female advice

pmckeealaska
pmckeealaska Posts: 808
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok,

So I figured I'd write me esteemed Polk Heads with decidedly non audio advice. I went to a party Friday night and an amazing woman who also happens to work in my field (biologist). She initiated the conversation and there was some good sparring between the two of us. I really think there was a connection there, but i have been so out of the dating scene for so long I forgot how it works sometimes. Anyway, I went off to get another beer after she started talking to another woman at the party. As she was getting ready to leave, I could see her checking me out, so I went up to her and made a point of telling her how much I'd enjoyed meeting her. Again, there seemed to be something there.

So I found out through a friend that he works with her and so I know her work email. My question is this: Is it innappropriate to email her at work and pursue this, or should I try another avenue. What do the women on the forum think? Dont want this one to get away!
Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
LSi25 Front Speakers
LSiC Center Channel
LSiFX Surrounds
Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
NAD T763 Reciever
Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
Playstation 3 120GB Slim
Post edited by pmckeealaska on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    i'm not a women, but good advice can come from another dude too.. go after her. what are you waiting for? If you email her at work, just be discreet and maybe ask her out to dinner, or a movie. Cliche' I know, but dinner's out work great for getting to know someone.

we humans spend way to much time persuing compatible mates... and not enough time actually getting to know them.

go for it, as you said, you felt some spark there... and it appears that she showed more than just a passing interest in you. you're an adult, be an adult about it and not a 13 yr old boy with a crush on a cute girl.

good luck.. i'm rootin' for ya. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
    Do not email her. Have your friend drop a hint, "So, I heard you met one of my friends at a party, he thinks you're pretty cool...." Then see what her reaction is.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    Completely unqualified advice, but maybe try to get a outside of work email from her to continue correspondence...
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2007
    You should have asked her for contact info at the party - I wouldn't go the through the backdoor by emailing her since (to me at least) that almost looks like you're sneaking/stalking up on her.

Michael
    (Not even female, but married for 20 years so I know what those fickle creatures are like... goofy ;))
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Do not email her. Have your friend drop a hint, "So, I heard you met one of my friends at a party, he thinks you're pretty cool...." Then see what her reaction is.

Agreed, because you got her email from your friend and not her she might find it a bit intrusive. Have your friend drop a hint and maybe add "he went looking for you to get your phone number but you were already gone" or something like that.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2007
    +1 on this response. :D
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited December 2007
    Don't ask her out by e-mail. This happens to women I work with, and it seems to annoy them. Also makes it even easier to say "NO".
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2007
    One word of caution ......... company emails are company property. Do her a favor and have your friend ask is she would like you to have her outside work contact information. I've dealt with some "back to jr high" episodes here at work that were related to this subject, not fun!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • danger boy
    edited December 2007
    that's why you gotta be discreet about it.. i would never condone a continuing romance via company email. that's just wrong. but mention that you enjoyed meeting her at the party. and were hoping to get her phone number so you could keep in touch. then move your emails to a non company account. or better yet, call each other or meet in person over tapas !! ;)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    Stay away. Stay far away. Women are all evil. Even my mother is under suspicion:D
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007

This.
  • Samantha31
    Samantha31 Posts: 30
    edited December 2007
    i would never want to see that type of thing in my inbox. As others have said, get your friend to drop a few hints. Take it slow...and on that first date do not talk about you...talk about her :p

Sammi

Sharp Aquos 1080P 46D64U LCD :D
    Yamaha HTR 6030 AVR
    Toshiba HD-DVD A30
    Sharp - Blu-Ray
    Polk RM6750 5.1 HTS
    HD-PVR Satellite Receiver
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited December 2007
    Send her a picture of your Junk! Women like that. ;)
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    ninerbj wrote: »
    Send her a picture of your Junk! Women like that. ;)

I'm willing to be she doesn't want to see his audio equipment.....

KIDDING.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2007
    Have your friend pass her a note with two check boxes... :p
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    I would ask your friend to talk to her and tell that you found out that he and her work together and were interested in taking her out. Give him your name and phone number and get him to let her know you are interested. If she is, she'll call.

But yeah, emailing her through work, out of the blue is stalker-ish and qualifies as sexual harassment. She may have seemed in to you but you don't know 100% for sure so it's a risk you're gonna take. But if you are going to go and send her an email, that may turn her off completely and she'll go to the "principals office" on you and no date is worth your livelihood.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited December 2007
    Boy, sounds good, but damned if I know how to proceed.
    Send a candygram and ask your friend to look in on her.
    If it was well received, he can just act surprized and say
    "hey, I know that guy!" And see if she takes the bait.
    I'm sure he could drop your cellphone number if it goes well.
    If not, at least you wouldn't have to get shot down directly.
    And hope your friend doen't use the opening for his move.

