Hundai overall........and specifically upcoming Genesis

2»

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    Are you serious?
    Yep. A coworker told me and he heard it on the news, others have told me as well since their announcement several months ago.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    Ehh... I'll believe it when I see it. I've never seen or heard nothing even close to that. Gotta link? I'd be interested to read.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    No link, it's just (IMO) rumor, I've not heard or read anything on the news about it. But my coworker did, can't see why he'd lie about something like that.
    If...
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Its just that everything I've seen is contrary to that. There are plenty of somewhat recent articles discussing Subaru's plans to expand in North America.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    Maybe he didn't hear or read the article correctly, I don't know, but he did give specifics about what he'd heard.
    If...
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    This article from Autoweek is almost a year old, but paints a very different picture.

article
    Subaru plans to raise its total U.S. dealership count to 625 by the end of 2010 from 601 at the end of 2006. It also aims to convert more stores to exclusives. The number of exclusive Subaru stores is expected to jump to 290 by 2010's end, up from 272 at the end of 2006. Stores with separate Subaru showrooms will total 170, up from 164.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    Well, that's good. My coworker must have been on crack, I'll have to let him know.

Sorry for the bogus info.
    If...
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    I was just shocked to hear it. I've been very impressed with my Subaru. Over 90k on it and it runs like a champ, no issues at all. My next car will most likely be another Subaru and was shocked to hear it might not be possible was all.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    I love my Subaru. Don't like the looks of the new ones (and really didn't buy mine for looks either, it's not exactly great-looking or "manly"), but for performance and reliability and practicality they're great.

And best of all most of them are made in the US.

As for Hyundai... they were so bad for so long that now that they're not "quite as bad" people think they're fantastic. I still wouldn't trust them with my life or the lives of my family.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2008
    I spent $1500 on a GPX cd player...

Just kidding... I dont want to offend any GPX, Emerson or Audiovox fans..
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I just mailed in my last two payments for my 23K Hyundai I started paying for in Sept of 2003.

My previous two cars were Hyundai's and then before that I had (3) Toyotas

I might be a die-hyundai owner, My Fiancee wants to go look for another car and we might get another Hyundai.

I really would like to get a Hybrid or a plug-in Hybrid.

Maybe I need a 40K Lancer ;)

I don't drive a lancer anymore and mine was only 16k :)
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    Ok, so, I spoke with my coworker today, they guy who heard on the news, about Subaru pulling out. He was mistaken, it's Isuzu and he read it in the Wall Street Journal.

Here's one article I found on it.
    http://www.newser.com/story/17846.html?rss=y
    Isuzu Says Sayonara to America
    Posted Jan 31, 08 1:14 PM CST in Business

Source: KRT Photos (newser) – Japanese automaker Isuzu, which brought the US such treasures as the SUV and fictional car salesman Joe Isuzu, is closing up shop in the US, thanks to its nearly non-existent sales. Of the 16.1 million cars sold last year, just 7,098 were Isuzus. Said actor David Leisure, who portrayed the famous huckster: "I thought they already had stopped selling here." • “It’s a shame,” one automotive researcher tells the Los Angeles Times. “From a historical perspective, they were quite significant.” Though the company will continue to sell commercial trucks stateside, the move shocked many within Isuzu’s US headquarters. "I'm still digesting all the information," a spokesman said. Added a dealer, "We hold out hope that a surprise new product will come."
    If...
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2008
    Isuzu! Well they both have two 'u' sounds :)

Good riddance.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    Jeep is a whole nother breed of consumers.....Jeep owners are hardcore, die-hard people....expect for audiobliss.

Thank you. (Jeep owner since 98).
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2008
    We leased a Jeep a few years ago. It was a Cherokee Sport fully loaded. It was a nice ride but needed brakes every 10 months. The dealer told us it was because of the heat in FL. Funny that the heat only effected their brand. The A/C also went out and would have been $1200 if not under warranty. We turned it in with less than 30K miles.

We then bought 2 Hondas. One is 6 years years old, the other 3. No brakes changed yet, A/C still runs strong every day.

As for Jeep, Chrysler is talking with an Indian company right now to acquire it. Chrun and Burn.
    Venom
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Isuzu... Subaru, easy mistake. Makes sense now.

I use to love those old Isuzu commercials with that game show host looking guy.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2008
    I don't think many of you understand the aim of this car. It's not to compete with Accords, Camrys, etc.... This car is a large, rear drive platform. They are aiming more at the large luxury sedans, such as Lexus LS, MB S-Class, BMW 7 Series. All with a car that starts around 30k not 40k.

Last week at the Chicago Auto Show I was able to spend quite a bit of time looking it over. I can honestly say that it is amazingly good. The styling was very eye catching. The interior materials were far better than expected, and fit and finish was on par with any Lexus I've seen. If you had been there to see and hear the number of people looking at this car, and to hear the praise, I don't think you would be questioning it's ability to sell. Heap on top of that a 10yr/100k warranty and it becomes very hard to ignore in that market segment. Besides.....If all the other brands are so much better why the hell can't they offer that kind of warranty?

Keep in mind these comments are coming from a huge BMW fan.

img0178dxosmrj0.th.jpg img0177dxosmuq9.th.jpg img0176dxosmzk6.th.jpg img0175dxosmjo3.th.jpg img0174dxosmne3.th.jpg
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Because a large portion of the people that buy those cars its competing with are more concerned with the label than the goods. It might be a hell of a bargain for what it delivers. But the crowd they are trying to sell to doesn't want to show off their *bargain* car. They was to show off how much they spent!

