So I thought I was going 2ch sooner rather than later....

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Apparently it is going to be later rather than sooner......

I bought my first item off Audiogon, a Jolida 502B tube amp. The seller shipped the item and send me the Fedex tracking information. Not really looking too hard at it, other than that the package was heading the right direction and the anticipated delivery date. The delivery date was supposed to be Saturday but nothing arrived. So I called Fedex yesterday, she told me she wasn't sure(she didn't seem sure about anything) and I recalled today to figure out what is going on. The lady on the phone told me it is definately lost because there is no record of it leaving the first facility in New York and the department will call me tomorrow because they aren't open on Sundays and Mondays.

Then, just a little while ago I noticed that the tracking information provided says the package weighes 20 pounds, which at the time I said seems about right however when I went to the Jolida side it says 39 pounds for the amplifier and 46 pounds packed. So there is no way, even if I received the package that it could possibly be the amplifier.

I tried calling the seller with the phone number he provided me and it just leads me to a big corporation. It's strange because the ad looked legit, he had the original receipt for it which he scanned into his computer and posted it with the ad, as well as the other information.

I filed a claim with paypal just to get that ball rolling but and I will try getting the ball rolling with fedex tomorrow but it doesn't matter anyway since ther eis no way the amp can be in that box.

Sorry for the long rant, but I was really excited about getting into a nice 2 channel setup and now it's going to be weeks before I see any of that money returned, if any at all.

:(:(:confused::(:(:confused::mad::mad:
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2007
    do you still have the ad?
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    he took it down since it was sold.

EDIT: just looked it up from the original email, says the listing expired
  • JimBRICK
    edited November 2007
    I hate scammers. I havent been hit yet but I feel for you dude.

this one looks good

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1200449832

you could get it for 525 shipped I'm sure. Paypal will get your money back
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    Did he have good feedback? Sorry this happened to you...
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    I hate scammers. I havent been hit yet but I feel for you dude.

this one looks good

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1200449832

I have no more money available for this system. This was it. If I lose the money on this I won't be having a 2ch system. The rest of the money I made from selling my speakers is paying off my schoolbooks and other bills for next semester.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    Did he have good feedback? Sorry this happened to you...

Yes, he had recent positive feedback for another Jolida amplifier he apparently sold.
  • wingnut4772
    edited November 2007
    Yes, he had recent positive feedback for another Jolida amplifier he apparently sold.

But just a couple or a lot of feedback?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    no not alot. Just a couple from selling personal stuff. He wasn't a business or anything.
  • wingnut4772
    edited November 2007
    no not alot. Just a couple from selling personal stuff. He wasn't a business or anything.

Well I hope it works out for you. Maybe Fedex will work it out.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2007
    Sorry to hear that; hope it turns out fine and you get your money back.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    Well I hope it works out for you. Maybe Fedex will work it out.

The problem is even if I get the package I know it won't be the amplifier. The package is listed at roughly 20 pounds and the amplifier weighs 39. I'm screwed either way at this point, probably a box of bricks.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that; hope it turns out fine and you get your money back.

Same here, I'm hoping I got that claim into before he was able to move the money out of his account and paypal tells me sorry we were unable to recover any of the funds.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2007
    If he has a Fedex account and did everything online and stated the weight wrong, Fedex will charge with the right weight, but will not update in the tracking info;

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • JimBRICK
    edited November 2007
    I have no more money available for this system. This was it. If I lose the money on this I won't be having a 2ch system. The rest of the money I made from selling my speakers is paying off my schoolbooks and other bills for next semester.

sorry to hear that dude. I've heard paypal is pretty good in situations like this. If theres a tracking number there must be a package out there somewhere coming to you. It'll get straightened out
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    If he has a Fedex account and did everything online and stated the weight wrong, Fedex will charge with the right weight, but will not update in the tracking info;

Alright, that's good to hear, and that is what I am hoping for.

However, the pulling of the audiogon ad, the bad cell phone number, just doesn't add up right now.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I would trust that FedEx weight at all. The HDMI switch I just bought from oppo said 23 pounds, which I knew at the time was wrong. Got it home and the package weighed just under 3 pounds - this was just last Thursday.

Did you send him an email to try to work it out?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    Yeah I would trust that FedEx weight at all. The HDMI switch I just bought from oppo said 23 pounds, which I knew at the time was wrong. Got it home and the package weighed just under 3 pounds - this was just last Thursday.

