Anyone ever sit back...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,574
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
And just think to yourself...

"What exactly am I trying to achieve?"

After a year or spending, saving, building the system of my dreams, I sit here satisfied -- yet with the feeling of need to upgrade more...

But what more is there to upgrade? It is like the business cycle...

You reach a point, and even though your lowest point is low, its still higher than the last lowest point -- Except in audio, it seems to be you reach a point and all other moves beyond that "level" are lateral shifts with no real gains...

I know it's a little early to be making New Years Resolutions --

But I'm not going to buy anything effing electronics the entire year of 2008 or I'm going to shoot off my left big toe...

Have a great day... lol
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2007
    Suuure you aren't.....I believe you.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Just be sure to have a friend video tape the shooting.

And if you don't have one with a video camera, lemme know...I can grab one.

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    Just listen for awhile. Nothing more.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    I do that alot !

I am very happy with what I have acheived...very happy !

But like you said, you sit back and say.....It`s not JUST right....yet !

although what I have is no slouch, by any means, I still want more, better, different, etc.

I must say though...the new tubes have given me a new appreciation of my rig, as of late

How do you like the CDP you have ?
    Is that your only source (main)

I think that once you have quality gear that has the right qualities and sound, it is just a matter of tweaking it to get it "just right"

I am always ready to go to the next level, but that leap aint cheap !!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    I don't have the disease where I need to constantly replace my gear. I don't know what that makes me, but I do enjoy audio a whole lot. Love my system right now. I have some upgrades I would like to make to my system to get it to the level I want to get to. Beyond that, though....I don't know, I really am satisfied.

I listen to music rather than the gear.
  • VR3
    edited December 2007
    I absolutely love my Shanling

The only thing I would consider an upgrade is better gear from the same brand...

Thats part of my problem, how much better can it get...

I think my system performs 2-3 times what my Dad's does and his speakers alone - new - cost 9 times MORE than my entire system...

But I've spent the last 7 years just buying stuff, figuring stuff out --

And now I think I have built a setup that will put a smile on just about anyones face...

Especially mine...

Tickled to death...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited December 2007
    But yeah --

I don't know what to tell ya... I think I may lose my mind if I change anything else... lol
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2007
    Enjoy this year's upgrade paths and whatever level of gear you've aquired while living at home by realizing that the real world outside of your little cocoon is waiting to kick your **** & take it all away..diamonds & diapers trump tubes & tires everytime.:D:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    I've always said that if you listen to your rig and you are more preoccupied with what it lacks or what you think you aren't hearing....you are in the wrong hobby.

I've gone through a lot of gear in the past decade, mostly out of curiosity. I'm at a point though where I've heard and owned about all the stuff that I've wanted and have found the sound I like....so I don't have the desire to keep on the gear merry go round, and that's a good feeling.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited December 2007
    I decided it wouldn't be healthy to be into this sort of thing without a certain philosophical outlook. The ultimate goal is perfect reproduction of sound. That goal is unattainable, so I find no personal value in going nuts over merely getting close. Once at the "listenable" level changes to the hifi are only prompted by glaring faults, failures, or exceptional chance discoveries.

I see people with the money and space to sustain the pattern who do get caught up in it, and many don't appear to stay happy very long. The man with a seven channel bank of MC1201s wll be driven to replace them with MC1.2KWs. The one with the $200 interconnect will move to $400, 600, 800, 1000, and up and always feel he's missing something.

It's just a hobby after all. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. If developing a sound system becomes work and you're not getting paid for it, time to bail.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited December 2007

But I'm not going to buy anything effing electronics the entire year of 2008 or I'm going to shoot off my left big toe...

Have a great day... lol

You can live with nine toes just fine.:D
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    Here's a big lesson learned -- the "best" systems I owned were when I "downgraded."

If you think your cheap amp sounds mediocre, drop a few grand on a McIntosh or Mark Levinson or something like that, listen for a while, then put your old amp back in the mix. You may find that there are only differences in sound of the two amps, not better or worse.

Put your money in a good source and great speakers. Everything in between makes less of a difference, IMO.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • VR3
    edited December 2007
    I've owned so many amps...

And I must say you are nuts --

Now I am not going to sit here and tell you they will make or break a system

But they definitely have their own sound traits

Mono Blocks are so sweet, the channel seperation and depth of having mono blocks is absolutely surreal... there is no comparison

but amps definitely add or take away alot of clarity and seperation - but you will have to pay a bit to get that last 1%

This is all opinion of course, and obviously mileage may vary!
  • beardog03
    edited December 2007
    I`m not listening to just the gear, I am improving the sound quality... a step at a time

I have reached a level that all of my gear is quality, well built gear...