I'm not saying it won't be a success, I just think they would have done better to segment their market with a new brand name. People buy Lexus/Acura/Infiniti even though its still made by Toyota/Honda/Nissan but the name makes a huge difference to people for some reason.

In fact I read on Wiki that in other countries this car won't have any Hyundai badging anywhere on the car. Seems like they are aware of the problem associated with names in the luxury market.
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2008
    10yr / 100k drivetrain warranty. How many people have drivetrain problems that would be covered in the first 100k miles? Even on a crappy car like a Hyundai, it's usually all the other stuff that breaks.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2008
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Because a large portion of the people that buy those cars its competing with are more concerned with the label than the goods. It might be a hell of a bargain for what it delivers. But the crowd they are trying to sell to doesn't want to show off their *bargain* car. They was to show off how much they spent!

I'm not saying it won't be a success, I just think they would have done better to segment their market with a new brand name. People buy Lexus/Acura/Infiniti even though its still made by Toyota/Honda/Nissan but the name makes a huge difference to people for some reason.

In fact I read on Wiki that in other countries this car won't have any Hyundai badging anywhere on the car. Seems like they are aware of the problem associated with names in the luxury market.

I don't disagree with that. I think it would have been wiser to badge it differently.

Also don't get me wrong. There is no denying that the competition still hold advantages in certain areas. For example: The cabin was not as spacious as a Lexus LS, or Mercedes S. And there is no way that it will be as good a drive as a BMW 7. However....For the average driver who just want themselves and their passengers comfortable, plenty of convenience features, ample power, good looks and reliability, there is no way that the competitors are worth close to twice the price.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    And I think they'll be capturing the market who might want those features but aren't concerned with impressing the neighbors. Its just that I bet alot of people who do drive BMW/Lexus/etc. may not claim to care, but deep down they do and would never buy a Hyundai.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    10yr / 100k drivetrain warranty. How many people have drivetrain problems that would be covered in the first 100k miles? Even on a crappy car like a Hyundai, it's usually all the other stuff that breaks.

A lot of cars have tranny problems before 100k. My crappy Mazda 626 tranny died at 72k, would have loved this warranty back then. Our Tahoes tranny dumped at 30k.

I would not call Hyundais crappy, the most reliable car of 2004 was the Sonata. Hyundai have come a long way and Toyota even admits being afraid of them. And Toyota can buy the big 3 for cash tomorrow if they chose to.
    Venom
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Isuzu... Subaru, easy mistake. Makes sense now.

I use to love those old Isuzu commercials with that game show host looking guy.

Heh. Joe Isuzu rules! "Would I lie to you?"

Subaru though, those cars are indestructible. Even the older ones were hard to kill. Sure they'd be falling apart and dropping pieces as you drove down the road but the damn thing would start every morning without fail. My friend had a 1600GL for the longest time and that thing went everywhere. I have 3 friends with WRX's and one with an STi and none of them are having any problems whatsoever. I know a few people with Impreza/Outback wagons and Legacys too and they have no complaints either. Subaru makes excellent cars.

As far as Hyundai goes, how does the old saying go? You can polish a ****...

Yeah, my wife had an Accent (glorified Excel) and it ate 5 transmissions and was getting ready to chew through it's 6th in 5 years when I made her get rid of it. Put her in a Taurus for the past 6 years and that car was stone cold reliable. The most reliable car I have ever owned. All it ever needed was basic maintenance except for one switch in the transmission.

My sister had an Excel 4 door at one point and that was such a pig on roller skates it was scary. It couldn't get out of it's own way and I replaced every freaking gasket except the head gasket and it still leaked oil. It only had 55,000 miles on it when she got it and it already needed the valve guides replaced. THAT is unsat. The car probably leaked two quarts of oil on the street (stopped parking it in the driveway because of it) and burned another quart and a half between oil changes. That was quite amazing since it only held like 4.2 quarts of oil. How the hell do you measure .2 quarts of oil? I mean seriously, who does that?

My friend's mother had a Sonata and I don't know how it got "most reliable" honors because it ended up actually breaking the transaxle case. She drove the car maybe 20 miles a day to and from work. How does that happen?

A friend at work had a Sonata also and he brought up the point that his car had the 10 year/100K mile warranty and he wondered what good it was if the car spent 8 of those 10 years sitting in the dealer's garage getting repaired? I saw him in a loaner or a rental more often than his car. He put up with 3 years of that and traded that pile of crap in on a Subaru Legacy GT and he couldn't be happier.

Had a friend in college with a Hyundai Tiburon. We started taking bets on what his next catastrophic failure was going to be.

Went out with a girl back in the mid 90's who drove a Hyundai sCoupe (remember those?). We both work at the same place and we were walking out to our respective vehicles after work and another co-worker asked her what was under her car. The transmission mounted rotted out and failed in the parking lot. It was the back of her transmission on the ground. Just as well, that was "The James Bond Car" because it had a perpetual trail of smoke screens and oil slicks behind it. She ditched that pile of crap and hated her grandmother over it because her grandma GAVE it to her. I told her she got robbed. She bought a Toyota Celica with the Twin-Cam SR5 package. It was used but boy was that a fun car to drive!

Yeah, I won't buy another Hyundai as long as I can help it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    I'll give Hyundai some credit... they definitely take the cake for "The brand that has improved the most". I know someone who had a 1994 Elantra and it was right on par with a YUGO (regarding quality). Now, they are kissing cousins to Honda and Toyota.
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited February 2008
    also had a hyundai Sonata for few months back in the 90's....I do second that Hyundai takes cake for "The brand that has improved the most" honestly, i would still not buy but who knows 5 years from now...
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83