"grilles"

HBombToo
HBombToo Posts: 5,256
edited November 2002 in Troubleshooting
These were done with the grilles on and off, and it was noted that the sound was a bit clearer without the grilles.

was said...

My Q is how dos a grill have an impact on what we hear?

H:rolleyes:
***WAREMTAE***
Post edited by HBombToo on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2002
    Dude few speakers sound better with grills off.I tried this age old test for years........it's because you see the drivers you get all juiced up....or something like that....try it for your self with your own speakers.........

My Lsi 15's sound breath taking with or without grills........I don't hear any tonal shift.......I didn't notice a change on my rt1000's.........I tried...........no go.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited November 2002
    The only way to really test this is to be blindfolded, and have someone else take the grilles off or put them on with you having no idea which is which.
    See if your eyes aren't influencing your ears.

-Luc
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2002
    Thats exactly my point...good call
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2002
    "Dude few speakers sound better with grills off.I tried this age old test for years........it's because you see the drivers you get all juiced up....or something like that....try it for your self with your own speakers......... " - Mantis

I dont disagree with u or nething, and i know u know what ur talking about..but i have heard speakers that sound 50000000000 times better with the grills off...IE: 1989 Klipsch Chorus, with the very thick clothe grills, the sound is night and day with the grills on and off...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    Matt Polk brought this up when the question was asked at the Listening Night I went to. He stated that the Grills on the Lsi series are designed to have a minimal impact on sound reproduction. If you have the Lsi's, pull the grills and look at the design compared to the RT line up or any others for that matter. You'll see the frames are beveled to minimize distortion.

As for me, I do not hear any difference with the grills in place on my Lsi's, but the difference on my "old" Rt800's has quite noticable.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Frank is right IMO. The LSi grills are designed for minimal impact, and I really can't hear a difference.

The grills on my R40's, that was a different case, and that's no BS. The fact is, that most grills are made of fabric and they sit between the speakers and your ears. So of course they have an effect on the sound. Wether or not you can hear it is up to you. Just remember, the heavier and thicker the fabric, the more it's going to interfere with the sound.

It's not like putting ear muffs on, but it will muddy up the highs a little at least (this is what happened with my R40's).