Who is right? Who is wrong?

2»

Comments

• thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited December 2007
    is this a trick question like the use is math exams.

q. you have 4 apples ure friend takes 3 what do u have left.
    a. one apple and one less friend
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    If you want to keep your friend, let him get & pay for his own cell phone & usage. He is a friend, NOT FAMILY!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    thejck wrote: »
    ps. if he doe not use a lot of minutes then he can get one of those prepaid phones. and the 10 dollars that is extra for the phone doesnt give you any extra minutes so he is using ure family minutes and u are right to charge him tht extra bit

Good point. My tracfone costs $7.50 a month when I buy a 1 year service plan. Not too bad since I don't talk on it much.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2007
    I have a T-Mobile pay as you go phone. I paid for the phone & bought 1100 minutes for the year. I paid 10.00 to renew it this year & I still have over 1000 minutes on it! If I ever ran out of minutes I would simply buy more.

No bills, no fuss. They leave me alone & I leave them alone except for 1 time a year when I have to remember to go in to renew.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2007
    The guy's obviously trying to play you - drop any more phone discussion with this clown.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    ... I paid for the phone & bought 1100 minutes for the year. I paid 10.00 to renew it this year & I still have over 1000 minutes on it! ...
    That's impressive (we know where the money you save on a cell phone plan goes!), how do you manage to keep so many minutes stacked up?! Your annual cost is lower than some people's monthly cost, and certainly lower than most peoples bi-monthly cost.
    Alea jacta est!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Kex wrote: »
    That's impressive (we know where the money you save on a cell phone plan goes!), how do you manage to keep so many minutes stacked up?! Your annual cost is lower than some people's monthly cost, and certainly lower than most peoples bi-monthly cost.

She lives a very sheltered....nevermind.....:p

There is something she isn't telling us, either:

A. She makes 32948329 phone calls from her work phone at her bosses expense

or

B. Her landline bill is upwards of $300 a month

Am I close? ;)
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited December 2007
    Polk user wrote: »
    " Friend says thats nuts "

And you respond--- "what else do you expect to feel in my pockets ?"
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited December 2007
    think of it as 'risk vs reward'.

You're assuming the risk even if said friend didn't balk at the figure. Reward will be more hoops to go through, then the flaming hoop will appear...a "friend wouldn't ask because he should think about you and you're family.
    An opportunist would ask, and a dumb opportunist balks at an amount when the hidden intention is using you.

I'd get ground rules laid right now and watch this one like a hawk :cool:
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited December 2007
    Never give someone the ability to cost you thousands when they can't even help themselves. Do you have credit cards, or a mortgage, with an escalation clause?

Average Joe carries 10000$ in credit debt, and he's got good credit, so he's paying 9.9%, and no annual fees. He obtains credit/phone for a friend right around the holidays, and that friend summarily runs up the bill, and it goes to collection after only 30 days. Average Joe's credit cards company sees this collection as they monitor his report, and decide good ole Joe must be on a bender. They spin a roulette wheel that lands on red, and decide to escalate Joe's rate to 32% on each of his 5 cards instead of demanding the whole 10K in full. The monthly payments go from 83$ a month to 266$ a month, and this is just the minimum payment without penalties, and you are accruing more in principle. Joe has his mortgage with Countrywide, and they are skittish as hell with all the foreclosures, and just have happened upon Joe's credit review showing 5 revolving accounts that have escalated because of collection account that was recently reported. . .

This is extreme, but if you run into your own bad luck, your friends imposition can be the straw that pushed you into a more difficult situation. NO way! People with bad credit pay much more to live than people with a good credit history by being denied preferable financial products. A full point on a mortgage costs you tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars more in the end. Tell him you want 100K as a deposit.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Good point. My tracfone costs $7.50 a month when I buy a 1 year service plan. Not too bad since I don't talk on it much.
    madmax

Drug dealers use those alot.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2007
    :D Not even slightly Mark!

I simply don't use it. I only got one a few years ago so that my Mom would always be able to reach me. Only a few people have the number. If someone needs to talk to me, they can call me at work, or at home. It stays in my bag turned off until I need it.

It is very convenient to have, but there is absolutely NO reason to live on it. Nothing is more annoying to me than listening to someones stupid 'private' conversation that they decide to share with everyone else within hearing distance!:rolleyes:

My phone/dsl/longdistance bill from Verizon runs around $95.00 a month.

