2009 Corvette ZR1

2»

Comments

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2007
    Poee7R wrote: »
    And not to mention, at the end of the day it's still a Nissan.
    And the ZR1 is a Chevy, Viper is a Dodge, Porsche is a VW and Ferrari is a Fiat. Well, the two latter maybe exaggerated but you get the point.

For the ZR1 being in a completely different league, we'll have to see. If the GT-R is a true replacement for the Skyline GT-R, I don't see that being the case but we'll have to see once they start both shipping.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    GaryZ06 wrote: »
    First off do not magazine race the cars.....A great driver will beat the crap out of any magazine posted times...

good point, I saw an internet mag compare the GTR and Z06 saying the Z06 does 4.0 to 60 and 12.1 to the quarter. I can jump in Gary's Z06 and probably beat those times, and I kinda suck. who was driving, the editors frikkin grandmother?!?!?!
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Sami
    edited December 2007
    Magazine testing is done in certain conditions (if done correctly), individual runs are open to errors like elevation, temperature, humidity, track conditions, the track itself. Certain tracks are faster than others etc so if you run xx.xx at some track you can only compare other times ran on the same track at the same day (assuming the conditions don't change drastically).

That said, yes, sometimes the magazines do not take out all they can. The old GT-R's (R32-R34) for example require a clutch dump around 6-7k rpm for the best 1/4 mile times and the mag(s) that tested them here in the US launched them around 3-4k (based on the 3rd hand info I got).
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited December 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    good point, I saw an internet mag compare the GTR and Z06 saying the Z06 does 4.0 to 60 and 12.1 to the quarter. I can jump in Gary's Z06 and probably beat those times, and I kinda suck. who was driving, the editors frikkin grandmother?!?!?!
    Correct...The fastest 0-60 magazine time I have seen so far for the Z06 has been 3.4...For people who have never driven a C6 Z06 it is very hard to launch the car....You would call this car a Traction Limited car....The fastest bone stock 1/4 mile time is 10.9 @ 128.9 mph on stock tires....this is with a great driver and not you typical time.
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Sami
    edited December 2007
    GaryZ06 wrote: »
    The fastest bone stock 1/4 mile time is 10.9 @ 128.9 mph on stock tires....this is with a great driver and not you typical time.

If we are thinking of the same run, then it was also done with perfect track conditions, in a track that is going slightly downhill and is known to be a very fast track. Are we thinking of the same run?
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited December 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    If we are thinking of the same run, then it was also done with perfect track conditions, in a track that is going slightly downhill and is known to be a very fast track. Are we thinking of the same run?
    I don't know but there are about 3 different people on 3 different tracks that have times almost like that one.I have done probably 400+ passes down the 1/4 mile and yes track prep weather and other variables are VERY important....Remember my saying...What your car can do and what your can do with you driving it are two completely different things
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited December 2007
    And the ZR1 is a Chevy, Viper is a Dodge, Porsche is a VW and Ferrari is a Fiat. Well, the two latter maybe exaggerated but you get the point.

I think you missed my point. Dodge, Chevy, Ferrari and Porsche all have a muscle/sports car lineage. Which in my mind would help with the price tag. Where as Nissan has always been an economy/family type of car manufacturer. And yes I know Chevy and Dodge are also, but dont forget all the great muscle/sports cars they have created since the 50's. I didnt forget about the Z series, just not up to par In my opinion. Unless we're talking about the 90's 300 twin turbo's. Now those cars with just a little itty bitty bit of mod's will stop your heart when you ground the pedal. But again still not the lineage for a 70+ thousand dollar car... to me.

All in all, when I think of how I would spend 100k (if i had the 100k to spend) I wouldnt look at a Nissan vs all of the other options. Now a 640hp supercharged Vette... yes yes yes. :cool:

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Sami
    edited December 2007
    Here:

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6474298/the-general-forum/marylander-drives-stock-corvette-z06-to-10sec-1-4/index.html

"several guys ran the best ever runs as the track was like Fly Paper and the Air Conditioning was on high!(40 degrees)."

Hardly conditions that qualify for magazine testing so apples to oranges here.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited December 2007
    Ohskigod
    8k blower installed and I'm conservativly at 450 hp
    :eek:

No offence but seems like a whole hell of a lot money for not much gain. Seems bad that you have to buy a car and then dump 8 grand into just to get 450hp to the wheels. You said "conservativly." Does that meen there is more there your just not using it?

I know its apples and organges but we just built a big block chevy from carb to oil pan for $9,000 and on the chassis dyno it put down 551hp @ 5600 RPM and 751lbs of torque @3200 RPM's
  • Sami
    edited December 2007
    Poee7R wrote: »
    I think you missed my point. Dodge, Chevy, Ferrari and Porsche all have a muscle/sports car lineage. Which in my mind would help with the price tag. Where as Nissan has always been an economy/family type of car manufacturer.

Nissan has always been a performance car manufacturer, only during the late 90's it tried to be a family car manufacturer like Toyota/Honda and it failed in that game, so they went back to their roots.

The GT-R heritage dates back to 50's and it has always been involved in racing series. So I didn't miss your point as it was based on misguided information. Even on the US market Nissan brought in a few classics, surely you remember the 240Z?
  • ohskigod
    edited December 2007
    nikolas812 wrote: »
    Ohskigod
    :eek:

No offence but seems like a whole hell of a lot money for not much gain. Seems bad that you have to buy a car and then dump 8 grand into just to get 450hp to the wheels. You said "conservativly." Does that meen there is more there your just not using it?

