with Dura Ace for about $1800 from a connection I have. I can't post a link right now from my iPhone.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    What do you guys think of the Lemond Alp d huez?I can get a 2007 with Dura Ace for about $1800 from a connection I have. I can't post a link right now from my iPhone.
    Road bike very nice for the money. I perfer Specialized and Trek.
    Dan
  • mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited April 2008
    Dura Ace is the creme de la creme, yeah campy has more bling appeal but you will never wear dura ace out. (unless you plan on riding over 10,000 miles a year) That parts kit would probably cost that much alone, not including wheels.

reynold 853 steel tubeing is about as stiff as steel tubing gets, won't be as stiff as aluminum sprinting but will ride smoother than an equally priced aluminum rig.

A better carbon bike with those parts will be 4000.00 and up so dollar for dollar that is a great deal.

The real key is the fit, if that is good go for it.

That bike is above entry level so take your intentions into consideration as well, the best bike in the world does no good if you don't ride it.

Oh another thing, good road bikes are like good amps, they don't really wear out so don't be afraid of used, many people buy a pimp bike and never ride it.
  • mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited April 2008
    sorry my bad, the frame is no longer reynolds 853. it is now a mix of 6061 and carbon fiber. That bike should ride well, didn't take the time to look at geometry but if they build similar geometry to trek (same company, that frame is outsourced while the high end treks are made in house) you should be good. They tend to be more stable than some
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited April 2008
    but you will never wear dura ace out.

Beg to differ. Just had a 9 speed DA shifter die on me after a gentle crash onto the side of the road about a month ago. Replaced it with a scratch and dent 105. DA is beautiful stuff, it's like riding art. BUT, if you crash and damage anything, the cost of replacement quickly becomes very, very painful.

Shimano also designs their stuff to NOT be serviceable or repairable, unlike Campy. Keep this in mind.

Just got back from 26 miles at 19 mph with 2 other guys who race a class above me... I'm beat.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • wingnut4772
    edited April 2008
    I never liked Campy. I don't know why I have always prefered the Shimano. The Lemond comes with 105 but I can get it with a Dura Ace set that was traded in by someone for Sram stuff ( not familiar with that) after only a few miles so it's a minty-ish set. Not so sure I dig the wheels though.

Sorry. I guess I've derailed a bit here.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• mantis
    edited April 2008
    Temp dropped today, it's only getting into the mid 50's from 70's just a dat ago. This change in the weather has me feeling wierd/ kinda sick.

I'm not riding in this mad weather. I will now wait until it's levels out a bit. I don't need to get sick which I already kinda feel.

Sucks
    Dan
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2008
    dude, i hate getting started mtn biking here in az because the winters are cool, but try riding in 100 degree temperature. and that's if you get up BEFORE the sun comes up!

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2008
    mantis wrote: »
    Your body is worth more then the bike man. Health is so important. I find no better way to spend money. I perfer it even over audio/video.... unless it's winter time.

Dan

Absolutely! I'm looking to head out for the first ride of the year in 2 weekends and hopefully, keep it going for most weekends there on out.

A nice long ride on the trail away from all the BS of life sure is good for the soul!
    No excuses!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    I never had a mountain bike and reading through this thread about mountain bikes and road bikes has throughly confused me.

What I do miss are my 20" BMX and Freestyle bikes. I had 7 of them at one point. Had a Schwinn (all chrome), a Mongoose (also chromed), a Dyno Comp I built from spare parts, a GT Freestyle that was white with custom sponge painted with neon colors, a Hutch that was black and green, and two GT Performers, one was blue and white and the other all black with neon purple lettering. The blue and white GT had feet tires with footprints for tread.

I think I'd feel weird riding one again, I dunno. But I can pick up a Mongoose Spin for about $120 from Dick's and since I'm only 5' 7", I'm not too tall for one. It'd be good for the track too. The Mongoose Team Issue looks snazzy though.

Lookit all those spokes!

pG01-4152324dt.jpg

I don't see kids riding these bikes anymore. Most have mountain bikes of the 24" or 26" variety. These are pretty inexpensive bikes these BMX and Freestyle bikes and when I was a kid, they were our main source of transportation. Most of them seem quite inexpensive but some like GT's are still pretty expensive. Might have to take a ride down to Ricco's Cyclery soon and see what he has hanging around.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2008
    mantis wrote: »
    Temp dropped today, it's only getting into the mid 50's from 70's just a dat ago. This change in the weather has me feeling wierd/ kinda sick.

I'm not riding in this mad weather. I will now wait until it's levels out a bit. I don't need to get sick which I already kinda feel.

Sucks

Tell me about it. I rode the m'cycle to work this morning and about froze my nay-nays off. Supposed to be back in the 70's for the end of the week, though.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    BIZILL wrote: »
    dude, i hate getting started mtn biking here in az because the winters are cool, but try riding in 100 degree temperature. and that's if you get up BEFORE the sun comes up!

I have in 105 degree with the sun up. It sucks but not really. I felt pretty good after my 20 mile ride in that heat. I use a camelback so I have plenty of water with me.

I have been to AZ, it's just crazy how hot it is. Last time I was out there my eyes kept drying up. Just like when I was in Vegas. Crazy ****.

Dan
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Absolutely! I'm looking to head out for the first ride of the year in 2 weekends and hopefully, keep it going for most weekends there on out.

A nice long ride on the trail away from all the BS of life sure is good for the soul!

I need it 2 man. Cabin fever is in full effect. I gotta get out.

Dan
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    nadams wrote: »
    Tell me about it. I rode the m'cycle to work this morning and about froze my nay-nays off. Supposed to be back in the 70's for the end of the week, though.

I'll be out there as soon as this new cold breaks. Figures weather goes crazy and now I have a cold.:(
    Dan
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2008
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pissed...............

I went for a break in ride yesterday (only about 10 miles) and i notice my rear shock is feeling way to soft......so i get done with my ride and go to fill it up and the thing wont' hold air. Took it to the bike shop today and the thing was bottomed out completely so either i can spend ~$60 to rebuild it, or I can spend $250ish to upgrade to a Fox Float R that has some adjustments to it. While I'm there I'm thinking about upgrading to disc brakes as well......

There's nothing wrong with my bike (that would make me want to replace it....obviously the shock is shot).......it's a 7 year old full suspension Trek..........so i figure even if I do get the shock replaced and add the brakes, it'll be good for another 6 or 7 years or so..............
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    Hooray for hardtails! :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2008
    not so, says your sac............ ;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • wingnut4772
    edited April 2008
    I prefer hard tails myself.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,984
    edited April 2008
    Just get a gel seat with the "area" cutout and you can wiggle to comfort. Hard tail rider here, wouldn't have it any other way.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~