Tires?

2»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    halo wrote: »
    Could have something to do with all the burnouts you were doing ;)

No way, truck came with 295/45-ZR18 Goodyear Eagle GS F1's on it stock and I wasted the first set in the first year 'cause I was busy having fun! But the second set I had was babied. I didn't do a single burnout because the first set I replaced was only about $138 a piece. The second time they went up to $178. Now they are an average of $268 a piece. I've had the truck for 6 years and gone through 4 sets of Goodyears and I only use the Goodyears from about the end of March to the beginning of December. I haven't used my last set since this time last year because they cost so much and don't last. I've been rolling on Kumho Ecsta STX in a 255/65-VR16's instead and they do great year round and I've been on this set for two winters and all of this year. They have a 30,000 mile treadwear warranty and it looks like they are going to pass it.

Trust me, with the Goodyears costing $268 a piece, at 4 tires, that's $1072, they get driven like Miss Daisy. At a 30,000 mile treadwear warranty, that's like $.27 cents a mile. Yeah, then don't go up in smoke at all. The Kumhos cost me between 75-95 bucks a pop. I don't really care if they go up in smoke.

But I had Goodyears on my Ranger and they never lasted their rated warranty. My dad had Goodyears on every truck and none ever lasted. Most had 45,000 mile warranties and he was lucky to get half that. My Thunderbird had Goodyears when I got it and they lasted 11,000 miles on a 60,000 mile tire. I switched to Michelins for winter work and BFGoodrichs for summer work and I had that car for 4 years and bought tires for it once after I ditched the Goodyears.

I know people that swear by Goodyears. They are good tires I suppose but my personal experience tells me to stay away. However, since the truck takes a stock size of 295/45-ZR18, the Goodyears, even at $260+ a tire, are still the cheapest tire.

Heh, I used to be able to get 4 tires for my Ranger for about $180. That's mounted and balanced too!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!