The only thing I think about when I upgrade is what it may bring to the listening table, and is it going to be what I think it is....will it fix this without changing that....It`s not a majorly critical thing that I try to fix, but it`s fun to try and "fine tune"

Your right, this is a hobby, and as such I like to play with my gear.
    I love music, and smooth detailed sound is my goal....and I have acheived this...in spades
    but I like gear, and I want to try different brands, types. cables, speakers, etc.

That`s a big part of the fun.
    I could stop right now, and be very happy with what I have, but I would miss out on all the stuff I want to experience

The new tubes just made my rig step up to a whole new level...I also swapped the Jolida tubes from some NOS Seimens, to the gold Pins I just got here at CP...
    Man what a change !
    I love them...they fit right in with all the other tubes / gear that I`m currently using....outstanding !

But I would like to experience Trey`s CDP one day....
    It just looks so cool !!:D
    I have found a keeper with the Cary F1 Pre amp...very versatile, but the Inverted thing is kinda weird to get over....keeps making me think I have done something wrong !!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• beardog03
    edited December 2007
    Mono Blocks are so sweet, the channel seperation and depth of having mono blocks is absolutely surreal... there is no comparison

That`s what I`m talkin about

That`s what I want to experience
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• TroyD
    edited December 2007
    I dunno gang....I've gone both ways. Mono construction does not GUARANTEE good sound. There are a hell of a lot of good stereo amps out there. Like anything else, it's all in the execution of the design.

BDT
  • beardog03
    edited December 2007
    I do love my amp..!

Dual mono design

But I have always wanted true mono amps

who knows, after a bit I might just go back to what I have...which I can always do, because she aint going anywhere !

I may see if I can do some upgrades / mod her someday, but she stay put

I bought her new , with zero miles, and I think she will go the distance

Plenty of power too...:)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    All in all I am happy with my rig. I know I can do better on the digital front end because I've heard better. I want and will get a high end digital front end that when I listen to it can be satisfied that it is as good as or as close as my analog front end.

After that it is just a matter of tweaking the room, and good compatible cables.

As far as the the front and the speakers being the only thing that matters . . . NOT!!!!

My dual mono designed amps coupled with the tube pre are leaps and bounds better than what I have had and have given me that great tonal accuracy that I've been chasing since I was a younster.
  • TroyD
    edited December 2007
    Sean,

There is a HUGE difference in 'enjoying' the gear aspect of it and being 'obsessed' by it.

There are folks out there that no matter what they have or listen to, it will never be good enough. To me, that is not enjoyment unless you are masochistic. That being the case, find something that you DO enjoy.

Then, there are folks, like me, who do change out gear. I do it out of curiosity and wanting to experience different things. Personally, I've never done it because of an inherent dissatisfaction with the sound.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited December 2007
    Roger that!

BDT
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    Zero wrote: »
    First and foremost;

Drop this “It’s all about the music” ****. Look. I’m all for a vain effort to make yourself look more grounded than your peers. If you were 100% content with nothing more than the music; you’d have little more than a tabletop radio you bought from Walmart, happy as a pig in **** with no care or concern as to what else is out there.

Where in this thread did anyone say it was all about the music? :confused:
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    Zero wrote: »
    Then one day, it dawned on me; why in the hell should I be looking for one system to ‘do it all’. ...I like to get a taste of everything, and it took years for my slow brain to realize that to get what I want, I’d need at least two systems.

Bingo.

The reality is, for many of us, we don't have the space, WAF, or money for multiple rigs, so one size fits all.

The trick is finding what you like most in your music or what genre you like most, then build your system around it. Forget about getting classical music to sound exceptional on your system if you only listen to it once in a blue moon.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2007
    Sid
    Take the focus off your main rig, and put together a vintage rig. It cures the audio boredom, is realtively inexpensive, and is tons of fun.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited December 2007
    Trey, My two channel is vintage all around. Come on by and listen.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Just be sure to have a friend video tape the shooting.

And if you don't have one with a video camera, lemme know...I can grab one.

:D

I can send you a video camera too :)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007

Have a great day... lol

It's not 2008 yet :) hurry, 4 weeks left to buy the gear that you always wanted! :)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    There is a HUGE difference in 'enjoying' the gear aspect of it and being 'obsessed' by it.

This is so true. Luckily I'm one of the "obsessed" ones.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • beardog03
    edited December 2007
    I too am possessed....
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    I don't understand you guys, always changing speakers and stuff. I have not changed anything in the last two years, and fully enjoy what I have :p:p:p

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    I don't understand you guys, always changing speakers and stuff. I have not changed anything in the last two years, and fully enjoy what I have :p:p:p
    Cough, hack, cough, *horseshit*, cough, hack, cough!:p;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10