Led Zep-The Reunion

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,163
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Wish I could have been choosen to be there. 18,000 lucky people world wide were here is some early info. Personally, I can't even imagine what the atmosphere was like last night.

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/33075
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• heiney9
    edited December 2007
    Please add any posts that might be relevant.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2007
    They have 7 pages to a thread started yesterday at the Steve Hoffman Music Forum. There are comments from members that attended the show.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=134297&page=7
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    I heard on the local radio station that a block of dates was reserved at Giants stadium in jersey for a possible US show but I have not heard anything further. Could be a rumor that they were starting. It would be great if it was true.
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2007
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
    Awesome Rich!!! Haven't had time to hit YouTube yet.
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2007
    The SQ isn't the best on them videos, but it sure gets me tingling. If they did tour, and if I could afford the tickets, I'd love to see them in concert. For now, all I can do is drag out the old vinyl.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    I watched a different 5 minute clip over at my nephews house yesterday...they actually played very well and Plant's vocals were great :)

Now right after seeing LZ...I was shown a 5 minute clip of Van Halen...band played awesome but David's vocals were horrible...he sure lost more then a few steps in that dept
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2007
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2007
    Over 20 million people tried to get tickets to the show. They did an online auction for them and someone paid over $160,000 for two tickets. My wife and I are both HUGE LZ fans and we came to the agreement that if we were wealthy and had the dough, this would be the ONLY band we'd pay that much to see.

Everyone that I've seen interviewed said they kicked major ****.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    I managed to catch Plant & Paige twice back in '95. Was super :cool:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007
    Set list for the link impaired:

Concert set list follows
    Good Times, Bad Times
    Ramble On
    Black Dog
    In My Time of Dying
    For Your Life (first time ever played live)
    Trampled Under Foot
    Nobody's Fault but Mine
    No Quarter
    Since I've Been Loving You
    Dazed and Confused
    Stairway to Heaven
    The Song Remains the Same
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Kashmir

Encore
    Whole Lotta Love
    Rock and Roll
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    You can bet your **** this was recorded in high fidelity and coming to a DVD near you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    You can bet your **** this was recorded in high fidelity and coming to a DVD near you.

Hope so!!!! I was very surprised it wasn't broadcast in one form or another. From all the reviews it sounds like they pulled it off and played a great set. A tour would be nice, but not sure if it will materialize.

I have just been giddy with excitement all day long reading and hearing about this concert. Long time Zep fan here and I almost can;t believe they got back together. I remember the absolute sheer excitement the crowd had both in '95 and '98 for Page and Plant.

Both concerts I attended the crowd overpowered the band for the whole show. Simply an amazing show of support. I can't even imagine what it was like in that arena last night.

For me they evoke some sort of magic and the music is so powerful. Had a snow day today and I have been running thru a myriad of bootlegs including a newly released FM broadcast bootleg from 1969:

Led Zeppelin
    Paris, L'Olympia
    Recorded for the show "Musicorama", on french station Europe 1
    First broadcast : 1969.11.02.

If they tour it's time to dust off the savings account and pony up for a chance to see them.

H9

P.s. Just enjoying my little corner of the world. :)
  • dbaldus
    dbaldus Posts: 730
    edited December 2007
    Anyone hear how long they played? I see that they had a 16-song setlist, but that doesn't mean anything if they improvise solos in their songs like they did back in the day...

For the price that some people paid for the tickets, they should have had an all-day festival!

Edit: Looks like they played for just over 2 hours.

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
    Was finally able to snag an audio bootleg of the show and all I can say they F%#@ing tore the roof off the place. Big, loud, hard, and spot on. Jason Bonham is a monster and did his father proud playing his 1973 era Vista Lite kit. Page didn't miss a lick and they were tight as hell.

This is the best I've heard Robert Plant sound in a long time singing Zep. Sure the upper register is gone (has been for 20 years) but it still didn't diminish one bit. Looks like much of the YouTube footage was taken down at the band's request and that's fueling rumors of an Official DVD release. If it wasn't going to be released officially why care if clips are on YouTube?

