Have You Quit Smoking thread

13»

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Theorists including Calvin Thomas and Judith Butler have suggested that homophobia can be rooted in an individual's fear of being identified as ****.[citation needed] At least one study indicates that homophobia in men is correlated with insecurity about masculinity.[30]

They have argued that a person who expresses homophobic thoughts and feelings does so not only to communicate their beliefs about the class of **** people, but also to distance themself from this class and its social status. Thus, by distancing themself from **** people, they are reaffirming their role as a heterosexual in a heteronormative culture, thereby attempting to prevent themself from being labelled and treated as a **** person.

Man your thinking is quite frightening . . . how in the hell did you get "homophobic behavior" from what he posted? I've said it before and I'll say it again, there seems to be something wrong with the way you process informtion.!

I find you to be a very scary person Ron.:eek:
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    52mqjqf.jpg

Hahahahahahahhahahahahah that's someone's girlfriend/wife hahahahaha :p:D
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I don't know what the hell you just said there Ron, but while smoking may be socially unacceptable in "your" world it is a "right, freedom and choice" in ours.

Bravo, and thank you.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2008
    Man your thinking is quite frightening . . . how in the hell did you get "homophobic behavior" from what he posted? I've said it before and I'll say it again, there seems to be something wrong with the way you process informtion.!

I find you to be a very scary person Ron.:eek:

4 years of engineering school + 20 years of working closely with the UAW will definitely distort the way information is processed is in the 'noggin.

Monster Cables scare me!!! I'm just about as scarey as.... (see below attachment)

- Ron
  • rskarvan
    edited January 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    $10 bucks says you don't even know what you just said.

I only I had $10 from everyone who has made that promise!!!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    I only I had $10 from everyone who has made that promise!!!

headbutt.gif
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    Ron,why does every conversation with you end up with ****'s and social behavior being injected in? Seems to me France is made for you,hurry up,you'll miss the next flight.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    Scariest/Saddest anti-smoking video I've ever seen. This compares to NO other video, 100% guarantee that.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u_8BerrJg0M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u_8BerrJg0M&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited February 2008
    Well back on topic...or at least try to.

I read this thread and realized two things. 1) I need to really quit and 2) I have smoked for over 15 years.

Right now and for the past 10 years I have smoked an average on 1/2 pack a day. And I am a Respiratory Therapist! Pretty pathetic huh! But I never have preached to my patients that they need to quit smoking.

My wife asked me when I was going to quit smoking a few weeks ago, and my kids are asking more and more. It's just so damn hard, but I really need to set a date and just do it.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2008
    Not smoking is easy.... all you have to do is QUIT BUYING CIGGS. Don't own them. Don't borrow them. And, don't carry any method of lighting them.

What is difficult is dealing with the cravings, the grumpies, etc. Of course, this is offset by not having to deal with the coughs, sore throats, being sick, etc.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited February 2008
    Carefull Ron,your infringing on my constitutional granted rights.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2008
    tonyb wrote: »
    Carefull Ron,your infringing on my constitutional granted rights.

That's ok Tonyb. You are harassing me endlessly!!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited February 2008
    Pot, Kettle, Black Ron. You are harassing us endlessly. Please God, make it stop!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    Not smoking is easy.... all you have to do is QUIT BUYING CIGGS. Don't own them. Don't borrow them. And, don't carry any method of lighting them.

Should this read:

Not annoying is easy.... all you have to do is QUIT Annoying. Don't log in. Don't bookmark. And, don't respond

Obviously, breaking addictions is not that easy.
    Let me know what they say at AA ~ Annoyers Anonymous
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited February 2008
    superbowl '95....cold turkey:eek: 40 lbs heavier now!:( but i can run marathons!!!:)
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2008
    Just wanted to let you all know that I haven't smoked in like 5 years now!!! Quit cold turkey. No nicotine is the only way to go.
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited February 2008
    Guys, it's NOT that hard to quit. Believe me you just have to really and truly decide to do it. Also, having a large supply of sunflower seed on hand helps alot.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    I have a serious somking question. Why do people blame the cig companies for all the health problems people have with smoking? It's basic common sense that smoking is not a healthy thing to do and secondly the cig companies are not making you do it, smoking is 100% your choice to do or not to do.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    I have a serious somking question. Why do people blame the cig companies for all the health problems people have with smoking? It's basic common sense that smoking is not a healthy thing to do and secondly the cig companies are not making you do it, smoking is 100% your choice to do or not to do.

It wasn't common sense at all many years ago. Doctors once extolled the health benefits, yes benefits, associated with smoking. The cigarette companies have always spent a huge amount of money on advertising their products and attempting to control the public's perception of smoking.

In modern times there is certainly no excuse for not knowing the consequences of a lifetime of smoking.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »

Because we live in a society where everything is someone elses fault.
  • bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited February 2008
    Actors and actresses of the day were paid good money to pitch the ads.

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    Exactly Demiurge, exactly.

It wasn't common sense at all many years ago. Doctors once extolled the health benefits, yes benefits, associated with smoking. The cigarette companies have always spent a huge amount of money on advertising their products and attempting to control the public's perception of smoking.
    Come on, not common sense to inhale smoke? Right. I'd really like to see some proof that backs up doctors stating that smoking had benefits.
    If...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    I regret to inform everyone that I have not been able to get the monkey off my back and a set of BFGoodrich drag radials went up in smoke to the point of failure tonight. I'm sorry for disappointing everyone and falling off the wagon. I will try to do better next time. I blame Demiurge for this, it's all his fault! ;)
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2008
    I know an engineer at Phillip Morris. They do experiments with nicotine concentrations in an effort to maximize the addictive nature of a particular brand. Test studies, etc. And, they deliberately add pure nicotine to certain tabaccos to "up the level". Yep... cigg companies are guilty of doing evil.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    They may be guilty of doing evil (what company doesn't) but they don't make you pic up a stick and smoke it.
    If...
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited February 2008
    Been smoke free for 34 years. I quit by not starting. I run 3 miles a day (my knees give out after that). I'm glad I never started the habit. My parents smoked all my life and the smell made me sick. One reason why I never got hooked.