Comments

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited November 2007
    Im in.

I think that the lsi series should be upgraded and redesigned to appear more like the paradigm reference or signature series with options of different types of finishes and a few more drivers. The narrow deep look should stay the same but with an empahasis on more design options regarding finishes.

And whatever you do make certain that whoever sells them pair it with decent seperates. I listened to the 15s and 25s both and was dissapointed in the sound because it was demoed with a 110wpc receiver. Later on I heard them with a decent amp and wow what a difference. First impressions are everything in a luxury item.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited November 2007
    I think the LSIs could use a face lift/redesign, especially moving the powerport off the bottom of the cabinet on the 15 and 25.

I'm in please
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited November 2007
    In please. I'd think about staying basically the same, with updated cabinetry. For appealing to more people... if the components stay about the same, hopefully the prices should come down. I'm assuming making them 8ohm would change them completely (?), but would also appeal to more people's gear.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited November 2007
    In please.

I've only heard the bookshelves but was very impressed. I think they sound and look great.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2007
    in please. I think a minor update is all that's needed. I love them the way they are.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2007
    In please. I would like too see the Lsi cabinets get a face lift. At least the wood panel take a more refined shape. I think a total redesign will also cause the price to take a big jump. To me, the best thing about the Lsi's is that it has the sound quality of a higher end speaker at a price a family man can still justify spending.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    In Please - Great addition to the game room.

I own the LSi9's, LSiC & LSiF/X. IMO the speakers look great and sound great. They are difficult to drive so if that could be changed without affecting anything then that would be my choice. As well, it would be nice if the LSiC & the LSiF/X came with the option of matching the appearance of the 9's that I own. Having all 5 speakers either in piano black gloss or a combination (Cherry with piano gloss on top) like the 9's would be my preference. BTW - Nice Karma Mark.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited November 2007
    In please. I've only had the pleasure of hearing LSi7's once and they sounded very detailed to me. They also look awesome. However, all products need improving to keep with the newest competition so I'd say it's time for an update.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited November 2007
    In please.

I like the Lsi's. Maybe a freshening of the look, dump the piano black, but that's about it. It wouldn't hurt to have better distribution of them as well.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    snow wrote: »
    Im in.

I think that the lsi series should be upgraded and redesigned to appear more like the paradigm reference or signature series with options of different types of finishes and a few more drivers. The narrow deep look should stay the same but with an empahasis on more design options regarding finishes.

REGARDS SNOW

^^ Thats exactly what I was thinking with my statement. I've I were going ot buy new speakers at that price level, I would be buying the Paradigm's.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited November 2007
    In please!!

The LSi line is due for a makeover, whether it be minor or major. The LSi's main competition is the P-dime Studio reference, and they have undergone two updates I beleive in the same period. Time to freshen things up a bit.

The biggest change should be in marketing. Polk need to focus on the Boutique shops or the higher end mail order line, such as Audio-Advisor to get the product into the audio community.

Or, Polk could go radical, and sell the LSi's as Internet direct. In all reality, they would only tick off Crutchfield and Fry's, and probably not all that much.

The point being, the competition has upped the anty, and Polk must respond if the LSi series is expected to keep and grow in marketshare in an ever-increasingly crowded marketplace.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited November 2007
    In please,

I would agree with most everyone. Upgrade to a larger woofer and redo the cabinets!

Thanks

Steve
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    In ....

The smaller versions look/feel(solid) and sound great , as do the larger versions....my only gripe would be the side firing drivers on the larger versions....down firing would clean that up nicely. Polk already has engineering time invested in a very fine downfiring setup ( SRT ) that could be adapted to a smaller footprint.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2007
    I think the LSI's are pretty good as a whole. If they choose to change them I would like to see a more basic design with high quality drivers, and simple crossovers with top notch components. I sometimes feel the complexity of the LSI's interferes with the music.

As a side note. I would love to see Polk introduce a higher line. Something to truly compete with the big dogs.

In Please!
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited November 2007
    In Please!!!

Awsome karma by the way.

