Hundai overall........and specifically upcoming Genesis

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
So I was floored to see the full sized beast of a car (Genesis) that Hundai was pitching during the super bowl and to be honest I haven't ever been in a Hundai as of late. They sell the hell out of those Sonata's which can give you a V6 with apparently a pretty good feature package for about $23k......

I'm kind of interested in seeing what this car is like in person, because they're pegging Lexus and Mercedes as their targets and this is suspected to be coming in at around $40k.......

Anyone been in a Hundai lately? Quality of interior?

And yes, I know "it'll still be a Hundai" but they've been one of the best selling car manufacturers over the past several years..........
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    It's Hyundai, and yes, it's still an Hyundai.

Anyone who spends $40k on a Hyundai has rocks in their head. Would you spend $40,000 on a Honda Accord? No, but you would spend it on an Acura TL. Would you spend $40,000 on a Nissan Maxima? No, but you would spend it on an Infiniti G35.

IMHO, Hyundai is dropping the ball big time on this car if they bring it to the states with a $40k price tag. It will fail just as the VW Phaeton has done. Sure they sold some, but nothing compared to what was projected.

If Hyundai wanted success with this car it should have come under a new, luxury brand with a different name. Same company, different name.

My projection....it will never live up to expectations.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2008
    Hey, what's wrong with Nissan Maxima's?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    Hey, what's wrong with Nissan Maxima's?

Nothing, try reading my post all the way through instead of just "Would you spend 40k a Nissan Maxima...No".
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Nothing, try reading my post all the way through instead of just "Would you spend 40k a Nissan Maxima...No".

No, I read it all the way through the first time. But there are people who buy Maxima's that are $40k (fully loaded). I just don't know why.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    No, I read it all the way through the first time. But there are people who buy Maxima's that are $40k (fully loaded). I just don't know why.

The point is the average consumer(Hyundai's target market) will NOT buy a $40,000 Hyundai. You can't sell a $10,000 car and a $40,000 car in this country.....it doesn't work like that.
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    The point is the average consumer(Hyundai's target market) will NOT buy a $40,000 Hyundai. You can't sell a $10,000 car and a $40,000 car in this country.....it doesn't work like that.

Yeah, I get it. But who knows, it may be a success. Just like how a Jeep can be anywhere from a $16,000 car or a $45,000 car.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Jeep is a whole nother breed of consumers.....Jeep owners are hardcore, die-hard people....expect for audiobliss.
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I see. How about Chevy? They go from the Aveo all the way to the Corvette. But they are still doing well. Maybe because like your above example, Corvette owners are also die-hard people?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Of course...Nissan has their Skyline, people buy it.

Those are specific cars for specific consumers. Point I was trying to make is Hyundai is marketing a car for their general target market that just doesn't fit the target market. Don't try and tell me the Genesis is maybe for die-hard hyundai people....find me a die-hard hyundai person.....
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Haha, you're right.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited February 2008
    Why worry. It will either sell or it won't.
    Unless you got stock in the company, it doesn't matter.
    Back to belly button lint...................................
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    I don't think it will be very successful either, but I don't think it can't be done. Hyundai just isn't in a good market position to do it in the US. From wikipedia below, I don't know if its accurate. But even if its $40k as you stated, the features it brings to the table compare against cars that are much higher in price.
    The price of 3.8 liter V6 Genesis will start from slightly lower than US$30,000 in the U.S. The 3.8 liter V6 model will produce up to 306hp. The 4.6 liter V8 model, whose price will start from US$35,000, will produce an estimated 375hp on regular fuel with 87 octane rating.[4]

The Genesis is packed with premium features including a standard 6-speed AT from ZF Friedrichshafen, unlike the Aisin transmission found in the Veracruz. The Korean model is available with a 3.3L V6 producing 266 horsepower (198 kW), and a 3.8L V6 producing 306 horsepower (228 kW). The North American models will receive the 3.8L and a 4.6L Tau V8 that produces an estimated 375 horsepower (280 kW). The Tau V8 engine produces more power and torque than the engines found in Lexus GS450, BMW 750i, Audi A8 and Infiniti M45. Features include Smart Cruise Control (SCC), Adaptive Headlamps, Driver Information System, and a Harman/Becker 17 speaker Lexicon Audio System. Other features include push-button start and electronic stability control.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Now we just need to wait for the resident Club Polk Idiot to chime in with his brilliant thoughts on Korea and its culture. :rolleyes:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    $40k was my estimate....I don't believe there are actually numbers released yet. Even $30k for a Hyundai is pushing it.....in my opinion anyway.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    I'm not that familiar with Hyundai's recent and long term (how long have they been in the US) track record. If a manufacturer I trust puts together a car with features that I think are worth $30k, I wouldn't be afraid to buy it just based on the shape of their logo.

