Universal Remotes are where its at

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,128
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Best Buy had a good deal I couldnt pass up!

7 remotes to 1

I am in heaven!
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited November 2007
    Options
    it will even control your little lasko fan? hilarious
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Oh yeah!

I hit "Play DVD"

It turns on my TV, selects its source, turns on the Outlaw -- selects the source, turns on the Toshiba, presses play, turns on the Lasko - oscilates, and when Im done it turns it all off!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • AdamRagland
    edited November 2007
    Options
    i have the 670 but i just don't use it..its a tad scewy with the macro buttons. the ones that say "watch a dvd" and that stuff. most of the time after i've set it up it wont properly turn on every unit and so i have to hit help so it goes back through it.
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Ive found you have to hold down the button about 2-3 seconds

It sometimes dosnt turn on the fan, but thats fine...
  • AdamRagland
    edited November 2007
    Options
    especially with my xbox360.....i will teach it 3 times a day what the power button on the remote does but after a day it will eject the disc tray...i'm going to kill it
  • AdamRagland
    edited November 2007
    Options
    how much did you pay for the 880?
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    Options

Marked down from 249.99
  • AdamRagland
    edited November 2007
    Options
    not bad..i paid $40 for the 670. wasnt sure if i would like it so i bought it for 150 at BB, then when i decided i would keep it i odered it used on ebay for 40 and then returned the BB one. i love their no questions asked policy
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    Options
    well, my only problem with buying a used remote is just the fact I dont know what its been through - my remotes go through hell personally... lol

I also like the fact this thing has a charger - no more battery BS to deal with for a while...

But yeah, I like it so far... would be better if I didnt have a big ol amp blocking the TV remote sensor!

But - yeah, for 149.99 -- to get rid of 7 remotes... shoot yeah!
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I have a universal, but I keep all my old ones on a shelf in the TV room for effect. Along with about 10 others I've scavanged from various places. Good for when you're having someone over--"Can you hand me the remote?"
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    Options
    haha

Yeah - at Polkfest Ted was looking for a remote, opened a drawer and I think he had about 50...

I put mine in my TV stand in case I need them (obviously)

I guess I could of added the Outlaw 2nd zone remote for effect haha
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,868
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I bought a Harmony 550 recently. It's unless for the TV/DVD stuff, never gets the right input, but I found that it works pretty good as a remote for my 2 channel set up. Although, it still won't do a few things that it should after repeated download/learning attempts. I keep meaning to call them, but those few functions aren't that important to me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Yeah they're a bit tricky, but I've found with both of mine that enough tweaking will get them to do exactly what you want...
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,620
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I've got the 880 and it does everything I want.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I purchased the Harmony 1000 a while back and it works great for everything.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I've got the 659 and also does everything perfectly every time (even the Xbox). And I don't need to press for two seconds.....jus press, and I see the little green indicator light on for 3 or four seconds while it goes through all the sequences. Awesome remote.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Welcome to the modern world.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I have the Harmony 600 something series and am no longer nervous when I am not home and my wife needs to watch a movie!!!!!! It works great. It occassionally gets the wrong input or something, but the HELP button is awesome. It cycles through everything and makes sure it is right. I only paid 50 dollars for it, but would have definitely spent twice that on the ease of use and functionality of this thing.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I have an 880.....does everything I want except cook me dinner.
  • acsubie
    acsubie Posts: 773
    edited November 2007
    Options
    GF bought me a 550 last xmas...she even knows how to use it now, after a personal tutorial..simple enough although it does turn off my TV sometimes while switching activities but as mentioned above the Help buttom always fixes it
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I have a 676 that I got for free a couple of years back for going thru the training (simple stuff) and it works like a champ for about 97% of what I need it to do. I've taught it a few extra functions and, when I've changed/added gear, it was simple to do. I'm going to buy a 550 for my friends for Christmas because I am sure they would be happy to get everything into one.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited November 2007
    Options
    My 880 has worked well for us too. It's my wife's favorite part of the system...lol
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I got a 880 myself and love it. Does everything I wish for ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Options
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    I got a 880 myself and love it. Does everything I wish for ;)

Jeez, EVERYTHING?!?! you must not wish for much....
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Who needs a Universal Remote when you have a Universal Remonster?

Re-monster.jpg
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Well I did wish for a Jennie with 3 wishes but.....

I can't find the Jennie button on the 880 anywhere :(

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Universal remotes saved my marriage.

Isn't it amazing how many different devices the Harmony remotes know the codes for?
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Universal remotes saved my marriage.

Isn't it amazing how many different devices the Harmony remotes know the codes for?

I'm not touching that with a 10-foot remote control pole.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I want an 880 but the wife wants the 1000. My question is this. Say I'm playing Madden 2008 on the Xbox 360 and I want to switch the activity to playing a movie on the Toshiba HD-DVD player, will changing activities result in the remote attempting to turn off everything (TV, amp, receiver, 360) in order to switch to the HDDVD player by turning on the TV in the correct mode, powering on the amp, turning on the receiver in the correct mode, and turning on the HD-dvd player?
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Yes and No

You can opt to leave everything on unless you turn it off

Just saying