She lives a very sheltered....nevermind.....:p

There is something she isn't telling us, either:

A. She makes 32948329 phone calls from her work phone at her bosses expense

or

B. Her landline bill is upwards of $300 a month

Am I close? ;)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    :D Not even slightly Mark!

I simply don't use it. I only got one a few years ago so that my Mom would always be able to reach me. Only a few people have the number. If someone needs to talk to me, they can call me at work, or at home. It stays in my bag turned off until I need it.

It is very convenient to have, but there is absolutely NO reason to live on it. Nothing is more annoying to me than listening to someones stupid 'private' conversation that they decide to share with everyone else within hearing distance!:rolleyes:

You must love nextels then..... :p

*beep* *beep*
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    There's nothing like a phone built on a damn near extinct network of Motorola dinosaurs. A telecom guy might get that joke and I'm a nerd.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    iDen network? it's a pain in the **** because the repeaters(i think that's what they are called) don't repeat that signal through our subway system so i always lose service when riding the train :(
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    I d n't u der stan wh t you me n. Pl ase cl rify. Los ng sig l?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    iDen network? it's a pain in the **** because the repeaters(i think that's what they are called) don't repeat that signal through our subway system so i always lose service when riding the train :(

Oh thank God. Being on the T is miserable enough, I can't imagine how bad it would be if everyone was talking on their cell phones. 90% of them in Spanish, Portuguese, or some Asian language.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2007
    :eek::eek::D:D Now THIS is a statement that is a perfect example of being politically incorrect!! It is also unfortunately a very TRUE statement!:eek::D
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :D:D:D

bobman1235 wrote: »
    Oh thank God. Being on the T is miserable enough, I can't imagine how bad it would be if everyone was talking on their cell phones. 90% of them in Spanish, Portuguese, or some Asian language.
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited December 2007
    Kex wrote: »

I just bought one of these T-Mobile To Go prepaid phones for my mother for Christmas. She didn't want to deal with a monthly contract, yet I wanted her to have a cell phone for emergencies/travel.

If you buy one of the phones from the T-Mobile web site (I got her the Motorola V195: $129.99 list - $90.00 instant discount = $39.99) right now, they come with a bonus $25 refill card.

The cost per minute depends on which refill card you purchase. The higher the face value of the card, the lower the cost per minute. A $100 card contains 1,000 minutes = $0.10 per minute. Not a bad cost.

You normally have to put money into the phone every 90 days to keep minutes from expiring, *BUT* if you buy a $100 refill card just once, that puts you in T-Mobile's "Gold Rewards" program. From that point on, (1) you get an extra 15% on any refill card you put into the phone, and (2) all minutes have an expiration period of 1 year instead of 90 days, and minutes roll over as long as you refill *ANY AMOUNT* within one year. Thus, rather than dear old mum having to put money into the phone every 90 days, she now has to spend a minimum of $10 per year to keep all of the existing minutes.

I bought a $100 refill card on eBay from user "callingmart" (99.9% feedback, over 1500 feedback) for $92.99. I was emailed the PIN number for the card within 24 hours, no problem. Plus, I used eBay's 20% off holiday coupon, so the net cost was $74 for the $100 card.

The important thing is to use the $100 card before you redeem the $25 card that comes with the phone, so you get the 15% extra on the $25 card.

When all is said and done, I paid about $120 for a prepaid phone that has 1,167 minutes of air time that won't expire for a year.

Such a deal.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Drug dealers use those alot.

Thats because they are available for purchase at drug stores. :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2007
    Thanks PSDA! I never really looked into the details of how it worked. I just know I have a phone when I need one!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2007
    polksda wrote: »
    I just bought one of these T-Mobile To Go prepaid phones for my mother for Christmas. ...
    When all is said and done, I paid about $120 for a prepaid phone that has 1,167 minutes of air time that won't expire for a year.

Such a deal.
    Exactly how I was going to do it when I looked into this, but in the end, T-Mobile upgraded our existing $50 monthly 2 phone family plan to 1,000 minutes for the same price, so we stuck with them (we also have coverage in the mountains where Verizon is the only other choice that works ... and our coverage is actually better).

The interesting thing about coverage is that when I checked mountain coverage on T-Mobile, they have coverage exactly where the map shows it, and weaker coverage exactly where the map shows it. The Verizon map shows them having full five bar coverage everywhere up there (Winter Park, CO), even when they are ten miles out of range in reality.
    Alea jacta est!