Anyone ever sit back...

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    Some of you guys seem to make changing out gear often a crime or somethin'. What's the big deal? The best part of this hobby is the anticipation of trying something new. It's kinda like getting a fresh piece of... (well, I'll leave that analogy to your imagination.)
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    Since my current speakers arrived (last December) I had to get a new source because the one I was using at the time died. I got a good deal on a replacement for the source that died but had replacing it in the back of my mind (just had to wait for the funds). The tube amps weren't ideal for the ESL's so they went in favor of more stable SS power. Since that time the only thing I changed were tubes in the new source and the source's ps. I now have it set the way I like it and don't see myself changing anything.

I've experimented with a lot of different gear that finally led me to this point. My wife has said that she would've just told me to buy what I wanted the first time instead of messing around with all the other gear thats been bought, tried, boxed up, and sold over and over again. It would've been impossible to do that as I wouldn't have appreciated my current rig without going through all the other gear first.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    I simply LOVE trying different speakers and preamps. I have the amp that will probably stay with me for a long while (though don't quote me on this ;)), so for me speakers and preamps is where it is. Some might call me crazy, stupid, or whatever you want, but while I can do it, I will try as much as I can. Maybe, just maybe, in a few years I will go back to the ones I liked the most.
    Remember those Thiels I bought like three months ago? Well, yesterday a professor from west PA took them home. Right now I'm running a $100 B&K pre and the Monitor 7's. The Raysonic and Bel canto? Gone.

When I get my next pieces I will let you guys know what they are.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    I simply LOVE trying different speakers and preamps. I have the amp that will probably stay with me for a long while (though don't quote me on this ;)), so for me speakers and preamps is where it is. Some might call me crazy, stupid, or whatever you want, but while I can do it, I will try as much as I can. Maybe, just maybe, in a few years I will go back to the ones I liked the most.
    Remember those Thiels I bought like three months ago? Well, yesterday a professor from west PA took them home. Right now I'm running a $100 B&K pre and the Monitor 7's. The Raysonic and Bel canto? Gone.

When I get my next pieces I will let you guys know what they are.

Huh? No more Thiels? The badass Raysonic is gone, too?

You've owned my dream speakers (Tylers) and my dream CDP (Raysonic), and they're both history (sigh). What am I supposed to do now?:(
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    The Raysonic and Bel canto? Gone.
    really? where are my tubes?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2007
    I recognize the Gear OCD when I see it. It takes one to know one.:p
    Cold turkey is the way to go.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited December 2007
    Only met Trey once, and I'm glad he's steering away from bass heavy realm. His Tylers have enough to make the music come through...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited December 2007
    Actually --

Tom can attest to this...

When I had the subs hooked up, it was a very very seamless blend --

Actually plugged them back up and crossed them at 35hz -- might need to bump it up a little bit...

So -- definitely like a little bit of low end fill
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited December 2007
    Double post --

Those VMPS subs, while a slaughter house for HT --

Are delicate and fast as lightning for music...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
    My appologies, Trey
  • VR3
    edited December 2007
    haha --

Hey, I use to be a basshead

I received many phone calls from my neighbors when I had the SVS -- and you saw how far away they were! :)
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
    Just couldn't get past the low end of them themselves.
  • VR3
    edited December 2007
    haha

Indeed

One day I will have to hear yours and Toms system...

I always enjoy hearing other systems...
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
    Dig it. But be forewarned, I only have one 12" sub... sorry.
  • VR3
    edited December 2007
    hahaha

I guess in my defense, I only originally planned on owning one larger sub... lol

But it kind of came down to... "why not"

I had a 2 ch amp... lol
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
  • VR3
    edited December 2007
    16awfdx.jpg (theres an identicle array on the other side of the horn)

haha...

subExp11eng.jpg
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
    What is this beast? And what horn?
  • VR3
    edited December 2007
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    You should have figured this out a long time ago.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    halo wrote: »
    really? where are my tubes?

PM me your address and I will send them back ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    I need to calm down. I purchased 25, yes 25 speakers this year.

I'm almost where I want to be though. My last 2 ch. speakers, the Tannoy Saturn S8's sounded beautiful, but were lacking bass. My current 2 ch. speakers, the HPD-385's, have plenty of bass, but the highs are a little dulled. Hopeufully re-capping the 25 year old crossovers will give me the sound I'm looking for. If not, back to searching for DMT15's or D700/D900's should give me what I'm trying to acheive.

I also started working on a pair of Frankennoys. 2 eD 12's and 1 tannoy dual concentric 6.5 per speaker.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
    Folded horn set. Damn.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    When you see the construction photos of it, you will realize how big it actually is. :eek:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007

Trey that website is friggin awesome. That sparked the OCD!!!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2007
    I sit back and think about what am I trying to achieve, all the time. And only sometimes is about my audio gear.

And good luck with that not buying any electronics in 2008. :)
  • treitz3
    edited December 2007
    I also wonder how the rotary sub-woofer would compare to what this cat has built.

That said, I will not be content until I reach the goal of my signature, which is unobtainable IMO.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
    The weird Fu*kin thing is, Tom, have you based your contentment on that which is unobtainable? Why chase shadows?
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    haha --

Hey, I use to be a basshead

I received many phone calls from my neighbors when I had the SVS -- and you saw how far away they were! :)

When you had the SVS - I think that thing was audible from the road!

Talk about earthquake!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • treitz3
    edited December 2007
    lightman1 wrote: »
    The weird Fu*kin thing is, Tom, have you based your contentment on that which is unobtainable? Why chase shadows?
    Because for me it's the fun I have in the chase. I don't believe that in our lifetime that we as humans will ever hear reproduced sound that sounds exactly like real sound. Part of me actually thinks that it cannot be done, even with a wallet that never ends both now and in the future.

The fact that we have come close to real sound is wonderful. To me, different high end rigs have a common denominator. That being different sounds, but not real sound. I have accepted this and am in the chase to get as close to real sound as I possibly can including all aspects of audio reproduction, but I think once I get as close as I possibly can it'll just boil down to whether or not the recording was good.

I will be upgrading, tweaking and experimenting until I die. I love the hobby that much. I have all my life so why stop now? Even though I feel I won't reach my goal, at least I'll have fun trying.