dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
CLOSED

This Karma is for a Polk Audio Surround Bar. This is the same SB that was passed around for reviews, awhile back.

Here's some history...

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42460&highlight=surround+bar+demo

It's touched many hands, and the basic requirement was that they post a review....and that never happened for a few folks. I guess they were to busy to offer an opinion.

Whatever, who cares....they didn't, but Polk is offering this Surround Bar for Karma.

The product and shipping is FREE and the unit is 100% functional, albeit, a couple scratches, and a ding on the body. It's silver in color and will be shipped in new packaging.

KARMA REQUIREMENTS:

"Do you think the LSi line should be updated, upgraded or completely overhauled?"

Just answer the Karma question and let me know that you are "in"...and we're solid.

This Karma is open to participating members only. That means you contribute and post every now and then...not all the time. Your post count doesn't need to be high to join the karma but it should exist.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    I've never heard a LSi's series speaker. But as far as looks go, it doesn't appear to be aging yet.

EDIT: After reading other responses, I've never been crazy about side firing woofers either. I believe in the LSI's case, it's to have a narrower footprint and keep the WAF up. One way to keep a somewhat narrow stance and get rid of the side firing woofer would be to have a pair of 8" front firing woofers, which would change it's clean look. Appearance wise, I believe running the veneer all the way up the sides, and even a sheet on the front panel, stopping at the bottom of the mid driver would be a nice touch.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited November 2007
    I'm not sure what "participating member" means but I would like to be included if I qualify.

I only wish to have the LSiC overhauled and made bigger. The 7's, 9's, 15's, and 25's are fine.

Perhaps add a Lsi15 without the side firing woofer?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    IN LIKE FLYNN

My opinion? Yeah, it's time to refresh the LSi's. Particularly in the looks department. I love the look with the grill on but, sans grill, I just have never cared for the look...plus, the LSi's have been out for, what, 5 years? That's an eternity in the life span of a consumer product.

I wouldn't dick with the sound or even the lineup compliment. I just think it's time to update the cabinetry.

Now...if Polk wanted to make a 'statement' line-up. I'd REALLY love to see what Polk could come up with given carte blanche to come up with a real reference quality speaker...

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited November 2007
    Doro; "Do you think the LSi line should be updated, upgraded or completely overhauled?"

For what Polk does at the price point they are trying to achieve, I think no. Their LSI line is fine.

As far as upgrading? What's wrong with it?

Overhauled? To step into the next level? 10% should be devoted everyday toward achieving that goal. By the year 2009, we should see the end result. ;)

In please.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    In

As far as the LSi's, they should probably be updated again in the next coupld of years. Maybe lose the integrated amp on the 25 and a model between the 9 and 15... Maybe a LSi7 with an 8" woofer on bottom in tower form. As far as woofers go, they could probably add some throw and weight with the new tech that's out there to get them to dig a little lower and louder.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2007
    In

There are some cosmetic changes that would be nice on the LSi line. (Removable wood sides, smaller grill on the front of the 15's and 25's, the curved sides of the RTiA line are just sexy, etc.)

With that being said - the sound for the pricepoint they are offered at is still great. I would rather see the LSi line go unchanged for another 5 year cycle (except maybe some minor cosmetic freshening) and a new "Signature" or "SRS" line be offered above the current LSi line.

While a great speaker and one I am proud to own - the LSi is still not what I would consider a flagship speaker and the best a company like Polk could produce. I look forward to hearing where Polk goes from here.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited November 2007
    In please.

Upgrade them with cabinets like the new RTiA line. Lose the powered sub in the 25's. Lose the powered sub in the 15's and call it an LSi-11.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2007
    Heck yeah I'm in. I've never head LSIs, but I think it's time to star a new. I think Polk need another iconic speaker that gets the audio world talking, not just because of the sound, but also the price.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2007
    Hell yeah, throw me in...

I think the LSi line is sweet, but a few changes are in order.

1. The mid/woofer should be bumped up to Polk's more traditional size of a 6 1/2" driver. Leave the tweeter alone!

2. How about a tower/sub package. The towers comprise of 4 mid/woofers and a tweeter and come packaged with a special "whoop your ****" sub OR you could buy the towers alone (for those of us with big subs already.).

