Warner goes blu exclusive

13»

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    fock downloading and quacking cockle suckers, lets see some more chicks.

RT1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,446
    edited January 2008
    "A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry."

It's a shame that Warner didn't see that when it backed DVD-A instead of SACD.
    Consumers eventually benefit by not having a repeat of the high-def audio wars with a poor niche choice in players and software.
    It wasn't and isn't the players. There's plenty from entry level to uber hifi to chose from to this day. While part of the problem was the format war, the biggest part lays elsewhere. Had Sony done what they said they would do, release their entire catalog on hybrid SACD, there would probably be only one audio choice today, hybrid SACD. However, the greedy artists and agents wanted 3 times the royalties for the 3 different layers on a SACD disc and that is what killed hi-rez audio.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the education. I didn't know about all the background behind the audio stuff. Just knew that the software section for these formats is still comparatively small in all the stores I've seen them in. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to HD Video if player sales remain modest. Guess it's even more evidence that affordable and available hardware can't drive adoption as much as software can...
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2008
    although i want both formats to survive, i have to admit that ONE needs to reign supreme. then we shall see closer to mass adoption of high def media. i'd rather it happen now than later. even if it's blu-ray.

and **** will not decide anything. ever check on pricing of hd dvd ****? $35-$50 per disc! yikes! and those don't get on any BOGO lists. and you have to hunt to even find them on the net. no, **** is irrelevant. i haven't even purchased any. and i'm an hd dvd and **** nut-case.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    BIZILL wrote: »
    although i want both formats to survive, i have to admit that ONE needs to reign supreme. then we shall see closer to mass adoption of high def media. i'd rather it happen now than later. even if it's blu-ray.

and **** will not decide anything. ever check on pricing of hd dvd ****? $35-$50 per disc! yikes! and those don't get on any BOGO lists. and you have to hunt to even find them on the net. no, **** is irrelevant. i haven't even purchased any. and i'm an hd dvd and **** nut-case.

OK, we get it already.. you like your ****. :p

you being format neutral, caused you to HAVE to purchase both HD format players just so that you don't get left out of one of the other one. I think it's foolish to have to buy two players currently to be able to enjoy the kinds of movies you like. In the end, if Blu Ray wins, there will no longer be movies like Transformers that are only HD DVD exclusive releases. Think how many non sales of Transformers are being missed by not offering it on Blu Ray?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,674
    edited January 2008
    The "exclusive to HD DVD" arrangements are going to have to be revamped now.

The Don't-Know-Who-They'd-Be technical people could easily say, "We made this exclusive arrangement to release our movie on HD DVD based upon the understanding that HD DVD would be a viable medium into the future, and it isn't".

There'd have to be lawyers involved, to be sure, to mumble-jumble it up (and make some money), but it would be as easy as pie to do.
    Sal Palooza
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited January 2008
    IMG_4909.JPG
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • cheddar
    edited January 2008
    Last year the Blu-ray booth was a ghost town for most of the show. Near the end, the attendant opened up boxes of those little blu-ray flippy pens they had and dumped handfuls in my bag 'cause they couldn't get people to take them. Should be interesting to see the contrast this year...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2008
    Warner's sister company, New Line just made the announcement, it looks like Lord of the Rings will be Blu-ray only as well.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117978461.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    cheddar wrote: »
    Last year the Blu-ray booth was a ghost town for most of the show. Near the end, the attendant opened up boxes of those little blu-ray flippy pens they had and dumped handfuls in my bag 'cause they couldn't get people to take them. Should be interesting to see the contrast this year...

