Week #11 NFL

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    But seriously, get over the running up the score thing. I love how the same guys who complain about the wussification of America are here complaining about running up the score just because it's the hated Patriots doing it.

You know, you say the same crap in every single thread where someone craps on your team. Ever notice how you can't honestly defend them when they run the ball on 4th down when they're up by 3-4 touchdowns?

All you can do is relate it to some other topic which has nothing to do with the Patriots penchant for having to seemingly prove something (what, I don't know) by throwing up garbage points week after week.

Keep playing the victim, you wear it almost as well as Cliff did.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    Dude, it's FOOTBALL, relax. And considering every week someone bellyaches about it, I just like to throw my support in for my team. What do you want me to say? "Yeah, I've been watching them since I was 4 years old with my dad, but now that they win by huge margins every week, I don't like them anymore." I'm not trying to be a victim, I understand the villain role, the Pats are villains. I've hated on teams in the past (the Colts just as recently as last year, probably) just like you guys are, and someone defended their favorite team when I did.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    The reason for them converting the 4th downs was because the only option would have been to kick a 25 or less yard field goal, so they figured rather than "PILING ON MORE POINTS" they would give the bills a chance to shut them down and stop all the points. BOTH times the Bills failed the pats went in for the touchdown to add 2 more scores on the board(the 14 between 35 adn 49).

Some of you people fail to realize that these professional players get played to play 4 quarters of football, not be taken out at the beginning of the 2nd half. You can't just stop playing the game. They get paid millions to play, not sit on the sideline and watch the 3rd and 4th string have a scrimmage. If the score ends up 80-10 so be it, the losing team can try harder next time.

The pats made a great call both times going for it on 4th and giving the bills a chance to stop more points and try and make the game closer. It just so happens they failed.

You guys are great at rationalizing all of this aren't you? Good lord....

Fail to realize they're professional athletes? You're just not thinking. They get paid millions because of their percieved talent level and what the various organizations feel that's worth. Nothing more.

There is a controversy every single year about playing these same athletes when playoffs are completely wrapped up for a particular team. Do you sit a guy and risk him getting rusty or do you play him and risk injury? There's an actual arguable philosophy there.

There's no reason to leave that same investment on the field when a game is in hand. None. That's why the only answer we get from your coach is "Uh, what did you want us to do, kick a field goal?"

Yes, ****, kick a goddamn field goal. Like every other team does when their team is blowing out an opponent.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    The reason for them converting the 4th downs was because the only option would have been to kick a 25 or less yard field goal, so they figured rather than "PILING ON MORE POINTS" they would give the bills a chance to shut them down and stop all the points. BOTH times the Bills failed the pats went in for the touchdown to add 2 more scores on the board(the 14 between 35 adn 49).

Some of you people fail to realize that these professional players get played to play 4 quarters of football, not be taken out at the beginning of the 2nd half. You can't just stop playing the game. They get paid millions to play, not sit on the sideline and watch the 3rd and 4th string have a scrimmage. If the score ends up 80-10 so be it, the losing team can try harder next time.

The pats made a great call both times going for it on 4th and giving the bills a chance to stop more points and try and make the game closer. It just so happens they failed.

Exactly...kicking the field goal would have been uncalled for....going on 4th down and giving them a chance to stop them scoreless was a much better option.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    You guys are great at rationalizing all of this aren't you? Good lord....

Fail to realize they're professional athletes? You're just not thinking. They get paid millions because of their percieved talent level and what the various organizations feel that's worth. Nothing more.

There is a controversy every single year about playing these same athletes when playoffs are completely wrapped up for a particular team. Do you sit a guy and risk him getting rusty or do you play him and risk injury? There's an actual arguable philosophy there.

There's no reason to leave that same investment on the field when a game is in hand. None. That's why the only answer we get from your coach is "Uh, what did you want us to do, kick a field goal?"

Yes, ****, kick a goddamn field goal. Like every other team does when their team is blowing out an opponent.

Why put more points on the on the board when you're giving the team a perfect opportunity to shut them down and stop all points, even the measly 3 from the field goal?

You aren't thinking by saying they would have been better off kicking the field goal and 100% putting more points on the board. Then we really would have been accused of piling on the points. I think it's a 100% better decision to go for it on 4th down and give the opposing team a chance to stop all scores and even land some decent field position.

And you think it's ok to take these players out after the first half? Have you forgotten that not only these players get paid to play, they get paid to entertain. No one wants to watch half a game of professional football on primetime with the patriots playing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th string players. It's not why we pay for for HD sports channels.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    Dude, it's FOOTBALL, relax. And considering every week someone bellyaches about it, I just like to throw my support in for my team. What do you want me to say? "Yeah, I've been watching them since I was 4 years old with my dad, but now that they win by huge margins every week, I don't like them anymore." I'm not trying to be a victim, I understand the villain role, the Pats are villains. I've hated on teams in the past (the Colts just as recently as last year, probably) just like you guys are, and someone defended their favorite team when I did.

I think it's you Pats fans that need to relax.....

If you'll re-read all of the posts, BaggedLancer opened the can up without any provocation. After that ONE guy mentions he likes more competitive games and suddely it's the poor Patriots, they just don't get any respect. :rolleyes:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I can and have appreciated dominance by teams I didn't like because of a rivalry. The Patriots aren't a team I have any rivalry, not to mentione they're not even in a conference I care about.

They're not a likable or admirable team. Sorry....

I don't wish ill on people, but I do wonder if Brady/Moss went down when it was 31-0 in the 2nd half how many Pats fans would go nuts about it as opposed to just shrugging their shoulders saying "eh, it happens."
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited November 2007
    bobman, captured my thoughts exactly.

I also don't really have an issue with them running up the score, at least not from an ethical standpoint. Hey, you're clearly better than the other team, why not go ahead and humiliate them in the process. It's probably not the most classy thing, but I certainly wouldn't call it wrong. I do have a couple observations to share though::

1 - It helps create, or at least foster, the perception that the team lacks any class or humulity. I personally don't have an issue with this, because honestly, you don't have any reason to be humble. You're clearly the best out there, so why not just go beat up on everyone? I'm okay with it, but understand how some people may not be. You're right, it's professional sports, not a Juniors flag football game. You just have to realize that alot of people won't like it and it's going to give you that image - Belichick realizes this, and obviously doesn't care, so what's to discuss really?

2 - Be careful though, because one day you're going to do it one too many times, and someone on the other side of the ball is going to get pissed and take one of your guys out. Is that the right thing to do, of course not, but human nature is going to take over at some point, and it only has to happen once. You've got 22 guys out on the field all hocked up on god knows what with adreneline pumping, and 11 of those guys are being humiliated. 99.9% everyone is going to keep things in perspective and realize it's just a game, but there's going to be that one guy who loses his temper, and decides he's going to take out Brady's knee or something - and it only takes once for that to happen. yeah that's always a risk in sports, but that risk becomes elevated when you run up the score on people. Wasn't it hanesworth of the Titans that did that last year to someone? What if someone takes that a step further and decides to go ahead and take out Brady for the rest of the season. No offense (pun?, but you guys ain't going to the Super Bowl without brady.

For some fans like myself, it loses some of the excitement. One of the things I don't like about college football is the blowouts, it's hard to watch a game when there's no competition and the outcome is never in question. Sure I'm happy because my team wins, but I don't enjoy watching the game as much. Since I have no tangible connection to the team, the mere fact of them winning does nothing for me. What's exciting is to see them duking it out in a hard fought battle.

To me, watching the patriots play is like watching the Sixth Sense. I already know what's gonna happen at the end, so what's the point?
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    Why put more points on the on the board when you're giving the team a perfect opportunity to shut them down and stop all points, even the measly 3 from the field goal?

You aren't thinking by saying they would have been better off kicking the field goal and 100% putting more points on the board. Then we really would have been accused of piling on the points. I think it's a 100% better decision to go for it on 4th down and give the opposing team a chance to stop all scores and even land some decent field position.

And you think it's ok to take these players out after the first half? Have you forgotten that not only these players get paid to play, they get paid to entertain. No one wants to watch half a game of professional football on primetime with the patriots playing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th string players. It's not why we pay for for HD sports channels.

You're acting as if I am saying the scrubs shouldn't run plays. Are they passing the damn ball or are they running the clock down with draw plays? I've watched the games and they aren't running clock....

If they managed to march 75 yards down the field with draw plays, by all means, kick a field goal.

Like I said, you're rationalizing all of this because you're a fan.

Yes, it's more than okay to take these players out after the first half. They don't get paid to entertain or play 4 quarters of football. They get paid to help their team win games. The goal is to win, not see how many points you can run the score up on the other team.

I guess you and I are different. I love watching my QB get benched for destroying another team.
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    I think it's you Pats fans that need to relax.....

If you'll re-read all of the posts, BaggedLancer opened the can up without any provocation. After that ONE guy mentions he likes more competitive games and suddely it's the poor Patriots, they just don't get any respect. :rolleyes:

Well, from my standpoint, I think the Pats get a LOT of respect, at least from the media, I just think they're also vilified a little bit because of their overexposure. Look, most of what people, yourself included, say about them is TRUE - they run up the score, Belichick has a horrible attitude to the media - but because they're so prominent I think it's all exaggerated a little bit.

As for your last point, sure, we'd all be mortified if Brady went down because he was in too long, and we'd deserve it; that's the risk you take leaving your starters in (Brady was taken out a little bit into the fourth quarter last night, btw). If the Pats are willing to accept the risk of injury to their starters, then we all just hope it works out. If it doesn't ... then we got what we deserved, right?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    You're acting as if I am saying the scrubs shouldn't run plays. Are they passing the damn ball or are they running the clock down with draw plays? I've watched the games and they aren't running clock....

If they managed to march 75 yards down the field with draw plays, by all means, kick a field goal.

Like I said, you're rationalizing all of this because you're a fan.

This past week they were running the clock and the bills were still failing to shut them down. Maroney was running through holes big enough for a school bus to fit there. The passing game was shut off early.
    Yes, it's more than okay to take these players out after the first half. They don't get paid to entertain or play 4 quarters of football. They get paid to help their team win games. The goal is to win, not see how many points you can run the score up on the other team.

I guess you and I are different. I love watching my QB get benched for destroying another team.

It may be OK for you, but not for the millions of other fans that just watch their game to see their favorite player(Brady for 90% of women) play football, not sit on the bench. You are right they don't get paid to entertain, but they certain do need people to actually watch the game. People would stop going to games if you pulled the starting players in the first half, no one goes to a game to see the scrubs play a scrimmage.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007

As for your last point, sure, we'd all be mortified if Brady went down because he was in too long, and we'd deserve it; that's the risk you take leaving your starters in (Brady was taken out a little bit into the fourth quarter last night, btw). If the Pats are willing to accept the risk of injury to their starters, then we all just hope it works out. If it doesn't ... then we got what we deserved, right?

He was pulled 2 plays into the 4th when we had the 4th down conversion then the touchdown. More than acceptable to pull him then and let the rest of the players play.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    Well, from my standpoint, I think the Pats get a LOT of respect, at least from the media, I just think they're also vilified a little bit because of their overexposure. Look, most of what people, yourself included, say about them is TRUE - they run up the score, Belichick has a horrible attitude to the media - but because they're so prominent I think it's all exaggerated a little bit.

Since I find you to be a pretty rational person, yes. I know that generally speaking that's now what we'd be hearing from your run of the mill Pats fans.

I'll stop beating the horse now. Thanks for indulging me in **** talking for another week. :)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited November 2007
    I think you may be missing the point overall. It's not really the totals points that people are looking at, it's the games as a whole. Everyone know that you're going to make it when you go for it on 4th down - anyone watching the game, there was no question in their mind. So yeah, you're 'technically' giving them another chance to stop you, but everyone knows what you're really doing, humiliating them on their own field.

Again, i don't think it's really wrong, I just feel like they could maybe do a bit more to exhibit some class.

I understand the position though, I mean when you're just clearly THAT much better, what are you supposed to do - just turn the ball over on downs, run down to the 1 yard line then stop and hand it to the other team? Then people would be saying that you're humiliating them by not 'treating the like men'. I GET all that, I just think there may be other ways to handle it.

Having said that, yes I think kicking the field goals last night would have been the better route. That's what I would have done, personally.
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    Since I find you to be a pretty rational person

You haven't been paying attention, have you?

;)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    I think you may be missing the point overall. It's not really the totals points that people are looking at, it's the games as a whole. Everyone know that you're going to make it when you go for it on 4th down - anyone watching the game, there was no question in their mind. So yeah, you're 'technically' giving them another chance to stop you, but everyone knows what you're really doing, humiliating them on their own field.

Again, i don't think it's really wrong, I just feel like they could maybe do a bit more to exhibit some class.

I understand the position though, I mean when you're just clearly THAT much better, what are you supposed to do - just turn the ball over on downs, run down to the 1 yard line then stop and hand it to the other team? Then people would be saying that you're humiliating them by not 'treating the like men'. I GET all that, I just think there may be other ways to handle it.