I had a pair of LSi 7's and loved them! They had to go unfortunately due to downsizing gear inventory. There is room for that soundbar though, ;)

John
    No excuses!
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited November 2007
    I'm in:

I have had and loved the complete LSi line, I still have a mint pair of 9's which I will never sell, that being said:

1. I think the body should include an all glossy black body.
    2. The side panel should be offered in maybe one more color.
    3. I think they have aged well, and for right now will stand the test of asthetics and function as Polk's high end speaker.

CRj
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    Yes please throw me in. I have major audio withdrawal!:eek:

I think a revision is in order. The styling of the LSIs (floorstanders) looks a little dated to me and the side firing subs need some rethinking.

My vote : UPDATED
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited November 2007
    In Please

I've never heard an LSi speaker, never had the chance to, no dealers sold them near me. Because I've never heard them I would say they need updated. Personally I don't care for the looks of them at all. If I'm going to lay down big bucks for speakers I want some beautiful wood veneered cabinetry. Piano black just doesn't do it for me (even with wood side panels). That's just my opinion...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    edited November 2007
    In.

I would like to see a smaller version of the LSIFX's.

Rock on!

G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited November 2007
    Cool Karma

P
    Life without music would
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited November 2007
    Cool Karma. I'm in.

Having just bought a pair of LSi15's.... Don't F with the sound of these things!!! They sound fantastic for the pricepoint.

I think that the LSi line could use a freshening in visual appeal. I love the looks of the 15's, but they have been out a while. The challenge would be increased visual appeal, but minimizing the cost impact. Offer more than two finishes (cherry and ebony) and keep some aspect of the piano black in the design.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2007
    Nice Karma. I already won a Polk karma, so not in.

Heard the LSi line for the first time at Chicago fest (15, 9 and 7's).
    Soundwise, I think they are awesome as they are for the price point.
    I would not change anything cosmetically to the bookshelves, but the floorstanders IMO need some warmer lines and less piano gloss.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited November 2007
    In please.

I would like to see an LSI SDA hybrid that combines the imagery of the SDAs with the exactness of the LSI line. Keep the Vifa tweeter and upgrade the drivers to a larger size like the SDAs...
    Also, provide a little bit larger side firing woofer to handle HT applications, and hold onto the glossy black finish of the current LSI line.
  • Paul in Canada
    Paul in Canada Posts: 178
    edited November 2007
    In please.

I have not listened to LSi line. I do really like their look. Don't change anything, eveybody seems to love their sound.
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"

"It's futile to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." demaples July 29/08
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited November 2007
    Count me in please.

I absolutely love my LSi7, wouldn't change a thing about it. it looks beautiful and sounds fantastic. I guess Polk could get a different sound out of the LSi line, but I doubt they could get a "better" sound at this pricepoint. Different may be better for some, but not for othersl, but I don't know if you'd risk the reputation of the LSi line just to get a different sound...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2007
    In.

completely overhaul
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    In please. However considering that I have never owned the LSi line (only heard them) I think the sound is great. I do think that the cabinets could be adjusted to be a little more "modern" to stand out against its counterparts.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    In Please

The LSi line is really well built and I am completely satisfied with them. They have a classic look.

If they were to be changed, they could use a few aesthetical upgrades. Something sleek and simple. I do think that just simply repackaging a speaker line with new looks isn't enough, so it might help doing a few tweaks and refinements to make the LSi line that much better than it already is. I think the key is to make sure you can keep them in the price range that they're currently at.

My vote is for Updated/Upgraded. An overhaul makes it a new line.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    In please. The LSi line is very good and is a line that could stand pat for many years (much like many of the other mfgs have done). Rather than redo the LSi, maybe venture back into speakers "above" the LSi line. A very limited market no less...but maybe worth the effort.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited November 2007
    In.

A few tweaks is all they need- make teh LSi 25's biampable (tweeter on one set of posts, mids on another, keep the high-level input...)
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • 2michaud
    2michaud Posts: 132
    edited November 2007
    I'm in! I just have to write one of those really nice reviews you see all over the internet? Cool, I always wanted to write a review.

I think the LSi series is an amazing series already and they are perfectly adequate to sell for a couple more years. However it is often in the company's best interest to keep their lines as updated as possible. So I suppose it is a toss up. My opinion is that it is just fine for now.:D
    I think Bananas are awesome fruit.

HT: Polk Audio RTi8 x2, Polk Audio CSi5, Polk Audio FXi3 x2, Velodyne DPS-12, Harman/Kardon AVR 247, Samsung 245BW Moniter/TV, Yamaha S1700 DVD/SACD, BJC Optical Cable, 12 guage speaker cable, Monster Standard Subwoofer Cable, Monster Lightspeed 1000 Optical Cable, Z-Line component rack, APC SurgeArrest 11-outlet.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=81835
    In please

Make the LSi a little more efficient and your in like Flynn
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2007
    In

LSi 7, 9 & 15 (These I have heard) I won't comment on the 25's

Looks - Good
    Sound - Great
    Change - NO

LSiC

Looks - Good
    Sound - I think the CSi5 is better for HT
    Change - YES

New Product line

Please!!! As many have mentioned already, I too would like to see what they can come up with in a product line above the LSi series.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    In please (I can use it!)

I chose Rti12' for my setup due to the reviews and a few auditions I was able to get in of the Lsi series. The word on the street was that they were great music speakers and the Rti's were better HT speakers. I think most of the world is looking for 5.1/7.1 type setups out there. Very few people are still 2 channel (although the current ones are the most enthusiastically).

So I would push the Lsi's with that in mind with a redesign. I would do aesthetic changes to make them look more contemporary. People should want to add them into their ht setups. I think there’s a lot of speaker options out there for the price of the LSis. I can also say that I just would not be interested in the Lsi25 with the build in sub amp. Polk Subs are just no interesting for their price, not enough power. If you do keep the design, you gotta get an Amp in there. I just don’t get the whole sub in the speaker thing as it is. Why? Preout subs are everywhere now, I don’t see the need for them in 2007. I think you are trying to just do to much in one speaker.

I think they need to move more like the Rti series in number of drivers as you go up in “numbers”. Bigger and larger mids on a scale with their number (even if you choose to keep them a more musical speaker).

You got to get marketing out on them. On most of the Polk line, it just seems like marketing has disappeared with the exception of monitor series at CC and Best Buys.

Of course, don’t forget that not many people can drive 4ohm or even know how to.

So as you can see, most of my "pickin's" are on aesthetics and marketing. I think they are pretty decent sounding speakers for music tastes but you are missing an entire market.

I think all 3 lines should focus on the exact same specification: An all around good speaker no matter what its used for.

Monitor: low end
    Rti: middle end
    Lsi: high end
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    I'm in.

In my opinion, I think the LSi line should be completely updated. Having heard many of Polk's previous offerings, I like the sound, but I feel that there is more room for improvement.

First of all, aesthetics play a huge role. With the advent of flat-panel TVs, sleek projectors, and stylish game consoles, most of the public is looking for something that looks nice. When my mom saw the Polks, she said they were nice, but could look better. Now, one could say that the LSi line is targeted towards audiophile consumers, but still, even then, WAF plays a great role. I say make something that looks nice yet sounds great and you'll have a wonderful speaker.

As far as sound goes, I'd like something that's a little bit more efficient than the current LSi's are. Sure there are many people with dedicated amplifiers, which is fine, but there are many other customers who want to try out the high-end LSi speakers with their current receiver. Making the speakers more efficient would draw a bigger crowd to a wonderful speaker. Again, with flat panel TVs hitting critical mass with new plasmas and LCDs, most consumers are looking for something that will match their new sleek, stylish system. Changing the LSi line while improving the sound quality would be very beneficial, as many want good looks and great sound.

Furthermore, I feel that catering to the high-end consumer is a good thing, but it would be even better to keep the high-end and also design a product that the average Joe can use with his 7.1 receiver. As a result, I feel the LSi line should be definitely updated and also the sound could be improved. That would make it an absolutely wonderful speaker. Like stated before, family members liked the sound of Polk speakers, but the aesthetics could be improved. We ended up going with a pair of Definitive Technology speakers, not because Polks don't sound good, but because of the WAF. That is something to keep in mind. Make a great speaker - looks good, sounds good, and usable by everyone - and then you have a true SUCCESS. That's what I'm looking for in the future from the LSi line.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited November 2007
    In
    Leave them be

Maybe a new SDA offering called 4.1,the plans should already be around here somewhere.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2