07 civic tweater location

eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well, looks like now that i dont have a job im gonna have time to finish it all.

I dont like the factory tweater locations near the windshield, to hard to get in there and make room to put my momos.

I've decided to put them in the doors.

PassDoor.jpg
DriverDoor.jpg

Was thinking that the part that looks triangular and sticks out would be a good place, it is somewhat angled to the center of the car....

Feelings?
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited November 2007
    the tweeter is not that difficult

this is how to do it:

take a medium screw driver, and lift the tweeter cover, it should pop up very easily.

the tweeter is atached to the tweeter-cover.

when you take out the tweeter-cover, you should see the cable and a little harness to take the tweet out.

but...

the reason that the tweet is in the dashbord is becouse, the windshield reflects the high frecuencies, making better and stronger highs.

also you can see that the highs on the civics sound like its coming from the middle of the dash.

remember that the sound design on hondas is made by Alpine
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    ummm no, not even cloes to what i was asking about :-D installer for life or mac, can u guys help me out here?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Manilaboy
    Manilaboy Posts: 49
    edited November 2007
    I also thought of mounting a tweeter there because I didn't like the location of the stock tweeter mounts, but then I thought it would be a lot easier to just install a coax... for me, it sounds better with the mids and tweets in the same location with the tweets angled towards the center of the car... but I'd also like to know how it sounds if you do decide to place the tweets near the power controls :D

Photo-0114-1.jpg
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    OMG who isntalled your speakers, thats exactly how i want to do mine, i hate the stock grill.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Manilaboy
    edited November 2007
    I did it myself :) It's easy. After removing the sidings and deadening the doors, I cut a 5-in hole in the stock speaker grille..
    Photo-0153.jpg
    DSC01940-1.jpg

Next I gutted the stock speaker, cutting out the cone and motor and left the speaker mounting frame in its original location (so that it still meshes with the siding but effectively creating a hole for the new speaker)
    Photo-0150.jpg

I put the door siding back and then I simply screwed the speaker on the remaining portion of the stock grille.

Photo-0117.jpg

All done! Hope this helps :)

Photo-0116-1.jpg
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    omg i love u, do u have AIM?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    only thing is i cut the door frame and i had to cut the bracket off for the stock speakers i dont know how well it will hold without vibrations.... hmmm
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Manilaboy
    edited November 2007
    Hehe. If your stock speaker mounting frame doesnt have any brackets anymore, you can simply screw it to the metal frame of the door in approximately the same position it would be as if they were mounted using the brackets and pad it with thin foam or something where the plastic comes in contact with the metal frame. This is much easier than making an mdf spacer, and the stock mount meshes perfectly with the plastic sleeve surrounding the speaker hole on the siding. The plastic siding doesnt vibrate that much even if the speaker is screwed directly on it because I also lined it with flashband and i covered it up with foam insulation (the silver sheet in the pic).

Sorry what's aim?
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    aol isntant messanger.
    Umm yeah thats iwhat i was thinking dril a hole into it and just mount it like a regular spacers.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Kinetic
    edited November 2007
    sorry sometimes i dont read carefully
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Manilaboy
    edited November 2007
    Oh, I have msn messenger... leosarne@hotmail.com. I'm looking forward to see pics of your finished project. I'm thinking of getting to momo speakers myself coz I like the grille better ;)
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    haha, i have a set i may not use..... i might just go with front only.... really have been thinking about it, i just am always driving people around and right now with only front stock speakers people in the back only hear my subs.... idk we will see but ill let u know on that. im thinking i may just glue the old speaker brackets on the door frame...
    i gotta mail out my amp tomarow and get it fixed, grrrrr ive been procastinaiting for far too long now. i really wana get everything all set up and put all my panels back on correctly, im still wondering about dynamating the trunk... i have the rear deck down right now, 2 layers actualy, did u happen to change your speakers in the rear deck too?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Manilaboy
    edited November 2007
    Ya, gluing them on is a better idea coz it would form a tighter seal. You might also consider using something like the rubber compound like the one used to attach the plastic moisture barrier to the door, i think it can be bought in peel-off strips like 3-m tape.

Regarding the rear speakers, I also think I'll keep it stock for now while I'm trying to decide whether to get the momo coax or the momo seps for the front. In any case, the dbs are the ones going in the back.