Did you send him an email to try to work it out?

Yes, no response. His previous emails were all responded within 10 minutes of me sending mine. And I also had that phone number which doesn't work.

I filed the claim with paypal to see if it can force a response out of him.

Now that you tell me about the weight thing I'm a bit less worried, but I would still like to get in contact with him. I left a message on the voicemail of that cell phone, but no return call yet.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    sorry to hear that dude. I've heard paypal is pretty good in situations like this. If theres a tracking number there must be a package out there somewhere coming to you. It'll get straightened out

There is a tracking number Jim. The problem is that the package mysteriously stopped being tracked according to fedex. It was picked up at their facility in New York then nothing else happened to it and it was already scheduled to be delivered on Saturday, yet now the tracking info shows no delivery date.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    The problem is even if I get the package I know it won't be the amplifier. The package is listed at roughly 20 pounds and the amplifier weighs 39. I'm screwed either way at this point, probably a box of bricks.

That's not entirely true bud, I know someone who just received an item that was shipped via FedEx and the weight was considerably less than the item actually was.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    That's not entirely true bud, I know someone who just received an item that was shipped via FedEx and the weight was considerably less than the item actually was.

25-30 pounds is ALOT to try and screw fedex by.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    Seller just responded after receiving the paypal claim
    Mark, that's how I get rate down to $25. Do not worry about package right now.
    They ship packages from Monday to Friday. So it's likely in Kinko now, not yet being moved.
    I never had package lost by Fedex. I guarantee you it's going to surface tomorrow.

Why do people do stupid **** like this? I would rather have paid the extra $$ he needed for shipping it truthfully than having to go through this crap.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    wait and see what shows up on your doorstep. if anything.. i hope it's the right tube amp in great condition.. and you can then rest again.

I would also think that FedEx would know the difference between 20 pounds and 46 pounds. that would raise a red flag. That's very dishonest on his part to dupe the shipping company like that.

best of luck dude.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited November 2007
    I wonder how much he put for $ value for insurance...probably not much to save a little coin. Hopefully it arrives safely.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    danger boy wrote:
    I would also think that FedEx would know the difference between 20 pounds and 46 pounds. that would raise a red flag. That's very dishonest on his part to dupe the shipping company like that.

This could also what is holding it up. If the guy simply dropped it off at a shipping location and only paid for 20# when it is closer to 50# they may be holding up shipment until they get paid for the proper shipping weight.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007

Same here...I just about freaked when I tracked one of my latest subwoofer drivers ( Last week as a matter of fact ) ....it showed 38 pounds ....when the last 2 I ordered were 70 pounds. I just "Knew " they sent the wrong driver...turns out it was the correct driver...just an incorrect weight tied to the tracking number.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    I agree it's very dishonest. I hope you guys are right and the correct amp in the correct condition arrives here. Been excited for a long time to get something like this and for soemthing to go wrong would be extremely disappointing.

And what I don't understand is how do you actually get away with doing something like that? I mean if he gets caught there are no fines or penalties against his account?
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    If bricks show up its criminal...not just fines or a slap on his account. Take pics of the sealed package as it was delivered...preferably right in front of the driver ...hell I would even open it in front of him....all of my drivers are more then happy to wait a minute or 2 if you explain the situation to them
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    If bricks show up its criminal...not just fines or a slap on his account. Take pics of the sealed package as it was delivered...preferably right in front of the driver ...hell I would even open it in front of him....all of my drivers are more then happy to wait a minute or 2 if you explain the situation to them

Good idea, I will probably do that if it arrives.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    The seller just called, wow I feel a bit of relief right now. He said he does this all the time with Fedex, and because he didn't give the heads up about it he is going to send a free pair of 6550 replacement tubes in the mail behind it. He also mentioned that when he bought the amplifier new Jolida put on subwoofer outputs for him so that leaves me the option to add a subwoofer to my 2ch rig later if I want.

Nice to have a little bit of relief, but the weight won't be lifted until it arrives here safely.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    Hopefully, you get the piece and it is in pristine condition. That being said, people complain about FedEx and UPS prices rising. Dishonest sellers like that one is precisely the reason why there are inflated shipping prices. Sketchy way to do business and somebody I would hardly trust for future purchases.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4