2009 Corvette ZR1

Refefer
Refefer Posts: 1,280
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I love corvettes and their performance to price ratio. Now they get even better.

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?p=809677
Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
Rotel RB-980BX,
OPPO DV-970HD,
Lite Audio DAC AH,
IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
Creek Audio 5350 SE,
Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
HRT Music Streamer II
Post edited by Refefer on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    I have no traction on the street as is, I can't imagine what it would be like to drive that on the street.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
    Refefer wrote: »
    I love corvettes and their performance to price ratio.

I believe the '09 ZR1 will be 100k :eek:
  • Refefer
    edited December 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    I believe the '09 ZR1 will be 100k :eek:

Yeah... still though, I can't think of any other stock car that pumps out 620bhp for that price. Should be interesting to see how it drives.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Refefer
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    I have no traction on the street as is, I can't imagine what it would be like to drive that on the street.

19" tires in the front, 20" in the back. Talk about insane.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    Eh, looks like just another Corvette with fancy wheels and a body kit. I mean yeah, it performs but I'm not really enthralled by it. It just seems like Chevy is following suit with Ford and putting out 9 million different versions of the same car. Kinda like the Mustang.

So is it the Ford guys' turn now to tell Chevy that they couldn't make any power without a supercharger?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited December 2007
    I'm hoping to go to the Detroit Auto Show next month for work and should see it there. The pics look awesome, and I'm a die-hard Ford guy!
  • Face
    edited December 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    Eh, looks like just another Corvette with fancy wheels and a body kit. I mean yeah, it performs but I'm not really enthralled by it. It just seems like Chevy is following suit with Ford and putting out 9 million different versions of the same car. Kinda like the Mustang.

So is it the Ford guys' turn now to tell Chevy that they couldn't make any power without a supercharger?
    You can't compare the two. Each Corvette model has at least a 70 HP difference. As for the Mustang, they'd add 10 HP, remove a spoiler, add a cheap gas cap cover, and call it a different model.
    Ford had to add a blower to bring the Mustang from 300ish to 390. In this case it's from 430 to 620. Nice try.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MattN03
    edited December 2007
    You can't compare the two. Each Corvette model has at least a 70 HP difference. As for the Mustang, they'd add 10 HP, remove a spoiler, add a cheap gas cap cover, and call it a different model.
    Ford had to add a blower to bring the Mustang from 300ish to 390. In this case it's from 430 to 620. Nice try.

The Mustang is only using 4.6L (not counting Shelby's) compared to the Vette's 6.2L +Eaton supercharger in the ZR1 or 7.0L in the Z06. Not a fair comparison by any means...
  • Face
    edited December 2007
    I agree. I was comparing the HP increase percentages though.
  • MattN03
    edited December 2007
    I agree. I was comparing the HP increase percentages though.

When you're only dealing with 4.6L, it's hard to get a lot more power out of it. I have a 4.6 DOHC Mach 1 that made around 270ish HP at the wheels when stock. With minor bolt-on's, it around 320 HP at the wheels so it picked up another 50 HP. That required removing the cats, aftermarket cat-back, cold air intake, intake spacer, and a dyno tune. Do those same mods to a 6.0L+ engine, and you'll get even more power-higher percentage of HP return because it's more displacement to begin with.

Ford did about all they could with the 4.6L without resorting to forced induction due to it's limiting engine size. BTW, my little 4.6L has taken my Mach down the 1/4 mile to the tune of 12.78 @ 109 on skinny stock 245/45/17 Goodyears. Not to shabby for a few bolt-ons...:D
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    As much as I LOVE corvettes...the real bargain supercar coming up is the Nissan GT-R...just about 500 horses in a small all wheel drive chassis has been eating up the competition in real road tests. I will be mid-40's in a couple of years and that supercar itch is hitting hard right now...and after the first year price gouging ...the msrp of under 70K is looking really good..maybe second or 3rd year model for me :)

" We know you want the numbers and we're not going to waste your time. Neither is Nissan. Its 2009 GT-R hits 60 mph in 3.3 seconds, quicker than the last Dodge Viper, Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 Turbo we tested. "

This is unbelievably cool....all wheel drive plus cool electronic control...