It also depends on the buyer's plans. Alot of people in the US feel the need to buy a new car every 3-5 years. If I was like that, than yeah, brand name counts solely because of resale value. The Sonanta's from everything I've read give Accord's and Camy's a run for their money in everything but resale value.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    Anyone who spends $40k on a Hyundai has rocks in their head.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, amen broth'a
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2008
    We got our Hyundai - an Elantra GT Hatchback - in '04. (Loaded) with way more than what any other manufacturer was offering at the time. It is deceptively large on the inside. The only thing I don't like about it are the seats. Very hard and uncomfortable. My brother also own an Elantra. We have the leather and he has the cloth - no difference - both are uncomfortable. Both of us plan to drive them 'til the wheels fall off. I've been in a Sonata and the seats are much more comfortable. Other than the hard seats in the '04 Elantra's, no complaints here.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited February 2008
    I know that early on, Hyundai did not have a good track record at all, but as far as I know they really turned around the quality. I've heard absolutely nothing but rave reviews for the Sonata at its price point.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    I've never owned a Hyundai but I'd buy one before I'd ever buy another BMW product.
    If...
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    halo wrote: »
    Both of us plan to drive them 'til the wheels fall off.

So you have another couple of weeks then? ;)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2008
    polksda wrote: »
    I know that early on, Hyundai did not have a good track record at all, but as far as I know they really turned around the quality. I've heard absolutely nothing but rave reviews for the Sonata at its price point.

The Sonata is on my short list of cars to look at in my request to replace my 2001 Toyota Camry. Tried the 2008 Honda Accord and suffered sticker shock....and the car wasn't even that good. My only concern about Hyundai is the resale value....I read that a Sonota will depreciate $2K more than a similarly-priced Honda Accord in 5 years. Since I generally keep my cars for at least 6 to 7 years, which is great with Hyundai's 10 year/100K warranty, but that's a $2K extra out of my pocket when it's time to sell the car.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2008
    Which using that math Danny, you'd have up front because comparatively priced to the Honda, the Hundai will be a lot less than the Honda's pricetag..........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2008
    brettw22 wrote: »
    Which using that math Danny, you'd have up front because comparatively priced to the Honda, the Hundai will be a lot less than the Honda's pricetag..........

What I meant was that if I purchased, for example, a $20K Hyundai Sonata and a $20K Honda Accord, the resale value of the Sonata would be $2K less than the Accord after 5 years.
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited February 2008
    Way better than they used to be. I went on a road trip with a friend who had one of those early models and good lord.

Once you hit 70MPH, the tops of the door frames would start bending out from the body due to wind pressure, and these gaps would open up and let in a wind roar . Talk about feeling unsafe!
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited February 2008
    I just cannot see spending 40K on a Hyndai...

Why not buy Subaru?? Nobody really thinks of them at all!!
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    Why not buy Subaru??

And after this year (or next, not sure) no one well ever see them, their pulling out of the USofA alltogether. They only sold some 8,000 cars last year so their done here.
    If...
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    And after this year (or next, not sure) no one well ever see them, their pulling out of the USofA alltogether. They only sold some 8,000 cars last year so their done here.

Are you serious? I thought Subaru was doing quite well lately. I love my WRX, someday when it gets too old I was planning on buying a Legacy.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2008
    Subaru's are great cars; too bad they still look like in the early 90's.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    I guess you were kidding?
    Although Subaru recently posted record sales, the overall auto market is lackluster. U.S. new-vehicle sales were probably 1.2 million in November, virtually unchanged from a year earlier and down 2.5 percent from October, according to Edmunds.com.
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited February 2008
    The new ones are sick!! Man, I was gonna get a Sub when I started driving...

What is this??
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.