Any Nissan/Infiniti fans here?

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Just came back from the 2008 New York International Auto Show -

Spent a good amount of time looking at the 09 Maxima:
http://www.nissanusa.com/09maxima/index.html

What do you guys think about this car? Does anybody else here like it?

2009-nissan-maxima-spy-hl.jpg
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2008
    Those are some UGLY headlights. And that's one big, square grill...looks like it's straight off that huge honkin' Infiniti SUV.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I can see about the headlights.

Looks like the grill from a Charger or Mustang...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2008
    Here's the grill I was referring to:

infiniti_q56_08.jpg
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    Supposedly it's got 290hp...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited March 2008
    We own a Nissan, wouldn't get another one only due to they don't have anything we like and want for our next vehicle.
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    Which model Nissan do you have?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• rparamount
    rparamount Posts: 10
    edited March 2008
    I own a 2003 Altima 3.5 SE (5 speed). I have modified a few things in it and race it on the track at auto-X. Lotsa fun! I think my next one will either be an Infiniti G37 M6 or a Nissan 350Z.

I don't like the new look of the maxima, that front grill doesn't look great. But then again you might be able to change the grill out with something better in the aftermarket.

-Cheers, RP
    Onkyo TX-SR875, Polk LSi15 Fronts, Polk CS2 Center
    4 JBL Surrounds, Polk PSW505 Subwoofer
    Sony 60" SXRD KDS60A2000 LCOS TV,
    Toshiba HD-A35, PS3, Xbox 360, Harmony 880 Remote
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    Like audiobliss pointed out, it's like the grill from that huge Infiniti SUV (which I don't like) but the rest of the car seems nice.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited March 2008
    I don't know what the hell is wrong with the Nissan designers for the maxima......They seem to thrive on throwing ugly design at this car year after year..........

I hate the headlights, hate the round hood opening, hate the tail lights, hate the trunk opening (where the line starts from rear windshield and is visible twisting around to the taillights) with what looks like the biggest body molded spoiler i've ever seen tried to be integrated. I am hoping that's actually the trunk instead (lesser of two evils).

I like the idea of backseat buckets (except if you have a person in the middle, they're getting lodged on both sides from the inside edge of the buckets), like that it looks like the body is from the Infinity M a bit.....and that it got a bit bigger. Nissan's fit/finish has always been good in my experience.......but Maxima's have always had a **** turning radius.

It's kind of funny on a $30,000+ car, they put a whopping 9.3GB hard drive in for you to play your music on. I mean, come on.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    Someone left it in the microwave too long.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited March 2008
    I was a GM guy before I worked for Nissan. I couldn't believe how long these cars lasted. I also couldn't believe how basically nothing went wrong. When I worked for GM , we has recall after recall, problem after problem and so many only a few years old cars just out of warranty had so many problems. Nissan is a much better built car/truck company.

I purchased my first Nissan in a 1990 Maxima se. It was loaded and a blast to drive. 4 door family car. We traded it in for a 2001 Nissan Xterra se which I got for my wife brand new. The Maxima had like 90k on it and we did nothing to it. Nothing broke. It drove perfect. No squeaks rattles or water leaks. Amazing car. The 2001 Xtrerra we still have. It has like 70 or so K on it and again nothing went wrong. It's solid as a rock.

I drove a BMW 328i and wanted a SUV for myself as I got into Mountian biking in 2004. My wife couldn't drive a stick so when I took the Xterra(it has a 2 inch hitch for my bike rack) She had to stay home. I tried to teach her how to drive a stick but she hated it. She grew up on automatics and found sticks to be a waste of time. She didn't like the fact when I purchased the BMW with a Stick. She loved the car just not driving it. So I traded it in and got a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder se brand new. Like the other 2 Nissans I owned , no problems. It has not 27k on it and it's still like brand new. We keep our cars in the garage and I feel it makes a difference.

This new Maxima is nice. I'm kinda killed on gas engines with the damn prices keep going up. My BMW got 20 to 30 miles per gallon and I loved that. My Pathfinder get 15 to 23 and that sucks.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    My mom has owned 3 or 4 Nissans. Style is completely subjective so if you like it don't listen to anyone else; but they drive great and never break. Ever. Both of the past two Nissans my mom had got above 200k miles, and nothing besides standard maintenance required. Really impressive. And they make some NICE engines.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited March 2008
    We own a body shop and I work on a lot of high end cars. Anything from Vipers to BMW's. And I would have to say out of all of them I am most impressed with the Infinity G35's. The 2005 model to be exact. They seem to start losing some of there appeal to me the newer they get. Not only do they look good but they are put together well. I would say the upper end VW's and Upper end Infinity's are some of the better put together cars that I work on. But to me the 05 G35 is amazingly sexy inside and out.

http://Infinity.jpg
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited March 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    Which model Nissan do you have?

2006, X-Trail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_X-Trail

No longer sold in Canada, they have been replaced by the Rogue :mad::eek:

Sorry forgot to mention we are SUV people and no not the Xover types either. We are looking at the BMW X3 for our next one in a year.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2008
    I love nissan and infiniti....2009 GTR? :)
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited March 2008
    You can't go wrong with Nissan. I have a 1999 Altima with 215000 miles on it that is still ticking and in November bought a used (9000 miles on it) 2007 G35 Sport 6MT Sedan.