"Controlling the Launch
    Activating the Nissan GT-R's launch control is a matter of configuring its transmission, dynamics control and damping adjustments properly. The transmission and damping switches must both be set to the R mode and the VDC must be switched off completely by holding the VDC-R button down for a few seconds. Then it's just a matter of pinning the brake with your left foot and wooding the throttle with your right, not unlike the technique used to produce a tire-shredding burnout in that '85 Camaro you drove in high school.

The result, however, is quite different. The computer holds the engine at 4,500 rpm and waits for you to lift your left foot off the brake pedal. When you do the GT-R produces the most crushing acceleration of virtually any production car in the world. Our test was conducted on a fairly low-grip surface that produced lots of rear wheelspin before the GT-R's sophisticated all-wheel-drive system engaged the front wheels and it thundered down the track. Its 3.3-second 0-60-mph run and 11.6 at 120.9 mph performance make the GT-R the quickest car we've ever tested. "
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Face
    edited December 2007
    MattN03 wrote: »
    Ford did about all they could with the 4.6L without resorting to forced induction due to it's limiting engine size. BTW, my little 4.6L has taken my Mach down the 1/4 mile to the tune of 12.78 @ 109 on skinny stock 245/45/17 Goodyears. Not to shabby for a few bolt-ons...:D
    I managed a 13.0 @ 108 stock and a 11.62 @ 114 with bolt ons with my 98 C5. ;)
  • MattN03
    edited December 2007
    I managed a 13.0 @ 108 stock and a 11.62 @ 114 with bolt ons with my 98 C5. ;)

Yep, it's amazing what less weight, wider tires, and more cubes will do for you....
  • Jstas
    edited December 2007

Ah, there it is! I knew it would come out.

I'm not going to get into the pissing contest over power and displacement and such. I really don't care. The arguments are always the same and the brand bigots will argue until their blue in the face.

One thing I gotta point out though is that I never said anything about comparing the power production of either vehicle. All I said was that Chevy is cranking out a buncha different versions of the Corvette just like Ford is cranking out a buncha different versions of the Mustang. The only thing I said about power was in reference to the Chevy Guy argument that Ford had to supercharge the mod motors to make any power and that Chevy didn't have to do that. Yet, viola! There it is! A Chevy with an LS series engine with a big honkin' supercharger on it.

Eat your crow Chevy Guys and stop crying. Ford's flagship supercar will still eat a Corvette for breakfast. I mean what do you expect when it beats up on Ferraris at recess? Then again, so will Dodge's for that matter.:eek:

Stirrin' the pot is fun! I wonder how many more cages will get rattled?

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    John, you ballbuster you :D

I look at the Mustang as a huge performance bargain 30000 for a fully loaded 300 hp car that still scares me to drive? sounds good to me.

however, on the vette side, I look at the base C6 as one of the best performance bargains you can buy new. european exotics might be faster, but not by much (and not all faster), and like 5X as much or more? cmon man. and that ZR1 should crush the exotics for 1/2 the price.

I respect any nice car, brand regardless. I always loved vettes. dad owned 2 of em (C3's)

to me, a car is more than the performance numbers. if a car is faster than mine, then god bless. as long as my car looks good, sounds good, and makes me happy, i'm thrilled.

by the way, Face, a supercharger can very well give the mustang much more than 390 hp, even at the wheels. one of the biggest selling points of the stang is how easy it is to get power out of it.

most stang owners think I am retarded for not simply getting a cold air intake and tune for my car yet. 30+hp in about a 1/2 hr worth of effort (well ...more for me since I am not the most mechanical dude on the planet.

I'm one of the very few stangs that are still stock..lol
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Really nice looking car but I just couldn't justify spending 100k on a chevy. :(

Much rather an M5 in that price range....as BMW calls it...a race car for 5(people). :D
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited December 2007
    Ford blew their chance years ago when they made the T-Bird a 4 seater. They didn't think the vette would last. Boy were they ever wrong. Ford & everyone else is still playing catchup. And they're no closer today than they were 50+yrs ago!

