Led Zep-The Reunion

2»

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2008
    Someone told me today that they announced that they will be going on tour. Can anyone confirm this?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited January 2008
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    Someone told me today that they announced that they will be going on tour. Can anyone confirm this?

Haven't heard anything official yet and I wouldn't hold my breath. Robert has been quoted as saying in a very obscure way (what else is new) that he's not real keen on "starting the machine up again" and "how could they possibly recreate the emotion and magic of the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute every single night". Not saying it won't happen but if it does it's going to be on a small scale (# of shows). In my mind I never ever thought they would play together again as Led Zeppelin so anything is possible.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    Here's a great link I came across with some awesome photo's and much discussion about 4 of the 6 audio bootlegs in circulation. The setlist for each boot looks like the songs can be downloaded but the links no longer work. So don't get your hopes up of obtaining the audio from this show. Good reading however.

I do have all the sources mentioned and I'd be willing to karma some copies for those that might be interested. Show your interest here and if there's enough who want it I'll post a separate karma thread over the weekend.

http://walhallahereicome.blogspot.com/2007/12/led-zeppelin-2007-12-10-o2-arena-london_12.html
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2008
    Karma for the local boy!!!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2008
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I knew last week Page was going to have a press conference in Japan today. We/I was speculating what the purpose was. It seemed odd to me that he alone would make an announcement in Japan of all places about a world tour. I thought he might be doing press the new Mothership or TSRTS releases or perhaps to do so press for his new Gibson "Black Beauty" signature guitar which was just launched.

It's no secret he's wanted to reform many times and it's always Robert Plant that is the hold out. I will say they need to do it now if they ever intend to do it. The light show, screen projections and all business attitude of the 02 show led med to believe they were setting things in motion for some sort of tour.

An excellent HD dvd bootleg of the concert has been making the rounds which I just got and the light show and rear projection images on the big screen were breath taking and extremely well done and professional.....too much so for a one off gig.

They had 16 camera's filming and Dick Curruthers, who did all the mastering work for the Official Live DVD, was on hand and running the entire film crew. So expect a DVD release too.

The following is an interview with Robert Plant on Friday Jan.25th at MSG taking in a Knicks game. Read between the lines :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R3tMKDcMScI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R3tMKDcMScI&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited January 2008
    Good interview, but funny how it seemed like the interviewer had never heard "Cashmere" & had never heard of Physical Graffiti!

She's too young / he's too old?
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    Good interview, but funny how it seemed like the interviewer had never heard "Cashmere" & had never heard of Physical Graffiti!

She's too young / he's too old?

Yep, she had no clue. BTW, it's Kashmir. Not making fun just pointing it out.
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited January 2008
    How interesting to see this thread. I just pulled out my set of almost mint Led Zeppelin albums two nights ago to look at them!

Now if I could just get a good turntable ... they sound much better when played on a turntable, versus just staring at the grooves.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
  • heiney9
    edited February 2008
    Another interesting article. The following link is to a full color on-line magazine called "Audio Media". It's basically an industry magazine for recording engineers and sound professionals. Starting on pp. 64 the crew behind the mixing console chime in about the 02 concert and all the hype surrounding it and anticipation, and challenges mixing the concert, etc. Not overly technical at all and a nice, different perspective compared to the main stream media. Enjoy, highly recommended reading.

http://mag1.olivesoftware.com/activemagazine/welcome/AMM/AMM-2008-01.asp

H9
  • heiney9
    edited February 2008
    This is from a listserv I've belonged to for a long time. It's certainly speculation, but it makes sense and the person I got it from is reliable.

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:09:10 -0500 (EST)

What I've heard from a Hoffman forum source privately
    is that with Plant tied up with the Krauss project
    until the fall, Jimmy plans to push a complete
    remastering of the LZ catalog and even 5.1 hires
    releases. Along with an O2 DVD, it'll be a good
    project to keep him focused on things Zeppelin. This
    seems to line up with Page's Japan statement and also
    what John Davis (Mothership mastering engineer) wrote
    in the forum about hoping to remaster the catalog
    properly this year because he felt Mothership was
    under time constraints (I suspect this was from the
    record company as JPJ said in an interview that it was
    pressuring them for a new compilation).

