Have you advanced...with music?

13»

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Music Joe wrote: »
    Amazon looks to have some good deals on a lot of remastered classic rock
    back catalogues, good time to fill in a collection.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=4&docId=1000163581&plpage=4
    Tom Waits
    Velvet Underground
    The Band
    Rush
    Jethro Tull
    Supertramp
    Cream
    Creedence
    Fogerty
    Steely Dan
    Moody Blues
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    U2
    That's some of the $6 stuff.

Nice advancements!!!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    I recently had a 25 yr get together with my old band mates, and best friends from High School...
    I was really bummed to find that most (not all) were still listening to the exact same stuff as we were back then....60`s, 70, 80`s rock

I have added alot of smooth jazz , rock , classical , and other types of music to my audio plate, and when I asked a couple of them where they were going with their music these days, I just got the same ol....

kinda bummed me out.

As a band that was into all types of music, and because we were musicians, I expected to find alot more new stuff that I was not aware of....quite the opposite

It`s hard to find talent these days....BUT IT IS OUT THERE IF YOU LOOK

I just don`t know where to look anymore....!!!

watercolors (xm), 103.7 (fm)
    the lazy way to find music..!

Like all the sheeple out there I just groove on what they play....when I get bored , I pop in a CD that I have heard a bazillion (not brazillion) times, until I get bored with that..

That`s when new stuff finds it`s way into my audio library
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2007
    I grew up with 70's music as a kid, liked 80's disco type stuff in the 80's, fell in love with the Metalica stuff in the 90's. I was current until about 2000 but getting pretty sick of the music of the day. About 2005 I noticed there were a lot more great sounding mixes showing up here and there and started liking some contemporary country music. (before this country anything was a no no for me). from 2005 to present I have been moving backwards. It started with the classic 70's when I got into vinyl. Then I started with the the rest of the stuff I used to hate. The 60's were next. Currently I really like listening to stuff from the 20's to the 50's, even picked up an old victrola and early electric phonograph.

My mix today is fairly strange. A typical playlist might include anything from a weird 20's recording to the latest heavy rock with a little disco and big band stuff thrown in. You may even hear some bluegrass, rap and show tunes. I draw the line at religious rock though, that stuff just kills me to listen to even a minute of it.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2007
    There's some interesting stuff coming out, but not enough to make me want to go out and buy a cd of anything new. I've downloaded some new stuff, Franz Ferdinand, KT Tunstall, Gorillaz, etc. But the only cd's I've bought would be considered classic rock, or new albums by classic rock acts.

I guess you tend to stick to what you listed to as a teenager, and I graduated from HS in 77

BTW, I'm really liking the new Eagles cd.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    Madmax, I agree...
    my playlist covers all sorts of stuff....from one spectum to the other
    classical to Metalica

I am pretty much on the smooth Jazz thing, but I have my moments when I like to switch gears....usually in one extreme to the other
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • MGPK
    MGPK Posts: 88
    edited November 2007
    Zero wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. Great deals..! Finally bringing home Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and Steely Dan "Aja". I also threw in some Smashing Pumpkins "Siamese Dream", and "Zero", along with a spiffy winter holiday album from Loreena McKennit "A winter Garden - Five songs for the season". woot!

Zero, if you can or if you have SACD playback on your rig, I would really recommend Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" in 6 channel SACD. And I do believe that Steely Dan has most of their catalog available in DVD-A.

That being said, I'm 41 and have around 700 cd's (including hi-res) and my tastes do range from classical to classic rock but, I've been getting into a lot of world music and their are some fantastic recordings out there. For about 5 years I have been replacing cds with hi-res discs and I try to search out what's available for new talent as well.

What has been a good source of information regarding discovering new talent is a public radio station from Edmonton, Alberta called CKUA. They have over a million albums in their library and are always getting more. They play such a wide variety of music that on my days off I sometimes just listen to that station for the discovery of new/old talent that I have missed out on (and the sound quality for OTA FM is quite good actually.)
    System:

H/K AVR430 Receiver
    Samsung DVDHD841 Dvd player
    Yamaha CDC506 5 Disc changer
    Jamo E855 Tower speakers
    Wharfdale Pacific P-10 Bookshelf speakers
    Acoustic Research Master Series Interconnects
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited November 2007
    I graduated 30 years ago and IMO the 70s and 80s era had the best music ever. I still enjoy some 90s rock, but haven't locked in to the turn of the century stuff yet, unless it is something from an older band. I'll be rolling a little Aerosmith at the house, and friends will come over and ask if a teenager has moved in.
    [