H9

P.s. this is a raw audience recording with absolutely no doctoring and they still sound incredibly heavy. Hard to believe they are in and near their 60's (except Jason)
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
    Here's a link to an amateur photo book who took some really great shots, over 180 total. Some are blurry but he's right at the front of the stage and they have a nice raw feel to them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/WyattBrake

H9
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2007
    H9 - you had a snow day on Tuesday ;) I made it to Schaumburg and back, it must of been a localized snow storm on the north side of Rockford :rolleyes:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited December 2007
    dkg999 wrote: »
    H9 - you had a snow day on Tuesday ;) I made it to Schaumburg and back, it must of been a localized snow storm on the north side of Rockford :rolleyes:

Yeah,it missed me,too. I think it just hit that Sage Dr. area. He is up on that hill though. Waaaaaaaaay to treacherous to drive that.:D
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
    Guys, I have a caring boss who thought I should stay home. Or maybe I took a vacation day. :) and just thought it was cool to call it a "snow" day. Let's get back on topic :p;).

Zep Rules!!!!
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    Lots and Lots of speculation since the show on 12-10. JPJ finally talks about the gig. It seems there will be a band meeting some time this month to see what's next................if anything.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17954023/qa_john_paul_jones_of_led_zeppelin
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    Finally got to see some good video from the show. Most notably a video from very far away that captured the band on stage from a distance but the cool thing is it included the entire video screen behind the band with all the dazzling light show and animation as well as fast close-ups of the action on stage.

That perspective though far away really captured the entire excitement of the atmosphere, an overview if you will of the entire goings on up front. Very amateurish but cool as hell because it's so raw, unpolished and totally unstructured video presentation. The light show and video presentation was nothing short of spectacular.

There is a rumored 3 camera mix from a legendary video bootlegger making the rounds. I hope to have a full copy of that show very soon. Current video I have is only about 40 minutes most likely taken using an iPhone or other slightly more powerful cell phone device.

H9

Professional........no way, dramatic and capturing the event........absolutely!!!
  • halo
    edited January 2008
    did you find it online? got a link?

if its a hard copy I'd be interested in a copy :)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    Apparently the reason for the delay in the band meeting, etc, etc, is that Robert lost a very close friend to cancer a couple days after the show and has sort of been in mourning and out of the spotlight.

There have been so many rumors swirling and really no one officially from the band or management has even had a meeting since the reunion benefit ended to discuss what's next.

As usual the only one who seems reluctant (before the show) to do anything further has been Robert. Here is a quote from him, this quote came out of England: "Robert was surprised by the success and unbelievable positive vibes from the O2 show." And from what I understand, Jimmy will continue to "work on" getting Robert to agree to some more Zeppelin shows. So I'm adopting a "wait and see" attitude. It's not time to give up hope yet, I don't think. Just don't believe those stupid unconfirmed sources, even though we WANT to. Hopefully, there will be some real news soon.

H9
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    All this LZ talk got me curious to check them out (I admit I really never listened to them). I got a greatest hits something or other and ...I really don't like them. I wanted to because I keep hearing how awesome they are but nope. Not for me.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    All this LZ talk got me curious to check them out (I admit I really never listened to them). I got a greatest hits something or other and ...I really don't like them. I wanted to because I keep hearing how awesome they are but nope. Not for me.

I now have to put you on ignore. I can't relate to anyone who thinks Led Zep is not for them. :mad:

LOL
    Just kidding :p.

H9
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I now have to put you on ignore. I can't relate to anyone who thinks Led Zep is not for them. :mad:

Yep. Can't help it. Just don't care for them. I don't hate them but I wouldn't just sit and listen to them.I did try though.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited January 2008

I'm a big fan but they are not for everyone. They made alot of breake through in studio recording for the time with pages guitar army and kind of paved the way for "heavy metal" music. It's good heavy blues based rock.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • halo
    edited January 2008
    Keiko wrote: »
    WoW! I never met anyone that didn't like zep that listened to rock n roll. First time for anything though. To each his/her own. I grew up on zep in the early and mid 70's. It's a different vibe to what it is now but this group is hailed by many as the greatest of all.
    My wife doesn't like them either.