Who is right? Who is wrong?

Polk user
Polk user Posts: 311
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
You have 5 cell phones on your family plan and lets say it costs $100 a month. A close friend says "can you get a 6th fone on your plan for me and I'll pay the 10 monthly fee. I dont use many minutes"

You say "now there are 6 phones @ $110 a month so the fee for the 6th fone is really $18. " Friend says thats nuts, you say its fair.

Who is wrong?
Post edited by Polk user on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    Don't ever commit to handling a "friends" cell phone bill or fee. Tell him to stop messing up his credit and buy a Go Phone or Virgin Mobile. Pay as you go, is the way to go for deadbeats.

You are setting yourself up for a future nightmare on Judge Judy.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    yeah, I'd bail on that arrangement. That can only go one way... downhill
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,442
    edited December 2007
    I'd say you're right, it's $18.00. However, I agree with the other comments, DON'T DO IT!!! Look at the problem you're having already.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    Run Forrest, run.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    Doro, Jesse and Tom are right, eff this guy, there is a reason he cant get a cell phone, and bill paying and honesty ain't those reasons
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2007
    If he has a problem of agreeing that $18 is fair, then definitely not a go.
  • acsubie
    acsubie Posts: 773
    edited December 2007
    how good of a friend is he? why cant he get his own plan, keep the family plan for family members only IMO
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited December 2007
    No,no,no,no,no...........................
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited December 2007
    Get a new friend.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Oh, cookie cookie cookie starts with C.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited December 2007
    No don't do it. What happens if there is a phone call nobody wants to fess up to?
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited December 2007
    Anybody that would complain about $18 a month for a cell phone has serious issues.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    In case you haven't already learned, your friend is a schmuck. He's the kind of dude you see getting sued on Judge Mathis.

I'd tell him, "I've got a $10 a month cell phone for you .... in my pants !".
    Sal Palooza
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    your friend is a bozo.. release the kraken on his **** and tell him to get his own damn cell phone like an adult.. not mooch off your plan. where do you get 5 cell phones for $100 anyways? I have a shared plan with only two phones.. and it's nearly $100 just for two. you got a good deal going.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited December 2007
    don't do it...it's a no brainer.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

Oh, cookie cookie cookie starts with C.

undoubtedly.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited December 2007
    Polk user wrote: »
    You have 5 cell phones on your family plan and lets say it costs $100 a month. A close friend says "can you get a 6th fone on your plan for me and I'll pay the 10 monthly fee. I dont use many minutes"

You say "now there are 6 phones @ $110 a month so the fee for the 6th fone is really $18. " Friend says thats nuts, you say its fair.

Who is wrong?

You have to ask...who is wrong??? You are for even considering this crazy agreement. And your friend is dead on, "You are NUTS"

Run!!!!! don't walk away from this one!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Don't do it, friend did something similiar except it was with a credit card. He ended up having to sue to recover his money(he won).

There is a reason why they have prepaid phones...
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    Tell him to take a flying leap. Stay away, this will end in big problems.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Polk user wrote: »

Who is wrong?

This question makes me angry. You should say "you're right friend, know what's fair? You pay the whole $110 or get your own damn phone." Then give him a purple nurple.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited December 2007
    Your friend is right, you should be focusing on marginal costs not average costs.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    Dont do it man, I fell into that trap with someone and he ran up a 400 dollar bill. It took me months to get the money from him.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    Dave,

wondering when you were gonna chime in...LOL
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited December 2007
    Like everyone else, don't do it. The only person I would share a bill with is my wife.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited December 2007
    i say u have the right to set the price at whatever u want. if he cant agree to it then too bad for him. dont get ure hand in this one. Dont know how good of a friend he is. but if he is going to complain about 8 bucks now imagine what can happen later.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited December 2007
    ps. if he doe not use a lot of minutes then he can get one of those prepaid phones. and the 10 dollars that is extra for the phone doesnt give you any extra minutes so he is using ure family minutes and u are right to charge him tht extra bit
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2007
    I question why a "close friend" would put you in that position to begin with...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Willow wrote: »
    Like everyone else, don't do it. The only person I would share a bill with is my wife.

From what I hear even that can be dangerous.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2007
    If the guy can't figure out that each line is actually costing you $20 now, and that each of the intended six lines would therefore cost 18.33 (there are taxes and regulatory fees etc.), and he's going to nickel and dime you on that, then you cannot put yourself in a situation where he could affect your credit rating if you don't pay up for anything he does (including international call charges, toll call charges, directory services ... for which he'll probably deny he made the call).

Do not even consider such a relationship with a guy like this. He should have offered to round it up to $20 to repay you for the favor.

T-Mobile To Go currently has phones for $40 that include $25 of prepaid calls = $15 for the phone. If he buys a $100 refill, he'll get 1,000 minutes valid for one year so he'll only pay $0.10 a minute for calls. The monthly charge will depend entirely on him: if he wants $10 a month, he can use 100 minutes, if he wants $18 a month, he can use 180 minutes. If he really doesn't use any minutes like he says, then he'll have the cheapest national long distance service on the planet.
    Alea jacta est!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    I'm guessing that this guy will use your cell-phone-plan to dial 1-900-sex-talk. Then, it really won't matter whether he has paid you $10 or $20... because your bill will have an extra $400 of expense.