As far as the LSI's I think that they sound great and if it aint broke dont fix it. I just wished I owned a pair of them. The surroundbar would go great in my livingroom by the way.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited November 2007
    Definitely in for the karma! The surround bar would be a great addition to the bedroom. I think the LSi bookshelf models and center channel should be mostly left alone. I think they are excellent sounding, looking, and a very good value for the price. The floorstanders should be rethought/redesigned. They don't seem to offer the equivalent sound/$ ratio.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited November 2007
    in for sure. don't have any lsi's and haven't gotten a chance to hear any since no one in my town seems to sell them.

everyone loves a re-designed product from the bottom up due to it being the newest thing out there. of course, some have more faith in a tried and true product that has been refined over time. i would say whatever costs the consumer the least amount of money for the greatest amount of product would be the way to go. hope this qualifies for the karma.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited November 2007
    Not in. I have no real use for it at the moment.

Damn nice Karma.

As for the LSi line, well i would vote for overhaul. Everyone likes something new. Not saying there is anything wrong with the current line of course. Just a progression maybe, similar sound, looks, smell, taste or what have you but i would like to see something new, born of the LSi's.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited November 2007
    Waaay in!!

I really cant comment on the LSi series because I've never heard them properly powered.
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2007
    Awesome Karma. In please.

To answer Marks question. A minor cosmetic redo in the short run with a complete overhaul and new marketing approach in the not to distant future.

I have only listened to the LSi series in Tweeter and was not impressed because they were powered with an AVR and placed within inches of another speaker and about 12 feet apart. This is what I believe is the LSi biggest problem.

I love the MTM design but I do not really like the looks of the current LSi series and would like to see a fresher, cleaner, simple but elegant look.

To repeat what ( Either Cathy or Darla has said many times) a LSi 9 derived tower would be a great addition to the line. Someone else also mentioned utilizing 6.5" drivers which is something I would also like to see. Personally I would like to see an LSi tower with Passive Radiators like the RTA 11t. I don't know if that would work but I would sure like a speaker in that configuration.

My question to Polk Audio is, Who is Polk Audio looking to sell an LSi series to?

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2007
    I'm in with some gin.

I've owned the 15s, 9s, 7s and the C and while I think they're fine speakers they surely can be improved upon. One of the main downfalls is all the speakers use mids that don't live up to the XT25 tweeter's performance. The Vifa XT25 is one of the finest tweeters available on the market (if you cross it over high enough; it suffers from horrible 2nd and 3rd order distortion below 2khz - see attachment) and pairing it with mediocre mids is a real disappointment. For a few bucks more per driver Polk could include a better mid with much lower distortion that would take the LSis to another level.

Another downfall is the poor quality 8" woofer in the LSi15s. Come on Polk, don't skimp on the bass. There is a common misconception that bass distortion is the least noticeable but actually the lowest frequencies are the most critical of all.

The reason it is the most critical and also the reason it is not recognized as the most critical is in the Munson equal loudness curve. At low frequency our hearing is rolling off pretty fast. It's a function of level and at the lowest levels the roll off is about -24 dB/oct. At about 90 dB, which is a more typical listening level, it is about -20 dB/oct. So here is what that means: You play a 20 Hz tone on a woofer having a 2nd harmonic at -20 db (10% 2nd harmonic distortion) and your ear hears both the 20 Hz and the 40 Hz 2nd harmonic at the same loudness. (100% perceived 2nd harmonic distortion).

The industry, in general, has long argued that tests have proven that distortion at low frequency is hardly noticeable. Well, if they start with a woofer that has more than 100% perceived distortion and they intentionally induce another 10% it's no wonder they conclude 10% induced distortion is not very noticeable. The 10% induced equates to another 100% perceived so if they have a woofer that is only as good as the LSi15s woofer then they are starting with well over 100 %. They may think they are comparing something very low to the 10% they induce but in reality they are perhaps comparing 200% to 300% in terms of the perceived distortion.

Well, enough of the technical talk! In short, Polk needs to spend a few more dollars in R&D which will yield a much, much better speaker that could rival speakers in the $10k+ range. I've listened to many high end speakers, especially at the recent RMAF, and if Polk would just instate the aforementioned suggestions I know they will have a huge winner!

Polk LSi Vifa XT25 distortion profile:
    XT25-HD.gif
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited November 2007
    In Please.

I think an overhaul is in order, with how old these are now. I would really like to see a smaller-bookshelf design; not "satellite" small, but smaller than the 7's.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Awesome karma!! Im about to buy a new house (if everything goes thru right) and this would go great with my new Panasonic 50" plasma that Ill soon be getting. So definitely count me in.

As for the LSi's - I wouldnt say they need to be messed with other than maybe some cosmetic touches as they sound pretty damn great as is. I think I would rather see Polk come out with a speaker line a notch above the LSi's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited November 2007
    In please
    And shootin' for a redisign.Some folks have allready pointed out the 4 ohm thing and wanting to run them off AVR's.But that was not Polks target.Polk has many speakers for all and for every usage.If the LSI line is to stay an upper end speaker,give it a little more on the WAF,and maybe a smaller footprint.Sound wise,I dig 'em.Though not a big fan of the powered subwoofer in a speaker.LOOSE the amp and put the money into better quality parts.Offer up some more finishes.And have the Polk police come around once in awhile to these nitwit retailers who don't know how to demo a toaster.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    an emphatic IN!!!!!!

I loved that surround bar, enough so to reccomend it to friends, with one actually buying one. a great product overall, and in its price point. great surround ability in a speaker that fits over a big TV or wall mounts up front = no brainer

The LSi? herd to imagine getting a better product at the price point. A cabinet freshening up perhaps?, but nothing major. If I had to play devil's advocate, I would say a bigger center channel option, with 4 5.25 drivers instead of 2. I say keep the LSi as is and go for a higher statement line overall, one more for showing what polk can do, even if it doesnt come close to a good profit margin.

hmmmm, a slim line SDA product perhaps. We see SDA working in current day with the surround bar, ther ehas gotta be a way to work it into a modern statement product thats truly bad@ss.

but for the LSi's, I am pretty much in the if it aint broke, dont fix camp (or at least not too much)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited November 2007
    I'm in.

LSi's and updating them? Yes, like someone said, I would like to get the sound stage of SDA's combined with the sweet sound of LSi's. I have both (LSi15 and 7's, and SDA 1C's) and both are great, a combination of the two would make me very happy customer.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2007
    In please.
    My old system had to get the boot due to recent changes:(

Well you know my taste, but I must concur that the current LSI line up needs to be a bit more user friendly. I love amps. Big honkin amps! I love to build my speakers all at a 4ohm loads. I don't like 8ohms (not looking for comments hear(I splelt that right)). A 6ohm more efficient speaker would be the cats meow.

I know Polk can easily pull this off.
    It would be much more user friendly.
    It would still please the amp guys, and gals;)
    Almost all stores show them off with a receiver driving them.
    I have heard a few LSI's this way, and was not impressed.
    Polk would end up selling more of them.

Go 6 ohms, more efficient, and update the cabs a bit.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2007
    Like others I haven't had an opportunity to hear the LSI line, but from an appearance standpoint I think an update is in order. To be perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of gloss wood, and I think that, coupled with the side firing woofers in the bigger models tend to make them unatractive.
    The LSI 9's and 7's are fine, other than the high gloss (something Id consider with a sub), But I can tell you, living in the desert, my wife would hate how the gloss showed dust.

Oh yeah. Thanks, I'm in. Nice Karma.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,425
    edited November 2007
    Not in. Great karma, though!

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2007
    Kill the 15's and the LSi9 and C. Pull the amp from the 25's and offer tri-amping on them (passive) along with a new floor standing LSi7 with a side firing woof. Offer up the SWA-500 with custom SPEX cards for the two (new) floorstanding models, if they (Joe consumer) want the woofer powered. Take the 9 and C and make an LCR sold individually. Keep the FX.

Only thing else I can think of to cover all the bases is an LSi micro, same tweeter, same crossover point, but super small, LF limited. On wall perhaps?

Not in.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.