Warner goes blu exclusive

margate21
margate21 Posts: 105
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
just saw a headline go by on reuters that says warner is going blu ray exclusive . i am very saddened!! guess i know what i am picking up after work... :(
Home Theater
lsi 15's, lsi c, lsi f/x
onkyo 805
sunfire tga 5200
toshiba - xa2
panasonic bd30
sony kdl40v2500
svs sb12+
Post edited by margate21 on

Comments

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2008
    I am very happy. My investment in a Blu-ray won't be for vain.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited January 2008
    wow.. glad i got the ps3
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited January 2008
    once the "bribe" from HD-DVD to Paramount and Dreamworks expires in nine months, I feel the format war will be over once and for all, then it will be time to invest. Sorry to all the fans of the losing side, but this is good news.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and she's still in the dressing room munching on a candy bar.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited January 2008
    there have been some very good sales from both sides lately. I have been buying alot of both recently
  • margate21
    edited January 2008
    anyone have a bestbuy coupon..
    Home Theater
    lsi 15's, lsi c, lsi f/x
    onkyo 805
    sunfire tga 5200
    toshiba - xa2
    panasonic bd30
    sony kdl40v2500
    svs sb12+
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited January 2008
    You guys are so hung up on one vs the other. Whatever happened to the benefits of competition. Sure I gotta buy 2 players, but if I consider the Toshiba to be the second player, then I'm only spending an extra $175 - not alot of money in the grand scheme of things is it?

I like having both around, keeps the media prices competitive.

While everyone else is griping and complaining and boycotting both formats, I'm buying up all the good deals on media I can find.

Anyone remember what the prices on HD DVD media were like before BR became more accessible - ridiculous. You don't know Sony and the movie studio aren't going to do the same thing if BR wins? Say what you want, but if one or the other wins, you can kiss all those BOGO deals at Amazon goodbye.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    margate21 wrote: »
    anyone have a bestbuy coupon..
    ????
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited January 2008
    Very interesting. Although in the article I read about this on Yahoo, Warner Bros. said they won't start released exclusively on Blu-Ray until May ... which means they have plenty of time to change their minds.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    You guys are so hung up on one vs the other. Whatever happened to the benefits of competition. Sure I gotta buy 2 players, but if I consider the Toshiba to be the second player, then I'm only spending an extra $175 - not alot of money in the grand scheme of things is it?

While everyone else is griping and complaining and boycotting both formats, I'm buying up all the good deals on media I can find.

Anyone remember what the prices on HD DVD media were like before BR became more accessible - ridiculous. You don't know Sony and the movie studio aren't going to do the same thing if BR wins? Say what you want, but if one or the other wins, you can kiss all those BOGO deals at Amazon goodbye.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Lets see 1 HD player for $199 to watch for a year (currently own). Then once the war is over (which will probably be another year) 1 BR player for $199 ( by the time its over) if BR wins. Thats $399 for 2 players with both fomats at my finger tips...

Rather than just sit there and have to hear about how great HD dvd's are. And never experiance HD because I have a problem with "the war".

Fight on..and lets see the prices drop!!!!
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Texas42
    Texas42 Posts: 404
    edited January 2008
    I think he is referring to an 'online' internet coupon you can use at checkout...
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    You guys are so hung up on one vs the other. Whatever happened to the benefits of competition.

This is why I will never understand these stupid assed threads. Competition is a good thing for the consumer, not a bad thing. I have Blu-Ray & HD DVD and I am like a pig in **** right now, especially with all the specials each side is offering trying to get a leg up on the other.

Whatever format ultimately reigns surpreme means i'm out what, exactly? Nothing....HD is HD for the most part and any money invested in the players, which all happen to be connected through video game consoles, isn't in any way money lost.

Going bat **** crazy buy the latest and greatest Blu-Ray & HD DVD players that are released? That is stupid, but most people enjoying HD Disc Media right now aren't doing that.
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited January 2008

HD format war was indeed a key factor in all the media deals, but the war is not over even if one format wins. Remember the biggest competitor to HD format is DVD itself. If they keep selling HD media at a much greater premium then masses will not switch to HD media. I think studios will keep the prices closer to DVDs so that people shift to HD media, the incentive for them is tighter copyright control in the HD media.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • margate21
    edited January 2008
    Texas42 wrote: »
    I think he is referring to an 'online' internet coupon you can use at checkout...

yes or instore..
    Home Theater
    lsi 15's, lsi c, lsi f/x
    onkyo 805
    sunfire tga 5200
    toshiba - xa2
    panasonic bd30
    sony kdl40v2500
    svs sb12+
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one then...I was starting to think maybe I just didn't get it. I honestly hope that neither format wins - I like having both around.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    izafar wrote: »
    HD format war was indeed a key factor in all the media deals, but the war is not over even if one format wins. Remember the biggest competitor to HD format is DVD itself. If they keep selling HD media at a much greater premium then masses will not switch to HD media. I think studios will keep the prices closer to DVDs so that people shift to HD media, the incentive for them is tighter copyright control in the HD media.

