Comments

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2007
    Most definitely in. This would be perfect for my super cramped apartment.

Update is the way to go: get rid of the 7's since the 9's are that much better and try to rethink the 25's in a way that doesn't use their built in sub-amp.

Personally, I'd get rid of the gloss finish since it has never appealed to me for some reason (perhaps from all the fingerprints I wiped off). Maybe thin out the wood on the sides and apply it to the other planes for a more wooden like effect. I dunno.

I like their sound and their staging in two channel. Keep it at least as good and you'll keep me happy.

May I just mention how awesome Polk is for offering this up for karma? Thanks Polk!
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited November 2007
    Count me in please.......

You've got to update/expand all lines to stay relevant in the instant marketing mode of internet review/gossip/forum/direct sale world that we live in. Keeping the LSi line as is with the tiny cosmetic upgrade that was made a few years back is basically sitting still in this fast pace environment. I think a revamp of current offerings, or a reference line above them is imperative. I do like the idea of micro offerings of the best quality components as many are currently doing.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2007
    In

I personally would be more interested in a series above the LSi in performance than seeing a generally good product messed around with. I'd love to see Polk's version of a WAF is no factor, performance first product. Something big and ugly. Something that looks like a car door and sounds like magic.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited November 2007
    NOT in, but one heck of a nice kharma !

A number of posters have mentioned that they haven't had the opportunity to listen to the Lsi's in person.
    Include me in that bunch, and that is a major change I'd suggest for the Lsi series: Marketing/merchandising.
    At their price level (which definitely isn't excessive and has an excellent price/performance ratio), most users are going to want to listen before buying. Somehow, and I don't know how and it must not be easy, a way has to be found to get the Lsi's out on the sales floor.
    I personally like their looks, and I believe if others have a chance to see them, they'll at least auditon them. Once that happens, sales happen and everybody wins.

I'd keep the Lsi series basically as it is, with perhaps a few tweaks.
    Mazeroth mentioned tightening up the quality of the bass on the Lsi15s.
    The Vifa XT25 tweeter has an excellent rep, by all accounts, so keep it.
    Polk bass rep, however, isn't on par with the rest of their drivers. Not that they're bad, mind you, but the focus hasn't been on the lower end, apparently.
    Work on that aspect.
    Offer, as StrongBad mentioned, a tower/sub option. Gives the end user a choice; go with a juiced Polk Lsi designed sub or use your own. That gives folks who are working their way up the food chain a viable means for getting there. "I'll get the Lsi towers now, and use my own sub until next year when I get the awesome Polk Lsi sub".

Don't concentrate so much on re-vamping the Lsi line. Tweak, as I mentioned, but instead work on a line ABOVE the Lsi line
    that'll be jaw-dropping. This will come with a corresponding jump in price, to be sure, but that will help solidy Polk's rep as
    a "HI-fi" company, not "MID-fi".
    Sal Palooza
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited November 2007
    In please.

I believe the lsi series should be updated. There should be a dedicated 2 channel lsi series comprised of 2 separate monitor and 2 powered subwoofers ala rt3000p as well as a 7.2 channel surround sound system for high resolution multichannel surround sound found in sacd/dvd-a and in the new hd dvd formats.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    In please.

I would like to keep the LSi line up just as is.... but then come up with a new LSi V2 that would be similar but utilizing the best parts... a no holds barred LSi V2 with top notch drivers and crossovers that no expense is spared. I also agree the cab needs to be updated.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • G-2
    G-2 Posts: 533
    edited November 2007
    In Please,

We couldn't be more pleased with our LSi's. Perhaps in another year they can start looking at changes! Thanks!
    Home Theater
    Chane
    A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5|Pioneer Elite - VSX-84TXSi-AVR|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|
    Ultrasonic Amp Stand|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|

2 - Channel
    Polk
    RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
    Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
    Premier Rack|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2007
    In please.
    I think a a tweak or so with the side firing subs may be in order,
    Great Karma--thanks. :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited November 2007
    Not in since I just won some karma, but I'd appreciate a revamp on the aesthetics side of things for the LS series. I've only heard them in stores, so I could only dream of what they sound like (properly amplified) in one's own home :)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2007
    I AM IN In my opinion from what I have heard they can upgrade there tweeters to something that dosent sound like its comming from a bookshelf speaker. Just my two cents
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited November 2007
    IN please

"Do you think the LSi line should be updated, upgraded or completely overhauled?"

Absolutely. These speakers have served their purpose I would like to see polk come out with another line in the similar fashion as the LSi's. BTW- I love my LSI 7's. Best speakers ever!!
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    *bump* (I'm digging some of the ideas)

And:

I really dig Russ' RLC idea as a replacement for the LSiC/9.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    In please.

I think Polk needs to concentrate on the wood veneers of the speaker and make them absolutely gorgeous. Audio guys are getting killed by the WAF. The LSI speakers should both look and sound like a million bucks. Maybe an LSI Z06 edition needs to be offered for the audiophile with substantially upgraded performance. Chevy needs the Corvette to sell the Cobalts. Polk needs a new/better/very-impressive Flagship speaker.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2007
    IN PLEASE,

I believe the speakers are fine. 3 changes are needed. change the finishes. (more real wood vaneers) Also to work on the efficiency of the speakers. For being a powered speaker they stiull need a ton of power to make them rock and roll. Also make them a few inches wider they tend to be a little tippy.

thanks
    Jim
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited November 2007
    Definately in... my 50" Pio Plasma in the family room is nekid since I got rid of the RTi100s that flanked it! ;) (You guessed it, the WAF factor!)

