Have you advanced...with music?

Comments

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited November 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    What city do you live in?

Traverse City, the population of the city is around 19,000, but the county, and surrounding counties (about 600 sq. miles) is a little over 200,000. We have huge mall, Best Buy, ABC warehouse, Office depot etc., but the only record store is Fye. I hate to even go in there, I think they make most their money from cell phone sales.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    Probably no real big colleges nearby, huh?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    shack wrote: »
    I realized I was collecting a lot of music...but not listening to a lot of music. There's stuff there I completely forgot I own, Cds and LPs that have never been opened, I need to get it out and listen to it.

I'm right there with you on that one. I have boxes of LPs and CDs that are still sealed. The thing is that I have the music standby's that I listen to often and regularly then in between I'll go into an unattended pile and pull out one blindly and play it. I don't think I can ever play all of what I currently have before I finish this leg of the journey.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    I haven't advanced with music because music has not made any recent advancements. I hate almost eveything made in the last 20 years. Pure garbage, I say.

If it's compressed, it's not musical.

If the performer dances more than he/she sings, they suck.

MTV is the devil's workshop.

DAMN EB that was extremely well put!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    Pearl Jam .....tolerable!?!?!?:eek::eek:

Blasphemy. Pearl Jam is awesome.

I'm a Pearl Jam lover too. But Eddie needs to get the marbles out of his mouth.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited November 2007
    Pearl Jam .....tolerable!?!?!?:eek::eek:

Blasphemy. Pearl Jam is awesome.

Ten was great, however, Versus and Yield are my two favorites
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    DAMN EB that was extremely well put!!!

Early's post is ridiculous and so is the response. No advancements? What's that mean exactly?

I bet both of you have present day recordings with single tracks you like, or may even love but how will we ever know? I've heard a plethora of music that I would have never thought of prior....perhaps you two need to open your mind.

Subscribe to Paste magazine, it might help you thru the dark days of 70's music.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Early's post is ridiculous and so is the response. No advancements? What's that mean exactly?

I bet both of you have present day recordings with single tracks you like, or may even love but how will we ever know? I've heard a plethora of music that I would have never thought of prior....perhaps you two need to open your mind.

Subscribe to Paste magazine, it might help you thru the dark days of 70's music.

I was referring to this part of his statement;

If it's compressed, it's not musical.

If the performer dances more than he/she sings, they suck.

As you can see from my previous posts I am very opened minded when it comes to music. My bad for not being more specific.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    I don't need to see anything, I've read it before but thanks. Rock on!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2007

Oh Doro, put on your favorite Britney Spears CD (or any other lackluster artist of the past two decades) and enjoy.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. You don't have to agree.

I'm not alone. There are lots of folks out there who also believe the quality of music, talent of the artists, and innovation has deteriorated.

Lack of advancements to me means it all sounds the same. Nothing unique, nothing new. In the 70's and 80's, entirely new genres of music were created, artists were constantly evolving, and singers could, uh... actually sing. Anything new come along in jazz? What about R&B? Rock? Rap? Country has a few mainstream artisits, but that's about it. Same 'ol ****, different smell.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    Then why do you even bother?
  • Early B.
    edited November 2007
    Then why do you even bother?

'Cause the old stuff still sounds good. Don't you agree?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited November 2007
    Music Joe wrote: »

Yeah so I start this post with all these new young bands I dig and figure this would say it better.

Sorry, couldn't listen to it all the way through, got bored, very repetitive. No offense.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited November 2007

I'm writing your name in for President next election.

I used to say to my sons when they'd listen to Eminem (sp?) that I'd like for him to show up at the house so I could kick his ****.
    Detested his "music".
    They got me to listen to some of his "lyrics", though, and I do have a different view of his "music" (I still have to put music in quotes, though, when talking about rap :rolleyes:).

I don't keep up with today's music, I guess. I was there in the 60's and 70's when music and the music crowd had a whole different attitude regarding their craft. It seems like with today's groups, a song will be written and produced because a marketing group has decided that within 17.378 months after the songs release, the rights can be sold to a car company or feminine hygiene company to push a commercial product.

It bothers me to listen to Led Zepplin playing over a Cadillac commercial (even though it's well done).
    What next ? John Foggerty doing "Who'll stop the rain" for FDS ?

Danger Boy mentioned Tony Bennet playing at a local restored club.
    I saw him on the local PBS station with a variety of artists. Some warranted being on the stage with the man. Others, such as "Sting" should have been taken out and shot for having the audacity to appear in the same venue.

So .... I'll stick with my older heavy metal (Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Pantera, etc) and keep my ears open for other groups that aren't commercial shills.

..... I'm still writing in Early B's name for President next election.
    Sal Palooza
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    the lead singer of that band is emulating exactly what Freddie Mercury did about 20 yrs ago.. he's mannerisms are identical.

There is some good music being put out today.. not by the most mainstream artists though.. more indie ones are making some good music.

I would think it would be very tough to be a band right now just trying to make it big. When you think about it.. nearly everything has been done at one time or another throughout the history of music.. do be able to come up with a new sound can't be easy at all. Your band will always be compared to this or that band from the past.

Why do you think a lot of singer from the 70's and 80's are now putting out music of old standards? It's timeless well written music that people will always be listening to. True, it gets tiresome after a while, but the audience for that kind of music will aways be there.

Would Diana Krall have a career today if she didn't do standards from the 40's and 50's?? I kind of doubt it. Rod Stewart released three CD"s of standards that sold very well. The list goes on and on. My point is, good music will withstand that test of time. So so music will not.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm open to anything new,but as some of you have said,not too much out there that tickles my fansy.I can't listen to the radio without getting a headache.

I hear the headache thing. My wife will turn the radio on in the car, and I have to shut it off.
    shack wrote: »
    I stay very current with today's music....I just don't like most of it.
    +1
    ....MTV is the devil's workshop.
    yep.
    ;.....Blasphemy. Pearl Jam is awesome.

+2 for that 1

I grew up an country and oldies until the ripe old age of about 8The it was Run DMC, Beastie Boys, rap for the early 80's until about 2000 and hated heavy metal at the start. Some where in the 90's I started to like heavy Metal, but did not like classic rock. Techno was there from when it starte, still like a lot of the mellower stuff. Around 99 I started to like classic rock and country. Most of the recent "C"rap "music" I hear is instantly shut off. If it's from the 80's early 90's I can handle it, just keep all that gangsta crap away from me. Metal's Metal bring it on (for the most part). Country is tolerable, the new stuff sounds like '80's pop(think Bon Jovi, oh wait he's doing country now)My heart lies some where between the late 60's to middle 80's these days, I don't find to much new stuff that does it for me anymore
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2007
    The last "new" band I liked was Los Lobos. I believe that was the mid 80's.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited November 2007
    At 35, I'm going backwards to classical, jazz, and rock. Why? Because I didn't have anything remotely close to my LSi15's back in my late teens and early twenties.

I'm rediscovering and life is good.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    Is there good stuff out there today? Yes.

Do I think that the overall quality or artistic value of the music industry has gone south....it's debatable but I think probably so.

Does that mean that we should dismiss anything current out of hand? Of course not. One it's a ridiculous premise and two it makes the situation even worse.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2007
    What is "MTV?"
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    Every year has top hits. About 2/3 of them will be forgotten. Common
    trend for as long as I remember. My greatest joy has been finding
    some of the lesser hits that sound great. XM's deep tracks is full of them.
    And many of the top tunes of this year will turn into "what did we ever
    see in that?" down the road. Other than extreme compression,
    I don't see a change in the trend. Today's treasure is tomorrow's trash.
    And visa-versa.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    What is "MTV?"

Misc. tv. Nothing what so ever to do with music.:D
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Early B.
    edited November 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Is there good stuff out there today? Yes.

Do I think that the overall quality or artistic value of the music industry has gone south....it's debatable but I think probably so.

Does that mean that we should dismiss anything current out of hand? Of course not. One it's a ridiculous premise and two it makes the situation even worse.

BDT

Agreed.

I have plenty of "new" music, but mostly from artists "off the grid" from sites like CD Baby.

Generally speaking, though, music has gone downhill. There was no need to go off grid back in the 70's and 80's. The popular artists deserved their ranking because they were good, not because of the popularity arising from the media attention they get when they don't wear panties, videotape their sexual escapades, or sleep with little boys.

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Misc. tv. Nothing what so ever to do with music.:D

Wow what country are you from???? It's The My **** Vibrator channel.

Thread Jack over continue.
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited November 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    the lead singer of that band is emulating exactly what Freddie Mercury did about 20 yrs ago.. he's mannerisms are identical.

Yep, sounds like Green Day meets Bohemian Rhapsody, maybe not the best example of talent or new directions. I like the classic stuff and don't mind new bands robbing the past and delivering a retro sound.

I should have posted a Gov't Mule vid.
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited November 2007
    Yep, the key is most stuff on the radio and made easily accessible today is not that good IMO. You have to work harder look elsewhere and dig deeper.
    Having a good buddy or resource you trust to recommend stuff is super helpful in finding new and interesting stuff.

"Music" and the "music industry" is crap cause they moved away from producing music into producing the "artist of the day". They want you to love an artist and their clothing line and their perfume etc..

If you loved music you'd try as hard to find great new music as you try to find the next piece of gear.

Maybe this is the difference between a music fan and a gearhead??
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    Ive actually been more interested in younger people who listen to older music. One good thing out of the "ipod" generation is that they are really going old school. I've actually had talks with younger engineers around (interns) born in the late 80's but listen to music from the 70's and 80's and can actually talk the talk.

As for me, I have advanced with music but it defiantly slowed down around the year 2000. There’s enough good old school bands (for my time) like Rush still putting out music and touring to keep me pretty happy. Another good thing for me of the "mp3 generation" is the ability to come across huge stores of music from people and try it all, new or old.

I fully believe the digital revolution (starting with the IPOD mainstream) is truly improving the music world and I think we have just gotten started in a much larger revolution.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited November 2007
    Amazon looks to have some good deals on a lot of remastered classic rock
    back catalogues, good time to fill in a collection.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=4&docId=1000163581&plpage=4
    Tom Waits
    Velvet Underground
    The Band
    Rush
    Jethro Tull
    Supertramp
    Cream
    Creedence
    Fogerty
    Steely Dan
    Moody Blues
    Stevie Ray Vaughan