That will be a complete afterthought as more and more TVs are HD. Blu-Ray or HD DVD is going to be the standard. Not a single doubt about it. So it's not a matter of trying to compete with standard definition DVD so much as it's trying to compete between eachother and waiting for standard definition DVD to succumb to it's inevitable death.

As far as copyright control, they still don't have that and I doubt they ever will. That's what they said about standard definition DVD, but ultimately they were cracked and burning DVDs has become as simple as copying VHS. HD formats will be no different over time.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2008
    paramount's decision spurred many an hd dvd sale, but this admittedly will probably be a stronger blow to the opposition. but i'm not quite so sure this will be the death of hd dvd. too many hardware owners out there to be abandoned. too much money yet to be spent. we'll see...

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Early B.
    edited January 2008

This move by Warner is not likely to improve competition among the two formats. On the contrary, Warner probably chose Blu-ray because they make more money from it. And one way to keep making money from Blu-ray is to keep the prices of Blu-ray discs as high as possible. This could potentially extend the "war."
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Early B.
    edited January 2008
    izafar wrote: »

I'm guessing that media companies will force HD onto consumers. It's easy to do -- they can release HD-DVDs a couple weeks earlier than than the standard ones. Besides, a few HD-DVD players will in all likelihood eventually be $99 regular price at Walmart and elsewhere by the end of this year.

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2008
    We are all winners in this war. Hope it continues.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited January 2008
    The benefit to an industry standard is not for all you people who want to watch movies at home. It's for us nerdy computer types working in vast, high availability computing environments where backup media density and reliability is extremely important. I want Blue-Ray to succeed. It is very much superior to HD-DVD for data storage in all ways. The home theater and movie market will just have the benefit of a standard. Besides, Blu-Ray has been in the works for over a decade now too and it has much more potential than HD-DVD in everything from the encoding algorithms to the hardware from a data storage standpoint. And if you think that the **** industry does high numbers, data storage has it all over the **** industry. My single department budgets 15,000-20,000 BLANK discs per year. This location runs through probably close to 1,000,000 blank discs for data storage a year. Corporation wide, the numbers get insane and there are thousands of other companies with similar needs investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in all kinds of optical media formats. Blu-Ray will actually save us money. HD-DVD may save us money but similar levels of support for data environments just aren't there. It may end up costing us more in the end because HD-DVD isn't as flexible.

Yeah, I want Blue-Ray to succeed because it will make my life at work that much easier.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Boo Hiss!!! I much prefer HD DVD.1.gif
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • BIZILL
    edited January 2008
    Boo Hiss!!! I much prefer HD DVD.1.gif

agreed. well, if this ends up being the final blow, then i will still spend some coin and amass a rather large hd dvd collection. at a super-discount!

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited January 2008
    Hurrah! I can live happily with just a PS3 now. End the war before super-compressed HD digital distribution kills off both formats.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    lanion wrote: »
    Hurrah! I can live happily with just a PS3 now. End the war before super-compressed HD digital distribution kills off both formats.

And it will eventually. Everything will be data over servers.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • millerman 3732
    millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
    edited January 2008
    These aren't my words just saw it over at AVS and it got me thinking.

AVS Special Member

Conspiracy Time: Did Walmart know about Warner?
    This thread is 90% unserious, but I wonder if Walmart knew about Warner going blue ray and made a deal to dump HD-DVD players before the announcement.
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
    Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
  • BIZILL
    edited January 2008
    the mods shut that down quickly!

anyway, i truely doubt it.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    Good points Jstas, and it would be nice to have a standard for your industry, but seems you guys could decide on that outside of the movie industry. If Blu Ray is better for storage, then all you IT types just need to all get together and set that as the standard...
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited January 2008
    This effing blows! I was just about to get into HD-DVD, had a player on order, picked up a few movies from Amazon's BOGO sales, now this. The only reason BluRay has been doing better is because of the PlayStation3. Sadly, the PS3 is getting crushed in the gaming war compared to X-box 360 and Wii. So what's next, Sony cancels the PS3, leaving BluRay to flounder, HD-DVD dead by that point. Really sucks. I was hoping that more studios would publish in both formats (Disney has been rumored to have been contemplating this) and when the PS3 is cancelled, then HD-DVD would just take over. But now without Warner, I think the nail is in the coffin for HD-DVD.

I'm sitting out for a while longer.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...