What the hell is going on in America???

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
My son came home from school today bummed because they don't recognize Halloween in his school . . . . why . . . they consider it an religious holiday!!!

WTF man?????????????

The children were also given homework because the school district decided that since it was a religious holiday the teacher couldn't have the option of giving no homework tonight because it would be a sort of celebration of a religious holiday!:mad:

Backasswards!!!
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    Sad, very sad.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited October 2007
    Hmmmm....

I thought Halloween was just a night on which kids put on costumes to go trick-or-treating in the neighborhood.

At least that's what I did when I was a kid.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    What? It's a religious holiday? I'm purposefully NOT doing anything related to Halloween today because of its origin.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2007
    recognize? should they get the week off?
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    What happened to just being human, and letting kids enjoy something. They don't know the "origins" or a damn thing about the politics of religion, and nor should they. There's plenty of time for their lives to be bogged down by those things, when you're 10 years old you just want to get dressed up scary and eat lots of candy with your friends one night out of the year.

All of you wtih kids, I hope you're in PTA meetings and such voicing your disgust with these types of policies.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    (with jewels held firmly in right hand) . . . .SHOUTS . . . . OFFEND THIS!!!!!
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited October 2007
    (with jewels held firmly in right hand) . . . .SHOUTS . . . . OFFEND THIS!!!!!

This reaction just might get you kicked out of the PTA meeting :D
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    I would have called the school, that's ridiculous!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    This reaction just might get you kicked out of the PTA meeting :D

Won't be the first time!:o
  • PhantomOG
    edited October 2007
    Seriously, what is the issue? Kids are still free to go trick-or-treating right? I really just don't see a problem here.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2007
    Seems like every October that school comes up with something for ya. :)
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited October 2007
    Good news- they can eat candy all night and you can call them in sick Thursday.
    I don't think the school board can stop that yet.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited October 2007
    What the hell is going on in America???

LAWYERS, there is no right and wrong anymore, just what is proved in court.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Seems like every October that school comes up with something for ya. :)

Totally different school in a totally different state. At least last year's school let the kids go to school with their halloween costumes on although they weren't allowed to bring anything in that remotely looked like a weapon.

Yea it looks like I might have an issue with the remaining Octobers in my life. . . well at least until my 10 year old moves onto college.:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Seriously, what is the issue? Kids are still free to go trick-or-treating right? I really just don't see a problem here.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did your school allow you to wear your costumes to school on Halloween day when you were a child? Were you encouraged to draw spooking things in class? C'mon man I think you are just taking the opposite view just for the sake of the opposite view. Every parent I've spoken to has the same issue I have. There isn't one that is happy with the decision that was made by the school board. I wasn't in this district at the time that meeting took place but I guarantee you at the next meeting there will be dozens of parents there putting down this decision.

From what I understand this subject was not placed on the agenda at the time the vote was taken so at least three of my neighbors knew nothing about a vote BAN Halloween.

BTW did you keep your kids from wearing their Halloween costumes to school today?
  • PhantomOG
    edited October 2007
    What was the decision?
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    What was the decision?

The decision was that Halloween was a religious holiday and the local public school system didn't want to offend or support any particular religion and therefore banned Halloween.

Again when the emails and letters were sent out about the meeting that was being held, nothing on the agenda stated anything about taking a vote as to whether Halloween should or should not be banned. This is what my wife and I have been told by our neighbors who were here before us. Had we been living here we both would have been at that meeting.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited October 2007
    I'm sure your children got to have their moment of silence though, right. The world is slowly coming to an end. I am soooooo glad I'm not a kid today. They have so many more "adult" issues which they are forced to deal with.

Whatever happened to just being a kid? It's a damn shame they cancelled Halloween at school. We used to have Halloween parties, get dressed up, eat Taffy apples, bob for Apples and do mindless things that promoted peer interaction and as sort-of a reward for working hard in class.

It saddens me to see this happening.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited October 2007
    FWIW, Halloween is NOT a religious holiday. Tomorrow is.

For anyone who cares, it's short for All Hallows Eve (IIRC), since Nov.1st is a holiday, at least for Christians -- All Souls Day.

And no, I am not looking to turn this into a debate, nor am I a religious "nut". ;)

BTW, both my kids had Halloween parties in school today :p

Gotta go now, there's some kids at my door!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited October 2007
    Find out where the school board members live and egg the rat ****.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2007
    Actually, our guy's Presbyterian school does not "celebrate" Hallowe'en per se, but they do bring the kids to the Pumpkin patch and give them cool Hallowe'en stickers and stuff.

My understanding was that Hallowe'en, or Hallow[ed] E[v]en, was originally a pagan feast day, as suggested in this article from the History Channel:

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=713&display_order=1&mini_id=1076

It was common practice with the spread of Christianity to attempt to match Christian feast days with existing pagan feast days so that the pagans would not be hesitant to convert just because they would be losing an occasion to celebrate! FWIW ...
    Alea jacta est!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2007
    A bit off-topic...
    but does anyone remember when trick o' treatin' happened up until 10 PM or later? I actually saw kids roaming the streets at 2:30 today. Is there even anyone home to hand out the goodies?

And for the record, I'm only 30. That must mean some of you ol' timers were stills knocking on doors or egging houses well into November:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    What? It's a religious holiday? I'm purposefully NOT doing anything related to Halloween today because of its origin.

+1 with Audiobliss. Kids go to a christian school so they do whats called "joy night".
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Face
    edited October 2007
    A bit off-topic...
    but does anyone remember when trick o' treatin' happened up until 10 PM or later? I actually saw kids roaming the streets at 2:30 today. Is there even anyone home to hand out the goodies?

And for the record, I'm only 30. That must mean some of you ol' timers were stills knocking on doors or egging houses well into November:D
    I'm 30 also. I remember egging, shaving cream, spraying fire extinguishers out of cars, etc... I also used squirt bottle of mustard if I couldn't get shaving cream. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited October 2007
    My son came home from school today bummed because they don't recognize Halloween in his school . . . . why . . . they consider it an religious holiday!!!

WTF man?????????????

The children were also given homework because the school district decided that since it was a religious holiday the teacher couldn't have the option of giving no homework tonight because it would be a sort of celebration of a religious holiday!:mad:

Backasswards!!!

The schools these days are just trying to create weak minded government drones. Nothing more, nothing less. But blame this on the people that hated Christmas and Easter....once they had to take that out of schools they had to take everything out of schools.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    Face wrote: »
    I'm 30 also. I remember egging, shaving cream, spraying fire extinguishers out of cars, etc... I also used squirt bottle of mustard if I couldn't get shaving cream. :D

Get the hell out of here, you kids are amateurs!!!:D:D:D:D
  • Face
    edited October 2007
    Well, I didn't want to mention pumpkins full of urine and nair bombs, but you just made me go there. :D
  • daesdaemar
    daesdaemar Posts: 34
    edited October 2007
    Political correctness run amok... so sad... :(
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    All the teachers and kids were dressed up at my school!! But I have homework...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2007
    I agree Joe, too many things have changed from the old traditional values. That's why I like Yellowknife - Pure Old Fashion values, THE CANADIAN WAY! The rest of them can go fly a F*^K*%G Kite.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°