"Polk Blows"

eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited December 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Then he turns on a Kicker Comp 07C124.
So im at frys (local BIG electronic store, not really known for car audio though) doing some christmas shopping and wanted to make a run down the car audio isle. JVC head unit is on, and so are some momo 6.5 components and some 6x9s. Sub was off, i walk by press the button to turn the momo 12" on and the amp wasnt set on it. so a customer says, that a good sub, and the guy who works there says here let me turn it on, i kid u not, the guy says POLK BLOWS, and the customer says so ive heard from a few friends. i stoped walking turned around and said "are u kidding me", ha i honestly got kinda offended. i was like i have all polk in my car and i love it. he said, Its high end stuff that doesnt sound that good, and i just said, k well its really not high end stuff... its the 2nd level of the levels of gear polk carries, i guess its high end for u guys. and he said, i rather haev all kicker in my car. at that point i smiled and said what do u have in my car, and he said kicker, i was like k well when are u on break, at this point the customer is looking at me like im crazy, and the guy was like ummmmm whenever i want, and i said well k come outside and listen to my car and u tell me polk still blows. him and the customer followed me to my car, and the guy who worked there sat in the pass seat and when he heard it looked at me and smiled and said, the components sound find but those arent polk subs, and i said o really, what are they, and he said "Prob some really expensive 12s, what is that 3 12s back there?" i opened the trunk and when he saw 2 10s he nearly **** himself and said k well thats kinda impressive. he walked back in and i talked to the customer for a little bit about car stereos and stuff and he said he had never heard anything so clear before and really didnt know that a car could sound that good. he asked me how much it would cost for the same set up as me and stuff and ended up being really interested in buying the momo stuff.
but yeah it was fun to do that to someone who works at store and sells the stuff.
I wouldnt have ever done anything like this but having worked at a retail store... hearing somone bash a product they carry, especial the best stuff the store carries (and the most expensive), he deserved to look like a fool.
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    nice, did you kick his dog too while you were at it? ha ha. cool story... nice move too.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2007
    Did you get a chance to listen to his car?
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • eloplayspolo
    edited December 2007
    no, honestly he walked away with his tale between his legs, they way he said thats impressive sounded like he had just been defeated. i totaly forgot about his stereo after the customer started talking to me... but i cant imagine that it was very impressive if the guy didnt show me
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    You should have taken off your glove and slapped him twice across the face.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »

yep,, left side first, then the right ,,or maybe it's the right side,,then the left,,then just walk away;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    I'm telling you I have heard a lot of subs, and the best sounding ones I have heard were a pair of Polk 10's in a sealed box. Hard hitting, fast, tight subs. Did I mention that they were loud too. The funny thing is they were driven by a Nachamichi 220 watt mono amp.
    Polk car subs ROCK!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited December 2007
    Your pimp hand is strong...
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2007

:D:DI can always count in you to make me laugh out loud!:D:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited December 2007

It's not too late. I can send him my old crusty/rough/hard gloves that I used while working in the yard.

:eek:
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited December 2007
    Nicely Done, Eloplayspolo

Here in Mexico City is the same story, people thinks that Subs should be kicker or maybe in some ocations JL.

im glad to have now a SR124-DVC, actually when my friends on the local car audio store, saw my SR124 they were astonishing.

and in comps, they think that the best is focal, and dont get me wrong, focal is good, but here we just have the "focal access" models, and polk momos are way better than the focal access models.

In Mexico you find Polks just in SEARS, and just DB and MOMO, and just a few models, and SEARS is expensive for Car audio, its a bad thing for the polk fans, but in the other hand, i feel exclusive having polks in my car.
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited December 2007
    Polk blows! I have owned momo 8's, 6.5 full range and 6.5 components and they all blew out on me over time. Polk speakers can not stand any ruff treatment. I just sold my last momo tweeter to a guy down in texas he blew one out too. Polk momo sound good for the money just don't play them to loud or you will be looking for a tweeter.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    You will blow ANY speaker/sub if you use crappy amps. Like Pioneer.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • eloplayspolo
    edited December 2007
    the guy with FULL pioneer in his car...
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Bruizer
    Bruizer Posts: 27
    edited December 2007
    cam5860 wrote: »
    Polk blows! I have owned momo 8's, 6.5 full range and 6.5 components and they all blew out on me over time. Polk speakers can not stand any ruff treatment. I just sold my last momo tweeter to a guy down in texas he blew one out too. Polk momo sound good for the money just don't play them to loud or you will be looking for a tweeter.

