• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    Once, I stopped smoking.

The end.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited January 2008
    I smoked as a young GI from 79 to 85 (when cartons overseas were $2.10; on sale for $1.80), then I quit. So, one try and I was done. You just have to make up your mind and do it.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited January 2008
    The only thing I smoke is tires and my friends will attest that a good chunk of my yearly budget goes towards tires. But you know what? It's so much freakin' fun! WOOHOO!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Smoked all through college, from probably '99 to '03 or '04. Half-**** quit a few times in there, but once I decided to give it up for good it wasn't that hard. Just had to really want it.

Unfortunately, drinking bobman doesn't know that sober bobman hates smoking.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    I smoke, I like it, it's my damn choice, I'm not quitting and I find this thread offensive.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited January 2008
    For how long: 6yrs
    How many times did you try to quit: 1
    Your tips or keys to quitting: cold turkey and did it with my wife
    Misc: one of the best things I have done. I was amazed on how much I could taste food and drinks after quitting

I do still smoke cigars once in a blue moon, just how blue...well I have about 10 cigars in my humidor that have been there for 1-2 yrs.
  • petrym
    edited January 2008
    Call out the Tobacco PC squad... Jesse's offended! Remove all tobacco ads from F1 cars! Oh, they already did that in the oppressive countries... ;)
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    I have never once tried a cigarrette. True story. Are you going to quit, Candy?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • petrym
    edited January 2008
    Willow wrote: »
    I do still smoke cigars once in a blue moon, just how blue...well I have about 10 cigars in my humidor that have been there for 1-2 yrs.
    I still have about 15 cigars in my humidor, they've been there anywhere from 3 to 7 years depending on purchase date.
  • petrym
    edited January 2008
    Good for you Wingnut! :D
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    I smoke, I like it, it's my damn choice, I'm not quitting and I find this thread offensive.

I concur....once again.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    The only thing I smoke is tires and my friends will attest that a good chunk of my yearly budget goes towards tires. But you know what? It's so much freakin' fun! WOOHOO!

Are you aware of the damage that second hand rubber can cause?

Shame on you.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    petrym wrote: »
    I still have about 15 cigars in my humidor, they've been there anywhere from 3 to 7 years depending on purchase date.

Ahhhh.now that I have tried. I do like a good cigar but rarely. Last one was about 6 months ago. Maybe I will pick one up once or twice a year?
    3.gif

Oh..and I run about 25 miles a week.:)
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

Shame on you.

Second hand rubber.....that just sounds wrong.....wayyyy wrong.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008

He just found out how much mercury is in them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited January 2008
    I'm like willow. I smoked a pack and a half of Marlboro Reds a day for about 5 years. I decided to quit one day and that was it. Three days of misery, and eating 20lbs of sunflower seeds. I once had the urge to start again, and bought a humidor. I now smoke one to three cigars a month and recommend quitting regular cigarettes to anyone.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    Don't plan on it in the near future.Kinda like it myself.Drinking and smokeing go together like pb&j,tom and jerry,ben and jerry for that matter too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    Congrats to all the smokers that became non. It is probably the toughest thing to do, because so much will power is involved. I started smoking in the .. hmm.. lets see.. 4 grade.. somewhere around there. I grew up as a child listening to the beastie boys " smokin in the boys room " song. I have tried to quit smoking many times.. The longest was when my Dad hung me in the garage!!!! Just kidding, but very close, ahh that was decades ago. The problem is, I enjoy drinking, and its damn near impossible to not smoke with a drink!

The guys with cigars for several years, any of them Cuban by chance?

Jstas, what smokin vehicle you got? I think its inline with this topic, it involves smoking right?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited January 2008
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

Shame on you.

Yeah and it's a **** to get the rubber chunks out of the wheel wells!

That and the cops don't really like it. Act like we're a bunch of hooligans or something.

Still, the shear thrill of taking a set of tires rated for 80,000 mile treadwear warranty and blowing through all 80,000 miles in a matter of seconds, digging warm, squishy ruts in the asphalt and leaving smoldering piles of rubber (sometimes flames too!) in the road and making it look like somebody took a Sharpie marker with limited-slip and left 1,000 feet of rubber marks down the road is just...well, it's just...beauty! :D

Heh, 500 horses, 650 pound feet of torque in a pickup truck, what crazy nutbag thought that up? He's my hero! :cool:
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2008
    Jstas wrote: »

John, filtered or non-filtered?

Smoked moderately for a number of years and tried to quite a number of times. Sometimes I'd go for a few months but would fall back into it. I finally put my mind to it in a real way, quite cold turkey and never took another drag. That was twenty five years ago.
  • Hi-Buy
    Hi-Buy Posts: 110
    edited January 2008
    I need to quit but, I'm no quitter. cough, cough, hack up lung k better now.
    Big thanks to "Neskahi" !
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited January 2008
    Willow wrote: »
    Your tips or keys to quitting: cold turkey and did it with my wife

....must ..... resist ..... urge .... to make ...... smartass ........ comment .....
    .....step away ...... from ..... the ...... keyboard ............

Whew ! Did it !
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    Ahh.. limited slip.. domestic!
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2008
    just had my 1 year anniversary. When your ready to quit it will be much easier. Not running yet but walk 5 miles a day. I enjoy a good cigar once in a while as well
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited January 2008
    I've started smoking back in high school, but only after college I became a full blown "smoker" .
    I've been smoking a pack a day for 13 years, I quit about 7 weeks ago, and I feel a little better everyday.
    this is my first honest attempt to quit. I have good reasons this time as, with god's blessing I'll become a dad later this month (keep your fingers crossed for us) .
    +1 on cold turkey as the best way to quit.

I do believe that all the Clich
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited January 2008
    For how long: Around 25 years
    How many times did you try to quit: 1
    Your tips or keys to quitting: Cold Turkey - don't start another addiction to a quiting aide.
    Misc: Have to be ready mentally. I read where nicotine addiction is harder to kick than heroin.
    Updated info when appropriate: Quit Smoking forum was very helpful. People going thru same torture could relate to each other.
    How many miles are you jogging now: 1.5 every morning. Was running 4 miles/day pre-surgery last year. Haven't built back up to that.

edit - I quit about 9.5 years ago and have never picked up another cig.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    I quit for 45 days while in Desert Storm, had a weak moment and a pack of marlboro reds sitting within reach--it was all over.

It's not difficult to quit, it is staying quit for the long term that is hard. I quit smoking anytime I have a bad cold, flu--it does help me feel better, faster; and it really doesn't bother me. 2 things get me everytime: 1) Boredom 2) I don't like the way most food taste when I am quitting.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited January 2008
    For how long: 35 years (on and off)

How many times did you try to quit: No frigging clue (more times then I started:)

Your tips or keys to quitting: Just do it. I tried the patch, welbutrin (made me 24x7 road-rage crazy) and hard candies. Bottom line I find you have to make up your mind and treat it like being an alcoholic, 1 day at a time!

How many miles are you jogging now: None. I start my workout program 2/1/08

Misc: I have stopped since 12/1/07. As I stated this time I REALLY want to stop. This is the only product, when used as directed, WILL kill you!

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55