$6 million home theatre

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2008
    I ain't impressed. Too many damn speakers and amps if you ask me. That can't be good. I wonder how he manages the room's acoustics. That's gotta be an impossible task.

I'll bet the system would sound just as good, if not better, if he used 1/4th the amount of equipment.

And $6 million? I don't believe it. Maybe somewhere in the range of a paltry $1 - $2 million is all he's got into it.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    Acoustic Treatment:

2400 Sq Feet - Auralex 4" Acoustic Wedge Foam (applied to all exposed surfaces on the ceiling, walls, and doors) - in Deep Purple, to eliminate screen splash-back and subsequent black level washout and loss of true contrast ratio.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    crazy
    The Acoustic Space:

2250 Sq/Ft. Custom Designed, Two-Story Concert Hall with Vaulted Ceiling & Balcony - 1" Solid Maple Flooring on 4" tall Pine studs - 12" spacing, sitting on a solid 16" reinforced concrete foundation, itself isolated on 4 - 156' solid steel girders all the way down to bedrock. Features non-parallel walls, ceiling, and floor, with dedicated installed noise isolation system, and acoustic treatments designed to supersede ANSI, SMPTE, AMPAS and AES/EBU noise specifications for professional movie theaters, mixing stages, and anechoic test chambers.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2008
    The system is also featured in today's "Audiophiliac" blog over at cnet.com
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    Early B. wrote: »
    And $6 million? I don't believe it. Maybe somewhere in the range of a paltry $1 - $2 million is all he's got into it.
    He has about $200,000 worth of amps alone, so who knows.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    There's alot of top notch beautiful equipment in there and I'm sure it sounds awesome, but for $6 Million, I want more than one effing couch in my home theater.
    No excuses!
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    just the structure itself probably cost a fortune. 156' girders down to bedrock!!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    I'd bet most HC polkies dedicated HT's would sound better to most people. Hell, I know for $50K I could design and build one that most people would find more "movie like" than that. The smearing and banding has to be atrocious.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2008
    sweet, we have the same HD-DVD player, HD-XA1!!!

The room has some cool stuff in it, but man, it looks cluttered, cold, and unfriendly. I'm sure the tube warmth keeps it toasty, but not the kind of looks I'd go for in a home theater.

Great screen, though!

Also, I'm guessing $6M is retail value of everything he has added together. He probably had most of it donated to him or given to him at cost. That would be like me saying my gear was worth $10K, even though I've probably spent way less that half of that.

Hot wife, though! :eek:
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2008
    To be honest, I think many of the members' systems here are a lot more impressive.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    For $6 million (excuse my French) that is one ****'n ugly look'n theater.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2008
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    sweet, we have the same HD-DVD player, HD-XA1!!!

And you know he has a HK635 hidden in there somewhere....:p

The first thing I would do is post here in the forum and say "SUCK THIS 2 CHANNEL GUYS!!!:p:p:p"
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited February 2008
    Can't say anything about the sound, since I haven't heard it. (Although that didn't keep a lot of people from making comments about how they guess it sounds). Would love to watch a movie there to experience it first hand though.

Guess it'd just be me and my wife, though, since there aren't enough seats for everyone. Sorry guys.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    He cheaped out on the subwoofers...dont like the room either.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Seating for 3-6 (Arizona Leather Curved Couch & Director's Chair) or up to 24 (Premium Leather Theatrical Recliners).

Wow... so much hatred! I don't think I would spend the money like that either, but I'm not going to assume it sounds bad.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Its funny, this is the first over-the-top theater I've seen where it seems like the guy spent the money on mostly equipment or the room itself and not silly decorations, and everyone seems to be upset about how the room *looks*.
  • Early B.
    edited February 2008
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    To be honest, I think many of the members' systems here are a lot more impressive.

Agreed.

It's a complete waste of Mac gear.

OK, I'm done hatin'. Time for me to crank up my $400 amp, $300 pre/pro, and pop in a movie. I'm just gonna be satisfied with what I have.:mad:
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Early B.
    edited February 2008
    WTF? No popcorn machine?

OK, but someone had to say it.

• jakelm
    edited February 2008
    Early B. wrote: »
    WTF? No popcorn machine?

OK, but someone had to say it.

If I just spent 6mill on a theater, I am NOT going to make my own popcorn. But I WILL get all the extra butter I want...
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2008
    Wow. That's the most expensive ugly home theater I have seen.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Aqs612scag
    Aqs612scag Posts: 102
    edited February 2008
    Beautiful gear.
  • jakelm
    edited February 2008
    Wow. That's the most expensive ugly home theater I have seen.

LMAO. Thats funny....

Looks arent everything ,,,,, thank God
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited February 2008
    "Hmmm Lets see, give me a few dozen speakers up front, a handfull of speakers on this side, a handfull of speakers on that side, oh yeah, and a few dozen in the back"

"Well sir, what color would you like to paint the walls?"

"Well hold on"

"HEY BABYYYYYYY!!!!!!, what color for the walls??!!!"

"What???. what?????!!, I cant hear you!!!..come see!!"

"Ahhhh well, to hell with the walls"

"Hey Baby!!!!!,,,,you want a couch????!!!!!"
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2008
    I think looking forward from the listening chair it looks pretty cool, but from above and seeing that giant circle of amps.... not such a fan. I'd prefer a less cluttered and more open look but when you're watching a movie it's dark anyways, who cares? I too am confused why none of the amps are hooked up. That'd be a LOT of cabling to try and keep organized.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2008
    I like the room, though I dont dig all the amps on the floor like that. The room should seat more people, I mean wow, just a couch, he could do better than that. Stewart screen looks very nice though. I can see the 6 mil, in all the gear, plus you have to consider hidden costs, cables, the General Electric 13,800-volt/800-amp step-down transformers, so Im sure all that adds up. I think I could do more with 50k or less than he has with 6 mil and still be happy. And the WTF no PS3 or Xbox 360?
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2008
    Erroneous. I see a PS3 third component down from the projectors.

BR player (Sony me thinks)
    XA1
    PS3
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited February 2008
    his $5 million worth of **** is nothing compare to my Onkyo
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2008
    I liked Cap'n Nemos' sub
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2008
    How does he isolate a ground loop, or know which fuse he blew? I would just spend it on hookers :)
    Venom
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2008
    I don't know. The subs look a lot like stacked Cerwin Vegas to me. I'm starting to think less and less of this guy's system the more I think (and look) at it.

Why not get 6 Wilson whatevers, put some sweet mono blocks on them, hide them strategically, pimp out the room with some recliners and nice effects, and calling it a day for about $500K? Look better, sound just as good (I think), and be a little more efficient use of all that mullah.