Car Advice

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well - my dad is looking to buy a new car and basically has narrowed his choice down to the Toyota Camry Hybrid and the Nissan Altima Hybrid.

a) Which car would you guys recommend?

b) Since hybrids' forte is their city gas mileage, being that most of the driving will be done in the city, will a hybrid be a good choice?
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    Hybrids are actually better in the start and stop style of driving that cities offer. As for which one, I would recommend the Camry as Toyota is the frontrunner in the hybrid technology (at least had been for the past few years with Honda) and very reliable. I don't think I'll ever buy a non-Toyota / Honda car again.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited November 2007
    I don't know if I would buy a hybrid. If you want to help save the environment then great, but if your sole purpose is to save $ on gas then it's not the best option depending on how long you will keep it. The base Hybrid costs $6600 more then the base regular Camry. You wouldn't break even on gas savings until about 70Kmiles. The Avg person gets a new car every 5 years. The avg miles per year is 12,000. That puts you at 60,000 miles and you haven't saved any money yet.

Also have you priced the Batteries on Hybrids? I was told they cost somewhere around $6,000 to replace.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Yes, I'd like to help save the environment and also promote the new technology. I see it as an investment in hybrid technology.

Also - we never keep cars for less than 10 years. So the gas savings are a big plus, especially since we live in the city.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited November 2007
    F the hybrid. The first time you have to replace the batteries you will want to kill yourself. I would look into a diesel of some kind, like a Jetta TDI. I don't know about the Toyota batteries specifically, but I do know from a good friend that a set of batteries for a Lexus is about $4000 every three-four years....The city mileage on a TDI in around 40+.....Highway is almost 50...
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    At the present level of technology hybrids are more of a design exercise than a practical green vehicle. Just think of all the crap that goes into making one of those huge batteries and all the electronic controls. I gather a more traditional vehicle will have a lower environmental impact and longer service life over time.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    F the hybrid. The first time you have to replace the batteries you will want to kill yourself. I would look into a diesel of some kind, like a Jetta TDI. I don't know about the Toyota batteries specifically, but I do know from a good friend that a set of batteries for a Lexus is about $4000 every three-four years....The city mileage on a TDI in around 40+.....Highway is almost 50...

I'd like to, but we don't have too many diesel stations in NYC. I am also aware that the batteries will cost a lot of money, but driving around in the stop and go traffic of the city with a gasoline engine costs a lot of money too. A hybrid would be able to turn off the gasoline engine and run off the electric motor in the city.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    I'd like to, but we don't have too many diesel stations in NYC. I am also aware that the batteries will cost a lot of money, but driving around in the stop and go traffic of the city with a gasoline engine costs a lot of money too. A hybrid would be able to turn off the gasoline engine and run off the electric motor in the city.

Theoretically at least....When those batteries get low, the gas starts a-flow-in....I think sitting in traffic in NYC would do it....It would most likely wear out the batteries sooner as well, causing additional **** pain. I would rather hunt for diesel than replace batteries to the tune of $4000 a shot.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Theoretically at least....When those batteries get low, the gas starts a-flow-in....I think sitting in traffic in NYC would do it....It would most likely wear out the batteries sooner as well, causing additional **** pain. I would rather hunt for diesel than replace batteries to the tune of $4000 a shot.

Maybe a regular Camry then? It's just so hard to find diesel around here.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007

A regular Camry, maybe something else in that price range....The new Accord looks mighty nice, and I will admit I am biased towards VW, but the Jetta/Passats aren't out of the question either...
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    A regular Camry, maybe something else in that price range....The new Accord looks mighty nice, and I will admit I am biased towards VW, but the Jetta/Passats aren't out of the question either...

The only thing is that the regular V6 Camry gets 19mpg in the city, and the Nissan Altima Hybrid gets 35mpg in the city - almost double that of the Camry. Since most of the driving will be city driving, will you still lose money with the hybrid?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    I have the 4 cylinder Camry and absolutely love it. Got it in August 2004 and have over 85,000 miles. Only replaced brakes, tires and performed regular oil changes. I looked at the V6, but the price increase did not justify the performance. I have a manual 4 cylinder and it has enough "pop" for me not to want the V6.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    The question becomes will the money you save on gas outweigh the cost of replacing the batteries every two-four years? To be perfectly honest, who knows what kind of electrical problems this thing could have 5 or 6 years down the road? They haven't been around that long, and the technology is constantly evolving at this point....Who really knows at this point if these things could become an electrical shitstorm....
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    shawn474 wrote: »
    I have the 4 cylinder Camry and absolutely love it. Got it in August 2004 and have over 85,000 miles. Only replaced brakes, tires and performed regular oil changes. I looked at the V6, but the price increase did not justify the performance. I have a manual 4 cylinder and it has enough "pop" for me not to want the V6.

