Tales of the Furutech Flattener

Options

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2008
    Options
    You guys must have been doing something wrong or didn't follow the directions.

Are you saying that we shouldn't have cooked the pizza in it?:D Any Rich was worried about a little cheese, wait until he sticks that "Thriller" LP in there. Michael will get what's coming to him:eek:

I think what Larry is saying Joe is the warp (or warps) wasn't entirely removed. Which is true as I have observed on a few LPs the cartridge will rise and fall a little even if the LP looks perfectly flat. I'm speculating, but I think Larry's point is they weren't perfectly flat. That's where his 90+ % statement comes from (I think). All the LPs played fine!

Carlos the Pizza King
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Are you saying that we shouldn't have cooked the pizza in it?:D Any Rich was worried about a little cheese, wait until he sticks that "Thriller" LP in there. Michael will get what's coming to him:eek:

I think what Larry is saying Joe is the warp (or warps) wasn't entirely removed. Which is true as I have observed on a few LPs the cartridge will rise and fall a little even if the LP looks perfectly flat. I'm speculating, but I think Larry's point is they weren't perfectly flat. That's where his 90+ % statement comes from (I think). All the LPs played fine!

Carlos the Pizza King

Okie Dokie.

Carl you saw that Black Sabbath LP I believe. I thought that bad boy would never become flat the warps were of so many different types.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,385
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Just a thought. Has anybody who has tried this let the LP cool down for a day or so and then take the same warped LP and reintroduce it to the Furutech?

Has it made a further improvement?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Options
    TED did this at Polkfest but I don't remember the results.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    Options
    According to the dealer the longer you can let the record cool the better. If you can wait a day between pressing then you will have the best chance for quality results.

RT1
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited January 2008
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Michael will get what's coming to him:eek:

Thriller was done in his pre-bodywork days.:D

Does that thing get warm on the outside? I can tape a bag of Cashews to the side instead of tossing them into the microwave.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I don't feel at all bad about selling Ted those warped albums now. In fact, I think I still have all the ones I pulled.

Who wants to buy some warped albums so that you can have this thing come to your house to flatten them and feel like part of the club?
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Cd's don't warp:p

Yes, CD's are great.

Perfect for listening to when you're cleaning vinyl. ;):D

That looks like quite a machine you guys have got there. Glad to hear it's working out for you.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I don't feel at all bad about selling Ted those warped albums now. In fact, I think I still have all the ones I pulled.

Who wants to buy some warped albums so that you can have this thing come to your house to flatten them and feel like part of the club?

I'll buy them George, I have a clamp that will take those warps right out!:D
  • reeltrouble1
    edited January 2008
    Options

I will take them George. Just pm me the details, what the heck, it is what we bought the thing for.

Oh yea, SC was beautiful during your impoundment in Utah, I did cut the grass, just thought you would like know.........

tedwick
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Ima just throw this out there....I talked to my father in law yesterday, he said the garage was a mess and that's not how I left it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Here's something you can make with the record if it's too warped & can't be fixed. Seems like vinyl has it's place after all!!!
    http://casasugar.com/388078
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited January 2008
    Options
    ooooops.................:o:D, rest assured nothing you care about was touched bro.

RT1
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Here's something you can make with the record if it's too warped & can't be fixed. Seems like vinyl has it's place after all!!!
    http://casasugar.com/388078

Phil, I could swear when I read the story about the genesis of the Furutech Record Flattening machines that they used your flat head as the one of the early prototypes!:D
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Phil, I could swear when I read the story about the genesis of the Furutech Record Flattening machines that they used your flat head as the one of the early prototypes!:D

Go take your flu medicine & get back to bed you sick puppy!!! :D

PS - if you don't behave I'll forget to remind Stephen about your Led Zepplin II album!! If he's out of stock I'll just get you the CD version.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Premeditated forgetting.....interesting.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Premeditated forgetting......

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • schwarcw
    edited January 2008
    Options
    That baked vinyl makes a nice salad bowl.

Did anyone ever like anything by the Kingston Trio? All those Dobie Gillis lookin' pansies.
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Yeah man, that is some good basic stuff.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2008
    Options
    The garage is where I let Ted set up shop. I'll talk to him about it.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2008
    Options
    When you do, tell him to leave that Manley Stingray and all will be forgiven.

Water bill is due on the 7th, don't forget.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited January 2008
    Options
    The Furutech Flattener saves another LP. Pictured below is my Chicago VIII LP after flattening. Post 21 showed the LP with a bad edge warp before flattening.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Nice~~! Every time I see your analog rig I get a woody.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I thought you said it generally takes about thirty minutes after HI??? Maybe you could do a commercial for Audio guys who have lost their woodies, get back in the game and all that????

RT1
  • schwarcw
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Let's get "Thriller" on the Furutech! "Beat it!"
    Carl

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,385
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Any reports as of late to a damaged LP yet?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2008
    Options
    First experience with the flattener. An Emerson Lake & Palmer record that had a couple minor warps.

Here are before/after videos. My only complaint: I wish the process didn't last so long. But it's a great gadget.

I did not use Joe's THE CLAMP to show the full extent of the warps.

SEEMS THAT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO EMBED THE VIDEOS HERE...ANYONE WANTS TO HELP ME DO IT?
    BEFORE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFp7bUqu_TU&feature=user

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hFp7bUqu_TU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hFp7bUqu_TU&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

AFTER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XA6dtYoyaM

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9XA6dtYoyaM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9XA6dtYoyaM&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2008
    Options
    That looks like a pretty significant difference to me.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Has anyone tried flattening a 45 with this thing?
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I haven't and there is nowhere in the instruction guide that says you can.