I might just try dynamatting the rear deck as well coz it rattled like crazy when the sub was in the trunk... so I took the sub out of the trunk, made a new enclosure and mounted it in the back seat... :)

Photo-0251.jpg

good luck on your project! :)
  • dirthog
    dirthog Posts: 124
    edited November 2007
    Kinetic wrote: »

this is how to do it:

take a medium screw driver, and lift the tweeter cover, it should pop up very easily.

the tweeter is atached to the tweeter-cover.

when you take out the tweeter-cover, you should see the cable and a little harness to take the tweet out.

but...

the reason that the tweet is in the dashbord is becouse, the windshield reflects the high frecuencies, making better and stronger highs.

also you can see that the highs on the civics sound like its coming from the middle of the dash.

I also have heard a lot of people having very good results with the tweeter in the dash location.
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    momo tweaters are too large to put there unless u modify the aluminum which is wayyy to annoying to get to.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Kinetic wrote: »

Bouncing the tweeters off the windshield does NOT make better highs. Stronger maybe due to the reflection but by no means better. And the image will NOT be coming from the middle of the dash. If I turn my time alignment off, the image goes right to the left a pillar.

Trust me, Ive been fighting with mine for ages and am having all kinds of problems with them. Thats why I crossed my mids over so high - the reflection of the tweeter were scattering the image all over the place.

And I have a really hard time believing Alpine had anything to do with designing Honda's audio setup cause its horrible. The mids firing into the fire wall is idiotic! What more than likely happened is that Honda designed the car and then went to Alpine and said, "design us a system but you can only put things here and here." I guarantee you if Alpine had designed that system, the mids wouldve been in the kicks and the tweeters wouldve been in the A pillars.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Kinetic
    edited November 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Bouncing the tweeters off the windshield does NOT make better highs. Stronger maybe due to the reflection but by no means better. And the image will NOT be coming from the middle of the dash. If I turn my time alignment off, the image goes right to the left a pillar.

Trust me, Ive been fighting with mine for ages and am having all kinds of problems with them. Thats why I crossed my mids over so high - the reflection of the tweeter were scattering the image all over the place.

And I have a really hard time believing Alpine had anything to do with designing Honda's audio setup cause its horrible. The mids firing into the fire wall is idiotic! What more than likely happened is that Honda designed the car and then went to Alpine and said, "design us a system but you can only put things here and here." I guarantee you if Alpine had designed that system, the mids wouldve been in the kicks and the tweeters wouldve been in the A pillars.

i didnt knew about the SQ

the HU is made by Alpine, but i think that the speakers position should be hondas problem.

thanks for that
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    Its highly doubtful that the HU is made by Alpine...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Kinetic
    edited November 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Its highly doubtful that the HU is made by Alpine...
    -Cody

that im sure
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    sigh, the Navi is made by alpine the regular HU that i removed is def not alpine i forget what brand it was, ill go look in a bit.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Manilaboy
    edited November 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I guarantee you if Alpine had designed that system, the mids wouldve been in the kicks and the tweeters wouldve been in the A pillars.

What if the tweeters were located near the powerwindow controls just above the location of the mids as originally posted by Eloplayspolo.... I myself was thinking of doing this, is this also good location?
  • Manilaboy
    edited November 2007
    sigh, the Navi is made by alpine the regular HU that i removed is def not alpine i forget what brand it was, ill go look in a bit.

the philippine version has a fujitsu ten hu :)
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    fujitsu 10, oldschool, aka eclipse my dad swears by it.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Manilaboy
    edited November 2007
    fujitsu 10, oldschool, aka eclipse my dad swears by it.

I guess thats good? It powered the stock speakers nicely before, and its still powering my rear-fill and I have no complaints about the sound quality :)
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    o yeah the stock system suprised me, the bass was really good.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Manilaboy
    edited November 2007
    yeah, considering the thimble-sized magnets on the stock speakers, the bass was quite good... I guess Honda's angling the mids a few degrees towards the firewall wasn't such a bad idea afterall haha :D
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    im just freaking stoked to finaly be able to hear this thing all together, i had my 03 civic install done and totaled the car 15 mins later and never got to hear it.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Manilaboy
    edited November 2007
    ...and I'm dying to see how a momo grille looks on the panels.... so get to it! hahaha :)

Sorry to hear about what happened to your other car, that's a real waste.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    if u look around the forums i posted pics.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Manilaboy wrote: »
    What if the tweeters were located near the powerwindow controls just above the location of the mids as originally posted by Eloplayspolo.... I myself was thinking of doing this, is this also good location?

Tonality wise it would be better to keep the tweeters as close to the mids as possible. However, staging and imaging usually suffer and putting the tweeter that low in the door will pull the stage down to way below the dash. This may not be a big deal to some people but to others, like me, this would drive me crazy hearing everything coming from below me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D