Competing Next Year

cam5860
cam5860 Posts: 632
edited December 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm looking to compete in Meca next year. But I'm going to need a complete new setup to be able to hang with the pro's. So I'm going with a all pioneer premier setup and see how I do. I'm going to run the pioneer premier prs 880 headunit. The pioneer premier prs 4100 4 channel amp. The pioneer premier prs components. And the pioneer premier shallow mount subs.
Post edited by cam5860 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Awesome, man. Hope it goes well for you!

I really like the HU you chose and also the...umm, .....well, the uh....., errr......I like the HU!! :)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • cam5860
    edited November 2007
    Yeah the only thing worrying me right now is that shallow sub. Ive heard mixed reviews on it. A guy at a local stereo shop around here sells them and he said they hit like hell. Buy really I won't know until I hear it for myself and determine if it's good enough.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    They dont sound too great, if you have the room, I'd def. try something else.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited November 2007
    Nice pick on the components as well.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited November 2007
    I cannot believe how small these premier amps are. These is a 4 channel amp it is rated at 75x4 RMS at 4 ohms, 150x4 at 2 ohms, 300x2 at 4 ohms.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Make sure you get something with some processing power. Youre not going to do very well without time alignment definitely and an active crossover and as big an EQ as possible will help a ton as well.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited November 2007
    Good luck with that setup. You weren't lying when you said ALL pioneer ;)
  • cam5860
    edited November 2007
    Well I got all the stuff orded today. My total was 962.00 not that bad considering the quality of products I'm getting. I got the headunit for 325.00, The amp cost me 269.00, and the components were 259.00, and last the sub was 109.00.
  • black magic
    edited November 2007
    Thats not a bad price at all. I'm not too familiar with the quality of Pioneer's speakers... except for the stock ones that were in my civic. But i'm just going to assume these sound better :D
  • 1996blackmax
    edited November 2007
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited November 2007
    Score wise these things are on the same level as the sr's. They both got ratings of 80 out of a 100. The only difference is price. 250 for these and 450 for sr's.
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited November 2007
    those speakers are supposed to be great sounding components! i was going to get a set for my girls car, but went with phoenix gold comp elites instead. let me know how they sound. good luck.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • cam5860
    edited November 2007
    Well I got bad news so far. That shallow mount sub I just installed it and listened to it for about 30 minutes setting the amp gain and tweeting on it a little bit. And I must say that it is a piece of ****. Although it sounded about like I thought it would. It sounded great at low to medium volume but try to turn it up and it bottoms out so bad. I have never heard a sub thats sounds this **** to be a name brand. I'm putting it on ebay for sale as of now.
  • black magic
    edited November 2007
    Sorry to hear that. At least now you know. "Live and learn", right?
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    Well I got my premier amp installed and let me just say I have never heard a amp that sounds this clean and natural in my life. This has to be one of the best sounding amp out right now. It give my mids alot more bass but clean bass with no distortion. It also took the sharpness out of my highs. This amp sounds so natural it's incredible. If anyone gets a chance you should listen to this amp.
  • black magic
    edited December 2007
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2007
    Nice amp but dont fool yourself - a watt is a watt. Dont buy into the "warm sounding" amps or the amps with "broader soundstages". Buy your amps for power, build quality and lack of noise.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    yeah true! But some watts are cleaner than others too.
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    That shallow mount sub sounds better than I previous thought. But that premier amp made alot of difference in the way it sounds also. After giving it some break in time it actually sounds decent.

My premier headunit and premier components will be here thursday. I will get them installed over the weekend and update everyone on the sound of the components. I have high expectations of these components with all the positive reviews on them. I hope I'm not disappointed.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Nice amp but dont fool yourself - a watt is a watt. Dont buy into the "warm sounding" amps or the amps with "broader soundstages". Buy your amps for power, build quality and lack of noise.

Yup, everyone knows its the cables (once properly burned in of course) that give you broader soundstages:p
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2007
    OMG hilarious!^^^^
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2007
    Just wait til I install those cable risers!

• Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2007
    All amplifiers are not created equal. Some have good power supplies and so don't. The Interfire brand could not even be rated by CA&E during a test because it would not make any power under 1% at any level. Also many amplifiers will have a difference in output between one channel and the other while only having one gain control. The best quality amplifiers reproduce the music as it was recorded without adding anything to the sound. Let the EQ's do that.
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    Pioneer and alpine is the only ones to date with the latest technology in amplifiers. The ice power technology they call it. It's a new type of class d technology that doesn't require heatsink because they are so efficent. One listen to these amps and you will hear the difference. I promise you that. These **** are so clean they will blow your mind. I turned the volume all the way up on my headunit and still could not get my components to distort. Thats how clean these amps are.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2007
    That has nothing to do with how clean the amps are. Its because they have more power and so you never get into their audible distortion. I guarantee you that if you push them into the 3+% THD range, youll hear plenty of distortion as all will start spitting out audible distortion if pushed hard enough. With proper gain setting, you can set up any amp to where it wont distort even at max volume on the head unit.

The key is to get an amp with enough power so that you can get the volume you desire without having to push the amp into its "redline". This is a matter of power and not Pioneer over Alpine or whatever.

Now as mentioned, all amps arent created or rated equally. Like the Interfire mentioned above. In that review, the Interfire was spitting out almost pure distortion well before it hit its rated power whereas the Crossfire was well passed its ratings before it even came close to audible distortion. That is one of the reasons you buy quality gear - cause itll perform like its supposed to and usually better. Pay attention and research things like power output and build quality as that is what truly separates the Audiobahns from the Zapcos. Dont get caught up trying to find the one with the "smoothest highs" or "tightest midbass" cause those are characteristics of speakers and not amps and youre doing yourself a disservice buying amps on those basis.

• 1996blackmax
    edited December 2007
    cam5860 wrote: »
    Pioneer and alpine is the only ones to date with the latest technology in amplifiers. The ice power technology they call it. It's a new type of class d technology that doesn't require heatsink because they are so efficent. One listen to these amps and you will hear the difference. I promise you that. These **** are so clean they will blow your mind. I turned the volume all the way up on my headunit and still could not get my components to distort. Thats how clean these amps are.

Actually Eclipse started using ICE Power a little while back too. It's been around for a few years now.

I would put my "old" technolgy amps from Arc Audio (XXK series), and Audison amps against any of the new technology from those companies any day. The nice thing about ice power (class D design) is that they allow you to put more power into a smaller footprint.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    All I know is I am in love with the way my ice power amp sounds.
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    ICEpower Amplifier Technology
    In the car audio world, ICEpower technology provides enough power to satisfy many music lovers. Don’t stop reading! We know you think amplifiers are only for car audio enthusiasts who want to pound the bass hard enough for everyone else on the freeway to hear. Not so! The goal of a precise sounding amplifier is to amplify the music signal cleanly – free of distortion and unwanted noise.

Pioneer’s newest Class D amps do this using an exclusive ICEpower circuit. ICEpower takes the amplified signal and compares it with the original input signal, compensating for any variance while it suppresses distortion. It also counteracts any imperfections from power supplies. The result: impressive quality audio! The bass is tight with less lag effect and the mids and highs are crisp and airy.

Considering how often you update your music collection, isn’t it also time to upgrade the system that delivers those rocking and smooth sounds? Don’t be complacent. Don’t fall into the trap of sticking with what you’ve got when you know better is within your grasp.

Don’t be a Drag

Some people worry that an amplifier will take up a lot of space or just generally be a drag on their car’s performance. No worries, even your imported compact car is big enough to add an amplifier without eliminating all your trunk space. Pioneer amps with ICEpower circuits are efficient machines: small with a big output. They don’t require a bulky heatsink to dissipate heat, which allows for a more compact design without compromising audio performance. You don’t need a big system to get big sound! There’s less draw on the alternator and less strain on the battery, which means more sound for you.

An awesome sound system should not come at the sacrifice of space or vehicle performance. Upgrade your in-car audio system and get the clear ICEpower sound experience you deserve!

“ICEpower” is a registered trademark of Bang and Olufsen Holding.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited December 2007
    This is widely known, and has been around for a little while.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I know but theres some guest that read these forums that are not that familar with ice power technology. So I was just informing people about it that might not know.