Shawn

Oh no, I didn't mean that the 4 cylinder isn't good, I was just using the V6 for comparative purposes.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    The question becomes will the money you save on gas outweigh the cost of replacing the batteries every two-four years? To be perfectly honest, who knows what kind of electrical problems this thing could have 5 or 6 years down the road? They haven't been around that long, and the technology is constantly evolving at this point....Who really knows at this point if these things could become an electrical shitstorm....

I don't know, but it seems like you will save a lot of money on gas when you are doing mostly city driving. Now will that outweigh the cost of owning a hybrid? Not sure.

But I like the fact that hybrids are good for the environment and I like new technology.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    I see it this way; if you can afford it and are aware of the problems that can come, go for it. Keep in mind that a 6.0L GTO gets 25 city if you drive like an old man....
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    I see it this way; if you can afford it and are aware of the problems that can come, go for it. Keep in mind that a 6.0L GTO gets 25 city if you drive like an old man....

I'm not sure about what problems might come up, as I don't know much about hybrids and the technology. However, Consumer Reports stated that the Toyota Prius was "exceptionally reliable" last year in their annual car survey.

What should I watch out for?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    I really don't know, but I would think that they have the potential to become an electrical hellhole when the mileage starts to pile up...The main reason I am so weary of a hybrid is because it is so new, there aren't many hi mileage examples to really see what happens to them, and what the ongoing cost is to keep them running....I really think 5-10 years from now they will be obsolete as well, as technology progresses.
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited November 2007
    I may be wrong but i seem to remember somewhere saying something about the pollutants made by the factory that makes the batteries were as bad if not worse than the projected amount that a car would create over it's lifespan.

I may be off and i cant remember where but i believe there was a debate on this here or somewhere else.

And yes i know i probably didnt help much, but thought i should throw that out there.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    Poee7R wrote: »
    I may be wrong but i seem to remember somewhere saying something about the pollutants made by the factory that makes the batteries were as bad if not worse than the projected amount that a car would create over it's lifespan.

I may be off and i cant remember where but i believe there was a debate on this here or somewhere else.

And yes i know i probably didnt help much, but thought i should throw that out there.

Dave

That is actually a good point, and what happens to the batteries after they go bad and are replaced?
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    That is a good point. But I'd think they would be recycled like most sealed lead-acid batteries and rechargeable batteries.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    I would think so too, but it would be interesting to look into...We all know there are some lees than honest service shops out there....
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    I would think so too, but it would be interesting to look into...We all know there are some lees than honest service shops out there....

Sure, I can see that might be the case. But they should be recycled.

Anyways, I'm still thinking if the nearly 2:1 ratio of a hybrid's city gas mileage is worth the extra cost (and maybe hassles down the road).

All I know for sure is that in large, crowded cities hybrids get the BEST gas mileage.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited November 2007
    Unless you mind rolling on two wheels. :D

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited November 2007
    You want to save money on gas? Get a Suzuki Swift from the mid 90's rated 45-50 MPG. I knew peopel with actual mileage numbers closer to 60 MPG.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    You want to save money on gas? Get a Suzuki Swift from the mid 90's rated 45-50 MPG. I knew peopel with actual mileage numbers closer to 60 MPG.

Same with a Geo metro.....Maybe you could have a commuter and rock the nice car on the weekends....
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007

I talked my dad out of a hybrid at this moment in time....for most of the reasons mentioned already in this thread...he got the Camry 4 banger and loves it.

Me, I came from a 4 banger ( Toyota 4x4 ) that lasted me almost 200K and still ran great when I sold it....to my new V8...hybrids better get a whole lot better for me to give up this power.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    Ride a bike if you are concerned about saving dough and going green.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited November 2007
    Your Dad must need a fleet of vehicles

trucks, jeeps, cars

Yet, as you have mentioned before --

Taxi's and trains are where its at..

I'm just saying...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    What about the new H2o car?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    Someone needs to check their numbers on teh warranty of the batteries on Hybrids. I remember hearing they were warrantied up to 100k miles.

I could be wrong on this, but I think replacement of the batteries is also a tax deductible thing with as gung ho the govt is about people supporting the technology......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.