Question on db levels

begbie
begbie Posts: 630
edited November 2002 in Troubleshooting
Wondering what members here keep their db levels at? Mine are pretty much around the zero mark for the spl. However some passages in movies/music seem quieter in my front left speaker.
I could always turn up the db levels but i thought the general rule of thumb is not to increase the sp-level too much or it will introduce distortion ? Btw, is it normal to have different level settings for each speaker?
Polk Rt800i -Fronts
Polk cs400i -Center
Polk fx500i -side surrounds
Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
Velodyne cht12
Polk psw111
Post edited by begbie on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    OK,
    DB levels will change from room to room,system to system.This is a gain adjustment.Now in order to balance out a system,your gonna need a SPL meter.Radio shack........30 bucks for analog.

This tool will help you balance out your levels.Don't worry about different DB levels,the only time distortion could occur over another channel is if you have extreme settings.

EXAMPLE:Right rear at +12db,Right Main at -12db.Now the rear channel will distort before the main channel due to 24db gain difference.This will also happen at extreme volume levels like 0db or into the Plus area.
    Now this applies differently to different preamps.They all are not created equal.

Depending on what preamp/receiver you use.

Now here's a cool way to setup your levels without using THX rule of thumb.(unless your THX certified).Most of todays receivers/preamps have a reference point,most 0db in volume setting.Others you just gotta run the volume up to a given db level.
    So with that being said,
    run test tone(after all other setting are complete,delay,speaker size,etc)If your receiver/preamp has a reference point,set the system off of the left main level at 0db.So if it's like 80db on the meter, set the rest of the system at 80db.Sub can very alittle,+ or -db.Room/placement/dynamic range has big impact.

There's alot to be said on how and why to set up your system.this should at least get you started.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited November 2002
    Thanks Mantis,

I keep the levels in around the 0 mark. Unfortunatley, here in Canada the analog spl meter has been discontinued at Radio Shack and is very hard to find . There are the digital ones but for a $100 !
    Though i just found out the new H/K models have an spl meter/microphone in their remotes. It'll work on older H/K receivers so i'll give a buddy a call and try it out.

Mantis, what Rotel amp do you have? Thinking about the 1075 but if the 1095 is truly worth it then i'll wait and upgrade towards that. Though do you think it's overkill for most people?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    I have a 2 channel system in Rotel.The RC-971 pre amp and RB960BX dual mono amp.

The Room size will determine if you need the RMB1095.And the kind of speakers you own.Very large room like 18 x 30 or bigger and LSi........yes RMB1095.If you own RT series, the RMB1075 will power them in that same size room.
    The RMB1075 is what I'm considering for my new Theater,it's powerfulland super musical.Dynamic range seems limitless.

It's a shame the meter is so costly,if you have to get the digital one(I own both)do it.It's well worth the money.You'll use it from time to time,and everytime you upgrade.........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.