Blu Ray revitalize SACD?

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Do you think the acceptance of Blu Ray may help SACD's cause? Just curious of any possible impact that may help revitalize SACD...:confused:
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2008
    Do all blue ray players play SACD? if they do then it will help. if they dont, then probably not so much.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2008
    I don't know. I know my Panasonic BR does not play SACD or DVDA. Anyone know if the Sony BR's play SACD?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    no won't help. two different mediums. SACD has been around for a number of years now.. and it's not making anymore gains. people have moved on and are looking more closely at video instead of audio or are moving back to vinyl now.

:)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2008
    Do you think the acceptance of Blu Ray may help SACD's cause?

What acceptance? HD DVD and Blu Ray combined are less than 1% of the video disc market. Blu Ray may have beat HD DVD, but it remains to be seen whether or not it survives.
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2008
    You got wrapped around the axle and didn't answer the question...will Blu Rays success (however you want to quantify it) help SACD's promotion?
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited February 2008
    I think you are trying to fit a wheel and an axle that wont fit together.

When people go from a standard-def tv to a hi-def tv and get a hi-def player they can SEE the difference!

You read all the post of the "Cables Don't Matter" crowd. They don't want to spend the money on something they can't SEE.

I think it is sad.

Steve
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2008
    i think blu-ray 'may' raise awareness, but to a negligable extent. my ps3 does sacd, but i have had no desire to find any sacd's.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2008
    No chance.
    Nobody except audiophiles knows what it is, and even they/us are not committed to the format in any #'s that matter. I have players that play SACD, but have no desire to buy any either. SACD was not marketed the right way imho. J6P also listens to more music in their car than at home. While few have dedicated systems, the space needed for such, or the ability to play at desired volumes at home, the car in most cases solves all of these problems.
    SACD is irrelevant in the car, or other mobile uses where MP3's have dominated.

In essence, there is no bang for the buck for SACD for most people. If they gave players away for free, who would re-buy those cd's already in their collection, that would need to also then buy the other necessary equipment of caliber high enough to take advantage of the SACD improvement?
    Venom
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2008
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Will Blu Rays success (however you want to quantify it) help SACD's promotion?

I don't think it will make SACD mainstream. However, I think Blu-ray players will include SACD playback as a premium/bonus feature for those who wants a true universal player.

Denon is already promising its second generation Blu-ray player will include SACD. With the news of Oppo working on a Blu-ray player, it's possible that SACD will get a second lease on its life....which has already outlived DVD-A, HD-DVD, DualDisc, etc.
  • fumoffu
    fumoffu Posts: 80
    edited February 2008
    Besides Sony what blu-ray players support SACD?

Even the $2000 denon does not appear to have support!
    Home Theatre: Epson 5020ub, Elite Screen Sable Frame 100", Onkyo 818, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Series 3, Xbox 360, Sealed Dual Sound Splinter RL-p 15" DIY sub powered by Behringer EP2500 with FBD, QSC RMX1400 powering LSi15, LSiC, LSiFX sides, and Lsi7 for the back, Technics SL-1200M3D
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2008
    My thinking was that with Blu Ray winning the HD video format war, Sony may make a second attempt at promoting SACD again--I was just curious what your thoughts might be.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    Does SACD offer higher quality than what could be put on Blu-Ray? If not, wouldn't Blu-Ray replace rather than help SACD?
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2008
    I heard they will also give a second shot at Betamax.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2008
    ROTFLMAO!!!!:D

To answer the question, no it won't help revitalize SACD.

In order for either SACD or DVD-A to have a chance of acceptance it should have been supported by main stream artists who should have been willing to have their catalogs tranferred to either format. And I'm not talking classical!

But since this didn't happen & promotion was minimal at best the formats have more or less died. Tacking it onto a Blu ray player will not get the public interested if it hasn't been interested so far.
    You got wrapped around the axle and didn't answer the question...will Blu Rays success (however you want to quantify it) help SACD's promotion?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited February 2008
    For those of you that haven't tried SACD, you have NO idea of what you're missing. Is it night and day? You bet your a$$ it is!

Will Blu-Ray help SACD? One can only hope so, it's worth saving.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    For those of you that haven't tried SACD, you have NO idea of what you're missing. Is it night and day? You bet your a$$ it is!

Will Blu-Ray help SACD? One can only hope so, it's worth saving.

that's what i've been wondering. if i ever come across an sacd in my travels, i'll give her a try.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    Unfortunately, I've ony been able to find 1 out of 4 SACD's that I own even worth having. DSOTM. I blame the RIAA for not supporting it. They focused on stopping downloads, instead of pushing, IMO, a legitimate advancement in audio technology.
    Even if DVD-A had won the battle, I WOULD have bought another player,-PROVIDED the format got ENOUGH support to give us a decent library to choose from.
    Alas, the lawyers just didn't get it.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2008

I guess you missed my point. Blu Ray has to become successful itself, before it could help SACD, even if SACD playback was included on all players. Until then, it's rather pointless to speculate.

SACD has quite a few titles, I believe even in it's current state, it will outlive Blu Ray.
  • MGPK
    MGPK Posts: 88
    edited February 2008
    If Sony wanted to bring new life back to SACD, they should allow the codec to output via HDMI. It would benefit the consumers and Sony.
    System:

H/K AVR430 Receiver
    Samsung DVDHD841 Dvd player
    Yamaha CDC506 5 Disc changer
    Jamo E855 Tower speakers
    Wharfdale Pacific P-10 Bookshelf speakers
    Acoustic Research Master Series Interconnects
  • fumoffu
    edited February 2008
    MGPK wrote: »
    If Sony wanted to bring new life back to SACD, they should allow the codec to output via HDMI. It would benefit the consumers and Sony.

