Considering selling all of my audio gear

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
It's been a wonderful year here on Club Polk, but I am seriously considering selling all of my audio equipment and moving on to something else. It's partly a combination of being scammed with a purchase, not knowing what to do, and then losing faith in the hobby. Unfortunately, it really sucks.

I think I'm just going to sell everything, take this money, and set it in the bank. Maybe I'll be able to do something else with it. Like do the research I always wanted to do in college.

I've got my sights set on a few other things and it seems like now is the time to move on.
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited January 2008
    Best of luck to ya...

** What kind of amp does he have... ** ;)
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited January 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    I think I'm just going to sell everything,

Does that include your tv?:D

Well, if thats what you truly want to do, then go for it.

But you know the saying... you don't know what you have until its gone.

Best of luck, and I got first dibs on the tv;)
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    tommyboy wrote: »
    Does that include your tv?:D

Well, if thats what you truly want to do, then go for it.

Best of luck, and I got first dibs on the tv;)

Nope. But I will say, I have no problem watching a 13" Zenith TV.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    tommyboy wrote: »

Game.....set.....match.

You'll wanna shoot yourself in the foot when it's all gone. You have so many years ahead of you, just fix your projector and enjoy it. You'll be glad you did.
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Game.....set.....match.

You'll wanna shoot yourself in the foot when it's all gone. You have so many years ahead of you, just fix your projector and enjoy it. You'll be glad you did.

That's uplifting to say the least, as I want to stay in this hobby, but it's a whole combination of things working against each other...

Someone here tell me its worth it all!

Or I can sell all my gear and get a Bose Wave Radio and still be happy.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/home_entertainment/music_systems/wave/awms/index.jsp

"it rivals the sound of much larger, more complicated stereos."

Hmm, looks like a nice product.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited January 2008
    Sell it all. When you get the audio/video bug again then buy yourself a new system.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008
    I think you're still reeling from your projector fiasco. If I were you, I'd give it 2 weeks or so before doing anything drastic like selling all your gear. Just think it over, take it easy for a while and then reconsider. Maybe even ignore all your equipment for a few weeks...
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited January 2008
    I think you need to just step back for a second. I feel you man. I had a piece of equipment a while back that gave me absolute hell. The very presence of it in my home, just ruined the mood and killed my audio experience. Go do something else for a day or two. After that, either sell the projector or fix it. Once it's working you will be in love again. Fixing the projector or selling it may be a pain in the **** at times. If it becomes so, step back, breather and go do something else. When you are ready . . . finsih the job and then continue with your audio journey.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2008
    If push comes to shove - maybe it is time to hold with what you have for awhile. Not sell it all, but don't keep adding to it either. Spend some of the money you had earmarked for your next upgrade on music or movies that got you into this hobby to begin with.

Enjoy what you have for awhile.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Wow,

Just by reading some of these responses, I think this is what makes Club Polk such a great place. Some of you have given me great advice over the past year and I really appreciate it.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008
    Wow,

Just by reading some of these responses, I think this is what makes Club Polk such a great place.

Yeah, we don't want to see you leave!
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2008
    I'm sure we've all gone through the "bad deal syndrome" at one time in our audio lives. Stick with it. All will be good eventually.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2008
    I honestly think that music, and to a lesser extent (for me), movies, are some of those pleasures in life that truly give you some peace of mind. I could not imagine life without audio. I would have a little difficulty imagining life without video. I would have no issues imagining life (and frequently do) without TV: it would be gone already, mostly because of excessive and constantly annoying commercials exposure, except for the wifey's addiction to HGTV and my need to watch CNBC from time to time.

Getting rid of a decent audio/video setup because of a grueling disappointment experience is a mistake IMHO. I would buy some excellent CDs or DVDs to get some added enjoyment from it to show just how worth it the effort really is.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Kex wrote: »
    I honestly think that music, and to a lesser extent (for me), movies, are some of those pleasures in life that truly give you some peace of mind. I could not imagine life without audio. I would have a little difficulty imagining life without video. I would have no issues imagining life (and frequently do) without TV: it would be gone already, mostly because of excessive and constantly annoying commercials exposure, except for the wifey's addiction to HGTV and my need to watch CNBC from time to time.

Getting rid of a decent audio/video setup because of a grueling disappointment experience is a mistake IMHO. I would buy some excellent CDs or DVDs to get some added enjoyment from it to show just how worth it the effort really is.

Wow, that is really insightful. I never thought of it that way.