As for hires, well it's hard to say. Some claim DVD-A
    and SACD are dead formats, but new material continues
    to be issued (of course the whole vinyl market is
    going through the roof, but that's 2 channel only).
    With Blu-ray seeming to be emerging as the winner of
    the HD format wars, that might have some potential as
    some are touting it as the future of hires audio.
    Still, it's a niche market.

I honestly just wish they'd do what Abkco did with the
    pre-Atlantic Stones catalog in 2002. They went in and
    found the absolute best copies of all the masters
    (more difficult to do with the Stones since they were
    all over the place) and made DSD copies of everything
    (in a couple of cases they had to use PCM). The
    resulting copies have been used as the source of
    stunning SACDs, vinyl and regular CD releases ever
    since. In some cases, there are audiophiles who say
    these sound better than even the best original UK
    pressings. Of course these were only 2-channel stereo
    but to my ears they're a perfect example of how to
    remaster a classic rock catalog without bowing to the
    pressure to compress the sound to make them louder and
    compete with the latest releases from current acts.

A lot of it will depend as well on the record
    companies. I read a couple of industry forums on a
    regular basis and believe me, as a music fan, it's
    alarming to see how the entire music industry is
    seemingly on the verge of collapse. Of course illegal
    downloading is getting the blame, but I think that's
    only part of the equation. CD sales are WAY down.
    There's some very good music out there but it's not
    being promoted, it's not being played. This morning
    for example I was reading an industry forum called the
    Velvet Rope and people there were commenting on how
    good and catchy Gone, Gone, Gone is. They can't
    understand why radio is not playing it. The forum is
    full of stories about how record company head offices
    are like ghost towns and the remaining staff into all
    kinds of survival office politics battles, etc. It's
    not a pretty site!

This desperation from the industry might actually push
    for more Led Zeppelin product. It's hard to say.
    Anyway, time to get back to work.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited February 2008
    It's my understanding the release was delayed as well as copies of the regular DVD were pulled because the bonus footage included had some licensing issues.

Included as bonus material is a 1976 Cameron Crowe interview and in part of a segment the Kinks song You Really Got Me is playing in the background. This was not credited as well as no royalties were paid to the Davies brothers so they filed suit to have it pulled. It was an oversight on Warner's part and the snip is hardly "royalty worthy".

http://tinyurl.com/2mrr58

H9
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited February 2008
    FWIW-- I saw Led Zeppelin live in Chicago back in the late 60's when they played backup to Jethro Tull. When Zep was done with their set they were encored with no reply. Tull was booed softly when they took the stage but only as long as a few hot licks.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • heiney9
    edited February 2008
    That was par for the course back then. Same thing happened at the Fillmore when they opened for Vanilla Fudge. After that, Vanilla Fudge never had Zep open for them again. It was a friendly rivalry, as Carmine Appice and Bonzo were good friends. Bonzo once referred to Jethro Tull as Jethro Dull and wanted to know who the f**K plays a flute on stage. LOL

H9
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited February 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    It's my understanding the release was delayed as well as copies of the regular DVD were pulled because the bonus footage included had some licensing issues.

Included as bonus material is a 1976 Cameron Crowe interview and in part of a segment the Kinks song You Really Got Me is playing in the background. This was not credited as well as no royalties were paid to the Davies brothers so they filed suit to have it pulled. It was an oversight on Warner's part and the snip is hardly "royalty worthy".

http://tinyurl.com/2mrr58

H9

Really??? I got my cousin a copy of that on BR for Christmas the day it initially came out (something like the week before Christmas?) Too bad its not "royalty worthy", he might have gotten a valuable present :)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • heiney9
    edited February 2008
    As it says in the article a few BR copies slipped thru.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    Uncut magazine is a UK publication and someone was kind enough to scan the pages of recent interviews with the surviving 3 members. Finally some talk from the band about the 02 concert.

Enjoy-and grab while you can, not sure how the long the link will be avail.

http://www.oldbuckeye.com/zep_uncut

H9
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    Just read the whole article. If you are a Zep fan read this article. Very honest and indepth. One of the better interviews I've read in a long time.