Beautiful day, went to bike store and got new tires.

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,185
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Well I almost walked out with a full susppension Specialized Stumpjumper. Sweat bike man. I took a test drive and started to fall in love. it rode exaclty how I would like a bike to ride. The brakes where incredible and the suspension was quite Impressive.

I made the mistake of buying WBT tires in the Veloceraptors, they are extreme mud tire and good for that but suck at every other kind of riding. I ride alot on hard packed trails and technical trails. I wanted a better tire for cornering then what I had last year and took the advise of a bike guy and tried them out. Well after last year and 600 miles later,I hated them . So this year I got a faster skinnier smoother riding tire in Specialized Xtrails. 82 bucks later I have 2 new 26 x 2.0 front and rear which I was using 26 x 2.1. Alittle skinnier and man I only road 2.78 miles today to test them out and I'll admit , they are the best all around tire I have tried. Man I love em. So smooth on hard packed, excellent on concrete and can take a turn hard with no slipping. They also roll fast. I feel I can keep a higher pace then with the WBT's. On average I ride in the woods at 12 mph. With the new tires I can maintain a 14 mph with the same or less effort. It's nice.

More money per tire and so well worth it. If you need new tires for your mountain bike , check out Specialized tires. O they are also lighter then the WBT's. Sweet tires .
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,984
    edited April 2008
    Reading what you wrote sure did bring me back to my riding days. You make me want to pump up the tires and take a spin! One of the advantages to having a tire that is not specifically for mudding is the weight of the tire itself. I have been amazed in the past when I went from mud tires back to road tires how much faster I took off and maintained speed. Yes, corners weren't something you had to be cautious with.

Michelin also makes a great tire as well in my experience.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    Here are some photos of the new tires and the old ones after I removed them. Notice the difference in tread pattern.

NewBikeTires006.jpg
    NewBikeTires005.jpg
    NewBikeTires004.jpg
    NewBikeTires003.jpg
    NewBikeTires002.jpg
    NewBikeTires001.jpg
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Reading what you wrote sure did bring me back to my riding days. You make me want to pump up the tires and take a spin! One of the advantages to having a tire that is not specifically for mudding is the weight of the tire itself. I have been amazed in the past when I went from mud tires back to road tires how much faster I took off and maintained speed. Yes, corners weren't something you had to be cautious with.

Michelin also makes a great tire as well in my experience.

Man dust off the rust and get going. I have been riding for 3 years and I love it. It's a way to get away and clear your mind. Not to mention all the fun and hard workout it is.
    Dan
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,984
    edited April 2008
    mantis wrote: »
    Man dust off the rust and get going. I have been riding for 3 years and I love it. It's a way to get away and clear your mind. Not to mention all the fun and hard workout it is.
    I need to. I rode a bike daily from the age of probably 3 or 4 until I turned 31. Logged well over 130,000 miles in my travels. Ever since I stopped, my belly keeps melting. I used to have an 8-pack, now it's in me.

The longest trip I've ever did in one day was 159 miles. Longest trip in two days was 274 miles from a little south of Charlotte to Greensboro and back just to say "Hi" to my sis' and her hot a$$ roommate at the time. I'm sure right now a long trip would be down to the local park and back.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited April 2008
    I can't wait for some decent weather. 45 degrees, 30mph wind and sideways rain is not my idea of biking weather.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited April 2008
    cubdog wrote: »
    I can't wait for some decent weather. 45 degrees, 30mph wind and sideways rain is not my idea of biking weather.

cubdog

30mph wind 34 degrees blowing snow, sleet crap here in Mn :mad:
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited April 2008
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    30mph wind 34 degrees blowing snow, sleet crap here in Mn :mad:

I guess I shouldn't complain.:D

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    I got up to 72 today and spring fever was in full effect. To bad it's going to rain for the next 3 days and drop down in the 50's...
    Dan
  • mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited April 2008
    Specialized makes some tasty treads. Good rubber, nice shoulder knobs for bite in corners. wtb rubber is to hard, the tires tend to deflect off rocks and don't roll as fast as others.

For hard pack nothing beats Kenda small block 8, they roll so fast and the tread is like velcro. Having more, but smaller knobs allows the tire to conform to surface irregularities better, I was lucky to get 4 for $100 through my gf(some kind of team deal thing)
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    Hmmm, I have those WTB Velociraptors on my bike, now you're making me wonder what I'm missing :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2008
    I have been kicking around getting a road bike again. I have a Specialized - Rockhopper I think. It's just for messing around. That GT is a lot nicer.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • mule
    edited April 2008
    I have been kicking around getting a road bike again. I have a Specialized - Rockhopper I think. It's just for messing around. That GT is a lot nicer.

The passion you guys have for audio is the passion I have for bikes, I love my road bike (madone) but my "What if...." bike is...

2008prince.jpg

at the end of the day it wouldn't make me any faster and at $10,000 it would be a silly waste of money, but on looks alone...
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2008
    I just bought a new bike carrier for my Honda Accord and have SERIOUS spring riding fever again! Here is the bike I bought last year...

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Globe

I bought it mainly for street and smooth trail riding. Nothing harsh.

Mantis, where in PA are you? Have you ever rode here...

http://www.johncarterphoto.com/ncrr/about.html

The mostly flat trail goes from Hunt Valley MD up to York PA. I believe the trail runs about 50 miles in length so far, with plans to extend further north. Last summer and fall, I was doing a 15 mile round trip on the trial every weekend.