The "Corvette" an American icon...nothing even comes close.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
    The Saleen Mustang 302 Extreme that you can order now for 08 MY, is 600hp.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited December 2007
    Note to Ford management-BRING BACK THE 5.0!
    The 4.6 isn't cutting it.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Note to Ford management-BRING BACK THE 5.0!
    The 4.6 isn't cutting it.

Thats not going to happen. The 4.6 could be a nice motor even without the blower if they took advantage of the overhead cam design. They should have that thing redlining at 7000 rpm.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Jstas
    edited December 2007

• GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited December 2007
    I would buy one BUT only at MSRP which WILL be impossible so I will have to keep my little C6 Z06....I will just have to add a cam to keep in the game:D
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Jstas
    edited December 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    Thats not going to happen. The 4.6 could be a nice motor even without the blower if they took advantage of the overhead cam design. They should have that thing redlining at 7000 rpm.

The problem with the 4.6 is that it will rev way past 7,000 RPM but for economy and emissions reasons, they choke off the intake system so there isn't enough air to support 7,000+ RPM. Hence you don't get much past 6,000 RPM when they run out of steam. Which is why the respond so well to blowers. Blowers give the airflow needed to make the power but don't need the RPM to do it.

As for the earlier, misinformed comments made about the 390 horse Cobras, it illustrates the point well. The 03-04 Cobras were RATED at 390/390 hp/tq. However, I have seen many lay down 350-370 horses at the wheels on dynoes uncorrected. Corrected numbers put them at the 380-400 horse mark at the wheels. Rated power is break horsepower and the power the engine makes without the accessories and drivetrain to move. Your typical losses there usually amount to a 15-20% drivetrain loss. A 20 horse drop from rated power is less than a 2% drop and completely unheard of. The Cobras are making much more power than 390. Probably closer to 450-460.

The same goes for the 5.4L in both the Lightnings and the Ford GT. The Lightnings are laying down rated power, uncorrected at the wheels. They are pushing closer to 500 horses and almost 600 pound feet themselves because the driveline is much heavier than the Cobra and saps more power. The Ford GT is rated at 550 but I watched one on a dyno put down over 600 horses to the wheels. Yeah, 550 horses my **** Ford! That pig is pushing well over 700! It wouldn't have averaged 213 MPH at Nardo with only 550 horses.

The mod motors are are heavy breathers and will make disgusting power. Most modified Lightnings started out with a computer reprogram, 2lb boost pulley and a cold air intake and netted 70-90 horses on a dyno. JDM can get 70+ horses out of them with just a more aggressive air/fuel tune. They need air and to get that you either gotta boost the hell out of them or spin the hell out of them. Boosting can be done more reliably than high RPM redlines so Ford went the blower route and the aftermarket is running with it. There are supercharger upgrades for the Lightning with superchargers as large as 3.4L of displacement. That's larger than most engines in family cars and those 5.4Ls are still starving for air at the top end.

• MattN03
    edited December 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    The problem with the 4.6 is that it will rev way past 7,000 RPM but for economy and emissions reasons, they choke off the intake system so there isn't enough air to support 7,000+ RPM. Hence you don't get much past 6,000 RPM when they run out of steam. Which is why the respond so well to blowers. Blowers give the airflow needed to make the power but don't need the RPM to do it.

As for the earlier, misinformed comments made about the 390 horse Cobras, it illustrates the point well. The 03-04 Cobras were RATED at 390/390 hp/tq. However, I have seen many lay down 350-370 horses at the wheels on dynoes uncorrected. Corrected numbers put them at the 380-400 horse mark at the wheels. Rated power is break horsepower and the power the engine makes without the accessories and drivetrain to move. Your typical losses there usually amount to a 15-20% drivetrain loss. A 20 horse drop from rated power is less than a 2% drop and completely unheard of. The Cobras are making much more power than 390. Probably closer to 450-460.

