Have you advanced...with music?

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm 45, and I can't help but notice that most of my contemporaries are shocked by the music I listen to. Some of them younger than me. Do you keep up with music, listen to current groups, etc? They look at me like I'm going thru a mid-life crisis or something--but there is alot of current music that I like as much as the classic stuff. Even my daughter-in-law, at the grand ol age of 28, freaks out at some of the rock I listen to---nothing extreme--just rock.

Do you find this with some of your friends?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited November 2007
    At 43, most of my friends are surprised that I still listen to very heavy music, but most of it is not new, they just don't listen to it anymore. Of course at this point, most of them just listen to music on the radio in their cars, and really have no interest in music as a hobby anymore. Don't know how that happens.

As far as new stuff, I try a lot of it out, but rarely find anything I like. If I do find something I like, I'm usually bored with it in a few months. No one seems to write tunes that have any lasting value anymore.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    At 52 I've always been open for all music. I don't keep up with new music by listening to the radio but my son is constantly turning me on to new stuff and there are a couple of younger members here who will email me when they come across a new group or album that they thing may interest me.

I've been turned onto relatively recent goups like;

Arcade Fire

The Killers

Maroon Five

The Shins

. . . . to name a few. I've found myself going back several times listening to the LPs again. The problem I have though is that I can't listen to compressed music no matter how good it is. For instance I have the Red Hot Chile Pepper's, "Stadium Archadium" in a four LP set; great, really great music . . . it is so compressed that as WM2 mentioned above, I get bored after a few moments and move onto something else.

Maybe we should start a thread like, "New Music for Older Folks."
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    At 30, I'm finding it more difficult to keep up with current/new music. My most recent addition is Rise Against's new album on vinyl. But if I were to go to a record store, I'd more than likely look for stuff I grew up on such as Iron Maiden, NIN, etc...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    i've un-advanced with my music.

last night we had the grand reopening of a local art deco movie theater built in 1931 that was just restored to it's old granduer. Opening night was none other than Mr. Tony Bennett himself.

The 1600 seat venue was sold out in no time of course. at 81 years old Tony Bennett still has it... the man has the voice and the lungs of any guy half his age. I wasn't lucky enough to score tickets to the concert.. as tix prices ranged from $150 and up. I did see video of three of the songs he did.. his is an incredible singer and he knows how to really deliver a song.. all the subtlities and nuances that are required of a singer of his caliber.

Man can he sing. anyhoo, i'm getting more into the old standards sung by the greats of their time.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    I stay pretty current but my tastes have mellowed some. I love Arcade Fire Joe. They are awesome.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited November 2007
    I'm open to anything new,but as some of you have said,not too much out there that tickles my fansy.I can't listen to the radio without getting a headache.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    My musical tastes have changed a bit through the years, though it seems I've come full circle.

I used to listen to oldies and Elvis when I was 10 and younger, and that was about it. Then I branched out into country and really loved my George Strait and The Tractors CD. So for the next few years I really stuck with oldies and country.

A few years ago I branched out and started getting into pop and classic rock, trying to broaden my horizons, as I realized there's really a LOT of great music out there in a lot of different fields.

However, for the last month or more I've really gotten back into country. I do believe it is my all time favorite genre. Possibly because I listened to it so much when I was younger. I rediscovered my The Tractors CD and haven't tired of listening to it for over a week straight yet! :D

It's just amazing to me how many great country artists are out there on the radio right now. Billy Currington, Blake Shelton, Brad Paisley, Brooks & Dunn, Craig Morgan, Dierks Bentley, John Michael Montgomery, Rodney Atkins, Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Trace Adkins, etc. And of course you have your Alan Jackson, George Strait, Mark Chesnutt, Sawyer Brown, etc.

And I'm really beginning to have my eyes opened towards Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, etc.

There's just so much great music out there and not enough money for CD's!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    I stay very current with today's music....I just don't like most of it.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    I've sort of slowed down on my music purchases over the last few months. With well over 1,500 CDs, LPS, DVDs etc... I realized I was collecting a lot of music...but not listening to a lot of music. There's stuff there I completely forgot I own, Cds and LPs that have never been opened, I need to get it out and listen to it. On top of that there is XM and internet music...there are only so many hours in a day. Plus all the other stuff...golf, cars...
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2007
    recently i am actually moving backwards. at 33 there is alot of stuff i missed from the 60's and 70's.

I go through my wifes playlists when i want to hear some new stuff..

I have found youtube to be an awesome try it before you buy it source..
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2007
    At age 48, there is still a lot of current music I like. It amazes me how well the classics from years past hold up! And since I have a 17 yr old, I just pass down any CD's I buy and decide I don't like. Of course, my 17 yr old has now become a big fan of the classic rock I listen too, what's up with that!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited November 2007
    Thats because we were lucky enough to have grown up in the best musical time ever.
    Talking about the 60's,70's,80's.Anything after about mid 80's started going down hill for me anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited November 2007
    I'm almost 55 and have mostly 60's and 70's Classic Rock along with some 80's (Van Halen, Guns 'n Roses, Def Leppard, etc). I haven't liked much since then although I have recently 'discovered' Foo Fighters and Nickleback. In fact I just picked up 3 Foo Fighters CD's. Others that have been tolerable have been Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins. I even like Gwen Stefani's 'The Sweet Escape' and Fergie's 'Big Girls Don't Cry'. For those, I probably need help :(
    I am pleased to say, though, that I pretty much dislike the rest of the tracks on those CD's (which I never will own) and also dislike their 'roots' No Doubt and Black-Eyed Peas intensely :cool:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited November 2007
    31, and lately have been really trying to expand my musical horizons. Just picked up all three Vienna Teng albums, listened to some Diana Krall, and some other Jazzy stuff. Trying to hear what you other "audiophiles" hear!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2007
    I haven't advanced with music because music has not made any recent advancements. I hate almost eveything made in the last 20 years. Pure garbage, I say.

If it's compressed, it's not musical.

If the performer dances more than he/she sings, they suck.

MTV is the devil's workshop.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited November 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    I haven't advanced with music because music has not made any recent advancements. I hate almost eveything made in the last 20 years. Pure garbage, I say.

If it's compressed, it's not musical.

If the performer dances more than he/she sings, they suck.

Do I detect even the slightest bit of sarcasm?:p
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    I listen to new stuff, just not the same new stuff you might be refering too!
    Once in a while a new rock artist comes out I like, but no rap for me.
    I end up looking at some newgrass or female vocalist, etc.
    I even listen to classical on XM.
    What's sad is the music industry has dug it's self into a huge rut.
    Rap/POP is all they push. Country is actually sounding more and more like rock
    to fill the void. Big rock stations are playing about 50 songs in rotation
    and thinking that's good?
    And I'm just a bitter, miserable old man. Has Brittany OD'ed yet?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I'm almost 55 and have mostly 60's and 70's Classic Rock along with some 80's (Van Halen, Guns 'n Roses, Def Leppard, etc). I haven't liked much since then although I have recently 'discovered' Foo Fighters and Nickleback. In fact I just picked up 3 Foo Fighters CD's. Others that have been tolerable have been Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins. I even like Gwen Stefani's 'The Sweet Escape' and Fergie's 'Big Girls Don't Cry'. For those, I probably need help :(
    I am pleased to say, though, that I pretty much dislike the rest of the tracks on those CD's (which I never will own) and also dislike their 'roots' No Doubt and Black-Eyed Peas intensely :cool:

Pearl Jam .....tolerable!?!?!?:eek::eek:

Blasphemy. Pearl Jam is awesome.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited November 2007
    I've always been a rock kinda guy but I find myself now wanting to listen to more jazz and blues. Our Rockford club get togethers have helped introduce me to some stuff I've never heard and really enjoy. So, thanks to the local Polkies and the ability and want to hear different music I suppose I've grown the most over the past year.
  • WilliamM2
    edited November 2007

I also think MTV was the beggining of the end for good rock music...back in the 80's.

As far as I can tell, they don't play any music anymore, so I don't think they have any effect today.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited November 2007
    Pearl Jam .....tolerable!?!?!?:eek::eek:

Blasphemy. Pearl Jam is awesome.

Yeah, I guess. If Eddie Vedder wasn't such a dickhead though I might feel a little more amorous towards them :D

I guess I'll get in trouble for this....sorry in advance for those offended.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    I like all generations of stuff, but I frequently defend this generation from those that say there's nothing good.

Most music fans are lazy ones. They don't want to thumb through records at a mom & pop record store that cuts much deeper than top 40. I can respect that, but it doesn't mean you know what's out there if you don't do it. ;)

There's more great music out today than ever waiting to be discovered, and it's really not that hard to find.
  • WilliamM2
    edited November 2007
    Most music fans are lazy ones. They don't want to thumb through records at a mom & pop record store that cuts much deeper than top 40. I can respect that, but it doesn't mean you know what's out there if you don't do it.

You realize that most of us have no "mom & pop" record stores anywhere near us, don't you? Most have gone out of business, the remaining ones are dropping like flies.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    You realize that most of us have no "mom & pop" record stores anywhere near us, don't you? Most have gone out of business, the remaining ones are dropping like flies.

If you live in the sticks, yeah, but I will bet you if you live anywhere near a major city you can find at least one good one.

I don't doubt it's tough when you're competing with Best Buy, but that's why you need to find a niche as a business. We have Atomic Records here in Milwaukee, and it's been here for as long as I can remember. It's run by a bunch of guys you'll see at local shows all around town on any given night. They stock mostly independent stuff, lots of vinyl, and have tapped into the used market as well. I love it.

They have their niche. They stay out of the FM radio crowd/pop culture **** and gives those of us who want to discover music for ourselves a chance to do so.

Although, the lack of mom & pop stores isn't an excuse. The internet has been awesome for me in terms of bands I have found I never otherwise would have AND it gives a platform to talk about the music with the artists who actually want to talk shop.

Here's a list of Atomic releases this week and a description. I'll be willing to bet most of the people here haven't heard of a single artist on this short list save for ZombieBoy2000 (Jason) and a couple of others:

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Ask Forgiveness CDEP/12" (Drag City)
    Joined by Meg Baird (Espers) on acoustic guitar and vocals, Greg Weeks on electric guitar and Maggie Wienk on cello, Bonnie and company cover a handful of diverse songwriters -- from Bjork to Danzig to R. Kelly.

Tusk (Pelican) - The Resting Dreamer CD (Tortuga Recordings)
    Three quarters of Pelican and new co-vocalists Evan Patterson (Young Widows, Breather Resist) and Toby Driver (Kayo Dot) create a four-song feeding frenzy of eerie power dirges, echo-chamber intrigue and soaring space rock finesse.

British Sea Power - Krankenhaus? CDEP (Rough Trade)
    Features two tracks from the upcoming album Do You Like Rock Music? (due February 2008) along with three B-sides and two videos.

Anberlin - Lost Songs CD (Tooth & Nail)
    Eighteen-track odds and sods collection of covers, previously unreleased songs and acoustic versions.

The Valerie Project - The Valerie Project CD/2xLP (Drag City)
    Inspired by a classic of Czech New Wave cinema, Jaromir Jire's Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders (1970), Greg Weeks, joined by members of Espers and other Philadelphia groups such as Fern Knight, Grass, Fursaxa, Timesbold, Woodwose and Rake (as well as enigmatic electronic composer Charles Cohen), conceived a new soundtrack to the film.

Major Stars - Mirror/Messenger CD/LP (Drag City)
    With a new lineup expanded to a sextet, Major Stars' latest record features the same triple-guitar assault and fervid vocalizations from Sandra Barrett, and is sure to please fans of Blue Cheer, Hawkwind, Black Sabbath, The Stooges, Luxurious Bags and so on.

Six Organs Of Admittance - Shelter From The Ash CD/LP (Drag City)
    Shelter From The Ash features a most fluid combination of electric and acoustic Six Organs Of Admittance styles. Seeking change and a fresh killing field at all costs, the album is dark and blustery, lucent and lithe -- mining electricity, hydrogen and other elemental forces within.

Malajube - Trompe-L'oeil CD/LP (Dare To Care)
    Second album from the Canadian pop-rock quintet. A sweet pop thrill.

Seabear - The Ghost That Carried Us Away CD (Morr Music)
    A melodic, folksy experimental lo-fi release by 23-year old Sindri Sigf�sson (AKA Seabear) who hails from Reykjavik, Iceland and writes beautiful songs using acoustic guitar and piano, gentle vocals, tinkly-winkly mallets, synth flourishes and restrained percussion.

Ayo - Joyful CD (Interscope)
    Debut album from the German born singer/songwriter, who in the past has been compared to a combination of Sade, Joni Mitchell and Jimmy Cliff. You might have caught her PBS special, Ayo: Live In Monte Carlo. Also in stock: a limited edition import 10" of her debut single "Down On My Knees."
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited November 2007
    We have Electric Fetus here, and that place rocks...I live out in the burbs, so the trips out there are somewhat infrequent....Anything that I have trouble finding I can get there, and most of the time I find something new while I am there...
  • WilliamM2
    edited November 2007
    If you live in the sticks, yeah, but I will bet you if you live anywhere near a major city you can find at least one good one.

Yeah, I live in the sticks, population over 200,000. I don't think Best Buy or any of the other stores around here drove them out of business. I think most people do not buy music anymore, or at least not enough to support a store that only sells music.
    Although, the lack of mom & pop stores isn't an excuse. The internet has been awesome for me in terms of bands I have found I never otherwise would have AND it gives a platform to talk about the music with the artists who actually want to talk shop.

I was going to mention that a lot more can be found on the internet, than at any record store.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2007
    I like any music as long as the artists have real talent and it is recorded properly. My first music tweek was taught to me in the late 50's when my grandmother taught me how to tap the side of the tube radio on the refrigerator to get the tubes to light up.
    I was exposed to all types of music from country to classical and like most types. Never could get into heavy metal or flute music. Most of the new Pop stuff sucks IMO.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I live in the sticks, population over 200,000. I don't think Best Buy or any of the other stores around here drove them out of business. I think most people do not buy music anymore, or at least not enough to support a store that only sells music.

What city do you live in?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    There is a ton of music, across normal listening brackets that most most never listen to....including folks here. I tend to give everything a chance, wether it becomes a rotation thing is another issue.

If your demo 5 years ago is still the same demo....you haven't moved on.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    On that point, I don't mean to say that if it's something nobody has heard of that it's instantly great. I know people who act like that. On the flip side, just because nobody has heard it doesn't make it **** either, which is why I call so many lazy when it comes to adventuring into new music on your own.

I may be strange, but I go to the record store and grab something I have never heard of before and pop it in. If it sucks I am out $12-15 at worst. Big deal, there are worse things to piss money away on, IMO. 9/10 I end up digging the music (especially on a good system) and discovering a whole new band/artist.