They do. For example I know an Oppo DV-981HD and the new *05 Onkyo could do it!
    Home Theatre: Epson 5020ub, Elite Screen Sable Frame 100", Onkyo 818, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Series 3, Xbox 360, Sealed Dual Sound Splinter RL-p 15" DIY sub powered by Behringer EP2500 with FBD, QSC RMX1400 powering LSi15, LSiC, LSiFX sides, and Lsi7 for the back, Technics SL-1200M3D
  • Danny Tse
    edited February 2008
    fumoffu wrote: »
    They do. For example I know an Oppo DV-981HD and the new *05 Onkyo could do it!

You forgot the $170.00 Oppo 970, which output the native DSD data via its HDMI output.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited February 2008
    MGPK wrote: »

They already do so, the Ps3 does it only over HDMI.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I've ony been able to find 1 out of 4 SACD's that I own even worth having. DSOTM. I blame the RIAA for not supporting it. They focused on stopping downloads, instead of pushing, IMO, a legitimate advancement in audio technology.
    Even if DVD-A had won the battle, I WOULD have bought another player,-PROVIDED the format got ENOUGH support to give us a decent library to choose from.
    Alas, the lawyers just didn't get it.

You need to come down to Charleston and I think I might be able to shed some light on what SACD is capable of.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited February 2008
    Well after three ps3 models that support it (20, 60, 80GB), Sony dropped it on their latest 40GB model. So it doesn't seem to be a primary concern for them. I would think, as someone else said, that the potential for multi-channel high resolution music only disks is higher if they just used blu-ray. Then they don't have to worry about all the players that don't include it.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited February 2008
    SACD may be replaced by Blu-Ray audio.

http://www.stereophile.com/news/021807blu/

"All this may have profound implications for the future of high-resolution audio. Despite Sony's virtual abandonment of SACD, multichannel SACDs continue to be issued by Telarc, Channel Classics, Pentatone, Chandos, BIS, LSO, CSO Resound, SFS Media, Hyperion, Harmonia Mundi and other companies that specialize in classical and jazz. (Some but not all of these releases are DSD-native. Others, like the Linn SACDs, are transcoded from high-resolution LPCM.) The big question is whether these companies will remain loyal to SACD, or explore Blu-ray as an alternative high-resolution audio format.

Naxos, which bills itself as world's largest classical music distributor, has already made its decision. In the December 2007 issue of Stereophile, Klaus Heymann of Naxos revealed that the company, which has ceased releasing multichannel recordings in both SACD and DVD-A formats, has been awaiting the triumph of either Blu-ray or HD DVD before again releasing multichannel recordings. On February 18, Heymann announced that it will begin releasing multi-channel recordings on Blu-ray later this year. If other record companies follow Naxos' lead, expect a host of new high-end Blu-ray players designed to deliver audiophile quality sound from Blu-ray.

Certainly classical marketers of DVD have been watching developments carefully. In March, the Naxos-distributed label Opus Arte (now affiliated with the BBC) will release its first Blu-ray title in the United States. Already available in Europe, the award-winning Pacific Northwest Ballet production of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, choreographed by the legendary George Balanchine, is sure to have tremendous appeal.

While Opus Arte announced on February 1 that it would continue to release in both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, it altered its tune on February 18. "We have decided today to go with Blu-ray only," Opus Arte's Managing Director, Hans Petri, explained by phone from the UK. "All the news of the weekend makes it clear to us that HD DVD is dying, if not already dead."
  • F1nut
    edited February 2008
    And just what is Blu-Ray audio? Is it PCM, DTS or what? Obviously, it's not hi-rez DSD or DVD-A, so is it really a hi-rez format or just another lame try at surround sound?

With Pink Floyd's, Wish You Were Here coming on SACD, there may be hope yet for SACD. I also noted that MoFi is starting to release SACD's again, bravo!!!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to answer my own question....LOL

It appears that it's just another lame attempt at surround sound and not a true hi-rez format.

"There's the Dolby Digital at 640 Kbit/s, the DTS standard at 1.5 Mbit/s, Dolby Digital plus at 1.7 Mbit/s, DTS-HD High Resolution at 6.0 Mbit/s and the lossless audio compression format which utilizes Linear PCM Dolby TrueHD and/or DTS-HD Master Audio. Blu Ray's mandatory video codecs include the MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) support."

President of Club Polk

• Danny Tse
    edited February 2008
    I don't see Blu-ray audio replacing SACD because that would mean a completely new promotion effort to educate the masses about yet another hi-rez format. Didn't we already went thru such a process with SACD/DVD-A? Besides, on a worldwide basis, SACD is too entrenched.

Naxos?? It was never really into hi-rez. It never released that many titles on SACD anyway.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2008
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    I don't see Blu-ray audio replacing SACD because that would mean a completely new promotion effort to educate the masses about yet another hi-rez format. Didn't we already went thru such a process with SACD/DVD-A? Besides, on a worldwide basis, SACD is too entrenched.

Naxos?? It was never really into hi-rez. It never released that many titles on SACD anyway.

That's my thinking, too.

President of Club Polk

• fumoffu
    edited February 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm going to answer my own question....LOL

It appears that it's just another lame attempt at surround sound and not a true hi-rez format.

"There's the Dolby Digital at 640 Kbit/s, the DTS standard at 1.5 Mbit/s, Dolby Digital plus at 1.7 Mbit/s, DTS-HD High Resolution at 6.0 Mbit/s and the lossless audio compression format which utilizes Linear PCM Dolby TrueHD and/or DTS-HD Master Audio. Blu Ray's mandatory video codecs include the MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) support."

So 24-bit 192kHz is not true hi-rez?