Starbucks Christmas Blend

Mike682
Mike682 Posts: 2,074
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Picked up a pound last night and brewed some this morning.

Very good coffee with nice aroma and medium body. Highly recommend
Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
Mains: polk R30
Center: polk CSi3
Rear Surrounds: polk R20
Subwoofer: polk PSW404
DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
Post edited by Mike682 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2007
    Yes excellent coffee. it has a very good bite to it. **** now I have to go out and get a cup
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007
    My wife and I throw that crap out, my wife said that was like $15 wasted. But should add we're not Starbucks fans, they make awful coffee IMO. They make some nice $4 coffee specialties but for coffee it sucks.

Now Barnie's White Christmas is Good Coffee if you can find it. :) I just may have to find some of this brew.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    My wife and I throw that crap out, my wife said that was like $15 wasted. But should add we're not Starbucks fans, they make awful coffee IMO. They make some nice $4 coffee specialties but for coffee it sucks.

Their coffee is mediocre at best IMO, but that no doubt is because I drink mine as black as they come and Kenya AA is where my heart is. I really think their coffee is designed to be augmented by the stuff they put in it.

That said, I'm glad you enjoy it! No doubt my coffee would taste like motor oil to you :D

Gonna stock up this season?
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    This coffee subject comes up at work sometimes... It's felt among us that Starbucks coffee is for the under 35 group where anything else is for the above 35 group.

I tell you what if it wasn't for the Gen X people Starbucks would have fallen on it's face in a heartbeat.

Sorry to beat on your Starbucks love.

Feel free to continue on.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    i don't drink coffee or espresso, or latte's, or anything that's made with coffee, or coffee flavoring. i basically hate all things associated with coffee.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited November 2007
    Gevalia coffee is hard to beat and not too terribly expensive. Had a nice pot (french press) of Mocha Java this morning and will start drinking the Holiday Blend after Turkey Day.

We have Starbucks Breakfast blend at work so I don't tend to buy Starbucks for home use. I get sick of Starbucks if I drink it too often. We have a nice Kona blend at work also I alternate between.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Mike682 wrote: »

Does it give that great Starbucks jolt?
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    Mike682 wrote: »

Ya, I pick up a bag of full Xmas blend beans every year for home. This is the only time of year I drop a lot of money at SB, I cant get away from the Eggnog drinks. Most the time durring the year I stop in maybe a few times a week for a $2 drip.

I think the Xmas blend is just about the best they have besides the Columbia.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited November 2007
    Love Starbucks and it's goofy 'barristas' and patrons. If you are on the road, and operate on caffein, it's like a beacon calling you home. It's also a good way to wean yourself off meth. Has just a bit less kick. Green Mountain for home use.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Bubba -NJ
    Bubba -NJ Posts: 45
    edited November 2007
    It's one of my wife's favorite coffees , usaually get about 5 lbs every year around the holidays . I think it's decent . The place for really good coffee to us is intelligentsia.com . Great selection from around the world .
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    A note on StarBucks. My brother visited Costa Rica last year and went on a lil adventure to a large coffee plantation. The plantation owner was talking about how all of their best product gets shipped out to the world and the low/medium quality beans stick around for the local country. He was telling my brother how SB actually buys the medium quality stock unlike most exporters *who get the higher quality stuff). Thought that was pretty funny. Explains how every so often I get a skunky blend in my daily drip :)

I still like SB better then most coffee I drink. It can be over roasted sometimes but over all I’m usually never dissatisfied. Lot better then the free crud at work that I get stuck using in my personal maker at work. When I put SB beans in it, still tastes good.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited November 2007
    Peet's is where it's at
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    Starbucks is horrible coffee IMO. One of the ladies in the office brought some in and started making the office coffee with it. Nearly started a riot. People were complaining about the terrible coffee. She was absolutely dumbfounded that not everyone thought it was "The best coffee ever".
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Mike682
    edited November 2007
    Starbucks coffee is definitely not for everyone. My wife hates the stuff, but actually enjoys the Christmas blend this year. I really like Starbucks better when I brew it at home. I use half the recommended amount of grind (1tbsp vs 2tbsp per cup) and it comes out much better with no burnt taste to it.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    I never had their coffee at home, I've had it made at the store and thought it was pretty damned good but I use a sweetener and cream. We bought boxes of it to the GA Polkfest and it seemed to go as fast as the booze!:D I do know that it definitely gets the heart kick started.
  • Mike682
    edited November 2007
    oh yeah hearingimpared, to answer the question earlier, the Christmas blend does have a nice kick to it

As for buying Starbucks, I usually grab a cup at Starbucks on the way to work in the mornings to save time and then make my own at home on the weekends.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    Joe we're all drunk ;)

But for the record I didn't remember touching it myself... But if you seen me please take above in account. :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    I like coffee that makes me break out in a sweat!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Joe we're all drunk ;)

But for the record I didn't remember touching it myself... But if you seen me please take above in account. :)

LOL! I got a kick out of the really drunk guys.:D
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    The only kick I remember of Christmas Blend was.....

Tiger Piss.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    Must agree, Starbucks does not do it for me either. Way over priced for well below average coffee.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    It would be overpriced EVEN IF IT WAS GOOD coffee.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • janmike
    edited November 2007
    shack wrote: »

TRUE.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    TRUE.

Hey now I thought you liked the Starbucks we drank at Polkfest.
  • janmike
    edited November 2007
    Hey now I thought you liked the Starbucks we drank at Polkfest.

I had one of those Ice Cap things. Never drank any of the coffee.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • janmike
    edited November 2007
    Joe, I had a hard time drinking coffee in 90+ degree weather. HOT LIKE HELL. :D
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    Joe, I had a hard time drinking coffee in 90+ degree weather. HOT LIKE HELL. :D

LOL I forgot about that. I drink hot coffee all day, all night. . . 30 to 110 degrees it doesn't matter. Could be why my butt hole is always so tight around here WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
  • janmike
    edited November 2007
    I drink it like that as well but it really hits the spot when it is -40 outside.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    shack wrote: »

Like it or hate it, I have to dispel the myth that Starbucks is overpriced. Their "specialty" foo foo drinks are overpriced, for sure, but their coffee is average price. Dunkin Donuts is the gold standard of the working class coffee for most New ENglanders; a medium coffee at Starbucks is a few cents LESS than a medium coffee at Dunks. The difference is no one ever just gets coffee at Buckys.

As for me, I gotta be in the mood for Starbucks... it's much stronger and more flavorful than most coffees.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    it's much stronger and more flavorful than most coffees.

. . . and makes your ears ring!