Considering selling all of my audio gear

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited January 2008
    I call dibs on my BP10B
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    Sell it all.

or realize....

Bad deals happen, nature of the beast, get over it.

Take a break, come back when you feel like it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Where does this guy live that you bought the projector from, send me his info, After I get done with him he will be begging you to take his money.

Sal

I didn't know Tony Soprano was a member here. COOL!:eek::D
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited January 2008
    Alex, I met you and your Dad for about 3 hours. Now you can't tell much in that time but you can get an idea of who someone is. Here's the way I see it. Your Dad is super cool; you’re in a good college getting a great degree.

If the main reason for selling is because this hobby is preventing you, or jeopardizing you from getting your degree, then I say sell it immediately. You will never get these 4 years back and if you think getting screwed on one piece of gear is bad, wait until you get into the working world, own a house and have kids one day. You’ll often think about how easy your life is right now and how silly this projector incident really is.

I’m not saying that this incident shouldn’t piss you off now; I would be pissed getting screwed out of $100.00. I’m just saying school should be your #1 priority and take the advice that many people have stated already. Before making any irrational decisions, it’s always best to walk away from the situation as long as possible, and then return to it with a clear head. Besides, someone already mentioned, you won’t get back nearly what you paid for it so keep it if money\school is not an issue.

I expect to see you next week at polrbehr’s house but you should leave your girlfriend at home since Face can’t stop talking about her :D
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    Sell everything and buy a whole new system. Once you're done, you'll forget you ever considered moving away from audio.

Seriously, at this point, you couldn't sell your stuff even if you tried. We have successfully taken you into audio's inner sanctum, and once you're in, you can never leave.

No refunds on fun, dude.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited January 2008
    Sell it. Then get a T amp and some Monitor 7s and start enjoying some music.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Sell it all.

or realize....

Bad deals happen, nature of the beast, get over it.

Take a break, come back when you feel like it.

Exactly. I took a break for a while, drank excessively, listened to the gear I had, then kinda trotted back in here and spent a WHOLE lot more $$ on new(er) gear recently....I had a lot personal **** going on, like almost becoming homeless, but either way........Take a break, enjoy what you have, and just keep on truckin'....If I had sold all of my gear I would be in a completely different place now, I really loved sitting down and listening after one of my many shitacular days over the last six months.....Put the broke dick projector in the closet, and don't touch it for a couple of months. You'll come back to it later with a better mindset, and a fresh perspective.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2008
    I say sleep on it and take a break for a while then decide.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2008
    Don't liquidate it all, if anything, just simplify. I've had to do it for financial reasons recently - and I've found myself enjoying audio more than I have in long time.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited January 2008
    Oh comon!! I'm living with $40 bucks of crap I like to call my speaker system. Please!!

Just take a little time away from your rig and then you'll see that once you get rid of your stuff, It'll be gone. Right now, I'm feeling the same thing, I was going to sell my comp speaks for $80. But once it's gone, it's gone and it's gonna take a lot to buy back what I already have: two speakers and a sub. I don't have a job at 16 and nobody is really going to trust me with work...

Just stick it out!!
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    Nope. But I will say, I have no problem watching a 13" Zenith TV.
    Or I can sell all my gear and get a Bose Wave Radio and still be happy.

Just box everything up and store your gear away for a while. If you really don't miss it, sell everything and move on. If you start having withdrawal pains you can just set it all up again.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited January 2008
    I can do without most of the stuff I have, at least for a while, but I can't do without decent sound. I don't constantly swap gear, and I don't consider this a hobby, it's part of what I enjoy in life.

I'd have a hard time imagining anyone here not having at least a bare bones, decent sounding system.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    I've often found that stuff I thought would be better really isn't or it doesnt live up to my expectations, so my advice to you...QUIT UPGRADING (or even thinking about upgrading)...sit back when you have the time and enjoy your stuff.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2008
    Unless you need the money just let it sit there until you want to play with it some more.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    Wow, a lot of your responses were very insightful.

I haven't made up my mind yet -

It's just this terrible feeling I have lingering in my mind, knowing that I was scammed well over $1,000 and I can't do anything about it.

But thanks, this goes to show how wonderful Club Polk is. No matter whatever path I decide to choose, I will always remember this forum.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Im not going to sell any of my gear... for a LONG time

And Im sticking to that

Cheer up, turn on some tunes and relax

um...I believe you. No. Really.I do.:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    I, too am thinking of selling my stuff off. I don't know....I've got a 5.1 system, and I don't even rent movies....because hollywood is more interested in preaching their 'enlightened' views than entertaining us. I've upgraded from RM10 2 years ago, to Monitor 30's 1.5 years ago, and then upgraded the fronts to Monitor 60's.
    I just may sell it all off and start over; LSi15's, an amp,....
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    I, too am thinking of selling my stuff off. I don't know....I've got a 5.1 system, and I don't even rent movies....because hollywood is more interested in preaching their 'enlightened' views than entertaining us. I've upgraded from RM10 2 years ago, to Monitor 30's 1.5 years ago, and then upgraded the fronts to Monitor 60's.
    I just may sell it all off and start over; LSi15's, an amp,....