I haven't been on the singles circuit in many decades.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    Don't pursue it. If she's interested, she'll figure out a way for you two to get together. Just make sure your friend makes casual contact and mentions you so that she has a pathway available.

Once a woman gets her mind set on a guy, its just a matter of time before he falls.

Trust the process and, give up any illusion of control that you may hold.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    1. Definitely NO on the email thing.
    2. Definitely YES on the "have a friend CASUALLY mention that you saw
    her at a party and that he thinks you might be interested".

This gives her an easy out, or an easy in.
    Win/Win.

"Oh, is that the guy that was dunking his biscuits in the punch bowl and asking the ladies if they wanted to bob for apples ?"

If she remembers that, you're in like Flynn.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    Based on my numerous years of working in a stripclub....ahh nevermind.

John
    No excuses!
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited December 2007
    Wow! All the responses. Well, my friend seems hesitant to tell her of my interest for some reason, or at least it's not a priority for him right now. He's happily married at any rate. I agree the whole email thing is a bad idea, but I do have her phone number at work. How about that? That way, there is no email trail associated with work and I'm using my own personal cell phone line to initiate contact.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2007
    Remember, the key to dating women at work without the worry of an EO complaint:

- Be attractive
    - Be handsome
    - Don't be unattractive
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • LordSpeakaMinch
    LordSpeakaMinch Posts: 21
    edited December 2007
    Just call her up and:

1. Remind her of your conversation at the party. If she remembers you and acts receptive, then proceed with:

2. Casually mention that you told your friend that you met an interesting lady at the party, but she left before you could get her number. Turns out your friend was able to provide a work number. If she acts appreciative of your attention, then proceed with:

3. Tell her you would like to meet for lunch one day this week (i.e., "I would like to meet you for lunch one day this week." as opposed to "would you like to meet me for lunch?"). I trust you know what to do from here.

The entire conversation should take no more than 5 minutes. Good luck.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2007
    My vote for giving her a call and asking her to join you for lunch then perhaps dinner if that all goes well. And as Sammi mentioned, talk about her not so much about you. Women gripe when its all about I..... as in I do this, I own that, I blah blah blah. As guys we love it, however they dont.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • auto_pilot
    auto_pilot Posts: 256
    edited December 2007
    I say email, call her, send her smoke signals...etc.

If you feel a connection...then run with it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Worst that could happen is she says NO.

If you are a guy...then rejection is part of the territory.
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner
  • danger boy
    edited December 2007
    Wow! All the responses. Well, my friend seems hesitant to tell her of my interest for some reason, or at least it's not a priority for him right now. He's happily married at any rate. I agree the whole email thing is a bad idea, but I do have her phone number at work. How about that? That way, there is no email trail associated with work and I'm using my own personal cell phone line to initiate contact.

see if she has a MYSpace web page. and contact her that way.. it's away from work. and she might find it cute that you found her that way. worth a try..

if not.. just go up and punch her in the arm.. the way 12 yr old's do. :p
  • danger boy
    edited December 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Remember, the key to dating women at work without the worry of an EO complaint:

- Be attractive
    - Be handsome
    - Don't be unattractive

don't be a dick! ;)
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2007
    Seriously though--women like to be persued..to a point. Don't listen to any of these "new generation" pussies who say (insert whiney voice) "but I want her to come to me" ...sheesh, good luck with that scooter. Reach down, grab hold of your stones and be a man, ask the girl out; that's what men do. Rejection? Who cares...nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My wife & I were good friends for 5 years before we ever dated. I saw my opportunity, and I grabbed it--she loved me almost instaneously--because I'm cool like that. No seriously...she really did. Anywho, Bev did this whole (insert chick voice) "but I don't want our friendship to be jepordized" thing....I said, "look here woman, first of all, lets keep it down to 1 syllable on the words...next, you've got us dating, engaged, married, and divorced all in 5 minutes...lets just take it easy, one step at a time, and be honest with how feel about each other."

She bought it, hook, line, & sinker, and later that night I got lucky.

Any more questions?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Steve,

You totally just called someone "Scooter".

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that is funny. :D

The rest of the story is funny as well. Nice post :)
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2007
    hey man, just doin' what I can to help a brother out.