Car Problem

13»

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2007
    Ok so my other question does the hoses get really hard? If the system can generate 14 - 17psi the hose will be HARD, if not you have a leak. Also a blown head gasket may also give you bobbles in the water flow of the radiator just when the thermostat opened, something else to check for.

PS you're quickly running out of thing to check may need a pro at this point.

BTW have you had the radiator ever serviced fluid change? I think even old fluid could cause this, but I would change out thermostat also if you decide to do that.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Yeah, I did. Sorry I haven't taken time to reply to it yet.

Basically, I don't know enough to really be able to give you any more advice. I'd personally say stay away from rental cars. I'd imagine they'd be beat to death.

I guess you're right, although used rental cars seem like a good deal.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Ok so my other question does the hoses get really hard? If the system can generate 14 - 17psi the hose will be HARD, if not you have a leak. Also a blown head gasket may also give you bobbles in the water flow of the radiator just when the thermostat opened, something else to check for.

PS you're quickly running out of thing to check may need a pro at this point.

BTW have you had the radiator ever serviced fluid change? I think even old fluid could cause this, but I would change out thermostat also if you decide to do that.

Yes, the hoses get really hard.

Never ever had a fluid change, I think THAT might be the problem.

Finally narrowing things down here...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Turned out to be just old coolant. In addition to idling in gear in Manhattan traffic that day for a LONG time.

Learned a few lessons here - change coolant as part of preventive maintenance so that it stays fresh... and when stuck in traffic for more than 20-30 minutes it's best to put the car in Neutral. So that there is no load on the engine and it won't overheat.

Again, thanks for all your help!

- Alex
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007
    Old coolant looses it stuff and the whole thing turns more into water acid. Water without antifreeze as a much lower boiling point, also the boiling point is raised when pressurized. That's why I kept pushing you on does the hoses get hard.

All in all happy you got it fixed, and you learned something in the end. Sweeeet.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    I would have removed the license plates and tossed a WillyP inside.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Old coolant looses it stuff and the whole thing turns more into water acid. Water without antifreeze as a much lower boiling point, also the boiling point is raised when pressurized. That's why I kept pushing you on does the hoses get hard.

All in all happy you got it fixed, and you learned something in the end. Sweeeet.

I'm happy it's fixed too.

Really appreciated all your help!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Attached is a picture of the coolant level. It's much higher than I have ever seen before, and over the MAX mark.

Does this tell you what's wrong?

To rewind the thread a half dozen posts, the coolant looks brown. Brown is bad. It's not the new black, no matter what the **** forum members say, its BAAAAAAAAD (my best sheep imitation).

Start with a system flush and fill, and have them check the thermostat and water pump while they do it (probably for free). I've never seen a radiator clog unless someone was dumping a ton of stop leak (or eggs) in it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    To rewind the thread a half dozen posts, the coolant looks brown. Brown is bad. It's not the new black, no matter what the **** forum members say, its BAAAAAAAAD (my best sheep imitation).

Start with a system flush and fill, and have them check the thermostat and water pump while they do it (probably for free). I've never seen a radiator clog unless someone was dumping a ton of stop leak (or eggs) in it.

Cheers,
    Russ

Yup, you're right, it was the coolant.

But the problem only showed up when idling for close to an hour...

You'd think it would show up 100% of the time.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1