Now that made me laugh. I've got polk momo 4x6s, 6x9s, 6.5 components, and 2 SR124-DVCs (just put the subs in so I'm in the break in process but have had the other stuff for over 2 1/2 yrs) and they are tough. To blow all those speakers I believe there is something else wrong.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2007
    cam5860 wrote: »

They will blow if you dont know what youre doing and run them improperly.

I have owned Momo 6x9's, 6.5's, 10's SR 6.5's and now 5.25's and Ive never had one single problem with them at all and Ive NEVER once ran them below their rated power and I have NEVER ran them thru any kind of break in period. Ive dropped them during installation, have actually smashed in the surround on one of my mids, have poked and prodded the tweeters of the SR's during installtion and have subjected them to more than a few spirited listening sessions of Dream Theater and theyre all still working as well as they did right out of the box.

And as far as sound, well there seem to be a lot of SQ judges out there that think mine sounded pretty good.

So basically if you want the loudest bass you can get so all the kids in the high school parking lot will think youre cool - Polk probably isnt for you. But me personally, Id rather just have my music sound really good so I use Polk. But Im cooky like that.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    Hey i'm not knocking polk on there sound quality cause it's good. But I'm one of these dudes that want my cake and be able to eat it too. Why not have the best of both worlds loud and good sound quality. I want something to be able to get loud but have good sound quality too. Out of all the subs Ive heard in the last few months the only one that can do both is JBL. It was the only sub that I could push to the max without it bottoming out and distorting. I listened to jl audio, mtx, polk, pioneer, JBL, sony, kenwood. And JBL won hands down for loudest and sound quality at high volume. Now these were not top of the line subs but they were all in the same price range. JL audio w1v2 subs are basically a rip off for the money. MTX new thunder line subs sound like dirt. Polk db subs have good sound quality but don't play loud without distortion. Pioneer premier subs have real good sound quality but bottom out real fast. JBL GT series subs are the best subs for the money period. You won't out perform these subs for 90 bucks. Sony explode subs sound fair for the money but nothing worth owning. And kenwood subs sound decent for the money just don't get that loud.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited December 2007
    I've run my Arc Audio 1500-XXK to my JL sub for a long time with no issues. It produced a tad under 1100 watts RMS at 2ohms bridged. I am currently feeding it 650 watts RMS. As long as you set things correctly things will last.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    JL Audio subs are good. It's just for 120 bucks for one 10 W1v2 sub. The JBL GT's will stomp it in the dirt for 30 bucks less.
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    Written by basstech , Jacksonville, Arkansas on Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:21 PM

Just got my sub in and was very impressed. I am a big fan of all jbl products and was not disappointed with this buy. I built my enclosure slightly oversized in a downfiring configuration. It has plenty of output for a sub in such a small box. Sounds more like a ten or a twelve. I bet four of these in say 1.5 cubes sealed would be awesome. Another A+ for jbl. Now how about my a3000gti? Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5

Written by Jason , North Georgia on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:31 PM

After many hours of research, I decided to go with the GTO804. I am glad I did. This is a very solid, high quality sub. I was looking for a good full sound (nothing too boomy) and this is what the doctor ordered. When I turn my amp up, this thing really thumps. But I set it back down to my liking and it still puts out a solid sound (even with the fast double bass drum riffs that I like). Unless this speaker just falls apart, I have no complaints about it... period. I just could not imagine a better sub for this price. Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5
    One of the components I used for my system
    Written by B-rad , Akron, Ohio on Friday, July 21, 2006 12:37 PM