I'm considering selling all my stuff for good. And then take that money and just put it in the bank :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    once your gear is gone or sold.... trust me.. you'll want it back.. that's when it makes it tough get more gear...
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    It's just this terrible feeling I have lingering in my mind, knowing that I was scammed well over $1,000 and I can't do anything about it.
    Actually I had an epiphany today at work. I recently sold a big screen TV to a friend of mine. Since he didn't have a truck I told him that I would deliver it for him, so we go over to John's house [on loan] and pick the 25 ton TV up. OK, I exaggerated. It was heavy though.

Now, we are cruising down the highway listening to some tunes...chillin' and all is well. Then I hear something hit the back of my truck. "WTF!!!" I yelled as I'm seeing debris fly every which direction including into the cars traveling behind me. Not knowing what just happened, I pull over.

Long story short, between the cold and the speed, apparently that's all it took to take the lens assembly and completely shatter the outer layer. That's what was the debris. Nothing actually hit the truck, it was the lens smacking around in the back of the truck bed.

The reason I am telling you this is because this was about a [new] $4,200.00 TV that I sold to him for $200.00 'cause I didn't have room for it in the TH and the WAF just wasn't there [she's an interior designer...."it's too big" :rolleyes:] anyway, he got hooked up with a steal of a deal and figured that the outer layer of a 60" lens was 80 bucks or so. Not so.

They are apparently sold as a package and the cheapest one he could get delivered to his house was close to $680.00. My point? Sell the lens separate from the TV and part the thing out. Throw the chassis away and take the working components out, throw them on E-bay, Craigslist, local newspapers, whatever. If you wanted a board that cost $1500.00 to replace and someone else wants another board you have that costs $800.00.....................

Are you following me? Just a thought to help recoup the cost, calm your folks down and get $$$ back into your wallet. The lens assembly? just take a look at how much just THAT part is going for. That's all I'm gonna say about it. ;)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    life often times hands you lemons.... and **** happens.. and the check is in the mail..

big lesson learned the hard way appadv.. but it's not the end of the world.. sell off the parts as treitz3 said... there is bound to be someone in need of parts from that projector.

move forward and go on with your life. it's not the end of the world. it sucks because it was a big amount of money.. but things have a way of turning around... do you think someone like Russ or Doro or F1Nut, etc haven't had some deals go bad at some point? I don't know anyone in this hobby who hasn't had at least one transaction go bad..

anyway.. enough pep talk what you do from here forward will say a lot about your happiness over this whole projector mishap. You can either put it behind you or dwell on it and be miserable. the choice is your's
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    Take a look at your system, & I will bet that there is a lot more invested there than what the projector cost. (and all of it works!) You will probably never recoup your original cost & once you sell it, that's it its gone & then you would have to start from scratch again, once you get over this disappointment. (and you will!)

Stuff like this happens to all of us. Chalk it up to a learning experience & move on. But there is no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Sell off the parts as suggested, get something else or just leave it be for a while & get on with your life.

One day you will want to hear some tunes on a decent system & there yours will be just waiting for you to turn it on.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    When life deals you lemons, make lemonade.

When life deals you vodka, then have a party!

Keep looking for that vodka!
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Okay, I have an idea -

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm thinking of fixing the projector I got scammed on and then enjoy it. It's the "missing link" in my setup and without it, I won't be able to enjoy my movies. However, I need to spend some money to get that projector working, and I'm planning on buying the following parts machines:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Sony-VPH-G70-CRT-Projectors-Pick-up-only-NO-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ140201768590QQihZ004QQcategoryZ32862QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The only problem is that (a) they are 190lbs each, which means two of them = close to 400lbs, (b) I'll need to fork over some cash to buy these parts machines, which will be tough, and (c) I don't have a means of transporting them, they won't fit in a small car. So I'm being held back due to these circumstances.

What would you guys suggest?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    what kind of car do you drive that you can't get those 2 machines in it?
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    I just want to get this projector fixed so that I can enjoy my music and movies again. I just got back from listening to the rig, and I have to say, it is absolutely phenomenal. Music has become a part of my life.

I absolutely enjoy listening to music on the rig, and feel that as a music lover, it is essential. Now I am just missing a great picture. So, with that said, what do you guys think I should do?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited January 2008

2000 Nissan Maxima. Won't even fit one.

If I'm correct, your Infiniti G35 has a larger trunk than the Maxima?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008

57808928_75ff2000cd.jpg
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Haha, it looks like two of these won't fit in a large SUV (like a Suburban)

This is a pic that I found online of someone moving their projector:

g903aj.jpg

Apparently this guy could fit one projector in a big SUV but two? I don't know what will do the trick.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    I'm just trying to figure out how in the world I will be able to get TWO of these projectors to fit in a Nissan Maxima :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1