You are absolutely right when you said it's great to get out and clear your mind when riding. This is a perfect trail for it!

John
    No excuses!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2008
    Ugh! That seat in post #13 looks like a real ball buster. Now I understand how Lance got his cancer.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • mule
    edited April 2008
    Early B. wrote: »
    Ugh! That seat in post #13 looks like a real ball buster. Now I understand how Lance got his cancer.

Thats funny as hell!

Actually Lance got so fast from running from his wife and kids.

Believe it or not once you develop the muscles this setup becomes more comfortable than a "comfort" bike.

Its common for me to spend 4 to 5 hours pushing pedals and while my neck will get sore and obviously my legs my butt dosen't really bother me.
  • Strong Bad
    edited April 2008
    Get some Specialized riding shorts with the cushy pad in the **** and you'll be fine. I got an upgraded Specialized seat on my bike when I bought it. It has a little bit of gel padding, but not much. It's very small and streamlined like the one on the bike above. I prefer it now.
    No excuses!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2008
    mule wrote: »
    Actually Lance got so fast from running from his wife and kids.

Oh, that explains it all!:p
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I just bought a new bike carrier for my Honda Accord and have SERIOUS spring riding fever again! Here is the bike I bought last year...

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Globe

I bought it mainly for street and smooth trail riding. Nothing harsh.

Mantis, where in PA are you? Have you ever rode here...

http://www.johncarterphoto.com/ncrr/about.html

The mostly flat trail goes from Hunt Valley MD up to York PA. I believe the trail runs about 50 miles in length so far, with plans to extend further north. Last summer and fall, I was doing a 15 mile round trip on the trial every weekend.

You are absolutely right when you said it's great to get out and clear your mind when riding. This is a perfect trail for it!

John

nice bike. I never been there. I live just north of Phila. I ride alot at Penny Pack in Phila, Core Creek Park in Langhorne , Neshimany hills behind the high school which are excellent technical riding and we go up to Jim Thorpe , Pa.

I usually do about 10 to 20 miles per ride. there is a flat run I do hard packed on the side of the Delaware canal and I'll do anywhere from 20 to 30 miles there round trip. It's so nice and peaceful.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I have those WTB Velociraptors on my bike, now you're making me wonder what I'm missing :)

They suck man. I hated mine. they have horrible roll resistance and the treads are so big and stupid. Mountian bikes are not motorcross so they don't require all that tire. They slowed me down alot. I noticed it right away. About 2mph during normal riding.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    Specialized makes some tasty treads. Good rubber, nice shoulder knobs for bite in corners. wtb rubber is to hard, the tires tend to deflect off rocks and don't roll as fast as others.

For hard pack nothing beats Kenda small block 8, they roll so fast and the tread is like velcro. Having more, but smaller knobs allows the tire to conform to surface irregularities better, I was lucky to get 4 for $100 through my gf(some kind of team deal thing)

I looked at the Kenda's , they also make some nice tires. The smaller Knobs do make a huge difference. I feel so much faster now. I hope it doesn't rain all weekend I want to get out there and get some serious riding in.
    Dan
  • mule
    edited April 2008
    I looked at the Kenda's , they also make some nice tires. The smaller Knobs do make a huge difference. I feel so much faster now. I hope it doesn't rain all weekend I want to get out there and get some serious riding in.

Hey, your close to me, I live in downingtown about 10 minutes from westchester university. Just sitting down to fuel up for a ride at Marsh Creek lake.

I think we are ok weather wise this weekend, maybe some scattered rain tonight into tomorrow but probably like today the rest of the weekend.

Have fun!
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2008
    i love my panaracer cinders. grip that gets me up one particular hill where no other tire will.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited April 2008
    I like my bike, i don't havta pedal...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Strong Bad
    edited April 2008
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I like my bike, i don't havta pedal...

Lazy ****! :D
    No excuses!
  • wingnut4772
    edited April 2008
    You guys are really making me want to get back into this. STOP! I can't spend the money!:eek::D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Strong Bad
    edited April 2008
    You guys are really making me want to get back into this. STOP! I can't spend the money!:eek::D

You know you'll blow that $$$ on something stupid later on, so go get the bike NOW!

DO IT!

DO IT!

DO IT!
    No excuses!
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    Hey, your close to me, I live in downingtown about 10 minutes from westchester university. Just sitting down to fuel up for a ride at Marsh Creek lake.

I think we are ok weather wise this weekend, maybe some scattered rain tonight into tomorrow but probably like today the rest of the weekend.

Have fun!

I used to work in West Chester. We where Electronic Enviroments before Tweeter purchased us. We where a part of getting Tweeter into Custom.They where called Bryn Mawr Stereo back then.

Marsh creek huh, how is the ride there? For a day trip, I wouldn't mind checking it out. New place is always welcome. I'm planning on riding this weekend no matter what. I have some hard packed trails that don't get messed up when it rains so I'll be there.

Ride hard , Ride smart.

Dan
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2008
    BIZILL wrote: »
    i love my panaracer cinders. grip that gets me up one particular hill where no other tire will.

thats what I'm talking about. Kill that hill man.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2008

Your body is worth more then the bike man. Health is so important. I find no better way to spend money. I perfer it even over audio/video.... unless it's winter time.

Dan
    Dan
  • wingnut4772
    edited April 2008
    Your body is worth more then the bike man. Health is so important. I find no better way to spend money. I perfer it even over audio/video.... unless it's winter time.

Dan

Running shoes are a lot cheaper.;)
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch