keep blowing tweeter on CS400i

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited November 2002 in Troubleshooting
have a friend who has blowing the tweeter on his CS400i twice now. he is driving it with a Onkyo TXDS989 w/130wpc. his fronts are Klipsch chorus 2 towers w/15" drivers. he has a monster power line conditioner.. so don't think it's dirty power or anything like that. he does drive his speakers hard and loud. but how much level can the cs400 handle?
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2002
    Options
    lol i dont no, but he has some good taste in towers/mains --- i heard the chorus's they kick arse
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Danger boy,
    The effeciency of the 2 different speakers is probably where the problem is.If you meter(SPL)the front 3,the polk speaker will have to be cranked up about 5 db more in order to keep up with the mains.Now it could be cranked up even more,dynamic passes ,the Klipsch will still play louder during,And if your friend drives his system close or into distortion,the center will go first as it is being driven the hardest.He really should have a matching Klipsch center.Or matching Polk mains,then this problem I believe would go away.And tell him to turn it down some would yeah....LOL,hear tomarrow as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I think he is looking at replacing the CS400i with a Klipsch RC7 center channel. he's hoping that will keep from blowing his center. Mantis your explanation makes sense. Keeping the three fronts similar in effeciency.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Cool.....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Xzuluns
    Xzuluns Posts: 8
    edited November 2002
    Options
    The Klipsches are way more robust than the Cs400I. I have a CS400I myself. Tweeters invariably blow due to a lack of clean power. Multiple speaker systems are much harder to debug than stereo systems. Sustained power requirements such as in Van Halen Rock music have blown a lot of tweeters. Although 130 wpc may be a fair amout of power in a 5.1 surround sound system it is not much in the stereo arena. I had a 170 wpc Luxman and still
    wanted more. The key is to have your system in balance as far as speakers go. The front speakers take the bulk of the load and should all be the same rating for power handling or at least closly
    matched. Your Klipsches are handling the power but the CS400I is being treated like a Volkswagen with a Ferrari engine installed. It just wasn't built to handle the power. If your Onkyo allows individual output balance to each speaker try dropping the center channel -5db or more in relation to the Klipsches. The real solution however is a more powerful AVR reciever with more clean power and speakers that match in power handling capability. If the Onkyo has a DB power level indicator for the volume control ie. -20db -10db 0db, then NEVER exceed 0DB. If this isn't loud enough for you, you'll be digging into your wallet to solve the problem.

Don't feel bad. The second time I blew the tweeters on my Polk monitors the service guy looked at me and said "So, drinking beer and listening to Van Halen again eh?"
    PolkLover