I am a "music lover" at heart and think that a day without music is a mistake.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    I would sleep on that a bit. You might regret it. You will always be bound to run into disappointment from time to time. When that happens, don't abandon something you love.
    If you find that it's truly not a passion and you are happy with your Bose and 13" set, then hell yeah! Use that dough for something you will enjoy. Good luck. Hate to see you go.:(
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    Buy yourself a turntable and start spinning some vinyl.....then you can feel the vinyl peoples pain and tell us how you really feel. :D

reallyfeal.jpg
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    Wow, that is really insightful. I never thought of it that way. ...
    Thanks for the vote of confidence appadv!
    ... I am a "music lover" at heart and think that a day without music is a mistake.
    My sentiment exactly.
    Alea jacta est!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Or I can sell all my gear and get a Bose Wave Radio and still be happy.
    Whoa!!! Hold on there young whippersnapper. You want to quit, quit. Man please don't ever let me hear you say those words again. It shot a spear straight thru my heart. :eek:

Seriously, whatever you want to do is fine with all of us as it is your life, your decision and all that jazz. That said, when I had a stereo system ripped off when I was about your age [many thousands of moons ago] I said the same thing. Screw it. I'm out.

I was so devastated because I had spent three or four summers mowing an ungodly amount of lawns and working anywhere I could to build this system up. Depression quickly gave way to just flat out missing good sound [which admittedly sounded like crap compared to today's rig]. Point being is I missed good sound enough to overcome my feelings of wanting out and quitting and I couldn't imagine ever going without HI-FI sound. Twenty years later, I am head over heels involved in my audio journey and I'm enjoying every blissful moment of it.

My point is that back then I wanted to quit because I was without a system and had to start all over again for what I had already worked so hard to get. If you sell your system and then you get the bug for great sound again, you will have put a dent in your audio journey and you will have placed yourself [by your choice] in the same position I was in back then. I didn't have a choice. It was already gone. ;)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    I really hate when people call enjoying good sound a hobby. I get tinkering with your gear, that's a hobby, but good sound isn't something you should have to sacrifice.

Don't let a piece of gear take away from your enjoyment of good sound. The people that are never satisfied with what they have are just on the other end of that spectrum. They're too concerned with the gear to ever truly enjoy what they have. To each their own, but I like to listen to music and watch movies and I bought my system to enhance that experience.

Maybe try enjoying what you have. Besides, you'll never get anywhere near what you paid for it and you'll lose a good sounding system.

So, unless you need to get rid of it, keep it. :)
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Just wanted to say -

I like to listen to music and watch movies. It is an experience that cannot be described in words.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    Just wanted to say -

I like to listen to music and watch movies. It is an experience that cannot be described in words.
    So why are you selling your ****?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Did you read the entire thread? ;)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    Did you read the entire thread? ;)
    Don't make me drive over to ******** to smack some sense into you boy. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    You should unless your birds after appadv, they'll teach him to wanna sell his gear.

Seriously dude, if the projector is causing this grief....sell the damn thing. Better yet, buy those two for $800, fix 2 of them, and sell them both.....don't keep either. Then buy yourself some 2ch gear and enjoy!
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    Face wrote: »
    Don't make me drive over to ... to smack some sense into you boy. :D
    Get in the car Face! We can't take any chances!
    Alea jacta est!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    Sleep on it,alot of us have been scammed in the past,maybe not to the extent of your situation,but you move on,lesson learned.Yeah,it's a tough pill to swallow,but years from now,you'll look back,laugh,and wish that was the only problem in your life.If you sell your gear,you'll miss it.Might be good therapy though.You can always start anew.As good old Bob Seger said," Rock n Roll never forgets ".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited January 2008
    Im not going to sell any of my gear... for a LONG time

And Im sticking to that

Cheer up, turn on some tunes and relax
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    here you go. this will all make sense now... :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,674
    edited January 2008
    Listen to the cat, appdv ..... listen to the cat .......

....and remember. Sometimes life sucks, and sometimes life is like a 20 ton weight, crushing down on you like a grape in a wine press. At other times, it's bone-numbing and soul crushing at the same time, but occasionaly life only bites the big one just a little, without entirely sucking out the life forces within you. Of course, those times are few and far between, but they happen often enough to allow you to stagger from one mind-numbing misadventure to the other, grasping desparately to the scant hope that things might possibly get slightly more tolerable at some unknown point in the distant future but knowing, from experience, that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of that ever happening.

So, see ...... it's all good !

:)

you know ... those Dale Carnegie courses are really starting to pay off

So sit back, relax, and enjoy some tunes.
    Everything else is fleeting, but good tunes is good tunes.
    Sal Palooza