Having said that, yes I think kicking the field goals last night would have been the better route. That's what I would have done, personally.

That being said the score would have been 35 + 3 + 3 + 7

Therefore it would be 48-10 and we'd still be accused of racking up the score. It's a lose lose situation for Pats fans, you can't just stop playing the game after the first half.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited November 2007
    I'll virtually guarantee that some vital member of the Pats is going to have a serious cheap-shot injury because of the piling on of points.

That being said, the Colts did expose the Pats one weakness, a strong pass rush can slow their offense down. Freeney and Mathias had Brady playing like a human being. If I'm a defensive coordinator, I'd come up with the most original pass rush schemes possible. Don't even worry about the run, its the Pats passing game that kills teams.

I with Demi, etc., I despise self servers like Moss and T.O. Give me Hines Ward, Rod Smith, etc. wide out who actually block and believe in team first.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    It may be OK for you, but not for the millions of other fans that just watch their game to see their favorite player(Brady for 90% of women) play football, not sit on the bench. You are right they don't get paid to entertain, but they certain do need people to actually watch the game. People would stop going to games if you pulled the starting players in the first half, no one goes to a game to see the scrubs play a scrimmage.

Spoiled much? You think it's a regular occurance where a team dishes out beatdowns like this year after year? Reality check, dood, someday the Pats are going to blow monkey **** like every other team in the NFL has. You'll long for the days your QB was benched at halftime for beating the other time like a redheaded stepchild.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    Seahawks are turning it around a bit now. They got Branch back and have their "blue man group" back in action. Matt's looking good. Running still hurting a bit but is Alexander can get that damn cast off it might change. Might be looking good going into the playoffs, could be a good "peaking at the right time" condition.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
  • Systems
    edited November 2007
    Alert!!!!

^^ I love your quoted comments, you have perfectly defined my opinion of you and your thread troll of my posts. Makes me warm and fuzzy that you spend that much time thinking about me.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Lol!!! Great!!!
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited November 2007
    Been a Cowboys fan ever since I stepped foot in Texas. Yesterday, the secondary made me very nervous, especially with the Packers coming up next.

Patriots play like my Madden franchise team. Total domination.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    Spoiled much? You think it's a regular occurance where a team dishes out beatdowns like this year after year? Reality check, dood, someday the Pats are going to blow monkey **** like every other team in the NFL has. You'll long for the days your QB was benched at halftime for beating the other time like a redheaded stepchild.

Sorry, I don't think I'll ever long for those days. Nor do I think I'm spoiled much. Nor do I think it's a regular occurance the way the patriots are playing.

Seems you have a bit of a misunderstanding of me. Sorry about that.
  • Systems
    edited November 2007
    Sorry, I don't think I'll ever long for those days. Nor do I think I'm spoiled much. Nor do I think it's a regular occurance the way the patriots are playing.

I shut that game down at what was it 55 to 10? That team is absolutely amazing to watch, you gotta admit it. No matter what you think of the team, they just trounce their opponents like they were high school teams.

But I’m still expecting some teams to take pot shots at their players.

But I dont think think anyone could even break through their offensice line to hit Brady... amazing.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQdVPbtTFow&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQdVPbtTFow&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQdVPbtTFow&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQdVPbtTFow&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I guess I'm a bit confused here, if you are comparing me to him you really don't understand how many levels of wrong you are....

Good luck to you though, since we could argue this topic for weeks and neither of us will change our stance....you continue to watch your NFL team, I will continue to watch mine. End of story.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    Seahawks are turning it around a bit now. They got Branch back and have their "blue man group" back in action. Matt's looking good. Running still hurting a bit but is Alexander can get that damn cast off it might change. Might be looking good going into the playoffs, could be a good "peaking at the right time" condition.

I am by no means a football expert, but IMO, the longer Alexander is out, the better. Morris just hits the hole harder. Its no coincidence, or luck, that the games with Morris in, have yielded better results.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    Hey, I am all for congratulating the other team for a game well played....but at the end of this monday night game I thought Cutler and Young were going to kiss :confused:
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    I am by no means a football expert, but IMO, the longer Alexander is out, the better. Morris just hits the hole harder. Its no coincidence, or luck, that the games with Morris in, have yielded better results.

Yeah, I'm not too upset Alexander being out, but don't forget the return of DJ Hackett adding a whole heckuva lot to the table. Three big games so far and is making Hasselback look pretty good.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2007
    Broncos Win!! Woot!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D