The same goes for the 5.4L in both the Lightnings and the Ford GT. The Lightnings are laying down rated power, uncorrected at the wheels. They are pushing closer to 500 horses and almost 600 pound feet themselves because the driveline is much heavier than the Cobra and saps more power. The Ford GT is rated at 550 but I watched one on a dyno put down over 600 horses to the wheels. Yeah, 550 horses my **** Ford! That pig is pushing well over 700! It wouldn't have averaged 213 MPH at Nardo with only 550 horses.

The mod motors are are heavy breathers and will make disgusting power. Most modified Lightnings started out with a computer reprogram, 2lb boost pulley and a cold air intake and netted 70-90 horses on a dyno. JDM can get 70+ horses out of them with just a more aggressive air/fuel tune. They need air and to get that you either gotta boost the hell out of them or spin the hell out of them. Boosting can be done more reliably than high RPM redlines so Ford went the blower route and the aftermarket is running with it. There are supercharger upgrades for the Lightning with superchargers as large as 3.4L of displacement. That's larger than most engines in family cars and those 5.4Ls are still starving for air at the top end.

The 4 valve cars (Cobras & Mach's) love the higher RPM-especially N/A versions. I shift around 6500-6800 RPM at the track and have tapped 7000 a time or too. She loves it :)
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    The Saleen Mustang 302 Extreme that you can order now for 08 MY, is 600hp.

If it only would be nice to drive too. HP is cool but the way the Mustang is I wouldn't buy one.

For $100k I think it's mainly current Corvette owners that would be in the market for the new ZR1, it's just getting too pricey. At that price range people are looking to get more than just mere numbers.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited December 2007
    Chevy Corvette ZR-1 (0-60 3.4 sec. / .98g skidpad) - 100k

Nissan Skyline GT-R (0-60 3.3 sec. / .99g skidpad) -70k

The Vette looks great, and I've been dreaming for the ZR-1's return for over a decade now. I always had a gut feeling that the Z06 was just a transitional champ. That being said, I'll take the GT-R over the ZR1 in a heartbeat. Horsepower/Torque numbers are one thing, but actual track performance is what really matters in the upper echelon of great sportscars. And quite frankly the GT-R beats the ZR-1 in almost every subjective category. Not to mention you save 30k in the process. Both are nice cars, but imo still a no-brainer regarding performance/$.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jCydPSeXRs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jCydPSeXRs&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited December 2007
    Yes it has great power, speed, handling, and techno goodies. But damn it is ugly. Are they taking que's from Volvo design on the interior or what. The whole car looks like a bloated Mits Eclipse, with an old Skyline rear end. Sorry but with all the advances in technology in that car, you would think they would make it look good.

And not to mention, at the end of the day it's still a Nissan. Now dont get me wrong, im a Skyline fan. But in regards to one vs a ZR1, well the ZR1 gets my blood excited, the other looks like a new car for Gran Turismo.

Haha sorry not trying to be negative, just a big vette fan. :D

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited December 2007
    First off do not magazine race the cars.....A great driver will beat the crap out of any magazine posted times....Do not compare the GT-R against the new ZR-1....they are in completely different leagues.....Yes the GT-R is a very impressive car but the ZR-1 will probably destroy every single supercar out there....but we will have to wait till they land in the hands of their owners.
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    Aaharvel,

I dont think they have numbers for the ZR1 yet, those might be Z06 numbers (70k+, not 100k)

that ZR1 is going to eat that skyline alive in the top end, although that easy launch thing the skyline has is cool.....almost cheating. thats how it gets the very impressive off the line and acceleration numbers.

couple that with having a better chance of seeing Jesus than getting that skyline at msrp, dealer cost is going to be A **** on those things....might make the markup on the GT500's look like nothing.

still a firm believer in a car being more than the numbers anyway, and I'll take the feel and the styling of the vette over the skyline. it dont look bad, but it doesnt move me.

oh, and you other people stop hating on the stang. the mod motor has plenty pf power to make non lunatics happy. 8k blower installed and I'm conservativly at 450 hp to the wheels. when I need power, its there for me to tap at ANY time :D

the chicks LOVE the Mustangs
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    <object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jCydPSeXRs&rel=1&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jCydPSeXRs&rel=1&border=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

Looks like a Z to me.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10