I know its apples and organges but we just built a big block chevy from carb to oil pan for $9,000 and on the chassis dyno it put down 551hp @ 5600 RPM and 751lbs of torque @3200 RPM's

i dont know, 40k total for a car with 450 hp to the wheels? that aint TOO bad :D

thats an overestimate on price, figuring there isnt a chance in frikkin hell I'm doing it myself so I'm including install. sounds like the fact you can do stuff yourself keeps costs limited. god bless ya

I wouldn't want to go over 450 without "forged internals", but I saw a stang with about 520 to the wheels (supercharged of course) doing mid 11's. I believe he had a Kenne Belle supercharger. NICE!

I could be wrong, being a mechanically challenged guy. I'll do a cold air intake and tune myself at the most. anything after that, i'm gonna need help.

I'm still stock (new axle back exhaust, thats about it) 300 hp to the crank is plenty for me for now, but I know I;ll want more down the road. nice to know its there. whether I get better and do stuff myself if I can learn, that only time will tell. If I pay to make sure its done right, then so be it as well.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    STupidMustang.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Sami
    edited December 2007
    Is the typo on the poster intentional or just ironic?
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    A Camaro owner probably made it up. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Sami
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    A Camaro owner probably made it up. :D

LOL, that would match. I have a $90k car that does 14.6s in the 1/4 according to stats, I must be stupid too. Or just a BMW owner... ;)
  • Poee7R
    edited December 2007
    Nissan has always been a performance car manufacturer, only during the late 90's it tried to be a family car manufacturer like Toyota/Honda and it failed in that game, so they went back to their roots.

The GT-R heritage dates back to 50's and it has always been involved in racing series. So I didn't miss your point as it was based on misguided information. Even on the US market Nissan brought in a few classics, surely you remember the 240Z?

Read the rest of what I typed, I do acknowledge the Z series cars. But as i said that would be about it. But since Nissan has been around since what the 20-30's they havent atleast to my knowledge been sports car manufacturer's. Unless the old 210, 310, 410, 510, Gloria and Skyline etc are considered sports cars, which i doubt.

If i remember right the GTR's didnt start showing up til the late 60's - early 70's as an upgraded Skyline, so im not sure where the 50's came from. But i cannot say that with 100 percent certainty because I havent read about Nissan in some years.

I dont understand how you think they became an economy family car company in the 90's, thats kinda what their known for. Actually I believe with the exception of the Z's, the rest of the cars were sedan's and wagon's.

Im not here to argue their heritage, but i will stick by my original statement that I dont think they have the lineage for the price tag.

Dave
  • Sami
    edited December 2007
    If that's the case, then there really aren't anything from Chevy and Dodge either TBH. Corvette is a the only one and even that is a borderline case as it's been a hybrid of a muscle car and a sports car with a few exceptions. The 70's big block Vette's were fast on the straight line but always got destroyed by low hp Porsches when it was time to track them.

If that's your opinion and you'll stick with it, fine, but there is as much (if not more) sports heritage from Nissan than from any American manufactures IMHO. it just hasn't been as visible here in the US because after all, they are a Japanese manufacturer.

Sport cars by Nissan/PMC (that I can think of right now):

Skyline Sport BLRA-3
    R390 GT1 (actually this would be more of a supercar)
    Roadster 2000
    240z-280z

Plenty of GT cars which are IMO comparable to the american muscle cars (Mustangs, Camaros/Firebirds etc).
  • Poee7R
    edited December 2007
    Ok, so i had a long drawn out counter typed out for your last response. But I thought to myself, we aren't going to change each other's perspective on the brand so why argue it.

As I said in my first post, I am a Skyline fan. **** I would be smiling from ear to ear if I had an R34 in the driveway. Just at that price point it seems overpriced. Not saying the Vette isnt, but thats been a high ticket toy since anyone can remember.

Skyline, here in the state's. I would think in the 40 - 50k range depending on options. I dunno, you can get alot of car for 70k, I would personally be hard pressed to spend it on a Nissan. But to each their own.

I am happy that they are finally going to bring them to us and I still wanna drive one, not to mention try the launch system. Hopefully that will come to the states with it.

Dave
  • ohskigod
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    STupidMustang.jpg

can't argue the point (not that I hate ford) but paying the 15-20k dealer markup on these cars is just effing assinine, and I've always been a mustang fan.

for the 45 sticker, I feel its a pretty good deal but for 60 - 65? f*ck THAT dude!!!

base c6 vette 45000 and change, will keep up with the gt500 on the strip (or even edge it) and crush it in the turns.

again, this from a Mustang owner that love's his Stang (as it sits in the garage for the winter :mad:
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Sami
    edited December 2007
    R32 GT-R, while it was still available legally here in the States was a performance bargain. Now they are in the $50k range for a federally legal car, nearly stock form. Still worth the money if performance is all you care but not many would spend that much on a 15 year old car.
  • ohskigod
    edited December 2007
    either way, I dont need the fastest car. when I put money into my car, its to make me happy and to have the car act better to make me happy (faster and or beter handling, look nicer, et al) not to impress others. If your car is faster than mine, god bless ya. never was a big deal, since no matter how much you spend, theres always someone faster than you
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -