Car Advice

2»

Comments

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited November 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    Someone needs to check their numbers on teh warranty of the batteries on Hybrids. I remember hearing they were warrantied up to 100k miles.

I could be wrong on this, but I think replacement of the batteries is also a tax deductible thing with as gung ho the govt is about people supporting the technology......

Here in California, the Prius' batteries are warrantied for 10 years/150,000 miles (whichever comes first) by Toyota. I know that this warranty varies from state to state. Also, the Camry Hybrid's battery warranty may differ from that of the Prius.

Generally there's also a tax credit towards the purchase of a hybrid. Again, this varies from model to model.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    Your Dad must need a fleet of vehicles

trucks, jeeps, cars

Yet, as you have mentioned before --

Taxi's and trains are where its at..

I'm just saying...

Do you even read the other threads? "A landscaper friend of mine is looking for a truck..."
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited November 2007
    My vote is for the Toyota Yaris. it is not a hybrid but get 36 city 40 hwy and it quite comfortable and not expensive. I have had mine for a year and a half and I love it. With my short commute i get gas once a month.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited November 2007
    I'm really not big on the hybrids myself. It's a good concept, but I think it's more of a marketing thing than anything else. They really don't get the mileage they claim, and the environmental impact of creating and disposing of the batteries is no better than (if not worse than) a little four banger.

Honda just announced that their fuel cell vehicle will be available to the public next summer. Now we're starting to get somewhere.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Pablo wrote: »
    I'm really not big on the hybrids myself. It's a good concept, but I think it's more of a marketing thing than anything else. They really don't get the mileage they claim, and the environmental impact of creating and disposing of the batteries is no better than (if not worse than) a little four banger.

Honda just announced that their fuel cell vehicle will be available to the public next summer. Now we're starting to get somewhere.

I didn't know that. However, Toyota claims the Prius' city mileage to be 48 miles per gallon, and I have a friend at school who drives a Prius and gets 55 MPG!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited November 2007
    Everyone should be buying the BMW Hydrogen 7: http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/09/12/more-photos-of-the-bmw-hydrogen-7/

Seriously though! I think you definitely want a 4 cylinder for city driving if you don't get a hybrid. Why not even a Smart if they have them in NYC? I also love those VW turbo-diesels: so much torque they are even better to drive than the gas powered equivalent model.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Kex wrote: »
    Everyone should be buying the BMW Hydrogen 7: http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/09/12/more-photos-of-the-bmw-hydrogen-7/

Seriously though! I think you definitely want a 4 cylinder for city driving if you don't get a hybrid. Why not even a Smart if they have them in NYC? I also love those VW turbo-diesels: so much torque they are even better to drive than the gas powered equivalent model.

Yes, a Smart! I was thinking about those!

My mom/dad asked me about the Smart car the other day - is it a good option?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    ... My mom/dad asked me about the Smart car the other day - is it a good option?
    I've seen them here in L.A. but haven't tried one yet. I think they only have two seats, so you can't carry the kids around for example. That aspect almost doomed them as a second car option in Europe (compared to 1.4L and 1.6L fuel efficient VW Golf options for example, that we aren't even offered here).

Here's a website: http://www.smartusa.com/

I'll try and have a look, just for fun, within the next month, but it wouldn't make sense for us to change our 5 year old Golf just yet ... You'ld have to see how it measures up to the reputedly excellent Yaris and Versa.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Kex wrote: »
    I've seen them here in L.A. but haven't tried one yet. I think they only have two seats, so you can't carry the kids around for example. That aspect almost doomed them as a second car option in Europe (compared to 1.4L and 1.6L fuel efficient VW Golf options for example, that we aren't even offered here).

Here's a website: http://www.smartusa.com/

I'll try and have a look, just for fun, within the next month, but it wouldn't make sense for us to change our 5 year old Golf just yet ... You'ld have to see how it measures up to the reputedly excellent Yaris and Versa.

Thanks.

A Smart Fortwo would be very practical for a city like NYC. Or something like a Toyota Yaris which is also another option.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    I would go for the Yaris over the smartcar. The only advantage to the smart is that it's easier to park. The Yaris is very close in mpg and is a lot more car.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    I would go for the Yaris over the smartcar. The only advantage to the smart is that it's easier to park. The Yaris is very close in mpg and is a lot more car.

Also - would you recommend two-door or four-door Yaris? Which would have the more "bang for the buck"?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    Depends on your needs. The 2 door looks nicer IMHO, but if you have a small family or go out with more than 2 additional people frequently, I'd go 4 door.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited November 2007
    I have the 4 door in black. I personally did not like the 3 door but that i my opinion. The trunk space is huge on the 4 door and the rear seats fold down as well. I average right around 40 mpg with my daily driving. I have not had any problems with them. When I took it to get the oil changed on it the other day the salesman told me that they cant keep them in stock because there being bought so fast.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    needs notwithstanding, test drive the 3 and 4 door. they are 2 different platforms from what I have heard (i.e. pretty much different cars from top to bottom.)

drove Fireman32's yaris for a 4 hr stint on the way to SC polkfest last year. cool little car man. I'd do it as a daily driver with no probs whatsoever.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    needs notwithstanding, test drive the 3 and 4 door. they are 2 different platforms from what I have heard (i.e. pretty much different cars from top to bottom.)

drove Fireman32's yaris for a 4 hr stint on the way to SC polkfest last year. cool little car man. I'd do it as a daily driver with no probs whatsoever.

Thanks, I'll have my dad check out the Toyota Yaris. I'm just leaning towards the 4-door version because if you need to get in/out of the rear seat frequently the 2-door Yaris isn't as practical.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1