I have LSi15s, LSiC, and four LC65is in a dedicated theater, and they sound fantastic. I do think they are a bit underwhelming in the looks category though. I like to run my front soundstage "grill-less," and so I think the LSi series could stand to have a cosmetic overhaul.

I would love to see an LSi speaker with multiple drivers on the front, no side-firing woofer. I love the wood sides on the LSi15, but I would like to see it go all the way to the top. A five driver LSi15, with wood sides similar to the current style that go all the way to the top, and are offered in different finishes would be great.

I actually really like the piano black fronts, looks very rich. NO holes on the face of the speaker, so you would probably need magnetic grills. Change the color of the driver as well, the blue driver looks a bit dated... NO SILVER!

I would also love to see a four driver LSiC, with a wood panel on the top, mainly to reduce light reflection from my projector screen!

These are the kinds of things that would lead me to buy new LSis...
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2007
    Awesome Karma, not in.

Short answer: Update and upgrade at the same time. Complete overhaul is not needed. If going that far, introduce a new top tier line and just refresh the LSi.

It's good to leave a good thing alone, but if we could make a good thing better then I'm all bout it.

Clean up the bass accross the board. Work on the imaging (can be difficult to place properly to get a wide soundstage, too center focused), overall just make them sound better. If they're 4.5 stars right now, make 'em 5 star speakers. They are freaking awesome speakers as they are, so if those types of changes would be cost prohibitive to polk and to the consumer, then keep them as they are with maybe a cosmetic refresh.

Additional wood finishes, maybe the ability to remove/change the wood panels - although I'm sure they need to be securely coupled to the enclosure. MAPLE people, MAPLE.

And for heaven's sake, DONT put ANY silver or metalic accents that everyone is using these days.

Give us something *special* - LSiS (signature?). Something out of the ordinary... something limited... one of those best kept secrets in audio that tells everyone else to eff off because this is how it's done.

Whatever happened to that ribbon tweeter?
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    In please.

After owning the 7s and 9s and hearing the 15s, I'd say I'd definitely go away from the side-firing woofer in the 15s and 25s(way to tricky in the placement department for most anyone). The 9s were by far my pick of the bunch. So, update/upgrade the bookshelves and completely overhaul the floorstanders. And I also agree with offering some exotic woods.

I'd like to see a line above the LSi series and get back to a passive radiator design or even see Polk dabble with acoustic suspension. I've never really liked the bass in ported designs.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited November 2007
    Not in ---

But I would like to see a MTM tower design... no woofers ---
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited November 2007
    I would love to be in.

I think they need to change the Lsi's. My biggest issue with them is the side firing woofer. I understand it thins the look of the speaker but the same could be done with multiple small diameter woofers in the front. Plus this would tighten up the boomy sound I hear from them.

I agree with phuz. they need to open the soundstage up or make them easier to place in a room. They seem very dependent on walls to get there sound out.

I also think they need to make them more reciever friendly. Get them into the 6ohm range instead of the 4 and under they are now.

I would also like to see other finishes for them or maybe even endcap them with real wood veneers.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jamesguthrie
    jamesguthrie Posts: 39
    edited November 2007
    In please.

I think the LSi series should be updated. It's perhaps the best-reviewed product line Polk has had (at least in the decade I've been following the company's product line), so you don't want to mess too much with it. But consumers' ideas about aesthetics do change over time. One idea I had is interchangeable side panels that run the full height of the speaker. With some more exotic wood choices, you could have something that resembles a Salk or Sonus Faber product, which might attract another layer of consumers that hadn't previously given much consideration to Polk.

As long as the line is being updated visually, it would also make sense to incorporate the latest advances in terms of driver technology.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited November 2007
    Nice Karma

I kinda like the looks (still). I'm not crazy about the side firing woofers because of where they may be placed for a home theater set up. My speakers are sqeezed between my TV and the audio rack (I use every inch of space on the entire wall. I'm actually worried how I could fit a new TV when this one goes). I would be concerned about hearing vibrations from either the TV or the audio rack with a sub being so close.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited November 2007
    Has there been a drawing for this yet?
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited November 2007
    IN if still open to participants.

I would get rid of the LSi25s, or at least "unpower" them. I'd add a smaller floor stander w/o side firing woofers. Maybe give the 15s an extra midrange, and for the new Lsi11's, just the tweeter and one midrange in a nice, slender cabinet.

The 9s and 7s seem pretty good. I would come out with a newer, bigger LsiC with wood trim on the top and bottom. The LsiC is nice, but it seems a little insignificant compared to the rest of the speakers. Not quite big enough, not quite heavy enough. Maybe mount the tweeter on top to give it a newer look.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    The drawing will be on Sunday, November 18, 2007.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2007
    In please!

My suggestions for the LSi line would be:

LSi7 - increase the bass response just a tad and this would be the absolute jewel of the line (if it isn't already).

LSi9 - x-over revisions to smooth out the transitions between drivers to make this a better speaker for music. It's excellent for HT, but needs some tweaking to do music well.

LSi15 - upgrade the bass driver, the SQ of the bass is just a little behind the rest of the drivers, IMHO.

LSi25 - not sure you need this one if you upgrade the LSi15.

Awesome Karma! Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2007
    How'd the drawing go?
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited November 2007
    What drawing ?
    Sal Palooza
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    The drawing will be on Sunday, November 18, 2007.

No drawing yet ?
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    Drum roll please..........
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.