No more HO HO HO

124»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Come on Dennis, you're not stupid. It had nothing to do with the fact that he dressed like a prisoner. It had to do with the fact the he colored his white skin to make it look like he was a black man & added a dredlock wig to boot.
    SOoooooooooo, what you are saying is that I cannot dress up like Bob Marley on Halloween without offending someone and being called a "racist"?

Whatever.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    SOoooooooooo, what you are saying is that I cannot dress up like Bob Marley on Halloween without offending someone and being called a "racist"?

Whatever.

People have always been offended by stuff. What the hot button is has shifted. Human nature.
    There was a time that "blackface" performing
    was normal. It was, for the most part, vey racist and demeaning.
    I can't blame anyone for wanting it to go away. Unfortunately,
    anything that even hints of it is frowned upon.

Rule of thumb: if what you're doing would show up on page one of
    the local newspaper and cause you, your family, or employer
    embarrassment, DON"T DO IT!
    We all have grown up with stuff like SNL and Comedy Central.
    We often forget not long ago this stuff would NOT have been
    allowed on the air.

The term "HO" has taken on a like of it's own. I don't get the
    "thug" culture, or why Hollywood and tv have embraced it.
    Shouldn't we all aspire to better ideals?

Not long ago some of that stuff would of earned you a knuckle sandwich if you said
    it around someone's wife or daughter. Now it's normal.
    On the positive side, many ethnic groups no longer have to worry
    about not be allowed to be part of American society.
    You have to take the good with the bad. Welcome to 2007.
    The real test for the future is being offended by stuff that really
    matters. Not what Santa says.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited November 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »

Whatever.

I have to agree on this one. For crying out loud, it was a halloween party. How far do we have to read into things??? I'm sure people could be offended by things 24/7 if they looked hard enough. Boy, what would have happened if a black guy came dressed as a white prisoner? Hmmmmmm! A racist costume I ask you...or just a simple halloween get up. Nothing more, nothing less. Thers's just too muck PC bull polluting us.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    Suckstobeme gets it. Some of the rest of you deliberately choose not to, which has resulted in my respect for you just went right on down the toilet!

I'm out!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Rule of thumb: if what you're doing would show up on page one of the local newspaper and cause you, your family, or employer embarrassment, DON"T DO IT!

This is true for crimes but the liberal media will make a mountain out of molehill to push the PC agenda. So you could end up on the front page for just speaking the truth about something in public and they will plaster it all over the front pages as racism or fundamentalism or a dozen other goofy things. The thing is after is has been proven that they are wrong you NEVER see them post up a retraction or apology.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Suckstobeme gets it. Some of the rest of you deliberately choose not to, which has resulted in my respect for you just went right on down the toilet!

I'm out!
    I'm actually offended that your offended. WTF is wrong with dressing up in a costume to portray Bob? How in the hell did it go from me liking Mr. Marley, wearing his shirts, following his and his family's history, reading his books and digging his music and choosing to wear a costume of him for halloween become racist and offensive?

I have proudly worn a Bob Marley costume for halloween and I'm sure that I'll do it again. As far as repect / toilet? Works both ways dear.

Treitz3, the offensive racist. :rolleyes:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~