Pats vs. Giants.

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
In the interest of providing some other avenues of conversation.

Let's go. Pats/Giants.

I'm going with the Pats and they cover the spread.

I'll also go on record and say that they are NOT the most talented team ever assembled. I'd probably go with the 1985 bears.

I DO think that they are the best professional sports organization in history in terms of how they operate though.

The Giants? They benefitted from other teams imploding. IF Manning shows up to play, they MIGHT cover the spread though. We will see. Remember though, these guys lost six games in the regular season to some not so stellar teams.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited February 2008
    My thoughts on it are the Pats are the best team period.But who knows,anybody can beat anybody at any given time.Also,the Pats nearly got away from the Ravens,no?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    I'm gonna go with what you said. Pats will take it. Would be fun to watch the Giants win though, but how can you possibly bet against the Pats.

Yes, the '85 Bears were a juggernaut, except for that week 12 hiccup against Miami. Their Buddy Ryan D was one of the greatest ever, next to my 2000 SB winning Ravens D (cough cough). Who did Da Bears stomp all over in the Superbowl...the Pats.

There's no denying the NE Patriots organization has their **** together. Quite amazing actually! A well oiled machine!

John
    No excuses!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    tonyb wrote: »
    My thoughts on it are the Pats are the best team period.But who knows,anybody can beat anybody at any given time.Also,the Pats nearly got away from the Ravens,no?

I'm STILL pissed how the Ravens handed them that game! They had them beat and with 3 minutes left in the game....just imploded!

Oh well, new coach with new staff coming up next season. I'm excited!

John
    No excuses!
  • TroyD
    edited February 2008
    If we were going 85 Bears vs. this years Pats....in one game, it's a push. Play them in a best of 7 and I'm going with the Bears in 7.

Those Bears, one, had a defense that COULD slow down the Pats offense. Plus, on the offensive side of the ball, Payton would have his way with the suspect NE run defense. The key is the Bears controlling time of possession, if they do that, they win. Period.

The problem that the teams this year are having with NE is that the ones who have controlled the clock aren't cashing in. They are kicking field goals and if you settle for field goals, New England wins. Period.

BDT
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited February 2008
    TroyD wrote: »
    In the interest of providing some other avenues of conversation.

Let's go. Pats/Giants.

I'm going with the Pats and they cover the spread.

I'll also go on record and say that they are NOT the most talented team ever assembled. I'd probably go with the 1985 bears.

I DO think that they are the best professional sports organization in history in terms of how they operate though.

The Giants? They benefitted from other teams imploding. IF Manning shows up to play, they MIGHT cover the spread though. We will see. Remember though, these guys lost six games in the regular season to some not so stellar teams.

BDT

Was that the era of the 'Fridge' and the dude with the sunglasses and the 'Superbowl Shuffle'?
  • TroyD
    edited February 2008
    McMahon. Yeah. Actually, he was the weak link of the team, IMHO.

BDT
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Most people would agree with that assessment of McMahon.

Anyway, I take Pats but dont' think they cover 14 points. That's a lot of points and the Giants are on a roll. I'll say it's a touchdown or less.

But who knows. In this weather on this turf the Pats offense has been at its best, so this could be a score-fest.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • TroyD
    edited February 2008
    I think with good weather, it's a track meet and I don't think that the Giants can keep the pace up.

That said, I've been wrong before.

BDT
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    36-13 Pats over giants.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2008
    Pats by 3.

I'm a big Pats fan, but let's be honest: Eli wants it bad after taking year after year of losing the pissing contest to big bro Peyton. The Patriots will be going for their 4th super bowl ring in less than 10 years (4th!) with the further added pressure of going for the perfect season in what's to be possibly the most watched event in the history of TV.

I figure it's going to take Brady 2 quarters to learn to bear that burden. Pats need this victory much more than the Giants do, which allows Eli to relax while the Pats are strung as tight as the Pope's pooper. Giants lead at the half by 7, Patriots come out gunning in the second and swallow up Eli.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2008
    Hahaha, Refefer.

First, I hate to sound like too much of a douchebaggy Patriots fan, but Brady has never really shown he cant live up to the pressure of the situation, no matter what it is. His first Super Bowl there was a story from his teammates that he actually took a nap right before it happened.

And second, I agree that Eli's played pretty well these past few weeks, but no one can convince me he wants anything bad. The kid rarely looks like he even enjoys the game of football. And it's not like his taking a back seat to his brother was unjustified; Eli's been inconsistent for his whole career (which started with him being a whiny **** and not wanting to go to San Diego, btw) while his brother has been one of the best quarterbacks of the last decade.

If the Giants win / are close in this game, I think it will be in spite of Eli, not because of his amazing drive.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2008
    Pats? Giants? Who cares? The team with the prettiest cheerleaders should win.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2008
    Early B. wrote: »
    Pats? Giants? Who cares? The team with the prettiest cheerleaders should win.

The Giants don't have cheerleaders. Woohoo!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    I'm rooting for the Giants. I would rather see the record of two brothers winning back to back Super Bowls on different teams than a team going 19-0. The unbeaten thing has already been done.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Not 19-0 it hasn't
  • shack
    edited February 2008
    Not 19-0 it hasn't

Miami would have if they could have drug up two more opponents in '72...no big deal.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    True, but they couldn't and they didn't. Point is, this will be the first time in the history of the NFL a team going 19-0....wayyyy more significant than the Manning bro's going back to back.
  • shack
    edited February 2008
    True, but they couldn't and they didn't. Point is, this will be the first time in the history of the NFL a team going 19-0....wayyyy more significant than the Manning bro's going back to back.

IYO. Like I said...no big deal. Someday they will play 20 games and someone will go 20-0.

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    Pats should crush the Giants. Anything less would be a disapointment for Pats fans who have seen a once in a lifetime event as fans.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2008
    I will be cheering for the Giants all the way. They took them to the buzzer last game of the season, I think they will take them this game.

**Ok ok... my hatred for the Pat's may be tainting my view, but heck, anybody is better than the ugly pats! Somebody, please just beat them!**
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2008
    Pats. Been a Pats fan way before their swoosh logo:rolleyes:
    And they are going to win.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2008
    Giants cover, maybe even pull off the miracle win. I think they're game. The Pats have tailed off since the 2nd half of the season and are ripe for the picking.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • TroyD
    edited February 2008
    ...and yet nobody seems to have been able to completely break the code.

BDT
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2008
    Plus, all of the Pats "marginal" games have been in winter weather.... now they're gonig to be on near-perfect turf in near-perfect weather, I think the offensive machine hits its stride again.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    I think the code has been cracked by 4 teams this season, but it's Belichick's effin' stellar coaching that leads to their execution is what's helped them win over crappier coached teams that's scheme almost beat them.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2008
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008

Would you point out the "significance" of this? It is a sports accomplishment. Its significance benefits whom? Players? Owners?
  • shack
    edited February 2008
    Would you point out the "significance" of this? It is a sports accomplishment. Its significance benefits whom? Players? Owners?

If it brightens the day...just a little...for even ONE pathetic armchair quarterback...isn't that significant?

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    The entire affair could be viewed as significant when looked at in that light.

But 19-0 isn't going to stop us from getting hit by a giant comet or Godzilla showing up.