These JBL subs ROCK! I read some reviews that said that some people have heard 6x9's that deliver as much bass as these 8" subs, all I can say is that they didn't do something right. They didn't do the homework needed before they shelled out the jack on a product, then became disappointed by the result and ran the product down on the reviews page. These 8" subs when powered correctly, (200 wats RMS each), and mounted in the correct style enclosure, (Style #1 sealed box), punch you in the chest every time they hit. Since I did my homework and figured out what end result I wanted before I bought or made anything, the system turned out better than I ever expected. I didn't want a system that was just LOUD no matter what it sounded like, I wanted a system that had a great sound and could be loud as well. I used the Crutchfield website to make my decisions on everything I bought so it all worked well together. The sealed boxes compliment the JBL GTO subs because they absolutely kick you in the chest when you crank it up. They are not muddy or distorted, just a clean crisp thump! Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5
    best 8's for small enclosures
    Written by Timothy , Indiana on Monday, July 03, 2006 1:18 PM

If you need some 8" subs that will work in very small ported boxes these are the subs to get. I was very limited on space and only had room for a .45 ft^3 and a .55 ft^3 box. I origionally had RF stage 1 woofers in the boxes and they sounded decent but didn't really get low enough. I'm pretty picky about bass. I decided to give these a try and they exceeded my expectations. It's amazing how low these things can get in such a small enclosure. These are some of the best sounding subs I've heard. I recommend porting in the 30-35 Hz range not 40 Hz like JBL recommends.
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    If anybody has any doubts in what I think a good speaker should sound like. Heres four people that feel the same way I do about what they heard.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited December 2007
    I often times do not put too much weight on the Crutchfield reviews. In my experience people often pump up the products they buy by a bit.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    It's not to often you see reviews on 8,10,12,15 of the same product with all five stars reviews. I don't think this many people are lieing about this product. At least not when Ive heard it for myself.
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    5 out of 5
    Great sub
    Written by thompsonm27 , Woodward, OK on Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:21 AM

I have three of these subs powered by an Alpine MRP-M850 amp. These speaker are great and the price is awesome. These subs take my breathe away....literally. Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5

Written by prettyboythor05 , Miami. Fl on Friday, June 22, 2007 9:23 PM

MAN THESE SUBS ARE THE BEST THING OUT THERE I HAVE 2 FO THESE JBLGTO1004D AND I HAVE THEM HITTING LIKE THEY A HIGH POWERED 15" SUB. IF ANYONE WANTS GOOD SOUND FOR A GOOD PERSON GET THESE TRUST ME U WON'T BE SORRY Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5
    Great!
    Written by Ross , Columbus, Ohio on Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:14 AM

Great Subs! Kicks hard and sound great! Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5

Written by Kathy , Nashville, TN on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 11:29 PM

This sub is great. I have had a keenwood and then i had 2 dual 12 inch speakers an this one wins hands down in loudness and clearness. This is a great buy. Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5

Written by Ryan , iowa city, ia on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:29 PM

this sub rocks. i put it in my pickup and it really kicks. i would highly recommend it to anyone that wants a great sub for hardly any money. Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5
    I couldn't be happier
    Written by Matt , Greensboro, NC on Friday, June 09, 2006 12:48 AM

hands down, the best 10in sub for the money. my setup is an Alpine CDA-9847 with a Clarion 200X1 (bridged to mono) amp powering this JBL in a .6 cubic foot sealed enlosure. This 1 JBL is louder than the 2 Polk GNX 10s I replaced and has much better sound quality. the bass response is punchy, tight, and controlled. nothing but clean, undistorted bass; even at high volume levels. If sound quality is what you are looking for and you don't want to spend upwards of 300 dollars for a sub, than this is the one for you. Was this review helpful? Yes | No
  • 1996blackmax
    edited December 2007
    Many of the people that leave reviews are not the people that I would take advice from. Many times I feel they do not have the knowledge/experience for me to put much weight on their comments.

