Losing Job

daboyz
daboyz Posts: 5,207
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I hope this gets past the terrible new thread people;)

I had the unenviable task of telling all my employees that they won't have jobs in 4-6 weeks. The powers that be decided my store wasn't worth keeping open. Debt,economy,location,etc.

Just as bad is I get to be out looking for another job also. I've been here 12 years. I suppose I'm still on the freaked out side to say the least. Going out and interviewing and everything will be a boat load of fun,too.

If y'all can send some positive vibes this way I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Dave
Post edited by daboyz on

Comments

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited February 2008
    that sucks. My dad just went through this very thing with his employer.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    What kind of work did you do? What are you looking for?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited February 2008
    All the best, been their done that and it's not fun, but things seem to work out in the end.

CRj
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited February 2008
    Good luck Dave. Hopefully this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    Good luck in your job search!!! And, remember that the senate attempted to extend to you an additional 3 to 6 months of unemployment compensation in the economic stimulus package but couldn't get it past the house. Lastly, the FED says we are just in a slump...not a recession.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your job search. Things will likely work out for the best.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2008
    Hey Ron, how about we help him find a new job than complain that he can't leech off of the work of others for a longer period of time. It's a bit more helpful...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2008
    You already know I'm in the same boat...I've been out since 1/25. Very stressful. I did not have to tell others the bad news, however. That would suck.

Positive thoughts sent...again...:D

Don't get yourself too down. I'm sure it will work out better for both of us in the end.

Maybe we should start a business. Want to move to Seattle? :rolleyes:
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited February 2008
    Just think how lucky you are to be given 4-6 weeks - some people just show up to closed doors on Paycheck Friday, finding themselves with no job, and no money to pay the rent!
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2008
    What kind of work do you do and what kind are you looking for?
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2008
    Dave good luck. When I found out that my job was going away due to outsourcing it was actully a blessing in disguise. I got the chance to relocate to NC and I could not be happier. Hope everything works out for you.
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Hey Ron, how about we help him find a new job than complain that he can't leech off of the work of others for a longer period of time. It's a bit more helpful...

Newsflash: Collecting unemployment is definitely not LEECHING as you are involuntarily unemployed and the company has pre-paid the mandatory benefit on your behalf.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    Jesus H. Tap Dacin' Christ dude! Give it a rest already!

I'm gonna vote republican just to piss you off!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited February 2008
    Best wishes daboyz, I hope everything works out for you and your staff.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2008
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Newsflash: Collecting unemployment is definitely not LEECHING as you are involuntarily unemployed and the company has pre-paid the mandatory benefit on your behalf.

Newsflash: You know NOTHING about economics or business...

Let's see, forcing someone to put money into an account so someone else who isn't working can get it isn't leeching in your world, nice....

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the OP has NO desire to see a single cent of unemployement and would prefer to be a productive and valuable member of society rather than a victim.
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2008
    An employer paying unemployment insurance is just the cost of doing business. Think of it as the employee has earned the insurance for himself by working for it through the year. Its not welfare. It is insurance.

I suppose you prefer to pay for your medical claims directly instead of relying upon the safety net your medical insurance provides?
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2008
    I'm the GM of a furniture store. Some of you east of the Mississippi would probably know of Value City Furniture. You know, I've been in retail so long that it may not be bad to get out of that now.too.
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited February 2008
    You're going to find a much better job anyway so congratulations! I have a strong intuition that tells me this will work out for the best. I'm not psychic or anything, but my intuition is good. Keep your chin up!
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    Value City just closed a few stores around here too. They must be hurtin'.

Got any skills? The management aspect of your job carries a ton of weight. I think you'll do fine finding another job.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2008
    rskarvan wrote: »
    An employer paying unemployment insurance is just the cost of doing business. Think of it as the employee has earned the insurance for himself by working for it through the year. Its not welfare. It is insurance.

I suppose you prefer to pay for your medical claims directly instead of relying upon the safety net your medical insurance provides?

Listen, the guy is talking about losing his job. If you want to talk about this, start a new thread, don't hijack his. If you have a job opportunity or something like that to offer then say it, otherwise just shut it and move on.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    sorry that your store is closing it's doors. I hope something works out for you... you know.. your stores competitors would probably like to have you as an employee. check out other retail stores in your area.. and ask friends or friends of friends if anyone is looking for a GM.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2008
    Daboyz: Are you willing to move? The local economy here is growing, quite a few adverts for similar folks to your description.

Ron: Again, if you don't know WTH you're talking about, please STFU and quit bothering everyone else with your insanity and ignorance.
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2008
    jdhdiggs.... please don't call unemployment insurance LEECHING.

DaBoyz... furniture stores in Indy are closing left and right. So, don't feel like you are the only one. Seriously... best wishes on your job search. Try to apply for 3 or 4 jobs (mininum) every day. Keep your spirits up and remember... searching for a job is a job. So, you are self-employed for now. And, don't be shy about collecting UC.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    Don't sweat it, you'll be ok. I was scared of interviewing after 11 years but after updating my resume and going over some questions in my head....it was not too bad.

Stay positive.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2008
    Come to North Carolina. The home of funiture stores. I can drive down one road in Raleigh and pass 15 funiture stores in 2 minutes. And the climate is great as well.
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Don't sweat it, you'll be ok. I was scared of interviewing after 11 years but after updating my resume and going over some questions in my head....it was not too bad.

Stay positive.

That's true. Plus prepare for those interview questions. Look at
    http://www.jobinterviewquestions.org/questions/interview-questions.asp
    http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/interviewquest.htm
    . Most interviewers usually asked the same questions in my experience. Good Luck!
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2008
    Daboyz:

Sorry about the derail some people just can't read. Anyway, if you want me to send you some local job info, let me know.

Ron: Start a new thread an I'll explain how and why you are wrong again, but enough of a derail here.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2008
    Dave, best of luck - and man, don't stress too much over it - things have a way of working themselves out. The Real Estate market has been murder, I've taken a 2nd job, 2nd shift at Wal-Mart unloading trucks to try to make up for the loss of cashflow. Definately not a career move, but some money is better than no money until things turn around (as they always seem to do).

You do what you have to do brother.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    Good Luck Bro. Just remember that you are now in competition with those you have to inform. Get the jump on them......JK

Good Luck

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2008
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    Come to North Carolina. The home of funiture stores. I can drive down one road in Raleigh and pass 15 funiture stores in 2 minutes. And the climate is great as well.

Dude, have you been here in August yet???

Anyhow, he's got a point on the furniture & the economy here is doing great... One of the few places in the US that the housing market is still (slightly) up.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited February 2008
    Best of luck. Have positive attitude during interviews. NEVER, talk bad about previous employers, way bad Karma.

Good Luck,
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.