There are a ton of good used deals on G35's out there. The Maxima looks pretty sweet, but the front end is different enough from the G35 that I don't like it. You might want to take a look at the G35. They've got a touch more power too. (306hp)

I don't have too many good pictures of my own since the weather has been so crappy out here, but attached some stock photos from Edmunds that are my exact model.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • Lowell_M
    edited March 2008
    nikolas812 wrote: »
    We own a body shop and I work on a lot of high end cars. Anything from Vipers to BMW's. And I would have to say out of all of them I am most impressed with the Infinity G35's. The 2005 model to be exact. They seem to start losing some of there appeal to me the newer they get. Not only do they look good but they are put together well. I would say the upper end VW's and Upper end Infinity's are some of the better put together cars that I work on. But to me the 05 G35 is amazingly sexy inside and out.

http://Infinity.jpg

Nice looking Coupe. Zaino? Do you have any mods on yours? There aren't any decent bolt ons for the 2007 yet. I might go forced induction if stillen comes out with a nice looking system.

...sorry for the hijack...
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited March 2008
    I own the Murano and couldn't be happier.
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    I have a 2006 g35. Couldn't be happier. :D
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    Currently have a Maxima and couldn't be happier. However, most of the problems (that I've been complaining about) have been related to the mechanic. Found a new mechanic, now everything gets fixed right the first time!!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    Im a big fan of Nissan. Had a 98 Frontier back when they first came out and really liked it. Only got rid of it cause I bought my first of 2 Dodge Rams.

I recently bought a Honda Accord which I do love and is the most comfortable and well built car Ive ever owned (tried to buy an Altima first but they couldnt beat the deal the Honda dealer threw at me) but I really miss owning a truck and since I cant afford the gas for a full size Ill be moving down next time Im up for a new car and the Nissan Frontier is high up on the list - actually its either the Toyota Tacoma or the Nissan Frontier.

I dig the new Maxima too. Those are great cars and Ive always like the way they and the Altima look.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    IMO, the new Maxima is slotted appropriately between the Altima and G35. If they made the Maxima look like a G35, then I'd think it would take away sales from the G35...just my opinion though
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2008
    TLW drove an Infinity J30 for about 7 years mercilessly and it was a GREAT car.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2008
    IMO, the new Maxima is slotted appropriately between the Altima and G35. If they made the Maxima look like a G35, then I'd think it would take away sales from the G35...just my opinion though

You mean by price? Altima is quite a bit larger car than the G35, and Maxima should be even larger. Or did the designs change that much?

We have 2 Nissan's in the family, and I'm thinking of adding another and get rid of the BMW.
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    Oh I meant by price.

Altima < Maxima < G35

Just based on appearances, it seems like the Altima and Maxima are of similar size. But I may be wrong...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,474
    edited March 2008
    I've driven Nissan/Infiniti products since 1993, starting with a '94 Maxima, then '98 Maxima, '01 Pathfinder, and current '03 Infiniti FX45. I like the looks and specs of this new Maxima a lot, but I'm not in the market for a new car. I may consider the new FX50 (also out this June) in a couple of years, but don't like anything else Infiniti has out right now enough to consider trading in the FX.

I've never had a mechanical problem with a Nissan product. But, they do have some problems. For example, my FX45 has had to have a new fuel line for the gas tank (dropped the rear suspension to get at it to replace it), a new rear hatch spoiler because the first year model didn't have the right kind of adhesive, new front and rear lights because of new Canadian safety specs, and the front brake bolts re-torqued to proper spec. All of these were recalls done under warranty and had no effect on the drivability of the car. The Infiniti V8 engine likes to use up a couple quarts of oil every three thousand miles, but that's just how the engine is designed.

For the new Maxima, the snub nosed appearance of the bumpers and grill is becoming more common for all car companies to meet specifications elsewhere for pedestrian safety. The FX50 will be the same way. The Maxima has an all new chassis, but looks to be about the same size as the Infiniti M sedan, probably the same size as the new Accord. My guess is the Maxima will be built in the U.S. alongside the Altima. Infiniti and Nissan chassis have very little in common these days, with Infiniti focused on RWD and Nissan products on FWS (except 350Z).

Out of everything Nissan or Infiniti will have available this summer, the new Maxima would probably be my first choice. The new CVT transmission would make me want to take an extensive test drive in it first though.
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    I'm interested in why Nissan would make a "4 door sports car" with a CVT? I was always under the impression that CVT's were used for better fuel economy, whereas manual transmissions were used in sports cars for performance. I may be wrong though, I'm just hoping that it provides a balance of both fuel economy and performance.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Lowell_M
    edited March 2008
    I'm interested in why Nissan would make a "4 door sports car" with a CVT? I was always under the impression that CVT's were used for better fuel economy, whereas manual transmissions were used in sports cars for performance. I may be wrong though, I'm just hoping that it provides a balance of both fuel economy and performance.

I would never trade the solid 6MT in my G35 for a CVT transmission for track use. (road course, not drag racing) I have driven the previous gen Maxima with the CVT and must say it is pretty sweet on the street. I responds smoother and quicker than most automatics. The constant torque rush that you get because it never shifts is pretty cool too.

Hopefully, Nissan is working on a dual clutch (DSG) gearbox for future versions. That is the only auto/manual that would convince me to replace my 6 speed manual at this point.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2008
    Since I'm a poor college student I only get to drool over the new Nissan Altima Coupe. I don't think I'd be able to afford a g35 even though i'd LOVE one.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited March 2008
    4dsc has been around for a while, and the intent was never to have it literally be a 'sports car'.........

If you've ever spent time in a Maxima and laid the pedal down, you know that it's not too long until you go sideways if you aren't gripping that steering wheel......CVT is a necessity when you're trying to put close to 300hp in a front wheel drive car.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.