The first and second review you posted above is what makes me kind of laugh at these "reviews".
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    I understand what your saying. But the reason I know these people are telling the truth is because I have one behind my seat right now. And all I can say about it is this bad boy is gettin it.
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    These subs could sell up there with the JL Audio W3's. That's how good they sound no lie.
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    Third times a charm
    Written by Schilly , Darrington WA on Saturday, November 03, 2007 12:49 AM

I have had two other sets of subs before these and was never satisfied with the bass but now i have finally found some subs that really bump. i put two of these in my bronco II running off a JL audio amp and it hits so hard it blurs my vision driving down the road. Also, with these subs you don't have to worry about distortion because i have ran them at max power and still heard no distortion. I have set off car alarms of cars parked on the side of the street when i drive by. Ever since i put these in my car people are always asking me to come play music at partys or whatever, even at our last homecoming dance the DJ's were so bad we went outside and everybody danced around my car. bottom line: buy two of these subs and hook them up with a powerful amp and put them in a dual ported box. It is an almost unbeatable bass combination if you want brag worthy bass. Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5
    very nice sub
    Written by cruiserdude , Edmonton, AB on Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:45 AM

i have one of these subs mounted in a custom made sealed box i designed to exactly fit in the trunk of my 1981 toyota land cruiser and this thing pounds like no other. it is the best sounding sub and i have zero complaints. this sub is being powered by a kenwood KAC 7202 amplifier which is giving it 460W RMS. now i'm not a hardcore guy looking for a competition car but when i turn the volume to three-quarters it can be heard around my block. paired with my 2 JBL GTO927 6x9's my land cruiser is the loudest land cruiser i've seen. Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5

Written by Ashton , Columbus, GA on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:31 PM

Great subs. I built 4.5 cubic foot bandpass box for two of these woofers. I paired these subs with a Sony XM-2002GTR amp. I rated 143 decibels in my car at an SPL competition. Great subs for the price. Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5
    better than i thought
    Written by rowan1 , Davie, FL on Monday, December 11, 2006 10:16 AM

These Woofers are a great buy.i had two in a custom ported enclosure and they were crazy on just 300 watts. ive always known JBL for home audio but now i am a believer in thier car audio to.buy them they will shake your car to the foundation and youll be heard from a distance. nice job JBL..... Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5
    Great Sub
    Written by Willy , Salt Lake City on Sunday, October 08, 2006 9:49 PM

for this price and this power. im very happy with it, use a Profile AP700M Amp push this sub and it run great, also im getting another amp audiobahn A12005DN, im planning to get another this sub in my car.

and this JBL is the same as the infinity one. just different look. i was looking at the infinity one and that was on sale, and now this JBL is also sale price and it is very good.. Was this review helpful? Yes | No
    5 out of 5

Written by Hollywood_JBL , Byesville, OH on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 11:16 PM

I own two of these 12 inch JBL's and for the price, they will definitly get the job done. Was this review helpful? Yes | No
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    I must admit though some of these reviews are funny as hell.
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited December 2007
    Honestly... customer reviews don't mean as much as they did to me anymore... When people are giving 5 stars to their P1 subs and audiobahn amps... that has me thinking about how much they actually know and how many products these people have actually used.

...and I can't believe that you think Polk stuff can't play loud. Is their stuff the loudest? No, they're definitely aimed more towards SQ but they will also handle any abuse you throw their way. My old 12" momo has been through a LOT. And she's still playing daily, nightly and oh so rightly in my bro's car without any problems at all. Theres a guy who used 3 (I think) momo 12's and his SPL score was above 150... so don't tell me that they can't play loud.

I used to work with a guy who apparently reviewed Home Theater stuff and told me the EXACT same thing... "polk blows". He told me he had tested one home sub and wasn't impressed... and he bases his opinion of Polk on that sub. I didn't feel the need to argue with him after he told me that he thinks Infinity makes some of the best car audio gear- Don't get me wrong, its not like I hate infinity, but by no means do I think its the best stuff you can get. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I was able to change his opinion of Polk when he sat in my car.

I think that true audio enthusiasts or audiophiles appreciate all quality products, regardless of whether or not they use them. For example, I know Focal and Seat make very good components and I recognize that fact even though I am not using their stuff. Polk is no exception. I try not to flaunt, but I am a very proud owner of a lot of Polk gear. And if I had a 2nd chance, I'd do it all over again.