I don't recall it being a ghost town, although I was probably there at a different time....and who wants a FN pen anyways.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    People who write usually use pens. I like collecting the pens at trade shows.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Of course, but it is super easy to just drop a pen in the bag as I'm walking around. T-shirts, backpacks, notebooks, all kinds of goodies i have from trade shows.
  • cheddar
    edited January 2008
    Well, maybe ghost town was a little harsh. But I did pass by it a lot (as it was near one of the entrances) when there was no one there. The pens were actually quite nice. They fold down to 1/3 the size of a regular pen so they don't stab you in the pocket, have a gel grip, and a clip on the end that my wife uses for her purse.
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited January 2008
    Here is my take on this....Whatever happens happens....I have HD-DVD now and will still keep them if HD-DVD goes away.Remember as stated above I can and will still enjoy them plus I have one hell of a player(XA2)....I will simply buy a Blu-Ray player later on....no big deal.All I have to do is spend about $300 on a player and then as I did before buy Hi-Def dvd's except they will be Blu-Ray.Some people here are making the biggest deal about it....NOT ME.....life goes on
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    GaryZ06 wrote: »
    Here is my take on this....Whatever happens happens....I have HD-DVD now and will still keep them if HD-DVD goes away.
    Plus you ll have movies not available on BR and your XA2 will make your SD DVD's look their best.Add a BR player later and all the bases are covered.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited January 2008
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Plus you ll have movies not available on BR and your XA2 will make your SD DVD's look their best.
    Exactly:D
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    There are too many big titles on HD for HD to loose. Transformers, Harry Potter, Bourne Trilogy, Matrix Trilogy, I cant see that going away anytime soon.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited January 2008
    jakelm wrote: »
    There are too many big titles on HD for HD to loose. Transformers, Harry Potter, Bourne Trilogy, Matrix Trilogy, I cant see that going away anytime soon.

Actually, Harry Potter is WB and currently on both formats, the Matrix Trilogy is a WB release, so it will be Blu soon too. Transformers is a one time hit movie. Bourne, yeah whatever. Not enough to keep the ship afloat.

I have to admit, I was leaning towards HD-DVD and was desperately trying to get an XA2 into my system. This sudden shift from WB has totally changed that. Its just too much in favor of Blu. I mean, all the WB, Newline, Disney, Sony Pictures, etc. Yes, HD-DVD has a pretty nice catalog right now, but forthcoming it will be just a fraction of the total available releases. There is no way it can survive unless some other studios decide to publish on HD-DVD.

Like I said before, it really sucks, because there is not ONE BluRay player out there right now that can match up to the XA2, (except maybe the $2k Denon) and unless one is announced at CES, there won't be one for awhile.

I want a Reon (or equivalent) equipped, reliable, BD-Live certifed, BlueRay player for under $600. Then I'll make the jump. Until then, I'll stick with my 480p Denon 2900.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • cheddar
    edited January 2008
    The floodgates on nice blu-ray players may finally open in 2008 if CES announcements become reality. It's yet another often overlooked advantage that blu-ray has -- many other companies besides sony make the hardware. My guess is that this is the real reason that players sell at a premium to hd-dvd. It's not greed (of course it's in there somewhere) as much as they don't want to drive hardware makers out of the market by destroying pricing levels...

Cheap Funai Profile 1.1 player:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=815

PS3 to get Profile 2.0 firmware update:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=814

Additional Sony Profile 2.0 players:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=813

Sony sub-$200 PC drive:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=812

Panasonic Profile 2.0 player that internally decodes all the lossless audio formats:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=810

Panasonic HTiB with Profile 1.1 Blu-ray player:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=809

Marantz Realta (Seems to be at least Profile 1.1) that supports all the lossless audio formats:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=801

And the conference is just getting started...

Edit:

Any Profile can do stellar audio and video playback.
    Profile 1.1 (Bonus View): Picture in Picture commentary.
    Profile 2.0 (BD-Live): Internet connectivity features.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    a few things: (aka my 2 cents)

- The High Def DVD format war won't fade into the sunset like SACD did.
    - I'm certain the studio's love Sony's "pro data protection" politics/integration.
    - Movies aren't a niche group like hi-fi, the Studio's will end this war soon.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • cheddar
    edited January 2008
    bluraybooth_08_inline_1199752269.jpg

Now that's a nice CES booth right there...

...Warner movie props seem well represented too...definitely a change from last year...

http://gear.ign.com/articles/843/843973p1.html

Edit:

A nice summary ...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=830
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    I'm PISSED!!!! I want my money back!!!!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman