Automobile GPS units

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I want to buy one for my dad for Christmas, but I want to know if there's a monthly service fee involved before I do. I have heard mixed things. What's the skinny on them?
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    Not for Garmin GPS units, unless you go with one that has XM radio built in.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Not for Garmin GPS units, unless you go with one that has XM radio built in.

Cool, do you have one?
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    I have a Garmin. There are no monthly fees for GPS units (unless you have one on a Verizon phone, but definitely not the standalone units). The only thing to watch out for is maps - a lot of GPS's come with a base map that includes NOTHING - my Garmin did, it had like, the interstate system and that was it. Had to spend another 100 on the US maps.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    The Mio C220 is nice. Just ordered a Garmin nuvi 200 for my wife for x-mas.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    The only thing to watch out for is maps - a lot of GPS's come with a base map that includes NOTHING - my Garmin did, it had like, the interstate system and that was it. Had to spend another 100 on the US maps.
    If the one I just ordered has no maps I'll send it back & get the Mio.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2007
    Garmin also has unlock codes for their Streets software that syncs the software with a specific GPS unit. I have the Garmin 60csx handheld and I finally figured out that I can request another unlock code from Garmin so that I could use my $100 Garmin Streets 2008 software with one of the auto units.

Lots of our sales team have the TomTom units. The British terminology (ie take the ramp onto the motorway) takes some getting used to, but they seem to work pretty well. When they do miss an address, they usually at least have you close so you need to start looking around at streets and buildings close to you.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • blakeh
    blakeh Posts: 491
    edited December 2007
    I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 which I really, really like. There are no subscription fees because it pulls data from public (government) satellites. The only cost you may have is upgrading the map software each year, but this is totally optional (I think it's $79). All it does is add a new year's worth of road data (roads that have been built since the previous year's software).

When I bought mine last year I thought of it as a guilty pleasure, but I've come to rely on it for long trips. It's a great gift.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    I have the TomTom One 3rd Edition and love it. Comes loaded with all the maps, the software is super easy to use and it hasn't failed me yet. Not to mention they are getting cheaper and cheaper. Can be had for $125 if you look around.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited December 2007
    Probably more complicated for dad, but I like it..........is Microsoft Streets and Trips loaded onto a laptop.......Staples has the program and GPS receiver for $70 right now.........that is, if he has a laptop......lol.......

The only charges I've heard for typical use are if you have something like XM Traffic (think that's what it's called) where it is constantly keeping tabs on that type of info......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    I have the Streetpilot WITH XM; don't remember the model though. I brings the whole US/Canada map, loaded. voice directions, etc. Love it.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    Probably more complicated for dad, but I like it..........is Microsoft Streets and Trips loaded onto a laptop.......Staples has the program and GPS receiver for $70 right now.........that is, if he has a laptop......lol.......

The only charges I've heard for typical use are if you have something like XM Traffic (think that's what it's called) where it is constantly keeping tabs on that type of info......

Yeah, I think he wants to stick the thing right on his windshield and have it tell him where to go.

Good tip for me, though, since I don't have a GPS unit myself. :)
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2007
    I also have the Tomtom One 3rd edition and love it. It's very easy to use. It does not have all the bells and whistles but it serves my purposes just fine.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited December 2007
    The voice on Streets and Trips is retarded (as of the 2006 program) so i dont' really ever use that part......i just keep track of where i'm goin and watch my little car movin down the road.......

My laptop is more 'replacement desktop' than anything so the battery life is ****.......therefore i have to get a converter, then a back to dc converter off a power strip for my car chargers and radar detector, wtih the laptop pluged into the power strip..........looking at my passenger floorboard, it's amazing i haven't caught on fire.......lol....i wish i had 2 cigarette lighter outlets.....maybe i'll add another later.

Overall though, I'd rather pay the $70 for that program and have a 15-17" screen instead of on my little phone, the $2k in dash systems, or the $2-500 portable GPS's.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Glad to hear all the love for the Tom Tom 3rd Edition - I just got one for my mom for Christmas :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited December 2007
    Another Tom Tom One 3rd edition owner here. I like it alot. Came with all the maps already loaded and it was easy to use and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand.
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    Just bought the Garmin Nuvi 350
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    I got a Magellan for a friend, he loves it! Pretty cheap at Radio Shack too. Didn't have the maps problem that the Garmins do with not having anything other than streets on it.

For my personal use, I just picked up a Blackberry Pearl after my 6 year old cellphone got stolen at a bar. It came with Navigation on it as part of the Sprint plan. I've used it a couple of times with known destinations to see how good it is and I was very surprised at the accuracy and ease of use!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2007
    None of them have monthly charges. The only thing they get you for is updated map discs and they run like $175.00 each. But you don't need to update every year, more like 3 to 4 years.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • halo
    edited December 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Just bought the Garmin Nuvi 350
    :cool: Any particular reason you chose that make / model D?
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    halo wrote: »
    :cool: Any particular reason you chose that make / model D?

I need it by Saturday and it was like $600 off sticker price with 4.5/5 stars with over 1,500 ratings on Amazon (Best of 2007
    Top Seller and Best-Reviewed in 2007.). I figured it couldn't be that bad. Good info from Cnet on it, too with mostly positive reviews. :)
  • halo
    edited December 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Amazon (Best of 2007
    Top Seller and Best-Reviewed in 2007.). I figured it couldn't be that bad. Good info from Cnet on it, too with mostly positive reviews. :)
    Same reason here I bought the 200 for the wife :)
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2007
    there are charges for certain units that do the real-time traffic updates/warnings. from what i read, anyway.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    I have the garmin streetpilot 2720. works great. has never failed. says the actual street/route names and numbers. has NEVER failed me!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    I have the Magellin and I love it. I bought it for $179 dollars and have not had any issues with it.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2007
    I have the Garmin StreetPilot 2720 (replaced by the very similar 2820 last year). We are delighted with it, but I've read a lot of positive reports about TomTom and Magellan also. It's a bit overkill for most people, and costs $1,000, but has some features the others do not:

- WQVGA color TFT with automatic dimming backlight (using a light sensor similar to auto-dimming mirrors).
    - Best route planning for several destinations (useful for choosing the shortest route for business visits on the same day).
    - Memory capacity for 50 specific routes (as well as 2000 destinations).
    - Waterproof (for use on motorcyles).
    - Handy buttons for the most used shortcuts (easier than using the touch-screen, about 10 shortcuts total).
    - Back-lit remote control (handy for a passenger co-pilot (or in a RV) to avoid stretching over to the dash constantly).
    - Friction mount system for easy transfer from vehicle to vehicle.
    - Screen cover for protection when not in use or when being carried.
    - Excellent screen info layout, using "wide-screen" format, for optimum "quick glance" comprehension of directions.
    - However: much heavier than most other units: 0.93lbs.
    - No battery either (a/c adapter or 12v adapter powered only).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=164&pID=6387

This unit is preloaded with complete maps of the U.S. and Canada, but has the City Navigator DVD separately too. The only subscription necessary is if you want to subscribe to FM traffic information to avoid delays.

I highly recommend the friction mount, which can be purchased separately and is available for other models too. We are not allowed to use windshield suction mounts in California, and adhesive dash fixing can be problematic too (it could be an expensive repair when returning a leased vehicle, for example, or just ugly otherwise). The friction mount means you can easily position the unit anywhere on the dash without fiddling (it can also be molded to different shapes). It can be transfered immediately from any one vehicle to another, including rental vehicles.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8100

I have just recently ordered the Garmin Nuvi 650 from costco.com for $300 + $10 shipping as a gift, so I might have a chance to compare the two! I got another Garmin just so that I could give help if needed since I know how they work myself. Otherwise I would not have hesitated to try a TomTom or Magellan.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    I bought a Garmin Nuvi 200W last week and love it. Works great. Good price.

I recommend a widescreen version (4.3") with whatever you decide to buy.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • movtarget
    movtarget Posts: 125
    edited December 2007
    I just purchased an off-brand for my wife for Christmas. Caliber P-3600. Sells for 261.33 on Amazon with good reviews. My PC Connection rep called me and let me know they bought 900 and were selling them for $99 each (all sold out, now), but maybe some other outlet type of businesses might be selling them (like buy.com).

Surprisingly, even has voice guidance (turns, directions, standard street names such as Interstate, but doesn't voice synthesize for local street names like Hillsborough Street), along with with MP3 and photo viewing. I got lucky (so maybe I'll get lucky).

Movtarget in NC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    Garmin will send you free map updates within the first year of ownership. The real-time traffic feature is a fee based service.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    My favorite feature(Not sure if you can do this with other brands) of TomTom is that I can put voices of women on there that will talk dirty to me as they give me directions....For example, Silvia tells me:

When I go past a destination she says "Turn around as soon as possible, but not too fast"

And when I reach a destination she says "You have reached your desination, but please don't stop just yet"

among other things.

Also, I have another voice for when I'm angry that swears at me when I need directions, he will often call me things like f-head, d-head, and other things.

For that reason alone, it was clear that TomTom was the choice for me.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    I've had a personal relationship with my GPS for quite some time.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.